• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MDX

Already posted??

“Retro is very busy right now, but I’m afraid I can’t say exactly what it is that they’re very busy [working] on.”

“In terms of them working on a Zelda, it’s not out of the question, certainly, for them to work on an entire Zelda game amongst themselves. Traditionally I think that the Zelda team has always had a close contact with anyone who’s working on a Zelda game. If you were going to have that happen in the US at Retro, that would be kind of difficult for them to be able to coordinate. Certainly they’re too busy for that sort of thing right now. It would probably require me to be involved to a great extent as well, so I would have to get over quite a bit too. I’d probably have to live in Texas… [laughs]“
http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/06/12/retro-studios-too-busy-to-work-on-zelda?

Retro is not working on Zelda.

MDX

Actually, what are the game genres that need to be filled?

I'm guessing at some of these, as occasionally the info is not very detailed and occasionally games straddle genres. Genres which are undersupported are in red.

Action: Marvel Avengers: Battle for Earth, Ninja Gaiden 3, Assassin’s Creed III, Tank! Tank! Tank!
Adventure, Linear-ish: Darksiders II, Ben 10: Omniverse
Adventure, Online: <like ten games rumoured but nothing confirmed>
Adventure, Open world: LEGO City: Undercover
Batman: Arkham City
Fighting: Tekken Tag Tournament 2
Fitness: Your Shape: Fitness Evolved 2013, Wii Fit U
Music, Dancing: Just Dance 4
Music, Rhythm: ???
Music, Singing: SiNG
Party: Game & Wario, Nintendo Land, Rabbids Land
Platforming, 2D: NSMBU, Rayman Legends, Trine: Director's cut, Aban Hawkins & the 1,001 Spikes, Cloudberry Kingdom
Platforming, 3D: <nothing> D:
Puzzle: Scribblenauts Unlimited
Racing: Jett Tailfin, Sonic Kart U
Role-playing, Action: ???
Role-playing, Japanese: ???
Role-playing, Roguelike: ???
Role-playing, Strategy: ???
Role-playing, Western: Mass Effect 3
Shooting, 2D: <nothing> D:
Shooting, 3D: Zombi U, Aliens: Colonial Marines
Simulation: ???
Sports: NBA 2K13, Sports Connection
Strategy, Real-time: Pikmin 3, Project P-100
Strategy, Turn-based: <nothing> D:
Trivia: ???

???????: Chasing Aurora, Bit.Trip Runner2

So what am I missing from the list of confirmed games? What genres are notable that I haven't noted?

Looks like you can add this to your list:

Sacrilegium

Sacrilegium, the next game from Two Worlds developer Reality Pump is just a little different from its previous fantasy-driven efforts. Taking a break from orcs and wizards, Sacrilegium is a survival horror title set in modern day Romania – and yes, Vlad the Impaler does figure in there somewhere, though Reality Pump is keeping mum on the subject until Gamescom later this year.

The story follows Alex – a 20-year-old Californian college student who is "fully aware of her breathtaking beauty," though "she never is looking to use it to her advantage" – as she battles vampires whilst traveling the land on an "appropriated police motorbike." The game promises cinematic combat, quick time events and "ultra-realistic motion capture," all powered by Reality Pump's new GRACE 2 engine.

We were told by publisher TopWare that Reality Pump hopes to return survival horror to its PlayStation 1 roots, eschewing modern horror's tendency for maximum firepower and jump scares in favor of more atmospheric terror. Somewhat paradoxically, the game is also promising a "deadly arsenal will whet all appetites."

Sacrilegium is slated for a Q2 2013 release on PC, Mac, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and Wii U.

http://www.sacrilegium.com/en/index.html
http://youtu.be/zSoydEAnxbQ
http://www.joystiq.com/2012/06/07/reality-pumps-sacrilegium-takes-survival-horror-to-modern-roman/

TheJerit

I think this is the first time I've seen the actual size of the console. Not sure if that will be final but its interesting to finally see something as the E3 one's appeared to only stick out halfway...

917e86bcb4a611e1ab011231381052c0_7.jpg

that seems quite the step up from the wii's size (I'm also willing to admit its hard to say for sure with that screen but it certainly looks that way) so I don't think its out of the question to see good mid + level hardware in there and still have efficient cooling. I know some were down based on seeing the back of the wiiu with the smaller fan and thinking this meant the worst, but I think this looks promising.

MDX

I think this is the first time I've seen the actual size of the console. Not sure if that will be final but its interesting to finally see something as the E3 one's appeared to only stick out halfway...

that seems quite the step up from the wii's size (I'm also willing to admit its hard to say for sure with that screen but it certainly looks that way) so I don't think its out of the question to see good mid + level hardware in there and still have efficient cooling. I know some were down based on seeing the back of the wiiu with the smaller fan and thinking this meant the worst, but I think this looks promising.

Dont forget, the space is not used for a HardDrive or a Powerbrick.

Eradicate

We need deeper games like that boris feinbrand. I can't think of any games really that touch upon those sorts of concepts like getting older, young reality, etc. Hopefully some skilled developers out there would tackle that!

Hmmm...almost clipboard sized!

Already posted??

&#8220;Retro is very busy right now, but I&#8217;m afraid I can&#8217;t say exactly what it is that they&#8217;re very busy [working] on.&#8221;

&#8220;In terms of them working on a Zelda, it&#8217;s not out of the question, certainly, for them to work on an entire Zelda game amongst themselves. Traditionally I think that the Zelda team has always had a close contact with anyone who&#8217;s working on a Zelda game. If you were going to have that happen in the US at Retro, that would be kind of difficult for them to be able to coordinate. Certainly they&#8217;re too busy for that sort of thing right now. It would probably require me to be involved to a great extent as well, so I would have to get over quite a bit too. I&#8217;d probably have to live in Texas&#8230; [laughs]&#8220;

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/06/12/retro-studios-too-busy-to-work-on-zelda?

Retro is not working on Zelda.

That settles that! I wonder if they'll be working on something entirely new or reworking another Nintendo franchise? The comment on how he'd be required to be involved a great extent leads me to believe it's not something that is requiring much (if any) input from Miyamoto.

TheJerit

Dont forget, the space is not used for a HardDrive or a Powerbrick.

bingo, that's what makes me even more "optimistic" ;)

here's another one I found from their Nlife's twitter;

b2559cc0b48f11e19894123138140d8c_7.jpg

edit: hmm that angle or whatever puts this one a bit more "off" to me, as in it doesn't seem right, but that's angles for ya. I think a good point of this though is that we should start seeing a lot more images of the console itself soon and def get a better idea.

wsippel

Banned
Looks like you can add this to your list:

Sacrilegium

Sacrilegium, the next game from Two Worlds developer Reality Pump is just a little different from its previous fantasy-driven efforts. Taking a break from orcs and wizards, Sacrilegium is a survival horror title set in modern day Romania – and yes, Vlad the Impaler does figure in there somewhere, though Reality Pump is keeping mum on the subject until Gamescom later this year.

The story follows Alex – a 20-year-old Californian college student who is "fully aware of her breathtaking beauty," though "she never is looking to use it to her advantage" – as she battles vampires whilst traveling the land on an "appropriated police motorbike." The game promises cinematic combat, quick time events and "ultra-realistic motion capture," all powered by Reality Pump's new GRACE 2 engine.

We were told by publisher TopWare that Reality Pump hopes to return survival horror to its PlayStation 1 roots, eschewing modern horror's tendency for maximum firepower and jump scares in favor of more atmospheric terror. Somewhat paradoxically, the game is also promising a "deadly arsenal will whet all appetites."

Sacrilegium is slated for a Q2 2013 release on PC, Mac, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and Wii U.

http://www.sacrilegium.com/en/index.html
http://youtu.be/zSoydEAnxbQ
http://www.joystiq.com/2012/06/07/reality-pumps-sacrilegium-takes-survival-horror-to-modern-roman/
Wii U isn't mentioned on the official site, it isn't mentioned in the actual press release and it isn't mentioned on Topware's site. Not saying Joystiq is wrong, but there's no proof they're right, either.

TheJerit

It looks, size-wise, like a 360 that feeds from where the HDD goes.

Hopefully that fits wherever I eventually end up putting it...

yeah i felt that way too. i'm not sure why they went again with such an elongated look while everyone else goes for a more "landscape" style.

TheJerit

here's another shot but from the side. we get to see some of the vents. They appear to be somewhat decent-sized.

edit: I also see that there is a small one on top right above this side too. Good.

48efc166b48f11e1b00112313800c5e4_7.jpg

Eradicate

Cloudberry team interview here

Not too much new, but it seems like Nintendo was easy to work with and that the updating process for games is pretty quick for eShop titles.

Also, loving the pictures of the console! I really would love to see a picture from the back and underneath sometime soon hopefully!

Wii U isn't mentioned on the official site, it isn't mentioned in the actual press release and it isn't mentioned on Topware's site. Not saying Joystiq is wrong, but there's no proof they're right, either.

Oh, that also reminds me that the list is mainly intended to be for "launch window" games, stuff coming out no later than end of March. I need to actually go back and double check that none of the games on Nintendo's release list had a "TBA" attached to them. Forgot about that.

Actually, what are the game genres that need to be filled?

I'm guessing at some of these, as occasionally the info is not very detailed and occasionally games straddle genres. Genres which are undersupported are in red.

Action: Marvel Avengers: Battle for Earth, Ninja Gaiden 3, Assassin’s Creed III, Tank! Tank! Tank!
Adventure, Linear-ish: Darksiders II, Ben 10: Omniverse
Adventure, Online: <like ten games rumoured but nothing confirmed>
Adventure, Open world: LEGO City: Undercover
Batman: Arkham City
Fighting: Tekken Tag Tournament 2
Fitness: Your Shape: Fitness Evolved 2013, Wii Fit U
Music, Dancing: Just Dance 4
Music, Rhythm: ???
Music, Singing: SiNG
Party: Game & Wario, Nintendo Land, Rabbids Land
Platforming, 2D: NSMBU, Rayman Legends, Trine: Director's cut, Aban Hawkins & the 1,001 Spikes, Cloudberry Kingdom
Platforming, 3D: <nothing> D:
Puzzle: Scribblenauts Unlimited
Racing: Jett Tailfin, Sonic Kart U
Role-playing, Action: ???
Role-playing, Japanese: ???
Role-playing, Roguelike: ???
Role-playing, Strategy: ???
Role-playing, Western: Mass Effect 3
Shooting, 2D: <nothing> D:
Shooting, 3D: Zombi U, Aliens: Colonial Marines
Simulation: ???
Sports: NBA 2K13, Sports Connection
Strategy, Real-time: Pikmin 3, Project P-100
Strategy, Turn-based: <nothing> D:
Trivia: ???

???????: Chasing Aurora, Bit.Trip Runner2

So what am I missing from the list of confirmed games? What genres are notable that I haven't noted?

Dragon Quest X is confirmed for WiiU already. That fits the JRPG or online Adventure game.

Eradicate

its hard for me to tell the scale of this console is that small or big?

I don't want it to be taken the wrong way, but from the looks of things (and me grabbing a clipboard for comparison), MAYBE two Gamecubes put together front-to-back or so (having cut off the convenient handle). I was just trying to think of something comparative you might have around. Definitely not as tall as a Gamecube though.

This is me eyeballing it though. I have a clipboard, but I don't have a ruler! The official size is:

Approximately 1.8 inches high, 10.5 inches deep and 6.8 inches long.

I just want someone to go haywire, grab the console and take tons of pictures, run away, and upload them on here. DrWong, please do this on Friday in Paris!

Roo

It means Nintendo is leading the way with future console design.
Which is good, considering the WiiU might become the baseline console to code from.

The system is strong enough to get current gen ports from the HD twins,
but wont deliver much in performance boost. In some cases might not
even run as good. But we currently do have some games, AC3 as an example, that have been ported which do show slight improvements.

not very encouraging tbqh =/

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
I think it's just some event for French gaming press to play the games and give impressions. Probably nothing new there; just the same stuff from E3.

This kind of showrooms are regularly scheduled by Nintendo France & communication agency, to present their new products in advance to the press, it's usually in rather small spaces with demonstration units, etc. It's cool because it's well organized most of the time, and we aren't like 100 for 20 consoles.

DrWong

Jelly. How are you getting to play Wii U games early? Journalist, blog, podcaster?
Journalist (entertainment, not directly game related in my case even if I was in the gaming press more than 10 years ago).

I think this is the NYC event- I expect it to just be the already known first party stuff.
Nope.

This:
Pretty sure it is a media event in Paris.

Yep! Should have think to it myself.

wsippel

Banned
I just watched the Gametrailers Xenoblade review more or less by chance, and it reminded me of a couple of things: First of all, Monolith is easily one of the most ambitious developers out there. Second, they not only tend to go well beyond the call of duty, they completely ignore platform limitations from the get go and do whatever the fuck they want. And third, they're first party.

People are free to shit on Nintendo all they want, but what Monolith and Nintendo have done here is absolutely incredible. Yeah, the character designs aren't great, and the armor designs are bad, and good music has nothing to do with the platform a game is on, but Xenoblade still is very much a milestone: Open world, dynamic day and night cycle, dynamic weather, gameplay elements linked to time and weather, oodles of visible loot, tons and tons of sidequests, a huge story, vast amounts of characters, well produced cutscenes by highly regarded companies like Production IG, Digital Frontier and Shirogumi, first class voice actors, an exceptional soundtrack... they outdid many current gen games on last gen hardware. I'm pretty damn sure whatever those dudes are working on will turn heads.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I just watched the Gametrailers Xenoblade review more or less by chance, and it reminded me of a couple of things: First of all, Monolith is easily one of the most ambitious developers out there. Second, they not only tend to go well beyond the call of duty, they completely ignore platform limitations from the get go and do whatever the fuck they want. And third, they're first party.

People are free to shit on Nintendo all they want, but what Monolith and Nintendo have done here is absolutely incredible. Yeah, the character designs aren't great, and the armor designs are bad, and good music has nothing to do with the platform a game is on, but Xenoblade still is very much a milestone: Open world, dynamic day and night cycle, dynamic weather, gameplay elements linked to time and weather, oodles of visible loot, tons and tons of sidequests, a huge story, vast amounts of characters, well produced cutscenes by highly regarded companies like Production IG, Digital Frontier and Shirogumi, first class voice actors, an exceptional soundtrack... they outdid many current gen games on last gen hardware. I'm pretty damn sure whatever those dudes are working on will turn heads.

Favorite Wii game for me, and I cannot wait to see what Monolith has for Wii U. I think we could see it unveiled relatively soon in Japan- Xenoblade was released two years ago already.

Penguin

I hope Nintendo re-releases it as an HD uprez title on Wii U

Easily one of the best games I've played all generation. And eager to see what they bring to the table with the new system.

Donnie

This kind of showrooms are regularly scheduled by Nintendo France & communication agency, to present their new products in advance to the press, it's usually in rather small spaces with demonstration units, etc. It's cool because it's well organized most of the time, and we aren't like 100 for 20 consoles.

Have you asked any of your sources about the claims we've heard lately from Beyond3D about WiiUs CPU? That its a low clocked (1.4ghz?) modified triple core Wii CPU with only one thread per core and that devs are having problems with floating point performance when porting PS3/360 code directly to the CPU.

Dr.Hadji

What else has Monolith made. I'd like to get excited about their next project but I'm not a fan of Xenoblade (battle system stopped being interesting WAAY before the game ended).

Donnie

If ports from current gen consoles are what you're looking forward to then no its not. Because ports from those consoles may be less of a quick and easy process than we thought. But if next gen ports and games made from the ground up for WiiU are what you're looking forward to its more encouraging. Because the design looks like its more forward thinking then we'd assumed.

Sadist

What else has Monolith made. I'd like to get excited about their next project but I'm not a fan of Xenoblade (battle system stopped being interesting WAAY before the game ended).
Baten Kaitos, Baten Kaitos Origins, Xenosaga I, II and III. And Disaster Day of Crisis

BD1

Banned
Favorite Wii game for me, and I cannot wait to see what Monolith has for Wii U. I think we could see it unveiled relatively soon in Japan- Xenoblade was released two years ago already.

I've said this in a few other threads, but my wild Nintendo prediction is that Monolith is working on a next-gen "reboot" of Murasame's castle. Why?

1 - Murasame's Castle was about aliens invading an Ancient castle. Both of Monolith's concept images featured an ancient floating castle and a UFO, respectively
2 - Takamura's Ninja Castle in NintendoLand is such an obscure franchise to include. Even the other obscure IP - balloon fight and Game&Watch - are well known franchises. Could they be reintroducing Takamura to the mass audience to prep us for a franchise reboot?

So, that's my whacky prediction. If it actually comes true, you heard it here first! :p

TheJerit

*Looks at avatar*

image.php

austin-powers.jpg

Yeah baby!
oh-stop-it-you.png

Hadnt seen official dimensions on the console before. Sound like were fairly close with clipboard dimensions. Just check our 360choices slim and if u turn the wiiu sideway (to match up better in perspective) theyre really close minus a some inches width-wise. Not too shabby....

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Actually I have a pretty positive feeling about the U. Last gen was very misguided CPU-wise. U, as the harbinger of the new gen seems to address that.

wsippel

Banned
Baten Kaitos, Baten Kaitos Origins, Xenosaga I, II and III. And Disaster Day of Crisis
Don't forget Soma Bringer. Man, that shit was weird. It's not simply the best, it's sadly the only good Diablo clone on DS. And the platform was made for games like that.

AzaK

That wasn't his complete statement. He was saying that the Wii U is strong enough to have current-gen ports, but the system appears to be designed to specifically handle downported next-gen games

Yeah it seems this is their goal, which I guess overall isn't silly but they could have good downports next gen as well as leading quality for the remainder of this gen (Which will continue into next gen no doubt)

Actually I have a pretty positive feeling about the U. Last gen was very misguided CPU-wise. U, as the harbinger of the new gen seems to address that.

What do you mean blu? Do you mean there was too much emphasis put on it? If they didn't do that, what would they have done because weren't compute shaders not really around then?

DrWong

Monolith is ze thing.

Yeah, for me too Monolith could/should be the big deal. Have to confess I'm more curious about them than about Rare. Also, I can't wait to know what they're working on for the 3DS.

And on a side note: I got over with my Nintendo E3 conference disappointment as I'm sure now it was more about strategic decision than lack of content or general ambition. And after reading a lot of E3 impressions, and speculations here, with the prospect to be able to test the system in a few days, I'm a bit re-hyped.

schuelma

I'm feeling a bit better with the EA and Activision quasi-confirmation of support. I also think (hope?) Japanese third party announcements will be pretty solid.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
RE: EA's two unannounced Wii U games

My intuition tells me at least one of them is a new franchise or new take on an existing series, not a port. Publishers like to use consoles launches as an opportunity to debut new IPs. The other game may be a port, and they want to announce them together... but I think the reason for holding info about these at E3 is in order to get maximum attention at a later date.

schuelma

RE: EA's two unannounced Wii U games

My intuition tells me at least one of them is a new franchise or new take on an existing series, not a port. Publishers like to use consoles launches as an opportunity to debut new IPs. The other game may be a port, and they want to announce them together... but I think the reason for holding info about these at E3 is in order to get maximum attention at a later date.

I really doubt it.

I think we'll be lucky if its current stuff as opposed to early 2012 and 2011 ports.

AzaK

Just saw this picture. Gaddamn! I NEED that black controller. They have to launch with this color.

wiiuhandson.jpg

It's strange that Nintendo were showing off the black controller so much at E3 and on their site but a Nintendo rep said that it's only launching in white. Hopefully it's not another of Nintendo's currently typical "We love the core, we love you!....SUCKERS!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom