• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Well as far as I know they where the first to report this.

http://wiiudaily.com/2012/06/wii-u-getting-achievements-cloud-storage-social-networking/

And most stuff was correct.

Most of the stuff isn't correct though, nor incorrect, but completely unknown. An achievement like system has been mentioned but not detailed at all. We know nothing of additional features of Miis. Cloud storage is not confirmed. Twitter/Facebook and other social networking features are not confirmed. Majority of what is being claimed isn't official and hasn't been confirmed, thus dumping it in the maybe pile and not evidence for any accuracy of the actual report.

the original post by axis..

and plus many people have been offered the oppurtunity to preorder a black WiiU.

Nothing is really confirmed but if people want to say the white one is and the black isnt thats really messed up because white isnt actually "confirmed" either.

The point is, just because a game store employee guesses that there might be black, isn't any form of confirmation whatsoever. Nintendo doesn't give game stores any information at all before they announce it to the world. You know why all those game stores that are accepting preorders are accepting black? Because at E3 some of the units on display were black. It's a good educated guess, but that's it. That's why the more reputable places aren't taking preorders yet.

EDarkness

Most of the stuff isn't correct though, nor incorrect, but completely unknown. An achievement like system has been mentioned but not detailed at all. We know nothing of additional features of Miis. Cloud storage is not confirmed. Twitter/Facebook and other social networking features are not confirmed. Majority of what is being claimed isn't official and hasn't been confirmed, thus dumping it in the maybe pile and not evidence for any accuracy of the actual report.

I thought Nintendo said Twitter/Facebook stuff would be later? I remember a Nintendo rep saying something to that effect, but that could have been a bunch of BS.

Edit: I looked back on my notes and saw that it was the opposite. They wouldn't integrate Twitter or Facebook into their OS. Web functionality, but that was it and even then it would happen later. However, she did say things could change.

The point is, just because a game store employee guesses that there might be black, isn't any form of confirmation whatsoever. Nintendo doesn't give game stores any information at all before they announce it to the world. You know why all those game stores that are accepting preorders are accepting black? Because at E3 some of the units on display were black. It's a good educated guess, but that's it. That's why the more reputable places aren't taking preorders yet.
I understand that, The same game stores are guessing white too. Some units are E3 were white, some were black. No wiis at e3 06 that playable were red,green and all those colors.

The Wii U will finally flex its muscles with Mega Man 11. My tears of joy are ready.

I for one can't wait for the Wii U versions of Street Fighter IV and Dead Rising: Chop Til You Drop. Dare I hope for Viewtiful Joe: Red Hot Rumble?

Seriously though, I can see a fighting game of some sort because those are relatively easy and maybe Dragon's Dogma because, dammit, Capcom is going to make you give a shit about Dragon's Dogma.

I think RE6 is on a slightly lower tier of plausibility, but that would be a great title to get for Nintendo. Even if Capcom were bringing RE6 to the Wii U, however, putting it out at launch runs the risk of it being overshadowed by ACIII or whatever. Maybe they'll hold off until the inevitable Gold edition the following year. I think title crowding is going to be a big problem if the system launches in November. You can't just launch with thirty games. They'll kill each other

And the least possible Capcom game is something exclusive or original that people actually care about.

the original post by axis..

and plus many people have been offered the oppurtunity to preorder a black WiiU.

Nothing is really confirmed but if people want to say the white one is and the black isnt thats really messed up because white isnt actually "confirmed" either.

Sorry, I misintrepreted your tone when you posted that in the other thread.

I know some of you hate Wii U Daily website but apparently a source from EA is saying that Battlefield 3 was in development for Wii U but got cancelled and now Battlefield 4 is coming to Wii U.

http://wiiudaily.com/2012/08/battlefield-3-on-wii-u/

I just can't take anything from that site seriously after the story they ran the day before E3 stating that a source told them NSMBU would be called "New Super Mario World" and that Bowser and Peach would be playable characters. I think they've run quite a few other dubious pieces as well.

Yeah, typical retailer stuff, makes so much sense now. :/ Bah, come on Fall conference!

Meelow

Banned
I just can't take anything from that site seriously after the story they ran the day before E3 stating that a source told them NSMBU would be called "New Super Mario World" and that Bowser and Peach would be playable characters. I think they've run quite a few other dubious pieces as well.

Wait what? lol, do you have a link to the article?.

The_Lump

Banned
EA on Fifa 13 Wii U (specific examples regarding graphical improvements, lacking features, Online)

Speaking about graphics...

"...they are on par (with 360/PS3) and there are a couple of features that we have been able to graphically enhance. It's not going to be miles ahead, but two things we have improved just in terms of the fidelity and quality are the pitch. If you have a look at the pitch texture there's a lot more detail in it and we're working on that as we speak to hopefully improve it even further.

One of the common complaints is the crowd, and if you look at the crowd on the Wii U it's double the resolution. We had limited resources in which to improve, so we wanted to make sure we got the biggest bang for the buck, if you will. Obviously the pitch is something you're staring at like 90 percent of the time when you're playing, so crowd and pitch were two areas we focused on.

With new hardware, one of the challenges is—unlike PS3 and 360, where you've got a game, it's finished, it's done, and you build on top of it next year—we don't have a game. So we have to build that foundation, and just like building anything, you need a solid foundation that's stable on which to build."

On why some features in the 360/PS3 version are not coming to Wii U...

"We have to take a point in time when [the game's] stable and then bring it over and then all the work we're building on top of it, so in terms of where this is at, it's not [FIFA] 12, 'cause there's a lot of enhancements from 12, it's not 13—it's kind of somewhere in between at a core level. ...obviously, on top of that we've got all the new Wii U functionality, so there's a lot in our game that's not in 360 and PS3.

We wanted to make sure we got the most popular feature in [versions for] 360 and PS3. Either online or offline, the most popular feature in it is an online mode called Online Seasons, so that's in the Wii U [version]. Some of the more advanced [modes] that took many years to kind of come onto 360 and PS3, things like Ultimate Team, they aren't on it at launch, but the biggest one in terms of popularity is."

On online play and a friend list...

"A friends tab that's always there in the front end on the [Wii U GamePad] so you can tap it, you've got a list of friends, (which pulls from) the friends list from the Wii U console. You can tap an invite to them, or you can tap a message to them. Obviously, touch screen messaging is much better than the 360 Live virtual keyboard where you're moving it up and down. ...we really want to connect friends and allow people to game with friends as easily as possible."

Synopsis comes from that site you GO to but the original interview comes from here:
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/31258

Good stuff indeed. Colour me excited.

Wait what? lol, do you have a link to the article?.

http://wiiudaily.com/new-super-mario-bros-u/

New Super Mario Bros Wii U is set in the familiar Super Mario universe, and it’s expected that many other characters will be playable in addition to Mario. These playable characters include Luigi, Toad, Peach, Bowser, and others. Rumors suggest that this will be the direct sequel to New Super Mario Bros Wii, which was released back in 1990 on the SNES. (haha, Oops! Major stealth edit fail) It’s unknown whether it will continue the story right where it left off, or start somewhere else.

They still have the totally false playable character info in their preview summary for the game! Except where you now see "New Super Mario Bros Wii U" they originally had either "New Super Mario World," or "Super Mario World 2" and that a "reliable source" told them this. Uh huh. It's extremely poor editing too because obviously they originally had "the direct sequel to Super Mario World which was released back in 1990 on the SNES" but sloppily replaced it with NSMB Wii without taking out the rest of the original sentence. Zero credibility in my book.

Banned
Firstly, the E3 2011 demo reel showing BF3 did not confirm BF3 for the Wii U. I'm fairly sure DICE went on record shortly after specifically stating that no Wii U build was currently in the works, as they were busy with other stuff.

Secondly, and most importantly, Wii U daily does not have sources. They're full of shit. Any 'truth' behind anything they claim is coincidence.
I have more sources than Wii U Daily. They lost all credibility with the "Wii U has 768mb of eDRAM" rumor.

The lack of announcements for Facebook and twitter makes me think Nintendo wants MiiVerse to be the only social app for the Wii U. It's traceable and can be filtered and monitored.

EA on Fifa 13 Wii U (specific examples regarding graphical improvements, lacking features, Online)

Speaking about graphics...

"...they are on par (with 360/PS3) and there are a couple of features that we have been able to graphically enhance. It's not going to be miles ahead, but two things we have improved just in terms of the fidelity and quality are the pitch. If you have a look at the pitch texture there's a lot more detail in it and we're working on that as we speak to hopefully improve it even further.

One of the common complaints is the crowd, and if you look at the crowd on the Wii U it's double the resolution. We had limited resources in which to improve, so we wanted to make sure we got the biggest bang for the buck, if you will. Obviously the pitch is something you're staring at like 90 percent of the time when you're playing, so crowd and pitch were two areas we focused on.

With new hardware, one of the challenges is—unlike PS3 and 360, where you've got a game, it's finished, it's done, and you build on top of it next year—we don't have a game. So we have to build that foundation, and just like building anything, you need a solid foundation that's stable on which to build."

On why some features in the 360/PS3 version are not coming to Wii U...

"We have to take a point in time when [the game's] stable and then bring it over and then all the work we're building on top of it, so in terms of where this is at, it's not [FIFA] 12, 'cause there's a lot of enhancements from 12, it's not 13—it's kind of somewhere in between at a core level. ...obviously, on top of that we've got all the new Wii U functionality, so there's a lot in our game that's not in 360 and PS3.

We wanted to make sure we got the most popular feature in [versions for] 360 and PS3. Either online or offline, the most popular feature in it is an online mode called Online Seasons, so that's in the Wii U [version]. Some of the more advanced [modes] that took many years to kind of come onto 360 and PS3, things like Ultimate Team, they aren't on it at launch, but the biggest one in terms of popularity is."

On online play and a friend list...

"A friends tab that's always there in the front end on the [Wii U GamePad] so you can tap it, you've got a list of friends, (which pulls from) the friends list from the Wii U console. You can tap an invite to them, or you can tap a message to them. Obviously, touch screen messaging is much better than the 360 Live virtual keyboard where you're moving it up and down. ...we really want to connect friends and allow people to game with friends as easily as possible."

Synopsis comes from that site you GO to but the original interview comes from here:
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/31258

Regarding the part i underlined, I hope he means the size of the dev team and not the hardware.

NateDrake

Amazon.CA posted this as a Wii U box art. Thoughts?

918wH1qMdTL._AA1500_.jpg

The spine of the box is the most important thing for me at this point. Especially in EU where the fonts seldom differ, my Wii and DS collections look terribly bland on the shelves lol.

cand

That's what it sounds like, the Wii U memory is 4-5x more than Xbox 360 memory so they it's definitely the resources of the team.

I love it! :D, it reminds me of the GameCube one.

But with an awkward yellow line that always catch your eye and stares into your soul

I'm glad to see that you can all read the minds of the staff at Platinum. What if the staff decides that such a thing is completely beneficial for them? Is that not a consideration? I mean, the last company that most of them were involved with is Capcom, and the stories you hear about from the inside of management there are unlike ANYTHING Nintendo has made a developer submit to. I think this idea of Draconian Nintendo control of their development teams is hugely over-dramatized.
The fact that bought teams suffer talent drains is a big reason that Iwata has stated that Nintendo has ceased to buy teams wholesale. Retro suffered particularly heavily from this. Nintendo favours collaboration more nowadays, hence their deals with companies like Next Level, Monster, Q Games, Grezzo, Travellers Tales and, indeed, Platinum.
As has been stated, Platinum is largely made up of creators who would fit into the Nintendo structure uneasily at best. I'd argue that collaboration and publishing deals suit Platinum way more than a buyout.

cand

The GameCube one had an awkward grey one, didn't change a thing lol.

343px-The_Legend_of_Zelda_-_Twilight_Princess_%28GameCube%29.png

Yeah sorry now that I think about it, it is 2-3x, since the Wii U ram is 2-3gb.

It's not the line, it's the yellow. I mean omg, everytime I look to these Wii U covers the yellow line just jumps in my face. I liked that mock up of the zelda hd collection more.

Meelow

Banned
I thought the expected range was 1.5 to 2 GB, based on rumoured devkit amounts of around 3GB.

Now people are saying 2-3gb and it has 4gb in the dev kits.

That's what I've been hearing on NeoGAF anyway.

What? 2GB is 4x Xbox360's RAM.

See I thought's so, I'm not 100% sure how much memory the Xbox 360 has, sorry.

It's not the line, it's the yellow. I mean omg, everytime I look to these Wii U covers the yellow line just jumps in my face. I liked that mock up of the zelda hd collection more.

I guess you'll have to deal with it if it's true lol.

You know you think the yellow line fits with the box design! lol

JordanN

Banned
Anyway, to get less semantical, what I want to know is: Are people currently expecting it to be at ~2GB and not ~1.5GB?
I think there's going to be 2GB ram in total with perhaps 1.5GB plus 32mb edram available for games.

Optimizations down the road could free up an extra 256mb for games (or Nintendo may be generous and give the whole 2GB to devs and buy separate ram for the OS).

ohlawd

Isn't it ~1.5 for games and ~0.5 for the OS? Total of 2 gigs? Someone swoop in from the above and clarify all this :D

As for the Wii U boxes, it does look like a GameCube case so +1 from me.

tenchir

In addition to being 4x of 512MB, 2GB also happens to be 3x more than 512MB.

Anyway, to get less semantical, what I want to know is: Are people currently expecting it to be at ~2GB and not ~1.5GB?

edit:

OH SWEET! :D

...oh. :|

It has to be 2GB because it's cheaper that way. There are multiple chip configurations for 1.5GB such 3x 512MB memory chips, 1x 1GB + 1x 512MB chips, or 2x 1GB chips. The costs isn't significantly different between 3x 512MB vs 1x 2GB. Using odd numbered chips could screw with mutli-channel bandwidth between the CPU/GPU to memory also. Unless they are using something similar to intel triple-channel memory, then 3x512MB would make sense.

I'm thinking that it's uses 2GB, but some of the memory are reserved for OS footprint and other services.

Isn't it ~1.5 for games and ~0.5 for the OS? Total of 2 gigs? Someone swoop in from the above and clarify all this :D

The 0.5 GB for the OS was reserved storage space. That much I remember.

edit: Let me edit this…

Okay. There was a report that there's 512MB of physical space set aside for the OS which is separate from the flash memory used for saves and such

(still editing to save face)

But the original reports from France suggested that at that time with the devkit a certain amount of memorywhich happened to be about 512MB was being reserved for system functions. However, I believe this was not necessarily expected to remain the same amount.

(okay, done, face saved at least a little bit)

Now people are saying 2-3gb and it has 4gb in the dev kits.

That's what I've been hearing on NeoGAF anyway.

See I thought's so, I'm not 100% sure how much memory the Xbox 360 has, sorry.

I guess you'll have to deal with it if it's true lol.

You know you think the yellow line fits with the box design! lol

Wait, what? Did I miss the rumors that people now expect more than 2 GB's? I thought it was widely speculated that it would be ~1.5-2GB's?

Edit: Of course with the above mentioned ~.5 of that for OS features...

TunaLover

That outer yellow line doesn´t make any sense, Nintendo has never used that color for Wii/WiiU branding.

They always have used diferent shades of gray and skyblue, that yellow is completely out the place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom