• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
GTAIV and BF3 didn't come to the Wii because the hardware was dreadful.

jmizzal

That

Better question, what past Nintendo titles get remastered in HD (rather than new games)?

Its gonna be funny when that happens and people will say WiiU keeps getting old games, but yet PS3 and 360 has so many HD remakes.

I want GC HD remake more then Wii

Eternal Darkness, Killer7, Wind Waker

deviljho

Its gonna be funny when that happens and people will say WiiU keeps getting old games, but yet PS3 and 360 has so many HD remakes.

Yeah, I was thinking of what Nintendo games could get HD remakes as opposed to new titles within the IP, and I can't really think of any except for Sin and Punishment games.

Eternal Darkness, Killer7, Wind Waker

Yeah, I suppose. I really wish they only put out a Zelda HD collection if it has a bunch of games and they don't try to milk it, especially since most are on the virtual console.

Meelow

Banned
GTA III could have fit on a gamecube mini disk & yet Rockstar still didn't port it over. GTA IV wouldn't have come to the Wii regardless of the feature set or how much powerful it was.

Considering GTA was on the GBA and DS I don't think that's 100% the case.

jmizzal

GTA III could have fit on a gamecube mini disk & yet Rockstar still didn't port it over. GTA IV wouldn't have come to the Wii regardless of the feature set or how much powerful it was.

First of all GTA 3 was exclusive to PS2 and later ported to Xbox, and it couldnt fit on the GC disk thats why none of them ever came. Mostly due to the sound, GTA games had huge sound files.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

Which is not the point I was making. The point being that the Wii's hardware was shit, and thus was unable to support GTAIV and Battlefield 3.

First of all GTA 3 was exclusive to PS2 and later ported to Xbox

This has no relevance to what I posted.

and it couldnt fit on the GC disk thats why none of them ever came. Mostly due to the sound, GTA games had huge sound files.

This is not true. It could have fit on a gamecube disc, and even if it couldn't, you think if ps2 had the same mini dvd format that the gamecube had, Rockstar would have never made a ps2 version? The fact is Rockstar felt the audience wasn't there.

Which is not the point I was making. The point being that the Wii's hardware was shit, and thus was unable to support GTAIV and Battlefield 3.

I understand that. I'm not debating your point. I'm just saying if the Wii hardware wasn't shit, it wouldn't have made a difference, at least regarding gta.

First of all GTA 3 was exclusive to PS2 and later ported to Xbox, and it couldnt fit on the GC disk thats why none of them ever came. Mostly due to the sound, GTA games had huge sound files.

It could. It came out in CD-ROM for the PC; Rockstar just didn't bother.

deviljho

GTA ship has sailed for many reasons. All Nintendo can do now is regain the trust of 3rd party publishers and hope they make a good faith effort. And pray Rockstar doesn't send over Manhunt 3.

JordanN

Banned
I was about to say didnt gta 3 cone out on pc first?
According to wiki, the PC version arrived the year after the PS2 version (May 2002 vs October 2001).

By the way, the only reason I brought up GTA IV was because my list asked for games that were defined by just resolution. GTA IV was not HD nor did it just ask for it.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Where do you even draw the line between games when it comes to a developer like Valve? I doubt they've got five new titles projected to launch within three years. But I'm certain they've got several prototypes and concepts floating around, which may or may not evolve into something substantial.

More like three in five years for real release numbers.

deviljho

Since we know that with the Wii U CPU, making ports of existing PS360 games will be difficult, hypothetically speaking, wouldn't it make more sense for launch the Wii U next year alongside the Xbox8/PS4? They clearly won't get all the PS360 this year for the Wii U, and by releasing next year, they can keep specs even closer to MS and Sony. Sales for Wii and its software are slowing, but their biggest losses came from reducing the price of the 3DS, which is something they have fixed (and can deal with independently). Wouldn't this put them in better position in the long-term?

antonz

Since we know that with the Wii U CPU, making ports of existing PS360 games will be difficult, hypothetically speaking, wouldn't it make more sense for launch the Wii U next year alongside the Xbox8/PS4? They clearly won't get all the PS360 this year for the Wii U, and by releasing next year, they can keep specs even closer to MS and Sony. Sales for Wii and its software are slowing, but their biggest losses came from reducing the price of the 3DS, which is something they have fixed (and can deal with independently). Wouldn't this put them in better position in the long-term?

Its not that its really difficult. Its more of a case of needing to retune things to get the real power out of the Wii U and that is a problem when you arent budgeted for that kind of work and dont have the extra manpower to dedicate to it.

deviljho

Its not that its really difficult. Its more of a case of needing to retune things to get the real power out of the Wii U and that is a problem when you arent budgeted for that kind of work and dont have the extra manpower to dedicate to it.

Well, yeah, that is the situation now. But what if Nintendo waited next year to launch? Wouldn't that be better long term?

jmizzal

Well, yeah, that is the situation now. But what if Nintendo waited next year to launch? Wouldn't that be better long term?

No not really I doubt if they waited, they would add more power.

Being first to the market gives devs a chance to learn WiiU, next fall WiiU games will be pushed even more. They would get launch type software no matter when it comes out, PS4/720 are gonna get launch stuff thats not pushing the hardware also.

Reading this reminds me so much of the whole Dreamcast situation. EA demanded they be the only player for sports games on said console. Sega refused. EA pulled all games they were developing for the console.

At least here, the end result wasn't pulling all games for the console, but EA giving a console the shaft for the console's parent company not bowing to their every whim isn't exactly a new thing, I guess.

The Valve thing is totally new, though, and rather unsourced AFAIK. I'll just ignore that... I don't see Valve releasing five games so quickly.

I/O controller simply means the input/output, how fast the cpu does this affects the speed of processing.

An out of order cpu is sort of like a shopping list, you go into the shop with that list, but don't necessarily get things in that order. That means the cpu can run at lower speeds but get something similar in performance.

A GPGPU is a graphics processing unit that can do some things that the cpu can do, so if the load on the cpu gets to heavy, the gpu can help.

I'll get back to you on compute shaders since I'm on my phone.

Thanks for trying to explain, also to ColdBlooder for expanding, thanks to Blu for mocking ;).

"No, the I/O controller is a seperate chip on Wii U that handles all the controller input/output stuff, thus freeing the CPU from that task."

If Wii U has a separate chip tasked with handling the controller then why are they struggling to get two tablet pads working and when they do the frame rate is taking a hit, reportedly halfed ?.

Cheers.

nikatapi

Thanks for trying to explain, also to ColdBlooder for expanding, thanks to Blu for mocking ;).

"No, the I/O controller is a seperate chip on Wii U that handles all the controller input/output stuff, thus freeing the CPU from that task."

If Wii U has a separate chip tasked with handling the controller then why are they struggling to get two tablet pads working and when they do the frame rate is taking a hit, reportedly halfed ?.

Cheers.

I think this has more to do with the method of transmitting the image from the console to the controller, and probably the wireless bandwidth is not enough to be able to transmit to 2 controllers at the same time, so they use some kind of multiplexing in order to be able to feed both of the controllers with image, which results in a lower framerate of the feed on each controller.

Cheers.

Its not just the I/O controller that has to do more.

Displaying stuff on 3 displays is kind of difficult for EVERY GPU AND CPU even newer ones.

I wouldn´t expect graphical intense games to use 2 pads. No one can argue against the fact, that rendering 3 different scenes at once isn´t taxing as f*ck on every GPU no matter how fast.

CPU would also have to calculate stuff for 3 scenes.

Its really very difficult to do. Yeah people scream "hey why not 2 pads?" without knowing what it actually takes to handle 3 displays at once.

A PC can handle 3 displays (and more), But the new Graphic chips and Processors for computers are far quicker than anything you will see in any next gen console.

Is that only for games rendering the game twice tho ?.

For me Smash Bros, Mario Kart and F Zero have to be 60 fps, could they get away with two tablet controllers if those games just showed a simple map on the tablet screen.

I understand it's near impossible for Wii U to render the game in 720p and then again another twice on two tablet controllers.

Is that only for games rendering the game twice tho ?.

For me Smash Bros, Mario Kart and F Zero have to be 60 fps, could they get away with two tablet controllers if those games just showed a simple map on the tablet screen.

I understand it's near impossible for Wii U to render the game in 720p and then again another twice on two tablet controllers.

The FPS on tv WON´T drop from 2 pads. the FPS from the pads drop to 30 fps, if 2 are used.

Thats a common misunderstanding.

Wii U with 1 pad :

TV -> 60 fps, pad -> 60 fps

Wii U with 2 pads :

TV -> 60 fps, BOTH PADS -> 30fps

This is a bandwidth limit of the wireless transmission. It is capable of sending max, 60 images per second. If you connect a second pad, both screens have to share the bandwidth, reducing the FPS for the PADS ONLY to 30 fps.

The FPS on tv WON´T drop from 2 pads. the FPS from the pads drop to 30 fps, if 2 are used.

Thats a common misunderstanding.

Wii U with 1 pad :

TV -> 60 fps, pad -> 60 fps

Wii U with 2 pads :

TV -> 60 fps, BOTH PADS -> 30fps

This is a bandwidth limit of the wireless transmission. It is capable of sendinf max, 60 images per second. Id you connect a second pad, both screens have to share the bandwidth, reducing the FPS for the PADS ONLY to 30 fps.

Ah ok, that puts a lot of fears to rest, couldn't imagine the games i listed running at 30 fps in local multiplayer !.

Cheers.

AzaK

• They wouldn't want to go up against the hype machines of Sony and especially Microsoft.
  • They could get 10-15 million units installed before the others come out.
  • It gives third parties time to warm to them and hopefully give Nintendo more chance to keep third party ports into next gen.
  • They can ride the 'first to the next gen' wave when people are getting a bit bored and sales slumping.
  • Being closer in specs may not really matter and end up costing more.

Waiting would be foolish.

• They wouldn't want to go up against the hype machines of Sony and especially Microsoft.
  • They could get 10-15 million units installed before the others come out.
  • It gives third parties time to warm to them and hopefully give Nintendo more chance to keep third party ports into next gen.
  • They can ride the 'first to the next gen' wave when people are getting a bit bored and sales slumping.
  • Being closer in specs may not really matter and end up costing more.

Waiting would be foolish.

Dito.

And no matter what GAF tries to tell people, Wii U is not in the same situation as the Wii power wise.

Xbox 360 has 20x the power of the Wii (speaking of GPU flops only) Wii -> 12, Xbox360 -> 241

Wii U is rumored to be between 500 and 800, but closer to 500, so i assume 600 here.

For the next Xbox GPU to have 20x the raw grunt of Wii U, it would need a 12 TFlop GPU(!) (12.000 GFlops)

Wii had an outdated CPU and GPU architecture compared to Xbox360/PS3 because it was basically the gamecube chips with higher clock.

Wii U has modern CPU and GPU architectures.

So even with Wii Us 1 year headstart, Wii U is FAR from being in the same situation as the Wii was.

Ryoku

Dito.

And no matter what GAF tries to tell people, Wii U is not in the same situation as the Wii power wise.

Xbox 360 has 20x the power of the Wii (speaking of GPU flops only. Wii U -> 12, Xbox360 -> 241)

Wii U is rumored to be between 500 and 800, but closer to 500, so i assume 600 here.

For the next Xbox GPU to have 20x the raw grunt of Wii U, it would need a 12 TFlop GPU(!) (12.000 GFlops)

Wii had an outdated CPU and GPU architecture compared to Xbox360/PS3 because it was basically the same chips with higher clock.

Wii U has modern CPU and GPU architectures.

So even with Wii Us 1 year headstart, Wii U is FAR from being in the same situation as the Wii was.

I find it funny that no matter how many times this gets reiterated on the forum, people will continue to believe the contrary. On top of all this, it seems likely that all three next-gen consoles will share similar architecture, and not the fuck-all uniformity that we had this generation. Still, knowing that third parties still supported PS3's alien, inefficient architecture just because the power was there kind of gives hope.

Shokio

Neo Member
Yay GAF finally activated my account lol. What's up people?

The above is spot-on. The only reason why the Wii didn't get multiplats this gen is due to the fact that it didn't have a modern feature set. The Wii U will not have this problem, considering it will be running on more modern hardware. The Wii's CPU and GPU were essentially the same as the GameCube's, just over-clocked, that's why the Wii couldn't support most engines.

I find it funny that no matter how many times this gets reiterated on the forum, people will continue to believe the contrary. On top of all this, it seems likely that all three next-gen consoles will share similar architecture, and not the fuck-all uniformity that we had this generation. Still, knowing that third parties still supported PS3's alien, inefficient architecture just because the power was there kind of gives hope.

People just don´t want to believe Nintendo did a powerful box this time. Are they afraid it hurts their next gen HD twins? I don´t know.

PS4 and Xbox 720 WILL outperform Wii U but by far not as much that downports aren´t possible!

JordanN

Banned
People just don´t want to believe Nintendo did a powerful box this time. Are they afraid it hurts their next gen HD twins? I don´t know.

PS4 and Xbox 720 WILL outperform Wii U but by far not as much that downports aren´t possible!
I'm still not sold on why Wii U needs downports from PS4/720 and not uports.

If history is anything to go by, the lowest common denominator gets worked on with all the superior machines getting touched up ports. The exceptions are Arcades, PC's and console exclusives.

For Wii, it was a special case however, the next weakest thing took its place (Xbox 360).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom