• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think at least PS4 as targeted specs by BG, will move up to 1080P. It has the power, and the bandwidth, too.

Durango is more a mystery in my eyes.

Ryoku

I think at least PS4 as targeted specs by BG, will move up to 1080P. It has the power, and the bandwidth, too.

Durango is more a mystery in my eyes.

I can kind of see it, but I'll stick to my gut feeling that devs will rather use that extra power for graphics rather than a higher resolution. They'll have a great looking game @ 1080p, but they'd rather have an even better looking game @720p. Frankly, I can't stand by this assumption 100%, so I'll just wait and see once the system comes out. And yeah, Durango is up in the air in what to expect in relation to PS4. We've heard that it'll be more powerful than PS4, but from what we know, it seems it's only in RAM amount.

Yeah I'm not even going to bother with that thread. I just don't get how people think that price is too much when it's launching $50 more than the Wii did. I guess it doesn't even matter in the end because I was/am willing to buy it at $350 max.

The end of the presentation with nintendoland was lulz, complete silence with in-game fireworks playing in the background.

They were really awful fireworks, too. It looks like it might be okay for the background of the hub, but not something meant to be focused on for an extended period of time. And yet there it was, blown up huge on the screen for all to stare at.

I believe SA mentioned the fireworks were a late substitute for Retro's game being pulled.

They still sucked though.

Damn you GAF. It Is 3am and I can't sleep nor can I play games right now. Entertain me as you did in the WUST'S with the likes of IdeaMan, AceBandage, HylianTom, bgassassin, snesfreak, Burntpork, and EatChildren discussing all the latest wii u news. The days of old where 5 posts a minute were common. Where six speculations threads and over 110, 000 posts were written about the Wii U.

http://images.wikia.com/spongebob/images/9/96/Patrick_crying.gif

I've been more focused on designing a budget PC lately.

Nibel

Damn you GAF. It Is 3am and I can't sleep nor can I play games right now. Entertain me as you did in the WUST'S with the likes of IdeaMan, AceBandage, HylianTom, bgassassin, snesfreak, Burntpork, and EatChildren discussing all the latest wii u news. The days of old where 5 posts a minute were common. Where six speculations threads and over 110, 000 posts were written about the Wii U.

That discussion was fueld by insane (!) pre-E3 hype

So good, man. So good.

Anyone see the opening ceremony in London? Thought it was a major win for Nintendo with a kind in there playing on his 3DS... potential 1 billion people watching... Sony must be trying to superimpose a Vita into an old episode of Friends as we speak.

Anyone see the opening ceremony in London? Thought it was a major win for Nintendo with a kind in there playing on his 3DS... potential 1 billion people watching... Sony must be trying to superimpose a Vita into an old episode of Friends as we speak.

Yep. Product placement at it's finest. The problem is though, i doubt the mass market can even differentiate the 3ds with the regular ds still

Seance

Banned
But not Japan or Asia for that matter. The big regions of gaming seem to be:

North America
Japan
Europe
The rest of Asia
Oceanic (Australia)

Xbox is dominant in NA but second or a distant third in the rest of the regions. Sony is big in Europe and Japan. Nintendo is well balanced in all regions but obviously bigger in Japan.

Xbox is pretty huge in NZ, lol. Probabaly almost as popular as Wii.

Redford

aka Cabbie
Wonder what it'd be like if, in addition to everything else they promote about their devices in their advertising/PR, they went back to the tried and true "it has better graphics than our X system." And just plainly state it. It's usually mentioned somewhere, but saying something along the lines of "3DS is a Gamecube/Wii in your pocket" might have helped some differentiate it. (for me just envisioning WW level graphics is what clinched it for me)

Appeal to the little graphics whore in everyone, I guess.

I missed it but if that's true WOW another nail in the coffin.....

RealTechUSA on YouTube uploaded a video recently about building a budget gaming PC for I think $300? Not watched it but might be worth checking out.

Actually sub to that guy I'll have to check his videos now...

Hey I was just reading a article on the site you go for news about nintendo about vigil being frustrated about not being able to tell about DS II on Wii U. Anybody know why this is a problem still? Probably already discussed but Im confused here.

Q: THQ was one of the very first third-parties to jump on Wii U. You've got Darksiders II coming up for Wii U. Do you find it frustrating that - on the consumer-side at least - Nintendo is being very shy about the console's power? Is it frustrating to see people still having that argument when you know exactly what it can and can't do?

HD: Er...

Q: Do you wish Nintendo would just come out and say?

HD: Oh, of course. Yeah. It's awkward because when people ask questions about [Wii U] we've got to skirt around the answer. We obviously want them to come out with it because then we can just talk openly about the game. I'd rather just be open with people than spinning the answer back at somebody. As soon as they just come out and everything's revealed it would take a little bit of weight off us as developers so we can be a little bit more open about the product.

DjRoomba

Banned
They were really awful fireworks, too. It looks like it might be okay for the background of the hub, but not something meant to be focused on for an extended period of time. And yet there it was, blown up huge on the screen for all to stare at.

Yes, this is my point that the E3 was lacking the spectacle and attention to presentation of previous Nintendo E3's (like the sweet 2006, 2010, 2011 ones). The fireworks were the tip of the anti-climactic iceburg. I think the game itself (aswell as all the other announced games) seem cool though

Has the wii u BOM been leaked or something? Serious question. Alot of people in the shane shatterfield thread are saying that 300$ is a ripoff and the wii u doesn't cost/isn't worth anything within 100$ of that price

jerd

Has the wii u BOM been leaked or something? Serious question. Alot of people in the shane shatterfield thread are saying that 300$ is a ripoff and the wii u doesn't cost/isn't worth anything within 100$ of that price

Allow large groups of fanboys and haters to converse and you end up with all sorts of wild claims.

Nibel

Alot of people in the shane shatterfield thread are saying that 300$ is a ripoff and the wii u doesn't cost/isn't worth anything within 100$ of that price

There are a very few good posts in that thread and a bunch of bad ones by the same people. It's always the same people talking the same shit, you shouldn't give much about it. I don't understand why someone posts in a thread of a product he is not interested in at all.

I think that 300$ is a good price, but - let's dream a bit - if it was 250$, everybody would get that thing asap.

jerd

There are a very few good posts in that thread and a bunch of bad ones by the same people. It's always the same people talking the same shit, you shouldn't give much about it. I don't understand why someone posts in a thread of a product he is not interested in at all.

I think that 300$ is a good price, but - let's dream a bit - if it was 250$, everybody would get that thing asap.

If a Nintendo Land pack in is going to raise the price from 250 to 300 I really wish they would offer a 250 version without it...

Yeah I really shouldn't be in that thread anyway. I put out too much effort defending a product that I know I'm getting at launch and I know the person I am arguing with is not.

Edit: But seriously, do these people not want to take the 20 seconds to google previous consoles launches and see that they were far worse?? (Ok I'm done now)

I am not understanding that silly argument at all. And then to counter it they say its going up against ps3 & 360.. like really? What are you gonna say next year when the ps4/720 are coming out.

I'm tempted to pick one at launch, but please black, be available!
Hold my hands and lets pray.

Thing that gets me about these people though, anyone like them who actually went to a WiiU demo, always, 100% of the time (prove me wrong) came away saying their mind has changed and they think the WiiU is worthy... Soooo, what makes these haters who have never played WiiU so special? Honestly, no offence to anyone reading this, you might be one but I'm not saying you are :p, but, there are lots, and lots of weirdos on NeoGaf and what's the opinion of strange person worth these days? Absolutely nothing? I think so.

Sadist

I want the black one to be available at launch as well. As much as I like my white Wii, I want my Nintendo things black this gen. Got a black 3DS, want a black Wii U.

jerd

I want the black one to be available at launch as well. As much as I like my white Wii, I want my Nintendo things black this gen. Got a black 3DS, want a black Wii U.

You know we can't ALL get black. Are we gonna have to draw straws for the white ones?

Nibel

I'm with you

And I know I will get shot for this, but I had a black GC - fuck yeah

Nibel

Not shooting you for this, but riding by your side :)

ibvoIyLtMaIxbk.gif

Sadist

Have a black Cube as well. But that's mostly because I knew I wanted the Gameboy Player and I didn't want the purple Cube clashing with the GB Player :p

But not Japan or Asia for that matter. The big regions of gaming seem to be:

North America
Japan
Europe
The rest of Asia
Oceanic (Australia)

Xbox is dominant in NA but second or a distant third in the rest of the regions. Sony is big in Europe and Japan. Nintendo is well balanced in all regions but obviously bigger in Japan.

IMO, the reason why there was more Japanese 3rd party games for the 360 & why Microsoft got lucky with Japanese 3rd party developers is because that the Wii wasn't a HD system, & because developing games for PS3 was difficult, as well as the rising software development costs on both PS3 & 360.

But next gen, it's going to be a whole lot different. Now that the Wii U is in HD, & that Sony will most likely have a easier to develop platform with PS4, then at the very least, Japanese 3rd party developers will no longer have to develop games for the 360 or for the 720, when they can easily develop their games onto Wii U & PS3/PS4 instead. And that could be problematic for Microsoft with future Japanese 3rd party support for 360 & 720 in general, especially when Japan doesn't exactly favor the Xbox brand & when Xbox in general has little to no exclusives (only Halo, Gears, Forza, & Fable), & are focusing on making a all-in-one kinectbox & mediabox more so than another gaming console for their next system, which will probably come back to bite MS in the rear next gen.

chris3116

All my console are either grey or white only my Sega Genesis, my N64 and my old PS2 are black. I don't really care what color will be my Wii U. I wanted a red Wii at first.

All my console are either grey or white only my Sega Genesis, my N64 and my old PS2 are black. I don't really care what color will be my Wii U. I wanted a red Wii at first.
Admit it. You want the black one :p
Black_Wii_U_JPEG.jpg

btw do you go to st.cloud or something? Dat avatar keeps me wanting to ask you that obviously lol.

big_erk

Yeah, but a $250.00 price tag would put Nintendo in the red at a time when they are trying to return to profitability. $300.00 is the sweet spot in pricing, even more so if they pack NintendoLand in at that price.

Some people were a bit irrational in that thread. I always thought $300 was a great price. People seem to want Wii U to compete with current generation consoles in price, but how is that possible? It's more powerful (despite what others want to believe), and it comes with a tablet controller.

I saw someone try to say that there is no reason to buy Wii U because its library is much smaller than current generation consoles, but that's true for any console launch. I don't know how Sony and Microsoft will price their systems, though. They may opt for a subscription model, or they may price it very competitively. Everyone was shocked by Vita's launch price. I'm not convinced we'll see $600 consoles again, so Nintendo shouldn't overestimate Wii U's price.

Meelow

Banned
Some people were a bit irrational in that thread. I always thought $300 was a great price. People seem to want Wii U to compete with current generation consoles in price, but how is that possible? It's more powerful (despite what others want to believe), and it comes with a tablet controller.

I saw someone try to say that there is no reason to buy Wii U because its library is much smaller than current generation consoles, but that's true for any console launch. I don't know how Sony and Microsoft will price their systems, though. They may opt for a subscription model, or they may price it very competitively. Everyone was shocked by Vita's launch price. I'm not convinced we'll see $600 consoles again, so Nintendo shouldn't overestimate Wii U's price.

Seriously?, lol it's launch it's not supposed to have 700 games at launch, I guess that guy is not going to get a PS4 and 720 at launch as well.

Also yeah the Wii U is going to compete with the PS4 and 720 so I don't understand why some people think the Wii U is competing with the PS3 and 360, it's not like the PS2 and GameCube stopped Xbox 360 from selling.

I'm with you

And I know I will get shot for this, but I had a black GC - fuck yeah

I went with silver and got the Metroid Bundle.... Hopefully the black one will come with something similar.... ZombiU+Black WiiU bundle.... Would be great and promote ZombiU sales...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom