• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
That would be epic, I saw a video on youtube and it was made by someone in the gaming industry and it was a dark gritty Mario and it was very sad about what happened in the video, a dark and twisted Mario game is awesome and Nintendo did it for Zelda they can do it for Mario.

Here it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xwQkZV6IpM

Warning the video is sad and dark.

I've seen this like a thousand times, and no...Just no. I would never want a Mario even remotely like that in subject-matter, tone, or even artstyle.

Luigi's Mansion is about as 'dark' as I want my Mario games.

Ehhhhhhhhhhh not really, most just hate Nintendo dropped out of the Graphics race and are now focusing more on non-traditional method of playing games.

Except that it isn't non-traditional.

Tradition has been coming out with a rather dramatically different controller each generation. Tradition has been generally designing a game around a relatively simple series of game mechanics (as opposed to the growing "kitchen sink" method of gaming, where every button and every stick and every possible thing MUST be made to do something at all times). Tradition has been making titles that people can in general pick up and play, at least at the start of a game. Tradition has NOT been making cinematic games or striving for photo-realism in graphics. Tradition has NOT been packing consoles so full of tech that they end up priced at ~$300 and higher.

Nintendo has been sticking to classic tradition while Microsoft and Sony have veered off. This is why I fume when people talk about "traditional" things. All the stuff you've seen over the past two generations have been massive shifts away from what the industry had been doing.

Granted, I'm not saying that Nintendo's particular strategy has been better or worse. I am saying that the word "tradition" has been criminally misused. And if I hadn't gone on an 18 mile hike today, I'd be tense with rage now instead of… weak with mild disappointment. :p

Banned
Don't follow this thread too closely. I was wondering were the latest speculation puts the WiiU in terms of CPU/GPU/RAM? Thanks.

CPU is a tri-core OoO (Out of Order execution) CPU with 2 threads per core. It's rumored to be clocked low due to heat concerns. Around 2.0Ghz

GPU is rumored to be around 500-700 (about 2-3x better than the 360) GFlops and based around a 6770M video card. It's a GPGPU (a general processing GPU that handles more calculations than just graphics. It's a beefy GPU that takes work away from the CPU)

Total RAM is rumored to be 2GB with some reserved for the OS.

EDIT: I made a mistake. I meant to say 6770M. But I wrote 6670M. And, the latest rumors are actually e6760

Ryoku

CPU is a tri-core OoO (Out of Order execution) CPU with 2 threads per core. It's rumored to be clocked low due to heat concerns. Around 2.0Ghz

GPU is rumored to be around 500-700 (about 2-3x better than the 360) GFlops and based around a 6670M video card. It's a GPGPU (a general processing GPU that handles more calculations than just graphics. It's a beefy GPU that takes work away from the CPU)

I thought the consensus was that it might be a modified e6760.

jerd

I've been wondering something for a while regarding the UPad and the pro controller: How much do you guys think they will cost?

$40 for the pro, and a cool $99.99 for the pad. What do you guys think about 3rd party pads? Or a future 720p pad? Are these possibilities?

Edit: Or I suppose Nintendo could release an enhanced pad without alienating any users. Same functionality, just a better screen,

Roo

I've been wondering something for a while regarding the UPad and the pro controller: How much do you guys think they will cost?

idk about the Gamepad, but I'm sure the CCPro will be around the same price as the Dual Shock/ Xbox Wireless Controller

golcarfel

Neo Member
$40 for the pro, and a cool $99.99 for the pad. What do you guys think about 3rd party pads? Or a future 720p pad? Are these possibilities?

Edit: Or I suppose Nintendo could release an enhanced pad without alienating any users. Same functionality, just a better screen,

I don't think that a 720p screen might be required. From what I've read, the UPad screen doesn't look much different than the HD tv's where the games are played on. However, I haven't seen it myself so I can't give my personal opinion.

golcarfel

Neo Member
Do we even have confirmation they'll be sold separately yet?

No, no confirmation that I know off. But I'm assuming that they will be sold separately because they will support 2 Upad game play. And also, in case someone breaks their UPad, they'll need to buy a replacement.

Edit: Nice avatar btw :D

Anth0ny

No, no confirmation that I know off. But I'm assuming that they will be sold separately because they will support 2 Upad game play. And also, in case someone breaks their UPad, they'll need to buy a replacement.

Edit: Nice avatar btw :D

True. I'm thinking $100 a pop, $80 at the lowest. It'll probably be easy to trick the consumer into thinking the gamepad is a tablet. $100 for a tablet is a steal!
I would know, I got an HP touchpad for $100 :)

also, yay sheik =D

Anyone believing you need hd on 6.2" is insane. But hey we have guys on neogaf who see the inferiority of the gamepad screen already in offscreen videos, even though every handson preview is extremely positive! But according to GAF logic, Its Nintendo so it automatically SUCKS!!

480p on 6.2" will look great.

Shokio

Neo Member
Don't know if this had been said before, but I noticed that for the GPU on the official Nintendo website, it says "AMD Radeon HD" series. This pretty much supports the 6770 consensus, seeing as the "AMD" series includes only the 6xxxx and 7xxx series, and "ATI" are the series before those.

Disregard this if it's already been said lol.

Van Owen

Banned
Don't know if this had been said before, but I noticed that for the GPU on the official Nintendo website, it says "AMD Radeon HD" series. This pretty much supports the 6770 consensus, seeing as the "AMD" series includes only the 6xxxx and 7xxx series, and "ATI" are the series before those.

Disregard this if it's already been said lol.

Or it's just because ATI doesn't exist anymore.

AzaK

The Wii U will be a solid 3-4x more powerful than 360/PS3. It's modest but not as huge of an amount like the rumored specs of the Xbox 3/PS4.

I think of it like this:

Wii U is infinitely more powerful than the 360/PS3 for the simple fact that those latter two consoles can't run Zelda and Metroid.

golcarfel

Neo Member
True. I'm thinking $100 a pop, $80 at the lowest. It'll probably be easy to trick the consumer into thinking the gamepad is a tablet. $100 for a tablet is a steal!
I would know, I got an HP touchpad for $100 :)

also, yay sheik =D Agree, Sheik is Awesome :D

Lucky. I wanted to buy the HP TouchPad when they dropped the price but I wasn't able to find it anywhere :( but I'm happy with my Asus Prime so I can't complain :)

And on the UPad subject, I think $80 would be a reasonable price to charge for it. I think that a $99 price point might be a turn off for consumers.
I just hope customers don't go buying the controller without having the Wii U thinking it's a stand alone tablet cause that would suck lol

MDX

But isn't that making the same mistake they made with the 3DS, and precisely the same mistake Iwata himself didn't want to make again?

Biggest mistake Nintendo made with the 3DS was not sustaining sales momentum with key titles starting at launch. WiiU does not have that problem with Mario at launch. And, they plan to show what's coming in 2013. If their 2013 games are impressive enough, they can get many fans to bite the bullet.

The portable situation is a bit different than with consoles. There are many consoles that have launched above 299. And I see people here stating that the gamepad alone probably will retail close to or at 100. Thats like bundling WiiFit with the Wii, you had people (mainstream market) buying that whole system for about 340. So, if people see the gamepad as a valuable piece of technology, Nintendo can get away with it.

One more thing, pricing the WiiU too close to the PS3 and 360, might give the impression that the WiiU is no better than last gen. And I still see PS3's being sold for 299. Is Sony or MS planning on reducing their prices any time soon? Is Nintendo trying to attract the core gamer?

So either the WiiU is a powerful piece of tech, with innovative control technology or its not.
For godssakes the Kindle DX will set you back 379.

You haven´t been around in the gamecube days i suppose?

Don't mind him, he suffers with 24 hour Gaf memory which blights so many here.

No need for 720p on the uPad as the stream from the console will only ever be 480, and most reports from people who've used it say it's really sharp and looks HD already!

Don't mind him, he suffers with 24 hour Gaf memory which blights so many here.

No need for 720p on the uPad as the stream from the console will only ever be 480, and most reports from people who've used it say it's really sharp and looks HD already!

That resolution is very good for 6.2" no matter what GAF tries to tell you/us

That resolution is very good for 6.2" no matter what GAF tries to tell you/us

Gaf told me to wear womens clothes and drink half pints of lager shandy with a slimline tonic. Farting feels so much more sensual in a thong. Damn you NeoGaf and all those people in the Megarrrr Gwaffix Appreciation thread who recommended this lifestyle to me!!!

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
please guys, try to stop the understandable complaint about haters.
go on with the discussion.
if someone doesn't like the Wii U, no problem (or his problem): if we are interested in it, don't let them ruin the discussion talking about them, but go ahead talking about the Wii U itlself

D-e-f-

Banned
if someone doesn't like the Wii U, no problem (or his problem): if we are interested in it, don't let them ruin the discussion talking about them, but go ahead talking about the Wii U itlself

good point.

but we also need a place to vent. someone should make a thread for everyone to just let loose and randomly shout out all the things that piss them off in other threads without fear of getting banned or something :) (no quoting or interaction allowed).

good point.

but we also need a place to vent. someone should make a thread for everyone to just let loose and randomly shout out all the things that piss them off in other threads without fear of getting banned or something :) (no quoting or interaction allowed).

You can rent a padded cell for £10/hour. They're great.

WiiU is still 1.89 ÷ ¥16.000 + ¼♂ less powerful than my farts after a mutton vindaloo with poppadoms and garlic naan.

jerd

As we speak
about farts
I'm booting up Darksiders for the first time to see if Darksiders 2 can be added to my Wii U wishlist. Wish me luck.

JordanN

Banned
Some food for thought.

P-100 + compute shader = pixel perfect shadows?

L137V.jpg

pGxzx.png

It's the one thing that stands out to me.

Current gen seems to be lacking in this regard. Shadows are either rendered with aliasing or are simple polygon cut-outs with no soft shadowing.
SRJ8l.png

pK5d8.png

watershed

Banned
So Nintendo added a wii u page to the 3ds eshop, I guess last week. I just discovered this and I'm watching a bunch of trailers from e3. Its getting me hyped, these games look really good on the 3ds' small screen or something but whatever it is I'm getting hyped!

My farts often result in some great pebbleation effects from the inbuilt pebbledash unit. Other toilet users frequently report DoF like vision if closely followed in the bathroom; I use a baking process for this.

mimho

Giusto....... ehm.... seems right to me..... :)

So, about the "off-screen" play, what about this..... already have a Wii (or a PS3 or a 360), and two little nephews, often saying: "It's my turn to play", starting a "fight". But with the WiiU it's possible to play Mario Kart Wii with one of the nephews (or Little Big Planet, or some Kinect stuff, depends on what other console you have) while the other nephew play Rayman on the WiiU gamepad, all toghether in the same room, having fun. (Maybe even a way to promote the "Wiiu - The peacemaker")

As we speak
about farts
I'm booting up Darksiders for the first time to see if Darksiders 2 can be added to my Wii U wishlist. Wish me luck.

Very good game, the best part, for me, was the "Zelda like" dungeons. And the second seems to be even better.

PS My very first post, after having lose the HypeTrainE3_2012, waiting for approval, but now i'm here. Sorry if my english "not so good", but i'm from the land where the lemon blossom, so i beg your pardon for my grammatical mistakes.

MDX

Some food for thought.

P-100 + compute shader = pixel perfect shadows?

Salivating at seeing more levels of this game.
If these guys are truly making use of WiiU's architecture,
I expect more graphical enhancements by the time they launch.

MDX

GPU is rumored to be around 500-700 (about 2-3x better than the 360) GFlops and based around a 6770M video card. It's a GPGPU (a general processing GPU that handles more calculations than just graphics. It's a beefy GPU that takes work away from the CPU)

EDIT: I made a mistake. I meant to say 6770M. But I wrote 6670M. And, the latest rumors are actually e6760

Im wondering, would people rather have the WiiU based on the 6770 or the e6760?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom