• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Can't believe that Nintendo hasn't announced any HD Collections. So much easy money and people would buy these like hotcakes.

Mario HD Collection, Zelda HD Collection. Boom. CASH!

Why would you want WiiU owners to suffer twice?

Oh, blah.

I've enjoyed the gameplay of the two ME's I've played enough to be interested in how they'd use Upad functionality.

I've watched the ending cutscenes, but I was not hurt, because I didn't expect anything from Bioware in the first place. I figured if they could mess something up, they would. It just so happened to be the ending.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Oh, blah.

I've enjoyed the gameplay of the two ME's I've played enough to be interested in how they'd use Upad functionality.

I've watched the ending cutscenes, but I was not hurt, because I didn't expect anything from Bioware in the first place. I figured if they could mess something up, they would. It just so happened to be the ending.

If there was one thing they needed NOT to mess up, it was the ending.

But no, let's completely screw with our fanbase by messing up something we built up for 3 games over 5 years.

I might get a WiiU and ME3 just to spite those that didn't realize how badly Bioware could fuck up.

They write like they're in a high school or junior college creative writing class.

The second they start talking about how many lines of dialog their game has I begin thinking "Yep, and most of it will be acted, directed, and shot like it's from a failed CW pilot."

If there was one thing they needed NOT to mess up, it was the ending.

But no, let's completely screw with our fanbase by messing up something we built up for 3 games over 5 years.
Yes, but I never expected anything different.

I'm just shocked they didn't have a techno-organic Illusive Man battle.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Can't believe that Nintendo hasn't announced any HD Collections. So much easy money and people would buy these like hotcakes.

Mario HD Collection, Zelda HD Collection. Boom. CASH!
One could assume that such games would be rendered at 720p and not 1080p (as in the Dolphin emulator), for best possible stability, and thus probably wouldn't be that worthwhile for too many people (that aren't casuals and actually care about visual fidelity). That's if you mean Super Mario Galaxy or The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess anyway. I really don't see casuals buying those games only for a higher resolution. Older titles like Super Mario 64 and The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask could be interesting to play even in 720p, and they would probably sell well because of their legacy and similarity to that of Super Mario All-Stars: 25th Anniversary Edition etc.

The hardware perhaps has something to do with why no HD collections have been announced, maybe performance is insufficient when Wii games run in high definition. By that I don't mean I think Wii U isn't strong enough to run such, but the architecture may hinder things. Of course just speculation on my side, perhaps someone can elaborate on this matter.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Rösti;38798941 said:
One could assume that such games would be rendered at 720p and not 1080p (as in the Dolphin emulator), for best possible stability, and thus probably wouldn't be that worthwhile for too many people (that aren't casuals and actually care about visual fidelity). That's if you mean Super Mario Galaxy or The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess anyway. I really don't see casuals buying those games only for a higher resolution. Older titles like Super Mario 64 and The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask could be interesting to play even in 720p, and they would probably sell well because of their legacy and similarity to that of Super Mario All-Stars: 25th Anniversary Edition etc.

The hardware perhaps has something to do with why no HD collections have been announced, maybe performance is insufficient when Wii games run in high definition. By that I don't mean I think Wii U isn't strong enough to run such, but the architecture may hinder things. Of course just speculation on my side, perhaps someone can elaborate on this matter.

Stop it, man! You're breaking my heart! :(

Those engines still make pretty today Nintendo!

This might be more than some would be willing to go, but I'm enough of a whore for SM64 and Sunshine that I'd pay $30 for a download.

Also would love to get the chance to play MM without getting sick.

AzaK

I've been pondering recently on the notable absence of gamecube compatibility announcements clashing with the announced wii compatibility. While I've been discarding this just as a PR matter, I actually had a forehead-slapping moment just now: it's absolutely possible for wiiU to be wii-compatible, but not cube-compatible. It's all a matter of how much the CPU can be down-clocked.
This is all so depressing right now.
I want Mario 64 and Sunshine remade in the SMG engine for WiiU.
GIMME!
Rösti;38798941 said:

<sob>

???

Explain this statement, strange monkey.

I'd stopped playing my N64 by the time it launched, was just about exclusively a DC monkey at that time. Never bought it, got it on that GCN collection disc, tried to play, but a sloppy emulation job, along with it's already "iffy" framerate made the motion sickness big.

I could never get very far before getting queasy. My shame is great.

ozfunghi

These are questions outside of my current knowledge level (though I did see that Compute Shaders are DirectX so Wii U would use OpenCL), but I don't believe the GPU's "FLOP power" would be reduced while helping the CPU due to the GPU's parallel processing abilities... I think. Someone will come along and give a better explanation.

Ok, but did i get the other stuff right? Basically, the latest rumor is the CPU is weaksauce, and the GPU supports compute, hence you and others believe the GPU will be more powerful than previously expected to be able to handle even more workload from the CPU? No other info pointing in that direction (more potent GPU) has been given? Also, being a Blenderfan and following development somewhat, last i heard was that OpenCL was rather immature compared to Cuda.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Ok, but did i get the other stuff right? Basically, the latest rumor is the CPU is weaksauce, and the GPU supports compute, hence you and others believe the GPU will be more powerful than previously expected to be able to handle even more workload from the CPU? No other info pointing in that direction (more potent GPU) has been given? Also, being a Blenderfan and following development somewhat, last i heard was that OpenCL was rather immature compared to Cuda.

Well, we don't really know how powerful the GPU is, but if it does indeed support compute programmability, and the CPU is indeed fairly shitty, then it does seem that Nintendo's angle here is to offload CPU limitations to the GPU.

Whether or not the GPU is beefy enough to handle such things efficiently without taxing the hardware is another issue entirely. Plus the GPU also has to deal with processing data for the GamePad screen, though the performance loss there can be minimised by sticking to basic 2D rendering.

The GPU is such a big unknown at this point. Annoyingly so.

tkscz

My issue with the CPU being weaker, and it not having a pool of its own edram.

Comes down to this paper that was found a while back in 2011:

Trends in Embedded DRAM
http://www.memorystrategies.com/report/embeddedram.html#Description

2.0 Embedded DRAM Applications
2.2 Mobile Graphics and Gaming Systems
2.2.1 Nintendo Wee U in 45 nm SOI
2.2.2 Intelligent Buffer IC's for Mobile Graphics Systems

From the spec leak:

Is that worth writing about? Im not buying the weaker CPU comment.
I am buying that not all developers are created equal.
And the human tendency of blaming someone else for their own lack of competency.

And, this equating of Cell with Xenos simply doesn't work. Shouldn't it be easier to port 360 games vs PS3 games to the WiiU? So instead of jumping to the conclusion that the WiiU CPU is weaker, maybe we should first find out if the developer(s) is talking about porting a PS3 game vs 360 game. Because it could simply be the WiiU CPU is just different.

I made a post earlier, pointing out how a lot of processes that would normally be handled by the CPU, are lifted from it, giving the CPU less to do, and to do what it CAN do even better. Though I still agree with your post, as it being weaker than the Xenos just doesn't add up to what we're being told before, but I wouldn't ask if it's ported from the PS3, but more of if it's a port at all.

A port from this gen to Wii U wouldn't work very well because of the way Nintendo has the system made. A port of a game would try putting all it's assets on the Wii U's CPU like it did with the 360/PS3's. This is because, as we all know, the Wii U's CPU doesn't handle everything like the HD twins does, and instead spreads it through out multiple chips in the system to lift the load. If the port isn't made to support that kind of functionality, then it would make it seem like the CPU is weaker.

This is all speculation of course. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

ozfunghi

Originally posted by Prophecy2k:
The comments I received weren't from a guy that looked at a simple design doc with a list of console specs. The source from whom this info came is a developer (core tech) who worked on porting his studio's code from their PS360 build to WiiU directly. I believe the expectation was to see a drammatic speedup, but after performance tanked they realised that the CPU performance on the devkit was well under par.

I don't know exactly how long ago this was, I believe as I understand it that this was fairly recent however (this year I believe). It's not expected for things to change.

Also from what I understand the GPU is custom and from the sounds of it pretty capable (relative to xenos/RSX - the 1.5x rumour is likely accurate). The ram is has been pretty much set at 1.5GB for the retail unit, don't expect this to change.

I don't know if the CPU is a broadway.

So... ugh.

Wolfie5

Where is my Directors Cut Nintendo E3 2012 conference?

It really feels like Nintendo cut on some stuff in the last minute before that thing they called a conference at E3. (Maybe as a reaction to what Sony and Microsoft showed/did not show at their conference. I don´t know.)

No NFC stuff? (very weird, since this is already known)
No Online info?
No Outlook on what´s beyond the launch line-up? This is a new console, there should be some kind of vision/idea of what they want with this console. Show us some of the games that will be released next year.
Some 3rd party games that seems given is not announced yet? (EA and Activision)

They showed a lot of 1st party games for their new handheld 3DS last year. Why not with the Wii U? Not a single 1st party 3D game that uses the consoles capability was shown. Furthermore, the two most interesting games, Mario and Pikmin aren´t even games that utilises the gamepad in any special way. Why are they holding back? Not many months left to release, what´s the point with all this secracy?

Yes, I am dissapointed with the conference. I really got un-hyped for Wii U. A week later and I am pretty sure I won´t get Wii U at launch, unless a must have game gets announced. The line-up, I have to agree looks very good, but there is not one game there that is a Wii U seller for me. I´ll wait for next year.

tkscz

The comments I received weren't from a guy that looked at a simple design doc with a list of console specs. The source from whom this info came is a developer (core tech) who worked on porting his studio's code from their PS360 build to WiiU directly. I believe the expectation was to see a drammatic speedup, but after performance tanked they realised that the CPU performance on the devkit was well under par.

I don't know exactly how long ago this was, I believe as I understand it that this was fairly recent however (this year I believe). It's not expected for things to change.

Also from what I understand the GPU is custom and from the sounds of it pretty capable (relative to xenos/RSX - the 1.5x rumour is likely accurate). The ram is has been pretty much set at 1.5GB for the retail unit, don't expect this to change.

I don't know if the CPU is a broadway.

The comments I received weren't from a guy that looked at a simple design doc with a list of console specs. The source from whom this info came is a developer (core tech) who worked on porting his studio's code from their PS360 build to WiiU directly.

The source from whom this info came is a developer (core tech) who worked on porting his studio's code from their PS360 build to WiiU directly.

porting his studio's code from their PS360 build to WiiU directly.

Tell me when someone makes their own code, rather than just porting it from the PS360.

Any expectations for the Japanese event? is it still going ahead?
Anything maybe everything

I would love to play super mario sunshine again without dusting off the gamecube. One mario title that is often forgotten about. You don't get to galaxy without some sunshine

darthdago

Hi everyone I'm back!!
Haven't noticed that there is a new speculation thread!! Great!!
Ok I have only read the last page...
Can someone plz give me a hint what that discussion about CPU/GPU now means?!
Thanks a lot!!

MDX

Hi everyone I'm back!!
Haven't noticed that there is a new speculation thread!! Great!!
Ok I have only read the last page...
Can someone plz give me a hint what that discussion about CPU/GPU now means?!
Thanks a lot!!

It means Nintendo is leading the way with future console design.
Which is good, considering the WiiU might become the baseline console to code from.

The system is strong enough to get current gen ports from the HD twins,
but wont deliver much in performance boost. In some cases might not
even run as good. But we currently do have some games, AC3 as an example, that have been ported which do show slight improvements.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Or they could just not want to cannibalize the sales of virtual console 'cube titles.
Sorry, I was not clear in my post: I was referring to the total lack of any cube-related announcements, DD or otherwise. Basically, if U-CPU is not capable of cube-level CPU frequencies, VC-style recompiled cube titles is pretty much the only way we'll ever see cube sw on the wiiU.

darthdago

It means Nintendo is leading the way with future console design.
Which is good, considering the WiiU might become the baseline console to code from.

The system is strong enough to get current gen ports from the HD twins,
but wont deliver much in performance boost. In some cases might not
even run as good. But we currently do have some games, AC3 as an example, that have been ported which do show slight improvements.

THX!!
I'll be happy with the WiiU comes sun comes rain...but I really hope that the devs will choose WiiU as primary console and make downports to PS360 cos then we'll really see differences on screen...

MDX

THX!!
I'll be happy with the WiiU comes sun comes rain...but I really hope that the devs will choose WiiU as primary console and make downports to PS360 cos then we'll really see differences on screen...

Downports and up-ports to the 720 & PS4 ;)

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Just NO guys

No remakes, no HD collections - I want fresh new experiences on this system!

Disagree.

At the very least, give me Gamecube on Virtual Console.

How much do you expect GCN VC games to cost?

NES - $5
SNES - $8
N64 - $10

Do you think these prices would get lowered?

I think this may be the most ideal.
NES - $2
SNES - $5
N64 - $7
GCN - $10

But of course it's Nintendo, so we'll see

NES - $5
SNES - $8
N64 - $10
GCN - $15

darthdago

Downports and up-ports to the 720 & PS4 ;)

that will not be a problem for me :))
We will have same situation then as we had with the PS2/GC/XBox.
There PS2 was the weakest and GC/XBox only received upports. Only exclusives looked really better!!

Ahhh, what a bright future...

DynamicG

that will not be a problem for me :))
We will have same situation then as we had with the PS2/GC/XBox.
There PS2 was the weakest and GC/XBox only received upports. Only exclusives looked really better!!

Ahhh, what a bright future...

This has described the situation with most Nintendo consoles since the SNES. Multi-platform titles that don't really take advantage of the hardware if it's better (many N64 and GCN ports) or skip it completely if it's weaker (Wii and DS). This seems to be empirical reality, so I just have to go with it.

Nintendo exclusives are going to be awesome and that's the reason I buy Nintendo hardware.

Nibel

Was this posted yet?

nintendostock89uo8.png

(Thanks to Nintex!)

darthdago

This has described the situation with most Nintendo consoles since the SNES. Multi-platform titles that don't really take advantage of the hardware if it's better (many N64 and GCN ports) or skip it completely if it's weaker (Wii and DS). This seems to be empirical reality, so I just have to go with it.

Nintendo exclusives are going to be awesome and that's the reason I buy Nintendo hardware.

the 1st party exclusives are one reason to buy Ninty Hardware the other one is (for me) its never breaking...NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii all are still working...

gunther

I've been pondering recently on the notable absence of gamecube compatibility announcements clashing with the announced wii compatibility. While I've been discarding this just as a PR matter, I actually had a forehead-slapping moment just now: it's absolutely possible for wiiU to be wii-compatible, but not cube-compatible. It's all a matter of how much the CPU can be down-clocked.

The gamecube compatibility issue may be because of the blue-ray drive and the size of the disc's rather than the a diferenceon the cpu side.

Eradicate

My issue with the CPU being weaker, and it not having a pool of its own edram.

Comes down to this paper that was found a while back in 2011:

Trends in Embedded DRAM
http://www.memorystrategies.com/report/embeddedram.html#Description

2.0 Embedded DRAM Applications
2.2 Mobile Graphics and Gaming Systems
2.2.1 Nintendo Wee U in 45 nm SOI
2.2.2 Intelligent Buffer IC's for Mobile Graphics Systems

From the spec leak:

Is that worth writing about? Im not buying the weaker CPU comment.
I am buying that not all developers are created equal.
And the human tendency of blaming someone else for their own lack of competency.

And, this equating of Cell with Xenos simply doesn't work. Shouldn't it be easier to port 360 games vs PS3 games to the WiiU? So instead of jumping to the conclusion that the WiiU CPU is weaker, maybe we should first find out if the developer(s) is talking about porting a PS3 game vs 360 game. Because it could simply be the WiiU CPU is just different.

Man, this whole CPU/GPU thing is getting interesting!

I just don't know what to think at the moment. You all have great ideas, and I love reading about them, but it seems someone keeps coming out every now and then just to say something that doesn't quite fit, like the much weaker CPU deal. It's not that it "matters" to me, but it does change things considerably. Too bad people don't come with reliability ratings to know if you can trust them or not with their leaks!

In other Wii U news, a press event is going on in the UK now for some hands-on Wii U time at the Rook and Raven Gallery. Nothing really new at the moment, but some pictures are being taken that you can click on and view at this Twitter feed:

http://twitter.com/#!/nintendolife

Finally, an interesting interview popped up:

http://www.wired.com/geekmom/2012/06/nintendo-wii-u-e3/

Wired posted a review of the Wii U from the Geek Mom. Pretty good, but this quote was interesting:

GM: Can you download a game right away when you see it on your Miiverse? Will you still have physical games too then?

Cindy: Yes. What we said is that every game for the Wii U, and this is true for the Nintendo 3DS too, will be available in both packaged as well as digital. It’s really about choice. What I remember as a parent, I prefer the download because I won’t lose the disk. But some people thrive on [having the physical game], to each his own.

GM: Is there a way you can play your games on another Nintendo, for example if I go to my parents’ house and want to play on their console?

Cindy: You’ll have an account system so you’ll be able to access your account anywhere.

So...my games are tied to my account?...?!? (If this is old hat and already known, pardon me, I just did not know that.)

It feels weird being in a Nintendo community thread where all the love, peace & happiness is replaced with tentative words and broken dreams. =(

Especially weird is seeing EatChildren so beaten and broken - kinda wish Metroid x Star Fox was real. Even though the East Coast of Australia would have been obliterated, that might have been funny (unlike the conference).

The conference just didn't seem to inspire the imagination of many which is something that I feel the Wii, regardless of contemporary opinion, did an exceptional job at doing. That said, make Yoshi a proper platforming series again and even THIS will be forgiven!~ =)

DynamicG

the 1st party exclusives are one reason to buy Ninty Hardware the other one is (for me) its never breaking...NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii all are still working...

Same here. I've flirted with everyone else, but keep coming back for that 1st party.

It feels weird being in a Nintendo community thread where all the love, peace & happiness is replaced with tentative words and broken dreams. =(
THIS will be forgiven!~ =)

There's lots of optimism in here. Folks are just now coming down from an extreme optimistic high and settling into the reality that there were always hints of. So it seems doom and gloomy due to the contrast.

Hell the speculation going on now is even putting some of those hints we got a while back into context and speculating about how the hardware will work theoretically. For me that's when the WiiU speculation thread is really pumping on all cylinders!

Eradicate

Didnt they say in an earlier interview that Wii U online would be account based?

I'm not sure. I'll have to look around. If they did, I don't know if those games are tied to the account or not as that interview points out. I'll play crazy and just say that it's a huge online reveal!

I know that for each console they are allowing 12 separate accounts, but I assume that that is more "local" than online connected...though, I don't know why they wouldn't allow each of the possible 12 to have their own online account.

Speaking of which, I can't think of too many people I know that'd use all 12 accounts...

Waltons_9799.jpg

"John-Boy, quit playing that dang thing."

"Yes Zeb."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom