• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its fun to speculate, and I appreciate the insights and guesses.

It will be nice to hopefully see a great looking first party game in action to somewhat put the speculation aside.

I love to speculate as well but I do not try and sell it like it is fact like many on this and many other gaming forums.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Give me some good news, guys, as I'm really bummed about the news of no-online for Pikmin 3.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
People talk about Xenos and Cell as if they were equivalent... Also, Cell is supposed better a vector operations than an i7 and is rated at higher flops... The i7 runs circles around it in everything else as we know.
It makes sense to me since it sounds like some of my early speculation. There was even an old article where Vigil I believe said there were things they did in the first kit that they couldn't do in the second kit.

Well, It doesn't make sense to me in the issue of why they would use such a different CPU for any stage of dev kit. Is not like they Wii's CPU are scare or something. And doesn't fit with IBM press release. Could this be a last minute effort?

Tim-E

I hoped that this thread would be free of the never-ending whining in the main forum; instead it's only slightly less whiny.

There'll be one less game on the market where 10 year olds can call you retarded after pwning you.

Speaking of which, that's something Nintendo hasn't brought up yet: online voice chat on the Wii-U. Its online system had better support it out of the box, I never wanted to play Mario Kart Wii online due to the inability to talk to my friends during it.

It's pretty rediculous that Pikmin 3 has been in the works for eight years now and they couldn't be bothered to add things like AA and simple online play.
To be fair, online play in a realtime game with millions of tiny characters is far from "simple". Not that it can't be done, we've had online strategy games on PC for ages, but it's definitely not a simple thing.

Yep. Though that was our assumption based on what we knew at the time.

People took the "based on the same technology found in the Watson" quote from IBM to mean "same microarchitecture as in the Watson" when they meant "same architecture as in the Watson". It was a pretty understandable mistake for people to make.

Give me some good news, guys, as I'm really bummed about the news of no-online for Pikmin 3.

My experience with Pikmin is so far limited to my expected future purchase of Pikmin 2. Is it really that much of a multiplayer-centric series?

Linkhero1

Speaking of which, that's something Nintendo hasn't brought up yet: online voice chat on the Wii-U. Its online system had better support it out of the box, I never wanted to play Mario Kart Wii online due to the inability to talk to my friends during it.

There will probably be a few Nintendo games that actually support it. I'm hoping for cross-game and dashboard voice chat. It would be a shame if Nintendo does it so that you are able to talk to people playing the same game with you and for it not to be supported it by all games.

One less game you can be playing with GAF.

No online for Pikmin is indefensible.

It was a joke, but I agree. There's no excuse for not having online multiplayer.

Seriously? You're missing out. MK Wii has a great online mode. I'll take lag free 12 player races over voice chat anyday.

To be fair, online play in a realtime game with millions of tiny characters is far from "simple". Not that it can't be done, we've had online strategy games on PC for ages, but it's definitely not a simple thing.

Ok good point, they still could have put both it and AA in though.

One less game you can be playing with GAF.

No online for Pikmin is indefensible.

I'm really worried about smash bros. Seriously, just give me Mario Kart wii quality online. That's how low I'm setting the bar.

I hoped that this thread would be free of the never-ending whining in the main forum; instead it's only slightly less whiny.

I'm sure there are Nintendo only forums out there where you can join in on the circle jerk and pretend everything Nintendo does is flawless.

Being weaker in floating point performance than CELL or Xenos doesn't make a CPU weak. In fact the CPU could easily be better than those two at everything else. It would merely make it a different CPU design aimed at different tasks. For instance Xenos/CELL are focused on flops, great at physics but poor at most other tasks. So if you're planning on physics being performed on your GPU they're completely the wrong kind of CPU to use. A CPU with better performance in other areas such as AI and game code compliments a GPGPU far better.

Of course a CPU with Xenons floating point performance AND much better performance in other areas would be even better still simply to make porting of current gen games easier, but at what expense and power usage? This after all doesn't make porting impossible, far from it, it just means developers may need to take advantages of WiiUs hardware in order to get certain games working right. But for the future having a GPGPU and less floating point capable CPU is certainly better than having a standard GPU and more floating point capable CPU.

Also there's no reason to assume 400GFflops is the ceiling for the GPU performance.

So basically the Wii U is a bad system for ports if developers want to simply dump their code without tuning it properly for the hardware.

"You mean porting is more work than just pressing a "WIN" button?"

Linkhero1

Just watched IGN's ZombiU Developer Demo and I'm starting to like the game more and more. It's a must buy if I decide to let Nintendo grab me by the balls again.

Effect

Pikmin 3 would have to have a pretty signficant and content heavy single player for me to get it now with revealed they've been putting focus on local mutliplayer. I was on the fence before (no history with the franchise) but kinda off it at the moment and the game is in the wait for a lower price or buy it used area. Local multiplayer is 100% worthless to me as I have no one to play it with. So any signifcant focus towards it and if that is the only multiplayer in a game makes buying said game like that quesitonable for me unless I'm really interested in it enough to look past it. As a result I don't like paying for content that I know I won't be able to touch and get anything from it, at least not at full price.

Seriously? You're missing out. MK Wii has a great online mode. I'll take lag free 12 player races over voice chat anyday.
I agree that it had great online, but without voice chat, it's not like you're really playing with your friends, but bots that happen to be decent and make mistakes.

All we needed was a short demo of something.....something coming out next year. It didnt have to come out this year NINTENDO. Twilight Princess was showed off and played alot before it was released

/love-hate

Seriously, something this way wicked will come

Redford

aka Cabbie
Aside from the asym local, I don't get the trumpeting about local. I mean, you can have both on the other consoles, it's not special.

Why not both for Wii U?

Also, you know the thread is healthy when we're back to demonizing third-parties!

ASIS

All we needed was a short demo of something.....something coming out next year. It didnt have to come out this year NINTENDO. Twilight Princess was showed off and played alot before it was released

/love-hate

Twilight Princess is not a good example. but yes you are right.

Roman

/love-hate

Their biggest mistake was not saying they are focusing on launch (window) titles.

They made the decision to not show you logos of games you are not going to see for at least a year and instead focused on games that are in a playable state like P100.

Personally I am optimistic they are going to show us a lot more next year when the competition arrives. Pressured Nintendo is always best Nintendo. ;)

Donnie

Well, It doesn't make sense to me in the issue of why they would use such a different CPU for any stage of dev kit. Is not like they Wii's CPU are scare or something.

If this is all true then my guess would be because in earlier dev kits the GPU didn't have GPGPU capabilities. So they needed extra floating point performance in the CPU in the meantime.

Anth0ny

I'm really worried about smash bros. Seriously, just give me Mario Kart wii quality online. That's how low I'm setting the bar.

I'm expecting better than Brawl's netcode, but not quite on the level of a Street Fighter IV or Marvel 3.

Both of which are pretty bad.

I love to speculate as well but I do not try and sell it like it is fact like many on this and many other gaming forums.

But who's selling what as fact? The only thing that's been discussed is why something like that would be great for Wii U. Plus considering everything we've learned since the beginning of the year it makes a lot of sense. Though as been said whether the CPU is weaker or not is still debatable.

Well, It doesn't make sense to me in the issue of why they would use such a different CPU for any stage of dev kit. Is not like they Wii's CPU are scare or something. And doesn't fit with IBM press release. Could this be a last minute effort?

Considering how vague the PR was, just about anything would fit. But it would more than likely be an early effort.

You haven't posted in WUSTs long have you? This thread was long overdue for some overreactions and complaints. :p

They come in cycles.

People took the "based on the same technology found in the Watson" quote from IBM to mean "same microarchitecture as in the Watson" when they meant "same architecture as in the Watson". It was a pretty understandable mistake for people to make.

True. The article that came from didn't help either if I remember correctly.

Their biggest mistake was not saying they are focusing on launch (window) titles.

Yes. I feel if Reggie had said on stage, or even before 'We're going to focus on 23 of the games, in some form, that will be out in the launch window of our new home console', there would have been slightly less backlash. Leading us on through the conference, with the hope we might get a sizzle reel was what hurt most at the time.

Out for/by holiday next year - 3D Mario? Pokemon Battle Sim? Wii U Sports? Elusive Retro Game? What else, if anything, could they realistically have out?

Lyude77

My experience with Pikmin is so far limited to my expected future purchase of Pikmin 2. Is it really that much of a multiplayer-centric series?
In my opinion, no, it hasn't been traditionally important. It's very much centered on the single player. I played multiplayer once, and, while it was fun, I still believe that single player is the focus because of the relative lack of content/maps, etc. in multiplayer. Heck, Pikmin 1 didn't even have multiplayer. Having said this, there's probably more multiplayer in Pikmin 3.

I'm holding out hope that Pikmin 3 will be $50.

ozfunghi

Calling BGassassin & Wsippel:

I'm sorry i'm not into tech so much but i'm interested (with rather limited knowledge). In conclusion, the post on B3D set this new speculation in motion, that because the CPU is weaker than anticipated (yet again an "upgraded" GCN CPU), and the GPU supports Compute Shaders (GPGPU), the GPU would actually be more powerful than anticipated (i saw BG mention 600-800 Gflops)? And wouldn't a part of those Gflops just be diverted towards compute? Meaning we still only have +/- 400 Gflops for traditional GPU functions? Or do GPGPU functions not "cost" Gflops? And the reason why this would be good is that GPGPU does a better job at certain things than a CPU (and next gen hardware will be using the same lay-out). And is it really enough to speculate they actually made the GPU better for it? Or is it possible that the rumored "1.5x" GPU will result in merely a "1x" GPU once resources are diverted towards compute? Because if the only "spec" we have is a weaker CPU, it seems a bit of a stretch to assume they made the GPU more powerful (eventhough it is supposed to feature compute shaders).

Roman

Out for/by holiday next year - 3D Mario? Pokemon Battle Sim? Wii U Sports? Elusive Retro Game? What else, if anything, could they realistically have out?

They need another system selling killer app. I know they would have to stretch some teams thin but I would not be surprised with Mario Kart. Similar to how they wanted NSMBU at launch no matter what.

Retro's game might also make it. Zelda is years away so no. I don't see Metroid because they are probably not sure what to do with that IP.

Maybe Nintendoland is an indication and we see F-Zero? Maybe they are helping with Ninja Gaiden to get experience for a Takamaru reboot? :p
With this little to base speculation on it's hard to say.

Zelda is years away so no.

For what it's worth, Iwata said he wanted a 3 year cycle on the next console Zelda, which means holiday 2014, since much of 2011 was spent sitting on the game, waiting to release, it's not impossible, especially if they're outsourcing development to Monolith/Grezzo etc.

That being said, it's Zelda. I can't remember the last time a console title wasn't rushed, or delayed. Majora's Mask?

Roman

For what it's worth, Iwata said he wanted a 3 year cycle on the next console Zelda, which means holiday 2014, since much of 2011 was spent sitting on the game, waiting to release, it's not impossible, especially if they're outsourcing development to Monolith/Grezzo etc.

That being said, it's Zelda. I can't remember the last time a console title wasn't rushed, or delayed.

You were asking about 2013, though. ;)

They need another system selling killer app. I know they would have to stretch some teams thin but I would not be surprised with Mario Kart. Similar to how they wanted NSMBU at launch no matter what.

Retro's game might also make it. Zelda is years away so no. I don't see Metroid because they are probably not sure what to do with that IP.

Maybe Nintendoland is an indication and we see F-Zero? Maybe they are helping with Ninja Gaiden to get experience for a Takamaru reboot? :p
With this little to base speculation on it's hard to say.

Nintendo needs one racing game for launch.

It won't be mario kart as that will probably be next year xmas.

Excite series?
F-Zero Series?
Wave Race Series?
Diddy Kong Series?
New Racing IP?
Car Vault?

I don't think Project Cars is enough and I don't know what is happeneing with need 4 speed and EA. Codemasters Game is also unknown at this moment on its release date and sega all stars racing has also not been confirmed. a Pseudo sim, Arcade racer and a Sim would be a great launch for racing fans and at the moment we only have one of the bases filled.

RIIIIIIIIIDDDDDGGEEEE RAAACEEEEEERRRRRR!!!!!!!

I think that even was Aonuma himself. But he also wants to do an original 3DS entry first.

You were asking about 2013, though. ;)

I know, it was more of an aside like 'you said 'years' but if Iwata has his way it'll be sooner rather than later' type thing.

I would love Wave Race, 1080, F-Zero, AirRide, or Diddy Kong Racing to make a return...

I think that even was Aonuma himself. But he also wants to do an original 3DS entry first.

Maybe, I do remember him agreeing with Iwata in the Iwata Asks for SS. As for the 3DS entry, they could always do the planning/design and farm out actual development to a 3rd party, like Grezzo.

Calling BGassassin & Wsippel:

I'm sorry i'm not into tech so much but i'm interested (with rather limited knowledge). In conclusion, the post on B3D set this new speculation in motion, that because the CPU is weaker than anticipated (yet again an "upgraded" GCN CPU), and the GPU supports Compute Shaders (GPGPU), the GPU would actually be more powerful than anticipated (i saw BG mention 600-800 Gflops)? And wouldn't a part of those Gflops just be diverted towards compute? Meaning we still only have +/- 400 Gflops for traditional GPU functions? Or do GPGPU functions not "cost" Gflops? And the reason why this would be good is that GPGPU does a better job at certain things than a CPU (and next gen hardware will be using the same lay-out). And is it really enough to speculate they actually made the GPU better for it? Or is it possible that the rumored "1.5x" GPU will result in merely a "1x" GPU once resources are diverted towards compute? Because if the only "spec" we have is a weaker CPU, it seems a bit of a stretch to assume they made the GPU more powerful (eventhough it is supposed to feature compute shaders).

These are questions outside of my current knowledge level (though I did see that Compute Shaders are DirectX so Wii U would use OpenCL), but I don't believe the GPU's "FLOP power" would be reduced while helping the CPU due to the GPU's parallel processing abilities... I think. Someone will come along and give a better explanation.

BTW, Ubisoft's Sports Connection is by Ubisoft Barcelona.

And it's the game that Luis Cascante, who we thought is at Reflections who showed to be working on a Wii U game, this is the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom