• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meelow

Banned
Yay GAF finally activated my account lol. What's up people?

The above is spot-on. The only reason why the Wii didn't get multiplats this gen is due to the fact that it didn't have a modern feature set. The Wii U will not have this problem, considering it will be running on more modern hardware. The Wii's CPU and GPU were essentially the same as the GameCube's, just over-clocked, that's why the Wii couldn't support most engines.

Hey it's Shokio, or I mean Will Smith? lol.

Yay GAF finally activated my account lol. What's up people?

The above is spot-on. The only reason why the Wii didn't get multiplats this gen is due to the fact that it didn't have a modern feature set. The Wii U will not have this problem, considering it will be running on more modern hardware. The Wii's CPU and GPU were essentially the same as the GameCube's, just over-clocked, that's why the Wii couldn't support most engines.

Alright Shok. I've watched a few of you vids and made comments. You don't do a bad job of debunking trolls, but your works cut out here ;)

Nintendo

Buy Platinum Games - just do it.

First off, push P-100 like it was your goddamn flagship.
Then support and work with them on a couple of more projects like the current love-relationship with Tecmo.

For Christ sake, when is someone going to make a video game industry sim. The characters, the drama, the greed, the skulduggery!!! It... seems so obvious. If Farming Sim can get a release I'm sure this could.

For Christ sake, when is someone going to make a video game industry sim. The characters, the drama, the greed, the skulduggery!!! It... seems so obvious. If Farming Sim can get a release I'm sure this could.

Game Dev Story?

I don't know about that. If RE5 is any indication, RE6 will be more likely suck than be good. But then Capcom created Revelaitons so I'm torn. It could go either way.

Revelations was a step in the right direction, so I was shocked to see all these RE6 videos that make the game look like it took several steps backwards again. And it will sell shit tons of copies more than Revelations, so the series will probably never recover again.
Mikamis new horror IP needs to come to WiiU, DO IT IWATA.

Am I the only one that wished KILLER FREAKS was still coming along with ZombiU?

better than 0

Raving Rabbids: "Killer Freaks From Outer Space" Mull over that for a second. It is a sequel to Rabbids Go Home" where they accidentally go to mars instead of the moon. Violence is toned down a little compared to killer freaks but the hilarity is upped to the max. P-100 Style gameplay with a 1950's war of the world kind of radio theme about it.

MDX

Nintendo may just indirectly cause a big public outcry over this, such a great opportunity; the fact that nintendo has a very effective way of exposing the HDTV latency and rightfully blaming the manufacturers for it and on a mass market scale, everyone with a WiiU will be required to scan the TV before play, it's genious and I can wait until the other developers speak about it publicly, and that may force manufacturers to get working if there's tons of people complaining, because carmack and others in industry are not very successful convincing the HDTV manufacturers into recognizing this issue, he's was bugging at sony to get their firmware fixed and I haven't yet made the full Keynote 2012 video guide so I don't have the exact time mark at which point in Carmack's 2012 keynote he talks a lot of dirt about sony how he could not get anyone and was basically ignored, I only know it's after 1 hour mark, that's when he starts talking about VR.

So all of those X360 graphics boys out there, that used their brand new HDTVs bragging about their "1080p" setup on various forums and even increasing HDTV picture quality settings - they've all made a big mistake, playing for a waste of time in any competitive or serious match, bad idea , probably getting owned by a random CRT guy lol.

So before WiiU changes the HDTV landscape, what TV would you recommend for those planning on buying system with the WiiU?

Nintendo

Buy Platinum Games - just do it.

Nintendo does not like to buy studios because all the talent can simply leave once the studio is theirs.

Platinum Games is almost entirely compromised of talented individuals with penchants for not liking outside influence on their games and corporate structures. Nintendo is explicitly known for doing that.

If they leave, which they would, what benefit would there be to owning them? The name is only worth as much as the people inside it.

There are ways to try to prevent people from leaving in that situation. Vesting stock options is one of the big ways to do it of course. And often they write into purchase contracts that the leaders MUST keep working there for at least a couple years, and with steady management there's less reason for the employees to leave.

prag16

Banned
There are ways to try to prevent people from leaving in that situation. Vesting stock options is one of the big ways to do it of course. And often they write into purchase contracts that the leaders MUST keep working there for at least a couple years, and with steady management there's less reason for the employees to leave.

Retention bonuses are common in acquisitions. However gotta be ready for a massive exodus as soon as that retention period is up. Not to mention potentially bad morale leading up to that.

Banned
Traded in some games today at EB Games Canada and now have $101 towards a 3DS XL in pure trade-in credit. The manager who I talk to regularly informs me that if I scan a QR code I can be subscribed to the Wii U newsletter, an email that will notify me when Gamestop gets a SKU and accepts preorders for the Wii U. It lead me to this page. It confirms that it will be available in black at launch!

http://www.ebgames.ca/gs/landing/wiiu/#!prettyPhoto

bg.jpg

chris3116

Nintendo does not like to buy studios because all the talent can simply leave once the studio is theirs.

Platinum Games is almost entirely compromised of talented individuals with penchants for not liking outside influence on their games and corporate structures. Nintendo is explicitly known for doing that.

If they leave, which they would, what benefit would there be to owning them? The name is only worth as much as the people inside it.

Before buying a studio, Nintendo needs to study what you say the benefit to own them. I think if there's an acquisition that would come, they need to know if the studio could bring money to Nintendo. Nintendo needs to make a good and solid partnership to a studio and make a good success to the game they're going to make. If you go on the history of Platinum games, P-100 is the first game they made on a Nintendo platform. I think you need many successful games before making an offer to buy them.

The first studio that is on the edge of being bought by Nintendo is Next Level Games. All games made by them for Nintendo not for a 3rd party are good success and they could bring money to Nintendo. Luigi's Mansion 2 on 3DS is the last "test". If it's a success, Nintendo will make a huge deal to them either it will be an exclusive contact to them making them an official 2nd party or they buy them.

BD1

Banned
How about Nintendo just inks them (Platnium) to a three-game deal for Wii U?

No buyouts, no talent departures, no politics...just Wii U exclusives full of sweet, sweet Platnium bad-ass'ness.

Banned
Go to video highlights and go to the last video about the GamePad. It has some interesting tidbits. I never saw the video before. Black Wii U at launch confirmed!!!

Berg

Go to video highlights and go to the last video about the GamePad. It has some interesting tidbits. I never saw the video before. Black Wii U at launch confirmed!!!

Yea, i don't remember ever hearing about the finishing moves. Looks awesome!

Banned
Good news about Capcom for Wii U.

http://mynintendonews.com/2012/08/06/capcom-says-theres-some-good-stuff-coming-for-wii-u/

so Resident Evil 6 I guessing, along with other games.

Yeah, I don't see why not. I mean, if you have the resources and budget, why not develop for a third or fourth platform for potential extra revenue?

If it really only costs 1-2M to port a game over to Wii U, it would only take around 35k copies to recuperate the costs. Imagine a game like ACIII being ported to Wii U and it sells 500k lifetime on Wii U. That's 30M in revenue and it only costed 2M to port it over.

I can understand smaller studios skipping a Wii U version because of the lack of manpower. But, if your a big studio like Capcom or EA or Ubisoft, there is no reason not to port to Wii U because the games don't need to sell millions to break even.

RE6 and GTAV come from big enough studios to port over to the Wii U.

Meelow

Banned
Posted mate.

Yeah I just noticed lol.

Yeah, I don't see why not. I mean, if you have the resources and budget, why not develop for a third or fourth platform for potential extra revenue?

If it really only costs 1-2M to port a game over to Wii U, it would only take around 35k copies to recuperate the costs. Imagine a game like ACIII being ported to Wii U and it sells 500k lifetime on Wii U. That's 30M in revenue and it only costed 2M to port it over.

I can understand smaller studios skipping a Wii U version because of the lack of manpower. But, if your a big studio like Capcom or EA or Ubisoft, there is no reason not to port to Wii U because the games don't need to sell millions to break even.

RE6 and GTAV come from big enough studios to port over to the Wii U.

Exactly, Take-Two might as well bring GTAV to Wii U because we all want it and it doesn't cost much to port and they even said they want to see how core games sell on Wii U so bringing GTAV to Wii U and see how it will sell won't hurt them at all.

Meelow

Banned
Sven also had good news regarding Monster Hunter

Keep it in check lads.

Monster Hunter 4 for Wii U!.

I hope

Did anyone also notice that all devs are saying "wait a few more weeks"? meaning it's directing at Nintendo Direct or the Fall Conference.

Good news about Capcom.

If Nintendo can get Blops 2 and Resident Evil 6 confirmed for launch then they would have the top 5 yearly third party sales monsters if you add Fifa, Madden 13 and Assassin's Creed 3.

Add in Nintendo Land, NSMB U at launch with Pikmin 3 and ZombiU arriving before Xmas and you have one of the strongest console launch line ups in history.

That would still leave P-100 and Lego City for Jan / Feb and hopefully in a perfect world some more unannounced ports from the big late 2012 games (Borderlands 2, Farcry 3, WWE 13, MoH 2, Hitman) and early 2013 games (Crysis 3, Splinter Cell, Tomb Raider, Bioshock) which would take us to E3 2013.

Sadist

RE 6 won't be there at launch. If there's going to be a Wii U version, it will be something like RE 6 Gold Edition somewhere in 2013.

Effect

Don't believe Capcom's lies.

Seriously people shouldn't get their hopes up. Capcom likes to talk a lot. Don't get excited for or fall for future "test".

What is Ono working on? IIRC he had alot of comments about the wii u after it's reveal and teased a few things. I think it's safe to say there will be a capcom fighter available for the wii u in the launch window

Shokio

Neo Member
Guys, it's obviously going to be Nintendo vs. Capcom.

You'll have to spend $15 to unlock Captain Falcon off the disc though.

Traded in some games today at EB Games Canada and now have $101 towards a 3DS XL in pure trade-in credit. The manager who I talk to regularly informs me that if I scan a QR code I can be subscribed to the Wii U newsletter, an email that will notify me when Gamestop gets a SKU and accepts preorders for the Wii U. It lead me to this page. It confirms that it will be available in black at launch!

http://www.ebgames.ca/gs/landing/wiiu/#!prettyPhoto

More accurately, it confirms that the guy at EB Games who runs their website thinks that it may launch in black since he saw that some of the units at E3 were reported to be black.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know the exact date of the announcement, but Kotaku reported on the 23rd of August, 2006, of the Wii preview event to happen in September. And the actual event was on the 14th of September. Mainly it was the New York event, but if I don't remember incorrectly, there was something in London as well.

Anyway, with this in my I don't think it's ludicrous to expect news about this upcoming event within the month, perhaps more information will come in the suggested Nintendo Direct broadcast. The waiting is the hardest part.

Hey guys. Been gone about a month, busy with summer stuff, new job and posting in gaming side. Anything significant besides black apparently being confirmed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom