• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linkhero1

I really hope it comes to fruition. It initially sounds like my kind of game.

Also a poster by the name of Dark_Link92 pointed this out. Nintendo Gamer is claiming the triggers are analog.

http://www.nintendo-gamer.net/2012/06/12/wii-u-your-questions-answered/2/
I hope a developer can comment on this. Would be really nice to know if they're really analog. If it's true Nintendo has been listening to some third party developers, then they probably requested analog triggers if they weren't already there.

clemenx

Banned
Lol #WorstWiiGameEver is trending on twitter, how random is that? Any reason? Most of them are funny and then I see this:
#WorstWiiGameEver is Super Mario Galaxy. Sorry guys, but it's not even remotely fun.
idontwanttoliveonthisplanetanymore.jpg

BlackJace

Lol #WorstWiiGameEver is trending on twitter, how random is that? Any reason? Most of them are funny and then I see this:

idontwanttoliveonthisplanetanymore.jpg

That person is obviously trolling. You might not like Galaxy, but saying its not remotely fun, or that it's the worst Wii game ever is insane.

Seriously though, I want Ravenblade to be a thing. I want a more mature, RPG focused Zelda game.
The worlds of Hyrule?

Yes.

But I'd love to be able to create a character in a Twilight Princess new tech art style. I wouldn't want it to star Link. I'd want it to literally be you avatar.

If there's not going to be an Black Wii-U at launch. Then you'd get a Black Pro Controller?

At this point they'd have to go "OH NO, that controller didn't exist in that color! White only!"

"Pff, that Black Wii-U and Pad! Didn't exist either! Even though there was like at least 50 of them on the floor! Unlike the concepts they usually have!"

Like the price, they have to be thinking and rethinking it over on what to launch with. I don't see why not just go all out and have both colors.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
I expect the demand for white and black models to be fairly close, around 40/60, so I don't think it will be a big deal for retailers.

Anth0ny

Tons of people at E3 have said the triggers ain't analogue (including Anihawk I believe). Hopefully this will be fixed by launch.

Touch

I expect the demand for white and black models to be fairly close, around 40/60, so I don't think it will be a big deal for retailers.
Possibly. I'm just assuming everyone that bought a Wii for Wii Fit/Wii Sports got the white model. A couple years later picked up one of those 4gb Xbox Kinect bundles and want to match it up. Not sure what the numbers look like for that assumption but yeah :lol

One color will be in higher demand than the other. Therefore, forcing one color to have a longer shelf life and making restock a hassle.

Reminds me of 3DS's loss of the launch blue.

Even if it doesn't come at launch, at some point Black is going to be there. It's just a matter of which one first or taking a chance with both.

So when do you think we'll see something graphically impressive? Like something the HD twins cannot do?

Outputting to two monitors simultaneously, while a long-running thing on personal computers, is an impressive graphical ability not acheivable on any current console. So November.

lednerg

Um... I hate to break it to you, but never.

Even the HD Twins have ways of streaming stuff to a second screen for that matter.

They can't stream video without severe lag. They would have to 1) render video for a second screen, 2) encode this video, 3) send it to the device via WiFi, and then 4) the device would have to then decode it. The Wii U has this capability built into the hardware and it can do it with zero lag.

Why would a console stronger than this gen not be able to outperform Uncharted, GoW, etc?

The question is not whether it can, but will it? Maybe at the end of Wii U's gen you can count how many particles a certain game has over those titles, or compare direct screen shots and see somewhat of a difference. But I do think 6 years from now, the best looking Wii U titles & the best ps360 titles will look roughly the same. I don't think developers are going to be concerned enough to push it beyond that level.

BlackJace

The question is not whether it can, but will it? Maybe at the end of Wii U's gen you can count how many particles a certain game has over those titles, or compare direct screen shots and see somewhat of a difference. But I do think 6 years from now, the best looking Wii U titles & the best ps360 titles will look roughly the same. I don't think developers are going to be concerned enough to push it beyond that level.

Good point. Only the future would know :p

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Given that the black unit is featured in all of their promo shots, I think its safe to say it will be available at launch...

u02ga.jpg

...not to mention its featured in the Nintendo Direct viral video.

This post ignores all of Nintendo's 1st party efforts.

Ummm...

We may never see a realistically designed internal title from Nintendo.

But I can safely say we will see some of the most beautiful games out there on their platform. SMG still looks phenomenal. And it's not because of tech.

Nintendo's games will probably be the closest gaming gets to "Pixar quality".

I can't wait to see what EAD Tokyo or the Zelda team has been working on.

Now Retro is an entirely different thing. They might have something that makes Halo 4 look antiquated.

lednerg

I'm real glad to see that the battery still appears to be removable.
This means that a 3rd party higher capacity replacement is at least possible. Those exist for 3DS, so I don't see why they wouldn't do the same for Wii U.

Effect

The black unit is what I'm going after. Honestly I wish that was the only color being offered as to kill any potential confusion some people might. Oh well.

I've been wondering about something. Sometimes the Wii seems to struggle to play certain games. I can here the disc drive really being put to use. Sometimes things don't load fast enough because the disc is still being read, etc. Not sure if that's because my system is a launch unit and the drive has been repaired once before (thanks Brawl) or if it's just the Wii itself trying to read and process what's on the disc and it can't do it fast enough sometimes depending on the game. The Wii U should not have any issues reading and processing Wii games right?

I know games wont be upscaled or anything but they simply could run better because the Wii U hardware would be able to handle whatever stress the Wii ended up being put under better?

I've been considering, even if games aren't really thrilling me, still getting the Wii U at launch and just letting it replace my Wii until more must haves come out. It can play Wii games and there are still a few I have not gotten that I do want to play. Wii U games should not be the only games I focus on come launch just because I have a new system. Want tame this desire to play a new game on the system just because instead of because I'm really interested in the game. That's how I ended up regretting Super Street Fighter IV when I got my 3DS and in the end solid it.

Gahiggidy

The first game built for Durango/Orbis that is downported to the Wii U will look better than anything on the Xbox 360 or Playstation 3.

BlackJace

This post ignores the 720p no AA 2D side scroller that is expected to be the main catalyst (besides NintendoLand) to move units.

While I don't understand their reasoning for that, basing your previous post on a launch game doesn't make much sense. I hate to bring up the Galaxy point yet again, but yes, Nintendo can create beautiful looking games on "weak" hardware.

You can bet their first party efforts will usurp that of the HD Twins at some point.

Ummm...

We may never see a realistically designed internal title from Nintendo.

But I can safely say we will see some of the most beautiful games out there on their platform. SMG still looks phenomenal. And it's not because of tech.

Nintendo's games will probably be the closest gaming gets to "Pixar quality".

I can't wait to see what EAD Tokyo or the Zelda team has been working on.

Now Retro is an entirely different thing. They might have something that makes Halo 4 look antiquated.

That's what I'm wanting the most. In game art styles, this is an area that has a hole waiting to be filled. I always imagine a reduced quality version of this DX11 AMD real-time demo would be a nice target for 3D Mario.

The first game built for Durango/Orbis that is downported to the Wii U will look better than anything on the Xbox 360 or Playstation 3.

True.

Scribblenauts? It's 1080p with AA. I don't think it's expected to move units, though.

I was specifically talking about Nintendo's first party titles.

While I don't understand their reasoning for that, basing your previous post on a launch game doesn't make much sense. I hate to bring up the Galaxy point yet again, but yes, Nintendo can create beautiful looking games on "weak" hardware.

I've never argued this point. In fact, I agree with it.

Like something the HD twins cannot do?

This, however, I do doubt.

Touch

I've been considering, even if games aren't really thrilling me, still getting the Wii U at launch and just letting it replace my Wii
This reminds me, what am I going to do with my Wii? I don't think it worth anything to sell it and there isn't really any emotional attachment to keep it.

Anth0ny

I think we can expect some incredible, colorful Mario/Zelda/first party Nintendo games on Wii U that will blow even current Dolphin screenshots out of the water. Think along the lines of Sonic Generations or Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts:

I'm okay with that!

But something like The Last of Us? A "realistic" artstyle that pushes the console to its graphical limits? Sure, we might see that... after the 720 and PS4 drop, effectively looking outdated from day one.

Roo

This reminds me, what am I going to do with my Wii? I don't think it worth anything to sell it and there isn't really any emotional attachment to keep it.

You might want to keep it for GCN BC... at least till Nintendo confirms GCN games on the VC
You know... just in case.

I'm real glad to see that the battery still appears to be removable.

This means that a 3rd party higher capacity replacement is at least possible. Those exist for 3DS, so I don't see why they wouldn't do the same for Wii U.

Now that you mention it, there are screws over the battery cover.
I was expecting something like the Wiimote "press and pull" battery cover for easy removal and change of battery

I'm saying this for those who refuse to conect the gamepad to the console while playing and don't want to wait 3 hours to charge it.

Linkhero1

I'm excited to see how the next Zelda and Metroid titles look. It's too bad we probably won't see either for a while. I think if there's anyone who can outdo 360/PS3 graphics, it's going to be Retro.

Touch

You might want to keep it for GCN BC... at least till Nintendo confirms GCN games on the VC
You know... just in case.
That's true. Damn forgot about the lack of GCN BC confirmation.

As for when we will see a game that out does Uncharteds and Halos of today, I think it will be next holiday season or beginning 2013 at best. Also, to be honest, I don't think it will come from Nintendo first party. There's a 3rd party exclusive monster out there, I can feel it.

BlackJace

I think we can expect some incredible, colorful Mario/Zelda/first party Nintendo games on Wii U that will blow even current Dolphin screenshots out of the water. Think along the lines of Sonic Generations or Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts:

I'm okay with that!

But something like The Last of Us? A "realistic" artstyle that pushes the console to its graphical limits? Sure, we might see that... after the 720 and PS4 drop, effectively looking outdated from day one.

Man I forgot how colorful and nice Generations was to look at :eek:

Effect

That's part of why, upon further thought, I'm trying to limit any launch purchase to one or two games if Nintendo Land is a pack in. I don't expect anything from the launch games/ports. At least compared to what will be showing up in 2013. They might be good but will they be worth the price that will be asked is the issue.

Linkhero1

How many people here are going to get ZombiU first day? It's a must buy for me after reading some of the impressions and watching a lot of the footage. I can't believe I'm saying this, but thank you Ubisoft for something good.

Touch

How many people here are going to get ZombiU first day? It's a must buy for me after reading some of the impressions and watching a lot of the footage. I can't believe I'm saying this, but thank you Ubisoft for something good.
It's in my thought process for sure. I'm like Effect, at the moment. Going to limit myself to 2 launch games. So I must choice wisely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom