• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems that you can now pre-order the White or Black version of the Wii U at HMV stores here in the UK for just £10.

HMV? Uh oh...

jwJ36m0eUhqOz.jpg

No one threaded this yet?

Satterfield: Assassin’s Creed III looks best on Wii U, talk of unannounced/potential launch game
August 5th, 2012 Posted in News, Posted by Valay, Wii U
GameTrailers editor in chief Shade Satterfield predicted a $299 price tag for Wii U on a recent episode of Invisible Walls. During the same show, Satterfield also praised Assassin’s Creed III and teased an unannounced game that could launch alongside the new console.

Regarding Assassin’s Creed III, Satterfield believes that the console version looks best on Wii U. He’s played the game on the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 as well. Assassin’s Creed III’s visuals, paired with “added functionality” make it a worthwhile Wii U launch title for Satterfield:

“I’m definitely getting Assassin’s Creed III. And like Mike said, I’ve seen pretty much all three versions at this point. To me, the Wii U version looks the best. It also has added functionality, so that would probably be the one game I’d buy with the Wii U, would be Assassin’s Creed III.”

Satterfield could be picking up a second game for Wii U this holiday season. The thing is, it hasn’t been announced yet, and it isn’t set in stone for launch.

Satterfield teased:

“There’s another game that might make launch that hasn’t been announced yet that maybe I would buy for it. But I can’t really mention that.”

The Madden effort just reeks of sabotage. EA are purposely putting out a weak effort on more powerful hardware because they don't want the core Madden players moving over to play it on the Wii U. Instead, they'll be wanting the core Madden player to move over next year when a pristine version is released on PS4/Durango. An effort such as this one does nothing but send out the signal that this new hardware is inferior.

Absolutely ridiculous.

The Madden effort just reeks of sabotage. EA are purposely putting out a weak effort on more powerful hardware because they don't want the core Madden players moving over to play it on the Wii U. Instead, they'll be wanting the core Madden player to move over next year when a pristine version is released on PS4/Durango. An effort such as this one does nothing but send out the signal that this new hardware is inferior.

That... Doesn't make any sense.

Donnie

I don't know what EA are doing, they're ideas seem very confused to me. But I seriously doubt they're trying to sabotage anything.

Stewox

Banned
Wtf is doom 3 bfg? Is it a special edition or something? What does the BFG stand for? Big Fucken Gun?

Ahahaha that made me laugh. Yes ... google BFG 9000

And for everone else for once and for all:

Doom 3 BFG is a special edition that has support for Virtual Reality Head Mounted Display:

Oculus Kickstarter:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1523379957/oculus-rift-step-into-the-game

Carmack E3 2012 VR videos:
http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/13...video-interview-on-his-virtual-reality-stuff/

Virtual Insanity Panel at QuakeCon2012:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gaqQdyfAz8

Doom 3 BFG edition is for X360, PS3 and PC, with WiiU version not being planned because of marching orders to get Doom4 done. (im still doing my post there on official forum ... may take a day or so)

Doom 3 BFG edition has the following technical facts:
https://twitter.com/ID_AA_Carmack/status/231564785286774784
Consoles: 60 FPS
PC: 120 FPS (as per recommended specs)

Doom 3 BFG has these changes and improvements:

• updated to run fast on today's hardware
  • tools have been taken out of the codebase to make for easier developing (faster compiling)
  • codebase review -> substantial performance optimizations, gunplay ...etc
  • sprinkled more ammo around gameworld ([console] "gamers aren't as hardcore as they were back then")
  • Permanent flashlight weapon addon - as an option off/on
  • Various small improvements in GFX effects ..etc

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

Absolutely ridiculous.

No.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

Absolutely ridiculous.

No, it just shows the devs are either A) lazy or B) haven't been able to work on the game long enough and want to get the game out for launch.

I'm voting B.

Absolutely ridiculous.

If they wanted to sabotage Nintendo they would just release NO game on Wii U

Absolutely ridiculous.

Crying+Baby+Natural+High+for+Some+Moms.jpg

chris3116

Absolutely ridiculous.

No. It's more like EA is rushing their games on Wii U launch.

There's been no info to suggest that any of the WiiU CPU cores is locked to only the OS (like one ARM core was initially for 3DS). Its possible as always that efficiency improvements could lessen the OS overhead IF its even being run by the main CPU but who knows how significant of an effect that could have on improved processing power for gaming.

What should make a significant difference is the integration of the audio chip and I/O controllers into game engines. A lot of devs porting code over from 360 will still be doing I/O and audio on the main CPU just as 360 does, possibly taking up as much as one whole CPU core that could otherwise be freed up for other applications on WiiU.

We don't even know if the OS runs on the IBM CPU. It could be running on the ARM co-processor for all we know, as it did on Wii.

It would be nice if at least one of the tech savvy guys could explain some of the terms that are used a lot when discussing the Wii U hardware.

I've tried googling them and it's hard to understand how they will benefit Wii U form Wiki articles.

-I/O Controller Chip.

-Out of Order CPU.

-GPGPU.

-Compute Shaders.

If anyone else has any, throw them in.

If anyone takes the time to explain in layman's terms what these terms actually mean and how they will give the Wii U an advantage over current gen tech, i would be extremely grateful :).

Also lol at HMV offering Wii U for a money down pre order when we don't know how much it's going to be !!!.

AzaK

360 development was, as far as I'm aware, a pretty familiar environment though. Every generation comes with hoops, but much like the original Xbox the Xbox 360 allowed the application of acquired knowledge and experience gained from developing on, say, PC. PS3 was definitely hoops. Newell's dislike of the Cell is famous and Sony scrapping it for the PS4 says enough. But you only have to look to certain engines better optimised for the 360 and PC (eg: UE3), as well as the mess of early PS3 titles, to see the problems developers had/have.

Nintendo can create a unique development environment, but if they're going to do so they cant expect to be the lead SKU, not if it severely alienates the competition. Pubs are going to want to spread their expensive games across as many platforms as possible, and wont be too happy using the most difficult platform as the lead SKU.

This is, like, worst case scenario though. Wii scenario. And I don't think it's going to be like that.

Agreed. No way is it going to be a Wii situation.

Nice!, the thing now I'm worried by is the name, the logo doesn't really show U unless you really look at it, I still think Nintendo should of at least went with "Super Wii".

Yeah, that blue U doesn't stand out enough. I read it as "Wii". Obviously they have the GamePad front and centre which is obviously the right thing to do.

but EA is trying to sabotage Nintendo!
Well SEGA couldn't take em down so Peter Moore is trying another way :)

antonz

You can see the visual difference in AC3 from the other versions even in Off screen footage. Colors come across more vibrant. Things look better in general

Agreed. No way is it going to be a Wii situation.

Yeah, that blue U doesn't stand out enough. I read it as "Wii". Obviously they have the GamePad front and centre which is obviously the right thing to do.

Well SEGA couldn't take em down so Peter Moore is trying another way :)

So the first thing people notice is the Tablet (with the very Wii like console sitting at the back), then they notice the Wii sign, im guessing a large number of mass market consumers will brush this off as an add on.

Nintendo need to make sure people know its a brand new next gen console in their advertising, surely they have learned from the 3DS launch and people thinking it was just an upgraded DS.

AzaK

You can see the visual difference in AC3 from the other versions even in Off screen footage. Colors come across more vibrant. Things look better in general

I'd like to see a good side by side with direct feed though. Colours can be changed with TV settings pretty easily.

So the first thing people notice is the Tablet (with the very Wii like console sitting at the back), then they notice the Wii sign, im guessing a large number of mass market consumers will brush this off as an add on.

Nintendo need to make sure people know its a brand new next gen console in their advertising, surely they have learned from the 3DS launch and people thinking it was just an upgraded DS.

Sure it's not ideal using the Wii name but they had to use it; the brand awareness is still pretty large. Maybe it's not good design, but even some text like "The next-generation is starting" or even something more oriented to the casual might have helped fortify the "new console" idea.

They have to make sure though that the TV adverts and things explain that it's a new console. I do wonder that if someone who has a Wii sees the tablet and thinks it's an addon, will they go "Oh no, I don't need another thing for that dust collector I have."

Meelow

Banned

Absolutely ridiculous.

Than EA would be sabotaging their own sales where no company would do that, this is just EA being EA, Madden 06 on the Xbox 360 sucked as well.

That'll be down to differences in the TVs they were using, rather than the superiority of the console.

And because of stuff like that, I think we're going to have to wait until the final versions of these games come out before Digital Foundry and the like can make accurate comparisons of them.

There's been no info to suggest that any of the WiiU CPU cores is locked to only the OS (like one ARM core was initially for 3DS). Its possible as always that efficiency improvements could lessen the OS overhead IF its even being run by the main CPU but who knows how significant of an effect that could have on improved processing power for gaming.

What should make a significant difference is the integration of the audio chip and I/O controllers into game engines. A lot of devs porting code over from 360 will still be doing I/O and audio on the main CPU just as 360 does, possibly taking up as much as one whole CPU core that could otherwise be freed up for other applications on WiiU.

If I remember correctly devs didn't have access to the audio chip or I/O controllers until recently, correct? So it's likely at least some of this talk we've heard is from dev who are not using either, right?

I'm just having a hard time believing these reports that the CPU is weak and I'm trying to make since of it and I wonder if devs don't have access to the full architecture in the dev kits. If AC3 is now being reported as possibly being the superior version (even if only by a small margin) wouldn't that in itself show the CPU should be capable of running close to any PS360 port? Since it's likely AC3 is pushing PS360 as hard as most games have, I would take that as proof that either A.) The CPU is not weak or B.) There are easily ways to counter any weak CPU (such as the audio chip or I/O contollers or optimizations...Would others agree?

I'd like to see a good side by side with direct feed though. Colours can be changed with TV settings pretty easily.

Sure it's not ideal using the Wii name but they had to use it; the brand awareness is still pretty large. Maybe it's not good design, but even some text like "The next-generation is starting" or even something more oriented to the casual might have helped fortify the "new console" idea.

They have to make sure though that the TV adverts and things explain that it's a new console. I do wonder that if someone who has a Wii sees the tablet and thinks it's an addon, will they go "Oh no, I don't need another thing for that dust collector I have."

That'll be down to differences in the TVs they were using, rather than the superiority of the console.

And because of stuff like that, I think we're going to have to wait until the final versions of these games come out before Digital Foundry and the like can make accurate comparisons of them.

There were other pointers like draw distance and textures which were obviously better, off-screen and different TVs besides. GT's SS basically confirmed it all anyway.

Things like texture pop-in, draw distance, frame rate and Anti-Aliasing should all be improved in the Wii U version to make it look better overall.

For the general public who are not into games in a big way i doubt most of them could tell you the difference between Wii games and PS360 games from TV adverts so things like NSMB U, Nintendo Land and Pikmin certainly won't make them think, 'this is a massive leap, i need one now !!!'.

If Wii U flops, the Wii brand name will be first to blame, the 90% marketing focus on the Tablet will be second and the lack of a massive generational leap, graphical showcase launch game will be third imo.

This is Nintendo tho, the Yanks and Japs are Nintendo nuts ;), if the console doesn't shift 5 million plus in it's first 4 months just from NSMB U then i will be really surprised :).

Roll on September so we can see how much this thing is going to cost !.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
It would be nice if at least one of the tech savvy guys could explain some of the terms that are used a lot when discussing the Wii U hardware.

I've tried googling them and it's hard to understand how they will benefit Wii U form Wiki articles.

-I/O Controller Chip.
Beats me. Frankly, it looks like a division-by-zero waiting to happen.

-Out of Order CPU.
A broken CPU? A CPU you can't order? I got nothing.

Gran Prix GPU - F1 for GPUs.

-Compute Shaders.
Sounds like shaders that need to be executed on the CPU. Intel GMA9xx had plenty of those.

Things like texture pop-in, draw distance, frame rate and Anti-Aliasing should all be improved in the Wii U version to make it look better overall.

It's likely that they will, but I think comparing pre-release stuff like it's representative of the final product is dangerous. What if the Wii U version of a game looks worse before release?

jmizzal

Wasnt AC3 kinda built ground up for WiiU?

At E3 2011 AC3 was announced for WiiU, that was before we know it was AC3 and before AC3 was even announced at all for anything.

So its not a port, it was built for WiiU

Wasnt AC3 kinda built ground up for WiiU?

At E3 2011 AC3 was announced for WiiU, that was before we know it was AC3 and before AC3 was even announced at all for anything.

So its not a port, it was built for WiiU

AC3 uses their next gen engine AnvilNext, wich should suite Wii U far more than Xbox360 and PS3.

All games in the next 2-3 years will rely on it just like with the anvil engine (AC2, AC Brotherhood and AC Revelations all run on Anvil engine)

No dev builds a brand new engine for just 1 game.

jmizzal

I'm so tired of people crying about Madden WiiU, like has been said 100 times 360 Madden 06 was crappy port.

This Madden is getting a lot of new features for it to stand on its own, next years Madden will prob be the best one, since it will likely have everything plus 2 gamepad support.

But this Madden doesnt not look like a crappy port, more like just a prototype of what to expect Madden on WiiU to become.

Beats me. Frankly, it looks like a division-by-zero waiting to happen.

A broken CPU? A CPU you can't order? I got nothing.

Gran Prix GPU - F1 for GPUs.

Sounds like shaders that need to be executed on the CPU. Intel GMA9xx had plenty of those.

I honestly can't tell if something is lost in translation with you and you're being funny or if you really do get an evil kick out of kicking stray dogs up the arse.

Meelow

Banned
I'm so tired of people crying about Madden WiiU, like has been said 100 times 360 Madden 06 was crappy port.

This Madden is getting a lot of new features for it to stand on its own, next years Madden will prob be the best one, since it will likely have everything plus 2 gamepad support.

But this Madden doesnt not look like a crappy port, more like just a prototype of what to expect Madden on WiiU to become.

I agree, I do think though that the graphics where not really worked on that much though, FIFA 13 Wii U looks much better graphically than Madden 13 Wii U.

jmizzal

AC3 uses their next gen engine AnvilNext, wich should suite Wii U far more than Xbox360 and PS3.

All games in the next 2-3 years will rely on it just like with the anvil engine (AC2, AC Brotherhood and AC Revelations all run on Anvil engine)

No dev builds a brand new engine for just 1 game.

Thats kinda what I mean it wasnt just some port, it was build to fit WiiU hardware and they had a lot of time on it and wasnt just a rush job.

Thats kinda what I mean it wasnt just some port, it was build to fit WiiU hardware and they had a lot of time on it and wasnt just a rush job.

Thats why i believe this is the first game to show some clear graphical improvement over PS360.

I hope for some direct feed (Maybe from an even newer build than E3) on the September conference.

Meelow

Banned
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom