• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Actually, what are the game genres that need to be filled?

I'm guessing at some of these, as occasionally the info is not very detailed and occasionally games straddle genres. Genres which are undersupported are in red.

Action: Marvel Avengers: Battle for Earth, Ninja Gaiden 3, Assassin’s Creed III, Tank! Tank! Tank!
Adventure, Linear-ish: Darksiders II, Ben 10: Omniverse
Adventure, Online: <like ten games rumoured but nothing confirmed>
Adventure, Open world: LEGO City: Undercover
Batman: Arkham City
Fighting: Tekken Tag Tournament 2
Fitness: Your Shape: Fitness Evolved 2013, Wii Fit U
Music, Dancing: Just Dance 4
Music, Rhythm: ???
Music, Singing: SiNG
Party: Game & Wario, Nintendo Land, Rabbids Land
Platforming, 2D: NSMBU, Rayman Legends, Trine: Director's cut, Aban Hawkins & the 1,001 Spikes, Cloudberry Kingdom
Platforming, 3D: <nothing> D:
Puzzle: Scribblenauts Unlimited
Racing: Jett Tailfin, Sonic Kart U
Role-playing, Action: ???
Role-playing, Japanese: ???
Role-playing, Roguelike: ???
Role-playing, Strategy: ???
Role-playing, Western: Mass Effect 3
Shooting, 2D: <nothing> D:
Shooting, 3D: Zombi U, Aliens: Colonial Marines
Simulation: ???
Sports: NBA 2K13, Sports Connection
Strategy, Real-time: Pikmin 3, Project P-100
Strategy, Turn-based: <nothing> D:
Trivia: ???

???????: Chasing Aurora, Bit.Trip Runner2

So what am I missing from the list of confirmed games? What genres are notable that I haven't noted?

I like how Batman is a genre. ;)

udivision

No one does a better job than Google Translate:

"Because I think third-party software lineup [Iwata] for Japan, again the opportunity, along with the announcement of the Release Date and price, such as hard, and would like to introduce, thank you"

If they're going to announce the release date and price, this event is going to be anytime soon.

I'm guessing at some of these, as occasionally the info is not very detailed and occasionally games straddle genres. Genres which are undersupported are in red.

Batman: Arkham City

So what am I missing from the list of confirmed games? What genres are notable that I haven't noted?
Batman is his own genre now?

Eradicate

"Because I think third-party software lineup [Iwata] for Japan, again the opportunity, along with the announcement of the Release Date and price, such as hard, and would like to introduce, thank you"

fyHkD.jpg

Eradicate

I hate to double post, but this is kind of cool.

Hideki Kamiya is happy with his game, and with NeoGAF!

5iPRy.jpg

I hadn't been following that thread or anything, but hey, the man's happy!

I hate to double post, but this is kind of cool.

Hideki Kamiya is happy with his game, and with NeoGAF!

5iPRy.jpg

I hadn't been following that thread or anything, but hey, the man's happy!

Wait, there was a GAF Best of E3 thread? Anybody got a link? I could always go for a quick chuckle.

DrWong

Just to update about my coming Wii U session: 1 hour long only, this friday. Don't know if I'll have enough time to test all the games. Will focus on Nintendo Land and... ?

Just to update about my coming Wii U session: 1 hour long only, this friday. Don't know if I'll have enough time to test all the games. Will focus on Nintendo Land and... ?

Is this for the Japanese third party stuff? Place a priority on trying out games that weren't at E3, since we already have hands-on reports for those (including NLand).

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Is this for the Japanese third party stuff? Place a priority on trying out games that weren't at E3, since we already have hands-on reports for those (including NLand).

I think this is the NYC event- I expect it to just be the already known first party stuff.

rpmurphy

Google Translate still cannot properly translate &#12424;&#12429;&#12375;&#12367; &#12362;&#39000;&#12356;&#12375;&#12414;&#12377;?
It's a very common phrase.

Eradicate

ZuvNl.jpg

Does anyone know what this says?

DrWong said:

I second P-100 with Nibel!

Also, thanks for the update on the media event! Do you have a camera or anything?

MDX

Another entry in my grand scheme to create positive threads about the Wii U to help build the anticipation for the system before its launch:

EA deny neglecting the Wii U and will announce 2 additional games for it this summer + "unprecedented partnership" + their explanation of their discretion on the console this E3

Yeah, Im not worried about third party support from the big publishers.
They have already said that multi-plats is their business model for the future.
I just hope once all these games start reigning down on WiiU owners people
actually buy them and play them.

And I hope all these sequels, that will most certainly befall the WiiU, will not
overshadow the smaller "non-mainstream" gem titles. People are all
excited about Project P-100. But lets see how many people actually go buy the title
when the big franchises get announced.

Be careful what you wish for.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
So this conference is real, and in Paris? and this week?

I think these are just software showcases for journalists who could not be in E3.

The only possibility I see for new announcements is from Japan.

AzaK

Was this posted yet?

nintendostock89uo8.png

(Thanks to Nintex!)
I really did not need to see this. However, part of me laughs if it's related to a poor e3 and assumptions by investors that wii u is gonna suck. Since that e3 showing, Nintendo have shown me that they are still their typical arrogant selves and still don't seem to care about us core gamers. I'm almost viewing Nintendo Directs as their own personal joke (OK lets give enthusiasts this, they'll think we care) and Iwatas "we need the core" rhetoric is sounding emptier every time I hear it. And Reggie, dont get me started on that guy. Maybe angry investors can get them doing something - let's hope it's not iOS :)

BTW: Can someone put us out of our misery and leak the CPU please!? If it is indeed the cause of barely-this-gen ports, that will be truly fucked.

Effect

Feeling down again regarding the Wii U. The big focus there is likely to be on local mutiplayer (of no use at all to me) makes me worried about what Nintendo is doing to be doing with online once again. Especially in their own games. Perhaps I should stay out of the Pikmin 3 thread. :(

More and more its looking like I might be waiting until 2013 to pick up a system unless I get really wowed by the online system and what coming from EA and Activision when they finally talk. Nintendo's offerings really aren't dong it. At least not to the point to where I MUST get the system at launch to play them.

Here is the original tweet from Iwata about the Japanese event/announcements:

https://twitter.com/Nintendo/status/210046940497448960

Someone who understands Japanese could do a much better job than Google Translate.
It doesn't seem too different from the google translate version, from my try:

"Regarding the 3rd party lineup for Japan, I want to find a better oppurtunity to introduce it along with the release date, pricing, and other information at the same time, so please be patient."

So, not much happening here.

jacksrb

Action: Marvel Avengers: Battle for Earth, Ninja Gaiden 3, Assassin’s Creed III, Tank! Tank! Tank!
Adventure, Linear-ish: Darksiders II, Ben 10: Omniverse
Strategy, Real-time: Pikmin 3, Project P-100

Nice list!

I would say from what I have seen that Project P-100 looks more like an action game than a strategy game. I don't think there is any real resource or time management.

Also, like the others above, loved the Batman genre.

You guys joke but I'd be lying if I said I didn't find some true in there. Is core gamer more synonymous with hardcore gamer or with the CoD, Gears, Halo every year gamer?

No, it's more of a delusional state of make believe about some form of non removable status of relevance in a capitalist marketplace. The reluctance to realize that whenever a business that has to answer to shareholders talks about them valuing their core fans, it's basically talking about a reliable but too small cash cow that you can milk for some sure money, but is completely irrelevant when it comes to increased profits. Whenever you need their money, play the right notes and watch them flock back.

Like Metallica fans pretending that them hating St. Anger would make it disappear, or that them not buying any Album after Puppets makes them more valuable customers that should be catered to.

It's basically a mindset that projects a usually very narrow outlook on what a medium is and could be, on everything and demands that those narrow definitions be met, or else emotional turmoil is at hand.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
No, it's more of a delusional state of make believe about some form of non removable status of relevance in a capitalist marketplace. The reluctance to realize that whenever a business that has to answer to shareholders talks about them valuing their core fans, it's basically talking about a reliable but too small cash cow that you can milk for some sure money, but is completely irrelevant when it comes to increased profits. Whenever you need their money, play the right notes and watch them flock back.

Like Metallica fans pretending that them hating St. Anger would make it disappear, or that them not buying any Album after Puppets makes them more valuable customers that should be catered to.

It's basically a mindset that projects a usually very narrow outlook on what a medium is and could be, on everything and demands that those narrow definitions be met, or else emotional turmoil is at hand.
That's a pretty darn good definition of the term, sir.

ps: last good Metallica album is And Justice for All.

Eradicate

you can immediately switch it from the controller to the big screen on the fly.

That's pretty slick! Thanks for sharing that!

I love that it can go from device to screen so quick. That kids section is pretty cool too! I'm impressed with how it's implemented. I own a Roku that I love for Netflix and Amazon (I'm not signed up for Hulu yet) and I like the layout a lot for Netflix on there. But, I have to say, I think that this layout for the Wii U looks much better.

Unrelated, but Skylanders Giants is showing up on Amazon pre-orders for the Wii U. I'd say it's pretty confirmed!

Penguin

I know the face of evil.

"You get a chance to check out the Wii U in NYC at the end of the month*

*Goes to register on site*

"Ha, not going to work for you sucker!"

Eradicate

Thanks^^
... gotta go listening to the best part of To live is to die now^^

No kidding man. That section's the best. I think it has one of the best solos they've ever done at the end of that section before it gets distorted again. I was in this band called Abysmal Depths (not signed or anything, just a little band from West Virginia) many years ago and we played Dyers Eve and then went into Slayer's Angel of Death (like a medley) for a high school talent show, and the choir director yelled at us and cussed us out. It was the most metal moment of my life getting yelled at by a choir director for music like that.

And ah man, Penguin, that really sucks! Did you ever get it to work?

Tim-E

The term "hardcore gamer" is silly. There are different kinds of video games and different people have different tastes. Each person's idea of a "hardcore gamer" has them drawing the line at where hardcore ends and "casual/kiddie" begins at a different point, and I don't think it's necessary.

Then again, the internet gaming community for whatever reason has to always feel as if they are in competition with some external force that isn't what they like. There are people who play mostly on 360 who are quick to hate anything from Sony. There are people who play on both of those who hate Nintendo. There are people who play all three who hate mobile gaming. There are people who play PC games and hate consoles, etc. It's useless to draw these lines. Why can't people just like what they like and have that be the end of it?

No kidding man. That section's the best. I think it has one of the best solos they've ever done at the end of that section before it gets distorted again. I was in this band called Abysmal Depths (not signed or anything, just a little band from West Virginia) many years ago and we played Dyers Eve and then went into Slayer's Angel of Death (like a medley) for a high school talent show, and the choir director yelled at us and cussed us out. It was the most metal moment of my life getting yelled at by a choir director for music like that.

Sounds like a lot of fun^^ Never played in a band, but was to a shitload of concerts when I was 16 and stuff like that is what made us tick back then. Getting people riled up about the music, while on the other hand trying to express your own taste, knocking yourself out on the stage edge headbanging... the fun of growing up...

It's simply metal... great stuff.

I would love to see a game concept centered around this. Growing up, the conflict of generations, focus on music, the complete disregard for your own safety and well being... would make a very great action adventure.

The term "hardcore gamer" is silly. There are different kinds of video games and different people have different tastes. Each person's idea of a "hardcore gamer" has them drawing the line at where hardcore ends and "casual/kiddie" begins at a different point, and I don't think it's necessary.

Then again, the internet gaming community for whatever reason has to always feel as if they are in competition with some external force that isn't what they like. There are people who play mostly on 360 who are quick to hate anything from Sony. There are people who play on both of those who hate Nintendo. There are people who play all three who hate mobile gaming. There are people who play PC games and hate consoles, etc. It's useless to draw these lines. Why can't people just like what they like and have that be the end of it?

Because competition is inherent in our cultural code. Be it competition in power (sports, fist fights) sex appeal (beauty pageants, fist fights over potential mating partners), self definition (music, clothing, taste, intelligence, charisma) or culture (xenophobia, definition of us/them)

Like most it's both a healthy and dangerous trait, but that's life for you.
Just be weary of people who try to sell you on extremes on whatever edge of the spectrum. Be it negative/positive... extremes are the only lies in this world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom