• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
This is just me speculating. But i truly do think Nintendo considered re-releasing Skyward Sword for the Wii U. It definitely would not hurt being near launch.

I think Nintendo has a good opportunity to fill out their release schedule with HD ports of Gamecube and Wii games. Also could see the occasional 3rd party title.

Kacho

This is just me speculating. But i truly do think Nintendo considered re-releasing Skyward Sword for the Wii U. It definitely would not hurt being near launch.

I'm playing through Skyward Sword now and I wish that I could play the game with a controller. If Nintendo re-released the game on the Wii U with controller support I'd totally double dip.

HeySeuss

I would rather an online version of Four Swords with five players. Maybe have an option for one player to strategically place traps along the way or place enemies and make it timed so they have to clear it within a set time limit. So many possibilities with that.

Tokyo EAD's Wii U project..

I can't imagine what the best studio in the world (in my opinion at least) will bring to the table. Really excited to see their take on the controller.
I think the GamePad could definitely be used more than the Wii Remote was used for Galaxy. Galaxy didn't even have to rely on the novelty of motion controls very much, but it was still bloody brilliant. Whatever they come up with, I sure hope that it will be as revolutionary.

I also hope Zelda reawakens somehow. It doesn't really have the polish that recent Mario games have.

Then there's F-Zero. I own GX, but I'm not a big fan of the franchise. Still, even I think an ultra fast F-Zero game with tons of customization, high-energy courses, and seamless online play would be fantastic.

The only thing left I really think they should do is create a new IP. Ideally, I really want this new hero or heroine to become as iconic as Nintendo's other franchises, but it's difficult with Nintendo's rich history.

I seriously can't wait to play games like Mario Kart and Super Smash Bros. on Wii U.

I would love an Ocarina of Time remake using the same artstyle that was used in the fake Majora's Mask trailer released the day of E3 but the fact that it has just been re released on 3DS means it's a long shot to say the least.

Because of their graphical style almost all the big exclusive Gamecube and Wii games would look amazing running at 1080p / 60 fps, esp Mario Galaxy 1 & 2, Metroid Prime Trilogy, Zelda: Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword.

I think the chances of seeing 'HD re releases' on Wii U are pretty slim tho considering the console is backwards compatible with Wii games and they are planning on selling Gamecube games on the Eshop.

I would rather an online version of Four Swords with five players. Maybe have an option for one player to strategically place traps along the way or place enemies and make it timed so they have to clear it within a set time limit. So many possibilities with that.

Zelda four swords + Tingle Tuner confirmed? lol

Lachie007

Maybe im tired but all these people hoping for classic controller support 4 skyward sword really piss me off. I get the swimming & tightrope walking complaints but the rest of it feels so good. Can't imagine going back!

You know those Wii2HD jobbies you can get to plug the Wii into an HDMI, they are supposed to upscale the picture to 1080p (or 720p.) Some reviews on YouTube say they sort out a few jaggies, the colours are better and the sound is much clearer than over component. So at the very least, do you expect the WiiU to do that to Wii games?

chris3116

I think Nintendo has a good opportunity to fill out their release schedule with HD ports of Gamecube and Wii games. Also could see the occasional 3rd party title.

It will happen just like New Play control series on Wii. However, I won't buy any of them. I'll just keep my Wii around for the GameCube games. I can't see playing GameCube games without a GameCube controller.

Steph_E.

Both NSMB are made by different teams. If you read the Iwata asks about NSMB 2, they say that the NSMB 2 is made by a team of new developers that didn't make any 2D Mario and NSMBU is made by developers that have experiences to make 2D Mario.

So it's not about the time they made the games.

It does not matter who made the games, what does matter is that they were commissioned by someone at Nintendo. Nintendo must have some sort of overall plan and strategy of what they intend to release and when, and this plan must of necessity look several years into the future.

So, if it is an act of desperation for Nintendo to release 2 Mario games in quick succesion, when these games were planned Nintendo must have expected to now be in a desperate situation. I realise that the actual release dates are probably not set in stone until the games are nearing completion, but they would not both have been commissioned for one to be kept in cold strorage for a year or two, so from day one they must have been scheduled to be released fairly close together.

RAWi

I would totally dig a Four Sowrd online!

And I can see that happened, because of Four Swords (GC) making usage of a GBA like a second screen, and Wii U using the Wii U Game Pad as a second screen. Maybe we will be able to see a new Four Swords :D. Ihope! xD

As you may remember, the original Toki Tori’s modern remake was first released on WiiWare, so it makes a lot of sense to launch Toki Tori 2 on a new Nintendo machine.

Previously our game was running on the PC and Mac, but we’ve now reached a point where almost everything we’ve got in the game is running beautifully on Wii U as well.The only big feature we need to add is the audio, which should be done in a week or two.

Check out the brand new trailer below to see the game in action.

Don't really understand this. Sort of makes it sound that WiiU wasn't a target platform and it's taxing on PC and Mac, but managed to get it running smoothly on WiiU so might as well port it!! Doesn't look particularly tax.

Original Mario project, or New IP?

Because the latter would be amazingly good.

I think the problem with Nintendo and original IPs is the strong temptation to add Mario, Kirby, or Zelda into a new project that was suppose to be something totally new

I cannot wait to see them keep moving... 3DS eShop had quite a few new IPs though

D-e-f-

Banned
Don't really understand this. Sort of makes it sound that WiiU wasn't a target platform and it's taxing on PC and Mac, but managed to get it running smoothly on WiiU so might as well port it!! Doesn't look particularly tax.

It sounds pretty clear. They start the game on PC because that's just natural and easy for a small indie team and then they get Wii U kits and obviously have to figure out how the thing works which they now did.

its a good sign for Wii U eshop that they seem so please to have the game come over... with so much negativity about WiiWare in the past its good to see someone still has faith in Nintendo in that market space

chris3116

It does not matter who made the games, what does matter is that they were commissioned by someone at Nintendo. Nintendo must have some sort of overall plan and strategy of what they intend to release and when, and this plan must of necessity look several years into the future.

So, if it is an act of desperation for Nintendo to release 2 Mario games in quick succesion, when these games were planned Nintendo must have expected to now be in a desperate situation. I realise that the actual release dates are probably not set in stone until the games are nearing completion, but they would not both have been commissioned for one to be kept in cold strorage for a year or two, so from day one they must have been scheduled to be released fairly close together.

I don't see the release of 2 Marios as an act of desperation. The 3DS and the Wii U are 2 different platforms and they had success with both NSMB DS and NSMBWii so they continue this trend. They need momentum for the 3DS so they released the successor of the DS game to gain more money. The same thing is for NSMBU. Maybe the 3DS game was supposed to be released sooner or maybe later. Nintendo knew that they were going to make money on the 3DS very soon so bring a NSMB2 to make a boom and making money is not what I called desperation. It's called good business.

As for the NSMBU game, it's releasing on a launch of a new console. The last Mario being released at launch of a new console was Super Mario 64 on N64. They want to make an impact without losing money at launch. Again, it's not an act of desperation.

As for me, it's a coincidence to see 2 2D Mario being released at the same year.

Hero

I was also thinking this last night. Even if all they did was bump up all the models and the draw distances to "HD" I think it would sell more than enough copies to justify the work they put in and give the masses a taste of what an HD Zelda will look like.

I'd probably buy it.

radcliff

Was Nintendo in desperation mode when they release Mario 3 in 1988, Mario Land in 1989, Mario World in 1990, Mario Land 2 in 1992, Mario All-Stars in 1993, Mario Land 3 and Mario's Time Machine in 1994, Mario World 2: Yoshi’s Island in 1995, and Mario 64 in 1996?

HeySeuss

Was Nintendo in desperation mode when they release Mario 3 in 1988, Mario Land in 1989, Mario World in 1990, Mario Land 2 in 1992, Mario All-Stars in 1993, Mario Land 3 and Mario's Time Machine in 1994, Mario World 2: Yoshi’s Island in 1995, and Mario 64 in 1996?

Sega does what Nintendont.

Steph_E.

I don't see the release of 2 Marios as an act of desperation. The 3DS and the Wii U are 2 different platforms and they had success with both NSMB DS and NSMBWii so they continue this trend. They need momentum for the 3DS so they released the successor of the DS game to gain more money. The same thing is for NSMBU. Maybe the 3DS game was supposed to be released sooner or maybe later. Nintendo knew that they were going to make money on the 3DS very soon so bring a NSMB2 to make a boom and making money is not what I called desperation. It's called good business.

As for the NSMBU game, it's releasing on a launch of a new console. The last Mario being released at launch of a new console was Super Mario 64 on N64. They want to make an impact without losing money at launch. Again, it's not an act of desperation.

As for me, it's a coincidence to see 2 2D Mario being released at the same year.

I agree with both of you, it is not an act of desperation but merely the way it was planned 2 or 3 years ago. It was EatChildren who said it seemed an act of desperation, and I was arguing he was wrong.... - although my point seems to have come across wrong!

Stulaw

Nope, it's just giving consumers what they want, and if they weren't doing that the games wouldn't sell. And just because the vocal minority on the internet say it's a desperate act or that it's rehashing the same game, doesn't mean that it's true.

Edit: plus in this case it's on two entirely seperate systems, so I don't get the complaining. And btw I'm saying you're right to point those out.

Kacho

The thought of Crytek developing a first party title for Nintendo is the stuff of nightmares. I really hope that doesn't happen. : /

the new Wii U marketing thread was a great read. EC you turned things around man!

I need to go check out some Black Ops 2 trailers I think I am sold on this now

ozfunghi

so... a recap of the last few pages:

WiiU 7x as powerful as 360 and launching october 1st with Crisis as downloadable game...

ok!

Meelow

Banned
Sega announces PAX Prime line up.

http://blogs.sega.com/2012/08/09/sega-brings-nine-playable-games-to-pax-prime/

-Aliens: Colonial Marines
-The Cave
-Hell Yeah!
–Wrath of the Dead Rabbit
-Jet Set Radio
-NiGHTS into dreams…
-Phantasy Star Online 2
-Sonic Adventure 2 Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed
-Unannounced digital title (new IP)

We know Sega is working on a digital game for Wii U so I'm guessing that unknown game is the one.

And Nintendo confirmed that they will talk Wii U launch colors when they announce release date, price, and components that comes with Wii U.

https://twitter.com/RichIGN/status/233636422664466432

"When we announce the launch date, price and specific components to be included in the package, we will also discuss the color variations."

Sega announces PAX Prime line up.

-Aliens: Colonial Marines
-The Cave
-Hell Yeah!
–Wrath of the Dead Rabbit
-Jet Set Radio
-NiGHTS into dreams…
-Phantasy Star Online 2
-Sonic Adventure 2 Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed
-Unannounced digital title (new IP)

And Nintendo confirmed that they will talk Wii U launch colors when they announce release date, price, and components that comes with Wii U.

We know Sega is working on a digital game for Wii U so I'm guessing that unknown game is the one.

HD remake of NiGHTs?

Pranay

After talking with my friend who is working on a game for WII U. I am really hyped

He loved the controller, Specs may not be that great but still its using a modern architecture which is quite easy to develop but it WII U most likly will play most next gen with a degrade

Don't forget, Nintendo showed off Zombi U and NSMBU for the first time in a ND.

I don't know if that counts as showing off Zombi U. Weren't those zombie attacking screens nothing very much like the actual screenshots that Ubisoft showed off? They looked pretty terrible to me, frankly.

1080p and Off-TV Play support confirmed!

"Gamepad play is fully supported! No need for a TV, should you hate big screens ;)"

I don't suppose that anybody asked about how far away the player could go from the TV when playing the game on the pad.

They clearly don't want to make a new one. Apparently Capcom are perfectly happy with all RE's in the footsteps of 4 being a 'me too, just worse'.

Didn't RE5 sell much more than previous RE games? Publishers often do follow the sales
except for that whole, odd "Hey, serious shooters like Call of Duty, Red Steel and RE4 sold quite well on the Wii early on, so lets make primarily party games with goofy faces!" thing

I don't know if that counts as showing off Zombi U. Weren't those zombie attacking screens nothing very much like the actual screenshots that Ubisoft showed off? They looked pretty terrible to me, frankly.

It was also a special Direct accompanying E3, which really didn't show off these games, but rather threw in some random 5 second clips without any further commentary.
The biggest thing a ND showed off exclusively was the 3DS XL, apart from localization announcements. Not expecting anything major for WiiU in this months Direct.

It was also a special Direct accompanying E3, which really didn't show off these games, but rather threw in some random 5 second clips without any further commentary.
The biggest thing a ND showed off exclusively was the 3DS XL, apart from localization announcements. Not expecting anything major for WiiU in this months Direct.

Aye, if Nintendo announced "Nonspecific Action Game" at this year's TGS, then can you really say that the game was technically announced at the ND before E3?

Meelow

Banned
EA wants Origins on Nintendo

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/the-many-faces-of-ea-david-demartini-ea-origin/0100960

MCV: Do you want the likes of PlayStation, Nintendo and Xbox to open their platforms up so you can sell games for them?

DD: We absolutely want to be cross-platform and EA has significantly invested in covering mobile, social, PC, Xbox, Nintendo and Sony. We want to be a gaming hub because it’s not like you just want to compare with your friends on how you did in PC gaming. You might want to play Battlefield on 360, or Need for Speed on PS3, and compare achievements across all those platforms. Origin has never been intended to be a PC-only reflection of how you do in games, it’s been created to reflect how you are performing across EA’s entire gaming universe and our third party partners’ entire gaming universe and that’s what we’re going to move to this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom