• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's part why I haven't decided on the case/PS yet. I'm trying to make sure I have a great airflow while not having a large case. But I won't have a problem with replacing the stock cooler if necessary.

The video I linked to shows what's on the controller. Is that the full map?

Ya there is really no way to OC with stock cooler (other than maybe 100 or 200 MHz) if you do get an aftermarket cooler get an accelero they are amazing and VERY quiet. Like I mean whisper quiet almost.

If you do decide to OC with the stock cooler however, your comp may sound like a jet engine with the fanspeed increase.

Other than that build looks pretty good TBH, if you are looking for a mini-atx case I would suggest an Antec as they will have great airflow even for the mini's, and are solidly built.

If you don't mind the comp being out in the open (I think its easier to clean) check into the antec skelleton case

And then to counter it they say its going up against ps3 & 360.. like really? What are you gonna say next year when the ps4/720 are coming out.
It is launching against huge 360/PS3 software. This was my point in that thread at least. WiiU has great launch software... in comparison to most launch software... but it is not up against launch software. It's up against games on weaker systems that look better than games for it. Some titles astonishingly so.

And if the WiiU has a lot of big software next year? The PS4 and Durango launch games will be up against 2nd gen WiiU titles.

donny2112

The video I linked to shows what's on the controller. Is that the full map?

Doesn't look like it. It looks like a slightly larger area than the on-screen map, but it still scrolls. For AC:Brotherhood, you can see the main full map here. However, you can zoom into specific districts (and further) like below for the Vatican area.

acbrother_guide_map_glyphs_01.jpg

However, what's on the GamePad could be a zoomed in portion of the larger map. Would depend on if you could expand the map from that range. In AC, you use the map to find memories (i.e. sidequests or main quest), collectibles (e.g. flags, feathers), and then also specific areas to travel to. You can mark the main map in the pause screen, which puts a marker on the edge of your on-screen map to lead you in the right direction until you get close enough to show up on the on-screen map. Therefore to get everything, you'll end up going to the pause screen to mark stuff dozens of times in the game. Having that on the GamePad instead of going through the menu system to do it, would be really nice.

Meesh

Decided to use the picture of Ellie as my avatar.

ellie_001emjdl.png
Could almost be the official image of "the Wii U price,crying,babbling,killing,fighting thread" games. :) The uncanny valley effect(look on Ellies face) cracks me up every time. Any bizzarre images floating around of ACM?

It is launching against huge 360/PS3 software. This was my point in that thread at least. WiiU has great launch software... in comparison to most launch software... but it is not up against launch software. It's up against games on weaker systems that look better than games for it. Some titles astonishingly so.

And if the WiiU has a lot of big software next year? The PS4 and Durango launch games will be up against 2nd gen WiiU titles.
I guess thats right but its not anything new. The Wii did release against a way much more powerful xbox 360 and compared to Wii at the time their games looked astonshing better.

Those comments...

Funny thing is that GAF comments (both negative and positive) are almost the same except with just nicer sentence structure.

"Ur retarded.Only a hard core cod 12 year old kid fanboy will say, which I bet u are. If nintendo didnt save videogames after the atari and et videogame cris, ps3 and 360 will not exist. nintendo finally made a system for hardcore players to play also, because people made fun of it for the regular wii, yet there still cheap bastards like u trolling on it. What do u want nintendo to do? u want them to give u $500 for every purchace u make from them? Everyone knows that the xbox 360 fanboys suck."

NintenGAF'er in the making right here.

japtor

If all goes well we'll be complaining about the PS4 and Durango getting ports of old Wii U games.

Yeah me too, a part of me wants the PS4 and 720 to be $600 to tell those people "now do you appreciate Nintendo?" lol.

If Sony and Microsoft have their consoles priced over $400 they're both going to struggle imo. I'm expecting (assuming both launch a year later) the U to have an installed userbase anywhere between 10 and 15m before the PS4 and 720 are released and if they're both retailing over $400 then there's absolutely no way they're going to come anywhere near to closing the gap. They could both find themselves in a similar sort of position as the Vita is now if they're priced too high.

Microsoft especially have really cocked up imo. They should have launched the 720 in 2011 with Kinect giving them another years head start. Now they're going to be left with playing catch up every generation. Madness.

Meelow

Banned
If Sony and Microsoft have their consoles priced over $400 they're both going to struggle imo. I'm expecting (assuming both launch a year later) the U to have an installed userbase anywhere between 10 and 15m before the PS4 and 720 are released and if they're both retailing over $400 then there's absolutely no way they're going to come anywhere near to closing the gap. They could both find themselves in a similar sort of position as the Vita is now if they're priced too high.

Microsoft especially have really cocked up imo. They should have launched the 720 in 2011 with Kinect giving them another years head start. Now they're going to be left with playing catch up every generation. Madness.

Yeah, Microsoft now can never be first at launching a console in a generation, unless they hold up the Xbox 720 until 2017 before the Wii U 2 and PS5 releases.

That's where "pay $99 and then pay $15 for the next X months" thing comes in.

And you highly over-estimate how many gamers are going to want to pay another bill to game online. Subsriptions to MMO's and other sub games are down tremendously because of F2P and other factors, what makes people think they want another 15 a month bill just to play.

I wonder what happens if you miss a payment or bounce a payment.... will Microsoft come repo your Xbox? Or what happens then?

ohlawd

I'm just saying it's another way Sony/MS can "lower" the price of entry for their consoles instead of straight up paying 400 bucks. It's a possibility, no?

I expect both Sony and MS to have a sku at or under $399.

Ya there is really no way to OC with stock cooler (other than maybe 100 or 200 MHz) if you do get an aftermarket cooler get an accelero they are amazing and VERY quiet. Like I mean whisper quiet almost.

If you do decide to OC with the stock cooler however, your comp may sound like a jet engine with the fanspeed increase.

Other than that build looks pretty good TBH, if you are looking for a mini-atx case I would suggest an Antec as they will have great airflow even for the mini's, and are solidly built.

If you don't mind the comp being out in the open (I think its easier to clean) check into the antec skelleton case

Thanks. And thanks for the recommendation, but I had already ruled out Antec because the cases I saw were bigger than what I was looking for. I checked out the Skeleton case, while real nice it's too expensive. I finally settled on a case and power supply that will be $70 combined with the fan options I wanted.

Doesn't look like it. It looks like a slightly larger area than the on-screen map, but it still scrolls. For AC:Brotherhood, you can see the main full map here. However, you can zoom into specific districts (and further) like below for the Vatican area.

http://guidesmedia.ign.com/guides/57511/images/acbrother_bgl/full/acbrother_guide_map_glyphs_01.jpg

However, what's on the GamePad could be a zoomed in portion of the larger map. Would depend on if you could expand the map from that range. In AC, you use the map to find memories (i.e. sidequests or main quest), collectibles (e.g. flags, feathers), and then also specific areas to travel to. You can mark the main map in the pause screen, which puts a marker on the edge of your on-screen map to lead you in the right direction until you get close enough to show up on the on-screen map. Therefore to get everything, you'll end up going to the pause screen to mark stuff dozens of times in the game. Having that on the GamePad instead of going through the menu system to do it, would be really nice.

Ok. Maybe they could have it where you can switch between what we saw in that demo and the full map on the controller instead of having to pause it.

ugoo18

Seeing as Nintendo confirmed all their launch games will be 720, and the only outfit so far to comment their game is 1080 is the 2D Scribblenauts studio, I don't think you should have any confidence in saying AC3 will be 1080. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it won't be, but show me any compelling evidence that it will be before I entertain the notion.

Well this leak from a dev claiming to be from Ubisoft Milad did say that AC3 would be 1080p at 60fps

http://mynintendonews.com/2012/05/22/wii-u-price-release-date-details-leaked-by-ubisoft-dev/

That was several months before E3.

Kacho

Just as an aside, I got to play Nintendo Land this evening and it might be awesome. I had way more fun with that game than I feel like I should have.

The Animal Crossing mini-game in particular was probably the best of the lot. You have to collect 50 candy pieces while trying to avoid the person who has the Wii U controller. As you go around collecting the candy you begin to slow down because the more you carry the heavier you are. Meanwhile, your head gets big and I mean BIG, so not only are you slow, but you stick out more to the person coming after you. My friends and I had a blast with that one. We were yelling at each other and laughing. Even the Nintendo rep was having a few chuckles.

Everything I had seen or read about the game beforehand did nothing for me. At first I thought it was because that Nintendo did a poor job showing off the game at E3, but now I think it's one of those games where once you play it you get it. You have to experience it firsthand to appreciate it.

Comandr

Seeing as Nintendo confirmed all their launch games will be 720, and the only outfit so far to comment their game is 1080 is the 2D Scribblenauts studio, I don't think you should have any confidence in saying AC3 will be 1080. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it won't be, but show me any compelling evidence that it will be before I entertain the notion.

I believe that statement meant that Nintendo's first party titles (Mario U, NintendoLand, Pikmin) were all going to be in 720. Though I still firmly believe that a number of those titles could be bumped up to 1080. Mario U is just NOT graphically intensive enough to force it into 720.

I was trying to find the video that I saw saying all the console versions of AC3 will be 720p, but instead I was reminded of some videos I forgot to watch.

http://e3.nintendo.com/videos/#/Nintendo-All-access-at-E3-2012-Wrap

At the bottom there are Developer Interviews and they have clips of the controller being used. That includes AC3, Aliens: CM, and Darksiders II which I found interesting since there is little to no video of this for those games. AC3's video is more detailed while the others have brief shots. But worth the watch if you missed them before.

Meelow

Banned
I know Two Tribes said that Toki Tori 2 is now in 1080p, and I'm guessing they was talking about the Wii U version because they said they had a surprise for Nintendo fans a few days ago.

Also who's excited for the Dragon Quest X Nintendo Direct tomorrow?, I'm hoping they show footage of the Wii U version.

JordanN

Banned
While I would prefer 1080p, 720p isn't bad when you consider the Wii U can do 4xAA free at that resolution.

Now it's up to developers to not be lazy and take advantage of that.

ArynCrinn

Banned
I don't see many, if any, GC games being released as DD being 1080p upscaled. I think we'll see 720p across the board, aside from a few titles which is a shame. Although I'd love to see a couple games upscaled to 1080p with AA, namely MM and WW, but the Prime trilogy would be cool to see in full HD as well. I just don't think we're getting the hardware for it across a majority of titles, nor do I think the priority is there for Nintendo.

brainpann

Does anyone in the D.C. area want to go to the Wii U Experience tomorrow? I got in at the 11th hour and I can bring a guest. My gf has to work and none of my friends are into video games. It is at 3pm and you will have to check in with me but after that you are free to do as you please. First pm get's it and the details. Last thing, I am about to go to bed (gotta work in the morning) so I will be checking my messages in the morning. Goodnight. :)

Ryoku

Does anyone in the D.C. area want to go to the Wii U Experience tomorrow? I got in at the 11th hour and I can bring a guest. My gf has to work and none of my friends are into video games. It is at 3pm and you will have to check in with me but after that you are free to do as you please. First pm get's it and the details. Last thing, I am about to go to bed (gotta work in the morning) so I will be checking my messages in the morning. Goodnight. :)

GODDAMMIT! Terrible timing :/
If I had no plans tomorrow (hitting up the beach house with friends), I would have gladly accepted.

Can you or someone explain why the 4X MSAA would be "free" at 720p?

I believe it's the 32MB eDRAM being used as a framebuffer.

NBtoaster

While I would prefer 1080p, 720p isn't bad when you consider the Wii U can do 4xAA free at that resolution.

Now it's up to developers to not be lazy and take advantage of that.

If that's what the eDRAM can be used for, and only in a single pass so theres more difficulty with deferred renderers. People shouldn't go expecting MSAA will be free, that's what happened with 360 and Vita and yet we have most titles using post-AA or no AA.

I don't think anything can be considered "free" when it comes to performance in game development. There will always be trade-offs especially when the system gets pushed.

JordanN

Banned
If that's what the eDRAM can be used for, and only in a single pass so theres more difficulty with deferred renderers. People shouldn't go expecting MSAA will be free, that's what happened with 360 and Vita and yet we have most titles using post-AA or no AA.
Vita doesn't have edram and the edram in Xbox 360 is small (not large enough to store a 720p image).

I don't think anything can be considered "free" when it comes to performance in game development. There will always be trade-offs especially when the system gets pushed.
I'm pretty sure z-buffering was once a taxing effect. So was Bilinear filtering. Both can now be used without consequence.

NBtoaster

Vita doesn't have edram and the edram in Xbox 360 is small (not large enough to store a 720p image).

I know but the Vita hardware in theory does MSAA very well, people were thinking most Vita games would come with MSAA. In reality its cheap but most devs use the performance for something else. If the Wii U does use eDRAM for the framebuffer devs stll might use it for other things or be limited by other decisions (deferred renderers are already close to being standard).

japtor

And you highly over-estimate how many gamers are going to want to pay another bill to game online. Subsriptions to MMO's and other sub games are down tremendously because of F2P and other factors, what makes people think they want another 15 a month bill just to play.

I wonder what happens if you miss a payment or bounce a payment.... will Microsoft come repo your Xbox? Or what happens then?
You get a blemish on your credit, they send collectors after you. Usual unpaid bill stuff I figure.
I want a Wii U in opaque florescent clear.
Transparent aluminum or bust.

DarkWish

Just as an aside, I got to play Nintendo Land this evening and it might be awesome. I had way more fun with that game than I feel like I should have.

The Animal Crossing mini-game in particular was probably the best of the lot. You have to collect 50 candy pieces while trying to avoid the person who has the Wii U controller. As you go around collecting the candy you begin to slow down because the more you carry the heavier you are. Meanwhile, your head gets big and I mean BIG, so not only are you slow, but you stick out more to the person coming after you. My friends and I had a blast with that one. We were yelling at each other and laughing. Even the Nintendo rep was having a few chuckles.

Everything I had seen or read about the game beforehand did nothing for me. At first I thought it was because that Nintendo did a poor job showing off the game at E3, but now I think it's one of those games where once you play it you get it. You have to experience it firsthand to appreciate it.
I agree. Played it at the DC event and Nintendo Land was what I had the most fun with. I was laughing and enjoying with other random people I played with. The Animal Crossing game was fun, but I found the Luigi's Ghost Mansion one even better. That had some intense, close matches. Definitely gonna pick that up.

If anyone is interested, I wrote up this super long and detailed article on my time at the Wii U experience in DC and posted a couple of pictures, so check that out here. I got to play Project P-100, ZombiU, Pikmin 3, Nintendo Land, Game and Wario, Rayman Legends, and New Super Mario Bros. U and it was an awesome event. If anyone has any questions, let me know.

Donnie

A shame most games had 0 AA at e3...

It is, but at the same time its not surprising. After all just because its virtually free doesn't mean its on by default. Things like AA usually aren't enabled till nearer the end of a games development. Especially when the games a port and the original doesn't use the feature.

I agree. Played it at the DC event and Nintendo Land was what I had the most fun with. I was laughing and enjoying with other random people I played with. The Animal Crossing game was fun, but I found the Luigi's Ghost Mansion one even better. That had some intense, close matches. Definitely gonna pick that up.

If anyone is interested, I wrote up this super long and detailed article on my time at the Wii U experience in DC and posted a couple of pictures, so check that out here. I got to play Project P-100, ZombiU, Pikmin 3, Nintendo Land, Game and Wario, Rayman Legends, and New Super Mario Bros. U and it was an awesome event. If anyone has any questions, let me know.

Nice impressions, thanks.

tkscz

Well this leak from a dev claiming to be from Ubisoft Milad did say that AC3 would be 1080p at 60fps

http://mynintendonews.com/2012/05/22/wii-u-price-release-date-details-leaked-by-ubisoft-dev/

That was several months before E3.

I want to brush this off as fake, but for the time it was said, a lot of it is turning out to be true.

Crytek and EA working on the WiiU
Triggers not analog
ZombiU releasing after launch
Having an achievement system
supports UE4 (though we all knew this already)
Just Dance 4

Though some stuff is far fetched
DX11 support
new button linking to Wii Vitality Sensor (actually I forgot what that button did)
GPU being based on a HD 6770
everything with valve in it.

So it confuses me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom