• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
If only they knew more about the online and technical capabilities of Wii U, but I expect not many people know much about Nintendo Network.

It appears to be easy to work with Nintendo and Wii U, so that's good.

D-e-f-

Banned
I don't suppose that anybody asked about how far away the player could go from the TV when playing the game on the pad.

I highly doubt that they'd be allowed to disclose that (besides, I expect the dev units to be wired still) as that is a hardware spec... which are NDA'd.

EA wants Origin on your toaster.

That's hardly news.

They're not too sure about the range.

oqlAw.jpg

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Sega announces PAX Prime line up.

-Aliens: Colonial Marines
-Sonic Adventure 2 Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed
-Unannounced digital title (new IP)

I would really like to see Wii U footage for Alien and Sega All star racing. Interested in finding out which could be the digital title for the Wii U

It would be also interesting, not at pax probably, to know/discover if Sega has something else planned for the Wii U (Sonic is very possible)

"12 different accounts in Miiverse", "every Nintendo game will be available @ eShop", and talk on games and mistakes on communicating Wii U concept - interview with Nintendo Spain brand manager, but in English (sort of :p):

http://www.gamereactor.es/noticias/28671/12+cuentas+de+usuario+en+Wii+U/
(video)

That was just after trying the 3DS XL for the first time.

I really hope they bring the whole Miiverse - accounts stuff to the 3DS. And Project P-100 :-0_______
Anybody else see the video when talking about accounts the Spain Nintendo brand manager also said everybody has their own achievements. I know I wasnt the only one.

JoeInky

we also kinda already know that there again will at least be in-game achievements (like that NSMBU Miiverse stuff)

2226116-wii_u_mario_chat.png

Who knows if they're actual achievements or just general "x beat this level under x seconds!" or "x beat this level without dying!" that appear on every level though?

I see them as the latter personally, I somehow doubt there's a "Beat world 1-castle in under 100 seconds" achievement.

Who knows if they're actual achievements or just general "x beat this level under x seconds!" or "x beat this level without dying!" that appear on every level though?

I see them as the latter personally, I somehow doubt there's a "Beat world 1-castle in under 100 seconds" achievement.
What would make them actual Achievements?

They might not be called Achievements, but they are referred to as special conditions or Super Plays you can fulfill. They are used with MiiVerse, so I think it's safe to say that they will be similar or equivalent to Achievements.

D-e-f-

Banned

though that might be exactly the way Nintendo thinks of their version of achievements: tailored to every game individually and not bound by some system-wide ruleset

all they really need to do is make whatever they turn out to be tied to your account and viewable on the web and on your friend list. I think that's the main thing people miss when not having achievements - something to show their friends "hey, I did this thing and got an icon to show for it!" third parties could then add their regular multiplatform achievements as they are and Nintendo would only do them for a few games where they feel they add something to make the internet go crazy every time a game does not have them but ultimately things would be okay.

Didn't CryTek confirm CryEngine 3 runs on Wii U? Cause I just saw the demo of the new engine.

Yes.

Crytek CEO Cevat Yerli said:
It doesn't mean that CryEngine 3 doesn't run on Wii U - it actually runs beautifully. In fact, there actually is a game in development from a respected developer that we will be announcing. I've seen the game running and it looks really great.

japtor

From the TT Q&A someone asked whether there's full specs or not and they replied:
@crackkat good question. Since it's early days, you sometimes have to figure things out yourself. Not everything is documented yet.
Someone else asked something about surround support and they didn't know that either.
neat idea. But again, if it hasnt happened yet on the app store I dont think it will with the Wii U. You know they really should make something like this for iphonepads..
iOS devices don't have an IR transmitter (while the Wii U gamepad does), which is the main issue. I remember some headphone based thing back for the old old iPods, but all I know of for iOS is some expensive ass box, I think by Griffin.
Sega does what Nintendont.
Nearly go out of business?

JoeInky

all they really need to do is make whatever they turn out to be tied to your account and viewable on the web and on your friend list. .

This is the difference, to me. That popup doesn't look like it will be something that's recorded and will be viewable anywhere that's not on that map screen.

Now, the other side to this is the fact that the image is showing someone else achieving that goal, so maybe when you yourself achieve something then a popup like we've come to expect may occur.

It's too early to tell really, but that little bubble just doesn't say "achievement that gets recorded on your account" to me, looks more like one of those "I did it!" messages you see in dark souls after a particularly hard part.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
This is the difference, to me. That popup doesn't look like it will be something that's recorded and will be viewable anywhere that's not on that map screen.

On the contrary, the development team was the same one that developed the StreetPass Quest achievements which are viewable on a list. That list is tied to Miiverse which basically gives it a more uniform platform. How far they go beyond that is still in question. But right now we can assume that at the least, Miiverse games will have achievements and their will likely be some type of list for the gamer to see. Question is will your friends be able to see this list and compare their stats to yours.

Nintendo admits that their development staff was initially deadlocked on the achievement system, with some developers wanting it and others not wanting it. I literally believe it was a case of new versus old, all the young designers wanted it, Miyamoto and others were not thrilled about it. But I think business and the younger devs won the battle. Most likely still stiffled by Miyamoto/Tezuka at some point. But we shall see.

Now, the other side to this is the fact that the image is showing someone else achieving that goal, so maybe when you yourself achieve something then a popup like we've come to expect may occur.

It's too early to tell really, but that little bubble just doesn't say "achievement that gets recorded on your account" to me, looks more like one of those "I did it!" messages you see in dark souls after a particularly hard part.

Do you consider Xenoblade Achievements to be true Achievements?

JoeInky

Personally, I don't give a fuck about achievements, never have. But I assume most people wouldn't because you can't compare them with your friends and they aren't tied to your account. Those seem to be the two things people care most about with achievements, that and the pointless gamerscore stuff.

Awesome!

Next gen Toad!

I don't know if it'll look that good, but it's still a very positive sign.

Personally, I don't give a fuck about achievements, never have. But I assume most people wouldn't because you can't compare them with your friends and they aren't tied to your account. Those seem to be the two things people care most about with achievements, that and the pointless gamerscore stuff.

That's what I was wondering, thank you. Achievements only count when you can share them with your friends, I suppose.

Yea that picture could go anyway. If thats all that is I wouldnt count those as achievements really.

Glass Joe

I know you're not asking me specifically, but NO, absolutely not. Same thing with that Street Pass "accomplishments" stuff they do with 3DS. It's not meaningful unless you can access them WITHOUT booting up the game. And if you can see your friends' progress while snooping around, as well.

Xenoblade, although I enjoyed my time with it, the "achievements" felt pretty much like random bullet-points to extend the game. I think they gave in-game rewards like extra experience, or something like that, so they weren't totally useless. But as a general concept, they still were.

Even a launch Wii game like Excite Truck had in-game achievements. Again, cool, but why try for them if you get no bragging rights by showing them off, since you can't show them off. A random gamer score isn't as important as looking at your buddy and being able to deduce that he's pretty damn good at Excite Truck. Not that gamer score is an inherently bad thing. But nothing at all, outside of the game, is pretty lame.

Others may consider it all to be not important or shallow, just like those people may view high scores as unimportant and shallow. For others, it creates drive to finish the task. Nintendo's Donkey Kong is still played for high scores to this day, for example. The foundation of early video games was trying to out-do one another, creating a competitive setting.

But Xenoblade's several (and I think it's close to 100?) in game achievements, no I'd have no desire to try to do them all, regardless of the in-game kudos. If each game had some focused ones though, around 10 or so, it might prompt me to do whatever that game is asking me to do. Beat Super Mario 1 without Warping? Challenge accepted. But, so far, challenge not given... Beat Double Dragon II NES without the stage select? I might try to power through it. There's a lot of unused potential there, both in the e-shop and retail releases.

Even being able to grab a screen shot of an ending screen for title would be something, even if only for a reminder that the game was in fact completed.

Just a quickly question: Is Assassin's Creed 3 1080p on the Wii U? If so, native or not?

No. There's only a rumour from a kid on I think Gamespot forum who said a Nintendo rep told him it was. So random guy on internet says other random guy on internet told him so.

There are no reliable rumours or official quotes about this so, no, forget about it until you do.

Tenki

No. There's only a rumour from a kid on I think Gamespot forum who said a Nintendo rep told him it was. So random guy on internet says other random guy on internet told him so.

There are no reliable rumours or official quotes about this so, no, forget about it until you do.

Oh, ok. Good to know. Thanks!

DrNeroCF

I know you're not asking me specifically, but NO, absolutely not. Same thing with that Street Pass "accomplishments" stuff they do with 3DS. It's not meaningful unless you can access them WITHOUT booting up the game. And if you can see your friends' progress while snooping around, as well.

Xenoblade, although I enjoyed my time with it, the "achievements" felt pretty much like random bullet-points to extend the game. I think they gave in-game rewards like extra experience, or something like that, so they weren't totally useless. But as a general concept, they still were.

Even a launch Wii game like Excite Truck had in-game achievements. Again, cool, but why try for them if you get no bragging rights by showing them off, since you can't show them off. A random gamer score isn't as important as looking at your buddy and being able to deduce that he's pretty damn good at Excite Truck. Not that gamer score is an inherently bad thing. But nothing at all, outside of the game, is pretty lame.

Others may consider it all to be not important or shallow, just like those people may view high scores as unimportant and shallow. For others, it creates drive to finish the task. Nintendo's Donkey Kong is still played for high scores to this day, for example. The foundation of early video games was trying to out-do one another, creating a competitive setting.

But Xenoblade's several (and I think it's close to 100?) in game achievements, no I'd have no desire to try to do them all, regardless of the in-game kudos. If each game had some focused ones though, around 10 or so, it might prompt me to do whatever that game is asking me to do. Beat Super Mario 1 without Warping? Challenge accepted. But, so far, challenge not given... Beat Double Dragon II NES without the stage select? I might try to power through it. There's a lot of unused potential there, both in the e-shop and retail releases.

Even being able to grab a screen shot of an ending screen for title would be something, even if only for a reminder that the game was in fact completed.

Achievements are purposeful because they're tied to a pointless number, other people can see them, and you don't need to be in the game, Xenoblade achievements aren't because they have in-game benefits?

I... I don't know what to say...

JoeInky

Beat Super Mario 1 without Warping? Challenge accepted. But, so far, challenge not given...

Ok, reading this actually gives me an idea of something that could expand an achievement system whilst still being very different to what we have now - challenges.

What if users could define an achievement and then send it out to their friends via the miiverse?

Taking NSMB for example, what if it let you define certain conditions like "Complete X within X using X" so you could eventually get something like "Complete 1-5 within 100 seconds using no powerups", then you could send that out to individual friends or send it to groups of friends to see who could complete it the quickest.

But then you'd have to get into whether the miiverse would have to support the feature for every single game, whether it has to be smart enough to check that the achievement has been completed and so on. So it would actually be pretty hard to implement at an OS-level instead of a per-game basis, but then you have the problem of devs not bothering to do such a thing if it isn't an OS feature.

But then again, maybe this is something that will naturally emerge thanks to the Miiverse and the ability built into the OS that lets you take screen shots and post them.

Pretty interesting stuff to think about, atleast, I think it is anyway

Jarsonot

Achievements are bragging rights, able to show off. Like a high score.

Xenoblade achievements are more like another side quest meta game. Something else to do in the game to get more experience.

In my opinion.

You know, I never check my or anyone else's trophies on ps3... I doubt I will on Wii U either...Honestly, unless there's an in-game perk I don't bother.

They're not too sure about the range.

I'm still happy that somebody asks. At least it indirectly confirms that they have the same devkits as those we last saw, with the wired gamepad inputs.

You know, I never check my or anyone else's trophies on ps3... I doubt I will on Wii U either...Honestly, unless there's an in-game perk I don't bother.

That's why this sort of thing has to actually have a palpable benefit, such as with cross-game unlocks.

Seriously, it'd be the greatest thing since the invention of z-targeting.

Glass Joe

Achievements are purposeful because they're tied to a pointless number, other people can see them, and you don't need to be in the game, Xenoblade achievements aren't because they have in-game benefits?

I... I don't know what to say...

Since you read my message I appreciate your point of view.

So, with Xenoblade's many many achievements, if tied to some system wide point system, no... I still wouldn't care. It's way too broad there. Excite Truck? If I had a silver medal in one circuit compared to gold in all the others and I could easily see my progress without booting up the game... And I could see my friends' medals and times, etc? That may be enough of an incentive for me to peruse it.

A friendly reminder of where I'm at and what the game wants me to do, publicly, to 100% it, I think is pretty cool (within reason). Sorry you don't know what to say, achievements (when done right) do appeal to my competitive side.

I don't quite understand this reasoning. Xenoblade Achievements and say, Call of Duty Achievements are very similar in content, but Xenoblade Achievements are meaningless because a person can't flash them around and brag about it?

I recall reading a thread on the importance of Achievements, and I read a lot of replies stating that it gives you incentive to play the game in other ways or that it lengthens the game for some. However, the way it's being presented to me now, it seems that people only care about Achievements if they can wear it like a badge for random people to see. I'm not saying that it's bad (I wouldn't mind checking out my friends' times in something like Mario Kart), but I'm not sure why you can't call Xenoblade Achievements or even StreetPass Accomplishments "true" Achievements.

DrNeroCF

Since you read my message I appreciate your point of view.

So, with Xenoblade's many many achievements, if tied to some system wide point system, no... I still wouldn't care. It's way too broad there. Excite Truck? If I had a silver medal in one circuit compared to gold in all the others and I could easily see my progress without booting up the game... And I could see my friends' medals and times, etc? That may be enough of an incentive for me to peruse it.

A friendly reminder of where I'm at and what the game wants me to do, publicly, to 100% it, I think is pretty cool (within reason). Sorry you don't know what to say, achievements (when done right) do appeal to my competitive side.

Ah, yeah, I can see what you mean there, something like that does seem to fit better simply within one game, since it's not as easy to compare across games. Personally, I prefer the Xenoblade method better, I really couldn't care less how my gaming looks to the rest of the world, but I do enjoy being rewarded with numbers that actually matter within the game.

I think that having a system wide way of comparing high scores within games is way more meaningful than trophies, though, as far as competition goes. Maybe I just prefer to play one game at a time, instead of thinking of all my gaming as one large meta-game.

At this point, though, I think that it's a given that we'll be able to pick up the GamePad without turning the TV on, and checking on our friends through there, without entering a game. The more info we can get from there, of course, the better.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Truthfully, Xbox Live achievements aren't much better than custom achievement systems confined to specific games. Sure, you can share them, but it doesn't seem to mean that much. Leaderboards are more important than achievements there.

Playstation trophies, funny enough, seem more desirable to me because rather than have an arbitrary point value associated with each trophy, they make more sense: bronze, silver, gold trophies, with a platinum for mastering a game. When glancing at another player's stats, you know instantly which trophies were considered easy (bronze), medium (silver) or hard (gold) by the game designers. And having a platinum for each mastered game seems to mean something.

My wish for Wii U's achievement system is for the accomplishments to hook into the system in a way more like trophies than like XBL achievements.

RAWi

I like "Achievements" but not the "Xbox 360" and "PS3" achievements.

Nintendo Achievements should be achievements made by the developers that will give you some-kind of reward.

For example: Super Smash Bros. Brawl - when you unlock one of the achievements or challenges from the board, a trophy is revelead as an award, and not only that, if you continue you can reveal stages, music, stickers (which can be used for the adventure mode), etc. Heck, even hidden characters are part of the achievements (If you play "x" quantity of times a mode you will get "this" character").

Also Kirby games make usage of the system, by letting you have more colors for Kirby by collecting certain items (which are not necessary for the game, but you can get them if you want).

I love this kind of achievements. Doing something that will reward me with something that I can see or use on my games. Not some sort of trophy. I respect te people who like to do achievements, just for the satisfaction of doing them (I have a friend that loves to do them), but well it is just my opinion haha.

Edit: Also would be awesome to have a system, in which other players could post fan-made achievements (Like the ones in the New Super Mario Bros. U screenshots).

So they are showing off Blops 2 MP at Gamescom, could this finally be the time to confirm it for Wii U or will Nintendo hold it back for a ND to show off the Wii U's online mode ?.

They need to announce it soon imo, Call of Duty is one of, if not the most pre ordered game in the industry.

JordanN

Banned
Actually looks okay, although no shadow for the guy with the baseball bat looks a bit odd.

I guess mini-game collections were inevitable, but can't slag it off until we see the reviews I suppose lol.
I saw that too. Made me wonder if the game is still in WIP since there are shadows for the rest of the scene.

Or it could be just laziness.

I saw that too. Made me wonder if the game is still in WIP since there are shadows for the rest of the scene.

Or it could be just laziness.
The other shadows are surely pre-baked, it's very different than stencil shadows/real-time shadow maps being at place (which, for a dynamic model with animation has to be the case)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom