• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeySeuss

ZombiU looks like a must buy for me. I really love the ideas it's trying.

Question. Would it be possible for your friends on MiiVerse to to a live "look in" on the current game you're playing? Like if I don't pick up Pikmin 3 right away, would it be possible to click on my friend and watch like 3 minutes of their game to see if its worth a purchase? Just a thought as I doubt they would do something like that but it'd be a pretty cool marketing gimmick that would go hand in hand with the billboard thing they were talking about.

ZombiU looks like a must buy for me. I really love the ideas it's trying.

Question. Would it be possible for your friends on MiiVerse to to a live "look in" on the current game you're playing? Like if I don't pick up Pikmin 3 right away, would it be possible to click on my friend and watch like 3 minutes of their game to see if its worth a purchase? Just a thought as I doubt they would do something like that but it'd be a pretty cool marketing gimmick that would go hand in hand with the billboard thing they were talking about.

That is supposed to be the case. They started touting that feature sometime last year.

adroit

Would it be possible for your friends on MiiVerse to to a live "look in" on the current game you're playing? Like if I don't pick up Pikmin 3 right away, would it be possible to click on my friend and watch like 3 minutes of their game to see if its worth a purchase?
That is supposed to be the case. They started touting that feature sometime last year.
I'm drawing a blank on that. Do you have a link? The only thing I can remember like that is OnLive.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Man... I was so looking forward to whoopin all your asses at Pikmin 3. :*(. Why Nintendo? Why.
I'm holding out hope that they find extra time at the end of development to add something in to support online play. I'd be grateful even if its not simultaneous play and instead a mode where people share the same save-file and take turns playing different days/areas in the game. That should be very doable.

Beyond that, I'm hoping with Wii U Nintendo quickly finds out how much money there is to be made with DLC content and online modes for Pikmin are offered at a later date.

you know there is a problem I am noticing the games with heavy Gamepad features won't be able to play well when you just stream the action on the Gamepad - so when you start streaming the game do they revert to the old way press pause to get to an item screen and such?

AzaK

I'm drawing a blank on that. Do you have a link? The only thing I can remember like that is OnLive.

I was trying to find the link for you but to no avail yet, but I remember it being talked about at one point also. I *think* it was within the context of the Wii U menu possibly housing streams of your friend's games. I'm a bit foggy on the details.

Am I the only one who is highly amused at the wankery in the thread about how Sony and MS will certainly be announcing their next consoles Real Soon Now (TM) so that they can release them next year? Am I the only one anticipating the disappointment and heartache that will happen as event after event goes by with no actual announcement?

Roo

you know there is a problem I am noticing the games with heavy Gamepad features won't be able to play well when you just stream the action on the Gamepad - so when you start streaming the game do they revert to the old way press pause to get to an item screen and such?

You won't be able to play all the Wii U games on the gamepad, especially those with heavy gamepad features like you said.

According to Kotaku certain first and third party games will have the "OFF-TV PLAY" tag on the box of the game, that way you'll know if you can play the full game on the gamepad or not.

Sadly, I'm sure you won't be able to play ZombiU only on the gamepad =/

Am I the only one who is highly amused at the wankery in the thread about how Sony and MS will certainly be announcing their next consoles Real Soon Now (TM) so that they can release them next year? Am I the only one anticipating the disappointment and heartache that will happen as event after event goes by with no actual announcement?

It's going to be sad and/or amazing if next year one, or god forbid both, of them don't announce consoles at or around E3.

That being said, I don't know how long the markets can hold onto the current consoles. The thought of at least another year has me worried for the financial health of the industry, short of Wii U being huge.

those guys are getting all the holiday games pull all the games that have been pushed to Q1 2013 - if they said nothing at E3 not a good time to start taking about it... maybe by GDC

You won't be able to play all the Wii U games on the gamepad, especially those with heavy gamepad features like you said.

According to Kotaku certain first and third party games will have the "OFF-TV PLAY" tag on the box of the game, that way you'll know if you can play the full game on the gamepad or not.

Sadly, I'm sure you won't be able to play ZombiU only on the gamepad =/

oh well... as long as I can stream Xenoblade and most Wii games that uses classic controls I'm fine

Guys what happened to Darksiders 2 WiiU? we seen more batman than that game

No shit? Wow that's pretty cool I hope it materializes. I would use it often on friends with obscure titles.

This is the older link, though it's probably subject to interpretation.

http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2011...-become-the-number-one-online-gaming-company/

"For example, there are opportunities to take advantage of online to expand a local, same-room multiplayer experience by connecting that to the internet and making new types of play that way. Also by having the smaller screen, being able to go online and perhaps see what game your friend is playing or see what TV they're watching, I think there's a lot of possibilities for how you could use that. Certainly internet functionality is something that will be important for the system."

But I want to say there are more recent mentions as I recall it being said that that you can watch a friend's game and join in seamlessly.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
I don't know, that could be interpreted as a "what I'm currently playing" feature on people's Miis/Accounts. There was a bit in last Sunday's Nintendo Direct where Iwata mentioned something about taking screenshots of your game in order to get help.

-----
edit: Here is what he said from the transcript:

Iwata said:
Miis have access to a live menu of rich content, including the ability to form screenshots from their own gameplay, and even transmit game content they have created themselves, which can then be added to others' gameplay.

There's that Kotaku interview:

reggie said:
The ability to view and play Wii U games on the GamePad screen rather than on a TV screen is a "capability [that] is there for every game but it's a developer's choice if they want that to be part of the experience." Nintendo calls it Off-TV Play and the feature will likely be flagged on Wii U game boxes.

edit: Ah, well, I now see the folly in following other threads at the same time as this one. I shall have to never again take my eye off these discussions here.

Log4Girlz

Give me some good news, guys, as I'm really bummed about the news of no-online for Pikmin 3.

You do not need to share friend codes. You do not need to worry about an internet connection or lag. You do not have to fret about DLC. Everything Nintendo announces is secretly good news.

Obviously, I have very little to say about WiiU that I haven't already said a hundred times.

edit: GPGPU talk is cool, but it's not like we'd know. They sure as hell didn't show anything off that made it look like a powerhouse in a tiny case.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Can we really still claim Nikkei as a source when it comes to Nintendo news? They've been wrong or just downright making up quotes in the last few months.

NateDrake

Can we really still claim Nikkei as a source when it comes to Nintendo news? They've been wrong or just downright making up quotes in the last few months.

Example? One Nikkei is almost always accurate, but there is Nikkei Trendy that misquotes and gives false info.

MDX

There will probably be a few Nintendo games that actually support it. I'm hoping for cross-game and dashboard voice chat. It would be a shame if Nintendo does it so that you are able to talk to people playing the same game with you and for it not to be supported it by all games.

It was a joke, but I agree. There's no excuse for not having online multiplayer.

The excuse is no time. Not if they want to have it ready for launch.

Gahiggidy

The excuse is no time. Not if they want to have it ready for launch.

They should delay it if need be. Adding a good online mode in Pikmin 3 would be hugely popular and would be something that would extend the playtime triple-fold and beyond for those that love the game. Leaving it out would equal literally hundred of thousands of lost fun-hours.

Terrell

No shit? Wow that's pretty cool I hope it materializes. I would use it often on friends with obscure titles.

I've said it before and I will say it again: Nintendo is positioning this platform in a way to make games practically advertise themselves. I think that was the feature that EA and Ubisoft, etc were getting so O-Face excited about, and I can't blame them. Hell, I'm excited as a consumer, getting information about new games practically HANDED to me on a silver platter just by turning the bloody console on.

I anticipate great joy and rapture until the price discussions happen, and then more tears.

MDX

There will probably be a few Nintendo games that actually support it. I'm hoping for cross-game and dashboard voice chat. It would be a shame if Nintendo does it so that you are able to talk to people playing the same game with you and for it not to be supported it by all games.

It was a joke, but I agree. There's no excuse for not having online multiplayer.

They should delay it if need be. Adding a good online mode in Pikmin 3 would be hugely popular and would be something that would extend the playtime triple-fold and beyond for those that love the game. Leaving it out would equal literally hundred of thousands of lost fun-hours.

Well if they think that Mario is all they need for launch, then I guess they could. But, they are probably still thinking about what happened with the 3DS; not having enough 1st party games caused a sales slowdown.

The other question is, will there be a Pikmin 4? Or is Miyamoto done with the franchise? I could see them implementing it for a sequel.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Zombie U does not get enough love
as posted before but not linked I went to check the IGN ZOMBIU Demo
http://www.ign.com/wii-u

pretty badass

since Nintendo seems to own FATAL FRAME these days... hope that gamepad gets a run at that IP

Totally. They should bring Fatal Frame 1-4 to Wii U with revamped controllers. I think GamePad have potential with most of old camera games, hence me mentioning Pokemon Snap and Wind Waker.

Just random thought,

I think they have two good games that they could have make for Wii U and show off their powers in GamePad.

LoZ: Wind Waker HD - They could input GamePad in the game to expand camera system and side quest.

Pokemon Snap 2 - They sold first very well, and many people apparently want sequel if I remember correctly. GamePad is perfect for this game, tfbh.

Also They should include new feature in Mario Galaxy 3, where they could use GamePad feature to searching for hidden coins (Purple, Black or Dark Blue) as one of optional coins; like Green Coins.

There are many potential usage for GamePad and I hope they use it wisely.

MDX

My issue with the CPU being weaker, and it not having a pool of its own edram.

Comes down to this paper that was found a while back in 2011:

Trends in Embedded DRAM
http://www.memorystrategies.com/report/embeddedram.html#Description

2.0 Embedded DRAM Applications
2.2 Mobile Graphics and Gaming Systems
2.2.1 Nintendo Wee U in 45 nm SOI
2.2.2 Intelligent Buffer IC's for Mobile Graphics Systems

From the spec leak:

3MB aggregate L2 Cache size.
core 0: 512 KB
core 1: 2048 KB
core 2: 512 KB

Is that worth writing about? Im not buying the weaker CPU comment.
I am buying that not all developers are created equal.
And the human tendency of blaming someone else for their own lack of competency.

And, this equating of Cell with Xenos simply doesn't work. Shouldn't it be easier to port 360 games vs PS3 games to the WiiU? So instead of jumping to the conclusion that the WiiU CPU is weaker, maybe we should first find out if the developer(s) is talking about porting a PS3 game vs 360 game. Because it could simply be the WiiU CPU is just different.

I'm still feeling disappointment with what I saw at E3.

And being perfectly honest, as far as a launch goes it does have quite a few really high quality games. But... I'll probably be able to get most of it much cheaper on other systems by then.

ME3 I'm probably still going to buy on 360. But that shit needs to be $20. If ME3 for WiiU is a two-pack of ME2 and 3 for $30 I could probably be swayed to a WiiU. $40 would be pushing it and ME3 alone for $60 would be complete "no".

I do want to see what additions if any are there for ME3 though.

Yes, aside from knowing that Pikmin, NSMBWU, and Rayman are going to be awesome games it's Mass Effect for the system that has my interest. I bet it's completely stupid stuff they've added. And they'll probably charge a premium for it.

So was ME3 even playable at the event?

Dr.Hadji

Man... I was so looking forward to whoopin all your asses at Pikmin 3. :*(. Why Nintendo? Why.

Don't worry, while Pikmin 2 multiplayer is fun its not very good for competitive play. Not in the "random elements are bad" way but in the there is only one good strategy and there hardly exists any checks and counters in the game.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
I've been pondering recently on the notable absence of gamecube compatibility announcements clashing with the announced wii compatibility. While I've been discarding this just as a PR matter, I actually had a forehead-slapping moment just now: it's absolutely possible for wiiU to be wii-compatible, but not cube-compatible. It's all a matter of how much the CPU can be down-clocked.

I've been pondering recently on the notable absence of gamecube compatibility announcements clashing with the announced wii compatibility. While I've been discarding this just as a PR matter, I actually had a forehead-slapping moment just now: it's absolutely possible for wiiU to be wii-compatible, but not cube-compatible. It's all a matter of how much the CPU can be down-clocked.

Could also be a mechanical issue. Not supporting the GC mini discs should save them some money on the drives.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
ME3 Wii U is so weird. The multiplayer is fun, but the campaign is almost worthless to anybody who hasn't played the last two. A bundle pack of ME2/ME3, like the monkey suggested, would be ideal.

ME3 Wii U is so weird. The multiplayer is fun, but the campaign is almost worthless to anybody who hasn't played the last two. A bundle pack of ME2/ME3, like the monkey suggested, would be ideal.

The ME2 port is probably coming out next year.

And then two years later a "re-imagining" of ME1 to sidestep their deal with MS. If they find success with the last in the series first of course.

*giggles*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom