• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zia

So, is there any speculation as to what the data transfer solution between Wii and Wii U would be? SD card? Cloud? I've been putting off completing Skyward Sword as I didn't want to invest all that time in a trashed save, and it's looking more and more likely I'll have to flip our Wii to afford a Wii U. Because of that I'm simply not playing the Wii. I feel like Nintendo is holding me hostage!

Some people were a bit irrational in that thread. I always thought $300 was a great price. People seem to want Wii U to compete with current generation consoles in price, but how is that possible? It's more powerful (despite what others want to believe), and it comes with a tablet controller.

I saw someone try to say that there is no reason to buy Wii U because its library is much smaller than current generation consoles, but that's true for any console launch. I don't know how Sony and Microsoft will price their systems, though. They may opt for a subscription model, or they may price it very competitively. Everyone was shocked by Vita's launch price. I'm not convinced we'll see $600 consoles again, so Nintendo shouldn't overestimate Wii U's price.

Lol that was a joke post. I think (hope) that half of the posts in that thread are also joke posts

You gotta wish really hard. No black at launch = no buy for me. I'm not too enthusiastic about the launch titles so holding back until a new color/more games are released won't be a problem for me.
This is for you and everybody else who didnt see Jackano's post in the Wii U price,crying,babbling,killing,fighting thread regarding a black Wii U :p

GAME France officially started their pre-orders for Wii U. I had a call from my local GAME store here in Paris and it seems they have faith in their intel. They had a "document form Nintendo" presenting the two Wii U colors so black confirmed if you trust GAME's intranet. Finally their end date for pre-orders has been set to the 12 november but that's a monday, not the normal friday for releases... Maybe for systems they close their pre-orders a few days ago... but like I said, I'm not convinced myself in the retailer "leaks".

Nevertheless, system preordered here, if you're french and have a GAME store near you, you can check that out.

Meelow

Banned
I heard about the rumor that Nintendo is making the fees for DD games so cheap that it will make third party's love the Wii U, hopefully it's true, I can definitely see Nintendo getting amazing third party eShop support for the Wii U.

Pineconn

Sexy, sexy colors.

IMG_0256-600x450.jpg

Where is IdeaMan? is he banned? Haven't seen him for a long time.

He got burnt out by the constant heckling, which went on even when he wasn't actually posting anything*. It was really only the constant fun of the hype that kept him in here, and that was deflated by the combination of E3 unfairly ending and the thread getting tossed into Community.

* I mean, I guess it's fair to call out someone when they're actually present and making statements, but to randomly bitchtalk people when they're asleep? That's over the line. Ergo, I am bitchtalking them all right now while they are asleep. >_>

I'll buy the damn thing if it's tie-dye. =) I just wants the gAAAaamez!!!

Agreed. Would pay extra for tie-dye.

I'd say 576 GFlops is on the lowest side of discrete GPU's. Also, why is 60fps a minority?

Because when given the option to have better graphics @ 30 fps or worse graphics @ 60 fps, devs will almost always go with the former unless it's a sports or fighting game. Next-gen systems could have a petaflop worth of power and they'd still try to squeak out every bit of visual fidelity they can @ 30 fps because your average consumers will be more influenced by better graphics than a higher framerate.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
I have the Blue and Black N64.

Awesome picture of ACIII

wii_u_assassins_creed_demo.jpg
That Inflatable Sports Cushion for Wii in the background makes me wonder if we'll see an equal share of (similar) third party peripherals for the Wii U GamePad. It's not the same thing as the Wii Remote and cannot be used the same way, so will the manufacturers be less interested? Certainly will they continue to make peripherals for the Wii Remote as that will be used in some Wii U games as well, but to what capacity?

And the Assassin's Creed III video, is it in 720p (I'm bad at counting that)?

I have the Blue and Black N64.

Edit: Awesome picture of ACIII

For a poor photo it does look vivid, 1080p vivid. But there's no official statement on record AC3 is 1080p, and if reps are freely handing out that information we would have heard much more about it... and we haven't.

I would like to see your design and the price range of said built PC.....

Sure. I have to buy everything (monitor, keyboard, etc.) because right now I'm still using a laptop I got in 2007 that I overly upgraded. But if I focused on the same components in MIB's link (thanks by the way MIB, it had the exact MB I was looking for as I hadn't looked on Newegg) it's going to be between probably $430 and $500 as I haven't settled on what case I want.

The following prices exclude discounts.

CPU: Intel G630 - $67.99
GPU: EVGA Geforce GTX 560 SE - $129.99
Mem: PNY 8GB (2x 4GB), DDR3-1600MHz, CL9, 1.65v - $42.99
MB: GIGABYTE GA-H61MA-D3V - $69.99
HDD: WD Caviar Blue, 500GB, 3.5", SATA 6Gbps, 7200RPM, 16MB cache - $69.99
OD: LG Internal 24X DVD Writer, SATA - $17.99

Total: $398.94

Including everything I need, it should be under $800 excluding S/H. The monitor and OS are the most expensive parts of my build.

Ryoku

Sure. I have to buy everything (monitor, keyboard, etc.) because right now I'm still using a laptop I got in 2007 that I overly upgraded. But if I focused on the same components in MIB's link (thanks by the way MIiB, it had the exact MB I was looking for as I hadn't looked on Newegg) it's going to be between probably $430 and $500 as I haven't settled on what case I want.

The following prices exclude discounts.

CPU: Intel G630 - $67.99
GPU: EVGA Geforce GTX 560 SE - $129.99
Mem: PNY 8GB (2x 4GB), DDR3-1600MHz, CL9, 1.65v - $42.99
MB: GIGABYTE GA-H61MA-D3V - $69.99
HDD: WD Caviar Blue, 500GB, 3.5", SATA 6Gbps, 7200RPM, 16MB cache - $69.99
OD: LG Internal 24X DVD Writer, SATA - $17.99

Total: $398.94

Including everything I need, it should be under $800 excluding S/H. The monitor and OS are the most expensive parts of my build.

Why that CPU?

For a poor photo it does look vivid, 1080p vivid. But there's no official statement on record AC3 is 1080p, and if reps are freely handing out that information we would have heard much more about it... and we haven't.

There's no reliable word that any game will ship at 720p either. I'd rather assume the best than assume the worst when nothing is known. And while there is no "official statement", Assassin's Creed 3's official trailer is native 1080p. Of course, as I understand it, Brotherhood's cut scenes were rendered at 1080p, gameplay at 720p.

There's no reliable word that any game will ship at 720p either. I'd rather assume the best than assume the worst when nothing is known. And while there is no "official statement", Assassin's Creed 3's official trailer is native 1080p. Of course, as I understand it, Brotherhood's cut scenes were rendered at 1080p, gameplay at 720p.

Seeing as Nintendo confirmed all their launch games will be 720, and the only outfit so far to comment their game is 1080 is the 2D Scribblenauts studio, I don't think you should have any confidence in saying AC3 will be 1080. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it won't be, but show me any compelling evidence that it will be before I entertain the notion.

Why that CPU?

Cost vs performance.

I originally targeted that CPU months ago for cost and like most people I began to make "adjustments" that started increasing the price. I ended up settling on the AMD Athlon II x4 631. Side note: It's called an Athlon, but it's really a Llano without the GPU.

Now that I'm getting closer to finally being able to build it, I went back to looking it over and notice there was something I didn't like about my original target case. I also decided to look closer at benchmarks as I was doing more price shopping the first go around since I knew I was still a ways away from getting it (and it was still before E3) so I found this CPU benchmark test yesterday.

If you look at the CPU-heavy games and it's performance vs the i3 and G860, the price difference doesn't justify the performance gain. So I went back to selecting it for my build.

Banned
Cost vs performance.

I originally targeted that CPU months ago for cost and like most people I began to make "adjustments" that started increasing the price. I ended up settling on the AMD Athlon II x4 631. Side note: It's called an Athlon, but it's really a Llano without the GPU.

Now that I'm getting closer to finally being able to build it, I went back to looking it over and notice there was something I didn't like about my original target case. I also decided to look closer at benchmarks as I was doing more price shopping the first go around since I knew I was still a ways away from getting it (and it was still before E3) so I found this CPU benchmark test yesterday.

If you look at the CPU-heavy games and it's performance vs the i3 and G860, the price difference doesn't justify the performance gain. So I went back to selecting it for my build.
I'm an nvidia guy but I think amd would have a cheaper GPU with the same performance as a GTX 560.
Like a 6850 or 6870?

Jarsonot

This month-difference release date (edit: for 3DS XL) has me worried they'll do the same for the Wii U. Not really worried, I guess, but I'll definitely b jealously watching unboxings and impression videos (again).

Here's to hoping worldwide simultaneous release!
or at least NA first =)

I'm an nvidia guy but I think amd would have a cheaper GPU with the same performance as a GTX 560.
Like a 6850 or 6870?

The 560 SE is cheaper than the 6850 with similar performance from what I've seen. Plus I forgot to mention that I've seen it mentioned that the EVGA model can be OC'd as high as 1Ghz. Don't know if that's stable or not.

Edit: Awesome picture of ACIII

Game is going to look gorgeous but not much different from one version to another, instead I would rather have a look at what's being displayed on the UPad, since the game's map is on the TV screen, and I'm interested in knowing how do Ubisoft developers intend to do use of WiiU's unique features.

Game is going to look gorgeous but not much different from one version to another, instead I would rather have a look at what's being displayed on the UPad, since the game's map is on the TV screen, and I'm interested in knowing how do Ubisoft developers intend to do use of WiiU's unique features.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBZF6qTsTWw

I wonder are they going to bother with removing that from the main screen.

I would hope so. Pretty pointless otherwise.

It does seem redundant from what I can tell. I also liked how little effort it took for him to select weapons from the screen.

Wasn't there a post about a Ubisoft earnings call and one answer was on how they are putting limited money into their ports for Wii U?

I remember something saying it didn't cost them much to do a port to Wii U. Could be what you're talking about.

deviljho

I remember something saying it didn't cost them much to do a port to Wii U. Could be what you're talking about.

yeah, i could see how they might skip changing certain layouts and huds because it might be too much work to work them onto the second screen and remove them from the main screen.

Banned
The 560 SE is cheaper than the 6850 with similar performance from what I've seen. Plus I forgot to mention that I've seen it mentioned that the EVGA model can be OC'd as high as 1Ghz. Don't know if that's stable or not.
Well, as a user of EVGA Precision I can tell you they have awesome OC software but stock coolers aren't good enough to handle the OC. I OC'd my old GTX 295 and I want to OC my GTX 570 HD.

donny2112

since the game's map is on the TV screen,

The game's map is always on the viewscreen in the other games. The problem is that it's a small area, so for far off goals, you end up going to the full map screen a lot to place markers. If that was put on the GamePad, then it'd be really nice. If not, Pro Controller seems like it could be better for playing this game.

Ryoku

Well, as a user of EVGA Precision I can tell you they have awesome OC software but stock coolers aren't good enough to handle the OC. I OC'd my old GTX 295 and I want to OC my GTX 570 HD.

My ol' MSI Hawk N460, which is in my secondary PC now, was a beast at overclocking. It was mainly due to the cooling components on there. OC to 1GHz stable and it ran at 70 on load. It was essentially a 95% GTX480 :p

Maybe if Nintendo come early with some colours like the N64s it might help get noticed and differentiate it from the Wii. I'm thinking bight and vibrant colours. I'm stuck on black, but a baby blue U might bring out the bitch in me.

That's part why I haven't decided on the case/PS yet. I'm trying to make sure I have a great airflow while not having a large case. But I won't have a problem with replacing the stock cooler if necessary.

The game's map is always on the viewscreen in the other games. The problem is that it's a small area, so for far off goals, you end up going to the full map screen a lot to place markers. If that was put on the GamePad, then it'd be really nice. If not, Pro Controller seems like it could be better for playing this game.

The video I linked to shows what's on the controller. Is that the full map?

japtor

Yep. Product placement at it's finest. The problem is though, i doubt the mass market can even differentiate the 3ds with the regular ds still
I'm guessing more people recognized the 3DS than the NeXT Cube later in that segment.
Rösti;40377170 said:
That Inflatable Sports Cushion for Wii in the background makes me wonder if we'll see an equal share of (similar) third party peripherals for the Wii U GamePad. It's not the same thing as the Wii Remote and cannot be used the same way, so will the manufacturers be less interested? Certainly will they continue to make peripherals for the Wii Remote as that will be used in some Wii U games as well, but to what capacity?
Gonna need an inflatable F1 car for Project CARS. I wouldn't be surprised (and I guess wouldn't mind) a table mount or something for the gamepad if it ends up being used for tilt steering in driving games. No force feedback of course but just having it locked down with a solid rotation axis would do wonders for steering with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom