• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Banned
I thought this thread was only moved to community for E3. Can't we make this an old WUST thread and put it back in the gaming forum and not community? This thread is dead and we are closer to launch.

Meelow

Banned
I thought this thread was only moved to community for E3. Can't we make this an old WUST thread and put it back in the gaming forum and not community? This thread is dead and we are closer to launch.

It's active when something new comes out, the last news we got was the Toki Tori 2 news...Which was like 6 hours ago lol, yeah that's not good.

Well, the Toki Tori news did spark the creation of two or three [rather shitty] threads on the gaming side :p

That's true.

I could swear it started with "Speculation" in the title but was changed by a mod when it became all about bitching. Something like "Wii U Information/Speculation Thread".

"Wii U Bitching Thread" has a nice ring to it

well I for one am severely against anything that allows Reggie (or the nintendo ninjas) to take control of the microphone in the gamepad and listen to our deepest darkest secrets..

I'm going to feel sorry for those kids this holiday season who get Wii U games for their wii.

"Mommy, why aren't the games playing?" asked little Nelson. The mother kneeled down next to her son and said, "Super Mario must hate you". And that little Child will grow up to be the Next Microsoft Gaming CEO.

well I for one am severely against anything that allows Reggie (or the nintendo ninjas) to take control of the microphone in the gamepad and listen to our deepest darkest secrets..

I'm going to feel sorry for those kids this holiday season who get Wii U games for their wii.

"Mommy, why aren't the games playing?" asked little Nelson. The mother kneeled down next to her son and said, "Super Mario must hate you". And that little Child will grow up to be the Next Microsoft Gaming CEO.

Lol. While i doubt that would be a huge problem, there will always be dumb people who do stuff like that. Always.

Roo

now that we know the Wii U's official cover template I find the Nintendo Network logo placement a little annoying. It looks way too intrusive on the game artwork and the Off TV Play logo won't make it any better =/

Hopefully they're aware about this.

r5CzE.jpg

Meelow

Banned
now that we know the Wii U's official cover template I find the Nintendo Network logo placement a little annoying. It looks way too intrusive on the game artwork and the Off TV Play logo won't make it any better =/

Hopefully they're aware about this.

r5CzE.jpg

Is that legit?.

jmizzal

WiiU pre ordering has to be coming before Sept, it wouldnt make much since to start posting advertises around stores if people have to wait a month to pre order.

A lot of cases people may not come back to the store and you will lose a lot of sales in those cases.

care to explain?

Look at all the attention it's gotten--all the controversy, all the discussion it's generated.

All because of a simple little bit of color. Haha!

At first, I didn't know what to make of it. My opinion shifted between thinking it was ugly, sort of liking it, and being indifferent. But now it is clear to me: I love it.

I guess he means it makes the cases very unique? No confusion when it comes to WiiU games.

Whoops... Yes! I forgot to include that reason. Those sure don't look like Wii games!

Roo

Look at all the attention it's gotten--all the controversy, all the discussion it's generated.

All because of a simple little bit of color. Haha!

At first, I didn't know what to make of it. My opinion shifted between thinking it was ugly, sort of liking it, and being indifferent. But now it is clear to me: I love it.

Whoops... Yes! I forgot to include that reason. Those sure don't look like Wii games!

I was in the same position.
I never thought it was ugly/disgusting but I wasn't thrilled either
Now I think it looks really cool and works from a product standpoint.

Now, what I really loved is the fact that Nintendo kept the white spine.
it will match my Wii collection. I couldn't be happier.

Damn xD.

But, nice fanmade. Wish that was the boxart xD. Did you made also the "Off-TV Play" logo?

Nope :p

Serious question...why aren't all the ports we've seen so far running natively at 1080p? I was expecting, well, hoping I guess that given it's more powerful and devs would utilize that power, that it would at least run AC3, Batman, ME3, etc at 1080p.

Is it because it's still a new system and devs are still getting used to the platform?

Serious question...why aren't all the ports we've seen so far running natively at 1080p? I was expecting, well, hoping I guess that given it's more powerful and devs would utilize that power, that it would at least run AC3, Batman, ME3, etc at 1080p.

Is it because it's still a new system and devs are still getting used to the platform?

Probably, they need some time with the hardware to take full advantage of it first. I think it's not a matter of discussion that a PS3 is more powerful than a 360, but ports still ran poorly on it initially, now most of them run on par or even better.

Meelow

Banned
Probably, they need some time with the hardware to take full advantage of it first. I think it's not a matter of discussion that a PS3 is more powerful than a 360, but ports still ran poorly on it initially, now most of them run on par or even better.

And Sony said all PS3 games where going to be 1080p at 120fps...That never happened lol.

AppleBlade

Yeah, that's part of it. They're also ports/multi-plats which don't usually take advantage of the hardware to it's best potential. Also, don't forget that these are launch titles. Compare these games to the launch 360 games and the difference is huge. Imagine what devs will be getting out of exclusive Wii titles in a couple of years (if anyone other then Nintendo is actually making AAA exclusive titles for the Wii in a few years).

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

New system, devs still getting used to it, mostly ports not meticulously optimised for the new hardware, and probably because the processing power would struggle a bit pushing these games to 1080p at 60fps.

Carmack figures rendering current generation games at 1080p native and 60fps would chew up almost all of the headroom gained from next generation consoles, and I suspect he was referring to Microsoft and/or Sony's offering. Give the Wii U is less powerful than those two you've got even less processing power to work with.

If we see any native 1080p 3D titles I expect them to be built for the hardware from the ground up by a tech savvy developer, and probably not overly complex in detail.

JordanN

Banned

No one knows besides it being a developer choice.

“As far as the resolution and framerates for any of the software goes, it’ll obviously depend on whatever the developer feels is the best way to get the best experience to the player. I can’t personally speak for third-parties and their circumstances, but at Nintendo we have different teams working on different games that take into consideration the resolution… and if they think that by focusing on 720p and a certain framerate to get a certain experience, than that’s ultimately how they make their decisions.”
http://www.gametrailers.com/side-mission/16976/e3-2012-one-on-one-with-nintendos-katsuya-eguchi

Devs are basically doing "lazy ports": they are taking the original code, compiling it to run on the Wii U , and then selling it for $60. Also, the hardware is still new, so they need a year or two to get used to it.

And Sony said all PS3 games where going to be 1080p at 120fps...That never happened lol.

Yeah, exclusive games seem to take the most advantage out of the hardware, hence why Uncharted 3/God of War 3 and Gears of War 3/Halo 4 look better than most multiplatform games on either platform. I don't expect multiplatform games to be improved on Wii U, until they actually have to try to make them run on Wii U when the next consoles arrive.

Meelow

Banned
Yeah, exclusive games seem to take the most advantage out of the hardware, hence why Uncharted 3/God of War 3 and Gears of War 3/Halo 4 look better than most multiplatform games on either platform. I don't expect multiplatform games to be improved on Wii U, until they actually have to try to make them run on Wii U when the next consoles arrive.

Pretty much, we will see the Wii U's true power when we see Nintendo's first party's and/or when the PS4 and Xbox 8 come out.

New system, devs still getting used to it, mostly ports not meticulously optimised for the new hardware, and probably because the processing power would struggle a bit pushing these games to 1080p at 60fps.

Carmack figures rendering current generation games at 1080p native and 60fps would chew up almost all of the headroom gained from next generation consoles, and I suspect he was referring to Microsoft and/or Sony's offering. Give the Wii U is less powerful than those two you've got even less processing power to work with.

If we see any native 1080p 3D titles I expect them to be built for the hardware from the ground up by a tech savvy developer, and probably not overly complex in detail.

Key part bolded, and I would add minimal rendering to the Gamepad.

Pretty much, we will see the Wii U's true power when we see Nintendo's first party's and/or when the PS4 and Xbox 8 come out.

It always keeps coming back to that doesn't it? The Wii U is going to be a Third Party port machine for a good portion of the games besides Nintendo. It's good that the support will be there but bad that most games will not be made from the ground up for the system.

Meelow

Banned
It always keeps coming back to that doesn't it? The Wii U is going to be a Third Party port machine for a good portion of the games besides Nintendo. It's good that the support will be there but bad that most games will not be made from the ground up for the system.

I used to think about that but truthfully, I rather have the third party support than nothing at all so I'm perfectly fine if they make it on the Xbox 8 and port it over to the Wii U and PS4.

I remember before E3 when it moved to community I was highly against it and thought it was dumb. Now Im pretty cool with it. No trolls or "jokes" in this thread. As launch gets closer trolls just get more prepared, It was like when E3 hit every N-conference thread had ridiculous amount of them and nothing really being done. Im content with it here. This thread will pick up though when we get more news.

Well if third parties actually plan to release games on all three consoles (Wii U, Xbox 8, PS4), they will have to make the game first on the weakest one, which is probably going to be the Wii U, so all of them can run on par.

Going back on topic (you know, the whole "GFLOPS debate, or what not) Here is what I have concluded that the Wii U will have inside (through careful research and reasoning):

A tri-core PowerPC A2 variant @ 3.0GHz with an 8MB L3 cache (PowerPC uses WAY less power than POWER7 while still pumping out impressive numbers. When IMB said to Engadget that Wii U would use "the same technology as Watson", I concluded taht IBM threw an L3 cache onto a PowerPC A2) with 72 GFLOPS DP (double precision)

A Radeon HD 6750/7750 based hybrid (low TDP, high-ish performance) @800MHz with 32MB of eDRAM as a framebuffer and 800-900 GFLOPS.

1.5GB of fast RAM for the system RAM and 512MB of slower RAM for the OS.

A dedicated sound processor @ 120-150MHz.

And all with a power requirement of about 100 watts.

Sound reasonable enough?

Going back on topic (you know, the whole "GFLOPS debate, or what not) Here is what I have concluded that the Wii U will have inside (through careful research and reasoning):

A tri-core PowerPC A2 variant @ 3.0GHz with an 8MB L3 cache (PowerPC uses WAY less power than POWER7 while still pumping out impressive numbers. When IMB said to Engadget that Wii U would use "the same technology as Watson", I concluded taht IBM threw an L3 cache onto a PowerPC A2) with 72 GFLOPS DP (double precision)

A Radeon HD 6750/7750 based hybrid (low TDP, high-ish performance) @800MHz with 32MB of eDRAM as a framebuffer and 800-900 GFLOPS.

Sound reasonable enough?

No.

Sound reasonable enough?

Nahhh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom