• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I personally dont think Nintendo will go higher than 350,
But if Ninty sees alot of people are pre-ordering it at 399-499
Who knows what they will decide.

But isn't that making the same mistake they made with the 3DS, and precisely the same mistake Iwata himself didn't want to make again?

Meelow

Banned
Yes I was talking about gameplay footage/controller functionality like would we be able to play it with the gamepad with motion control?

I hope so too, they will probably use the Gamepad but I hope we can use the Wiimote because in Mario Kart Wii I liked using the Wiimote more than the classic controller/GameCube controller.

Pretty good article from Wii U Dailey.

http://wiiudaily.com/2012/08/wii-u-specs-and-performance/

"There has been a heated debate back and forth regarding the Wii U’s performance. Is it more powerful than current gen consoles? How powerful? Nintendo never gets into those kinds of discussions, opting instead to point out the unique features of the Wii U. But in today’s gaming world, pretty graphics and high performance sells. To a point. Which begs the questions: 1) does it matter how powerful the Wii U is, and 2) how powerful is it? The short answers to those questions are, 1) Yes, it does matter how powerful the Wii U is, and 2) It’s powerful enough.
While Nintendo will never tout the performance of its consoles, it’s clear that the company is taking HD graphics seriously this time around. Back in 2006 with the Wii, Nintendo bet that HD wasn’t a big deal. And they were right. But that was six years ago. Today, HD is mainstream. Despite Nintendo’s main focus on the GamePad controller, they know that the Wii U not only has to be able to push 1080p resolution, but deliver decent image quality as well. It simply has to do this if it’s going to appeal to a mainstream audience, because today, mainstream has gone HD. In fact, they did several years ago. And it appears that Nintendo has in fact delivered a powerful console: the current (rumored) Wii U specs include a 3GHz tri-core CPU, 1.5 GB of RAM, and a speedy GPU from AMD. This makes the Wii U about 2X more powerful than the Xbox 360, meaning there’s plenty of performance to drive HD graphics to satisfy today’s gamers and casual fans. And that’s important for Nintendo — back in 2006, HDTV’s were just taking off, but now, the vast majority of television sets are HDTVs.
Another major reason for Nintendo to create a console with modern specs is third party support. Because of its specs and HD capabilities, third party publishers are now bringing some of their major franchises to a Nintendo console because for the first time, it’s technically feasible. Games like Assassin’s Creed 3, Batman Arkham City and Mass Effect 3 are all coming to the Wii U. And some of them come with improved visuals over their Xbox 360 and PS3 counterparts. Not to mention full tablet controller support.
For a console not to offer HD resolution today would be the same as if a console in year 2000 couldn’t do 3D visualsWhile us Nintendo fans tend to favor innovation over prettier graphics — and that’s how it should be — it’s important to recognize that graphics and visual advances in video games do matter. If they didn’t matter at all, we’d still be playing black and white 8-bit games on tiny screens. For a console not to offer HD resolution today would be the same as if a console in year 2000 couldn’t do 3D visuals, or a console in 1995 didn’t offer colors and was only in black and white. But it’s easy to get lost in the war of graphics and specs, and Nintendo knows this. They’ve made the Wii U just powerful enough to display decent graphics, but not powerful enough where it competes solely on performance. That’s not where the Wii U’s strengths lie. The strength of the Wii U is in its innovation, mainly, its controller.
Nintendo didn’t compete on graphics last time because they didn’t have to: they had a much more innovative product. And they don’t have to compete on graphics this time either — the Wii U offers a new approach to gaming that other console makers have already tried to copy. But that doesn’t mean the company is stuck in 2006. They have to keep up with the times as everyone else. The Wii U is powerful just enough to support full HD graphics and satisfy third parties. After that, it’s all about the unique features of the console: the Wii U GamePad."

Yes I agree. Thoughts? And keep in mind this is an opinion of some guy in wii u daily.
---
My defense against the evils of the internet. Flame shield, Bridge, Flame throwers(for trolls). and with these i am safe on the message boards
BSerenity
Posted 8/11/2012 8:19:54 PM
message detail

"There has been a heated debate back and forth regarding the Wii U’s performance. Is it more powerful than current gen consoles? How powerful? Nintendo never gets into those kinds of discussions, opting instead to point out the unique features of the Wii U. But in today’s gaming world, pretty graphics and high performance sells. To a point. Which begs the questions: 1) does it matter how powerful the Wii U is, and 2) how powerful is it? The short answers to those questions are, 1) Yes, it does matter how powerful the Wii U is, and 2) It’s powerful enough.

While Nintendo will never tout the performance of its consoles, it’s clear that the company is taking HD graphics seriously this time around. Back in 2006 with the Wii, Nintendo bet that HD wasn’t a big deal. And they were right. But that was six years ago. Today, HD is mainstream. Despite Nintendo’s main focus on the GamePad controller, they know that the Wii U not only has to be able to push 1080p resolution, but deliver decent image quality as well. It simply has to do this if it’s going to appeal to a mainstream audience, because today, mainstream has gone HD. In fact, they did several years ago. And it appears that Nintendo has in fact delivered a powerful console: the current (rumored) Wii U specs include a 3GHz tri-core CPU, 1.5 GB of RAM, and a speedy GPU from AMD. This makes the Wii U about 2X more powerful than the Xbox 360, meaning there’s plenty of performance to drive HD graphics to satisfy today’s gamers and casual fans. And that’s important for Nintendo — back in 2006, HDTV’s were just taking off, but now, the vast majority of television sets are HDTVs.

Another major reason for Nintendo to create a console with modern specs is third party support. Because of its specs and HD capabilities, third party publishers are now bringing some of their major franchises to a Nintendo console because for the first time, it’s technically feasible. Games like Assassin’s Creed 3, Batman Arkham City and Mass Effect 3 are all coming to the Wii U. And some of them come with improved visuals over their Xbox 360 and PS3 counterparts. Not to mention full tablet controller support.

For a console not to offer HD resolution today would be the same as if a console in year 2000 couldn’t do 3D visualsWhile us Nintendo fans tend to favor innovation over prettier graphics — and that’s how it should be — it’s important to recognize that graphics and visual advances in video games do matter. If they didn’t matter at all, we’d still be playing black and white 8-bit games on tiny screens. For a console not to offer HD resolution today would be the same as if a console in year 2000 couldn’t do 3D visuals, or a console in 1995 didn’t offer colors and was only in black and white. But it’s easy to get lost in the war of graphics and specs, and Nintendo knows this. They’ve made the Wii U just powerful enough to display decent graphics, but not powerful enough where it competes solely on performance. That’s not where the Wii U’s strengths lie. The strength of the Wii U is in its innovation, mainly, its controller.

Nintendo didn’t compete on graphics last time because they didn’t have to: they had a much more innovative product. And they don’t have to compete on graphics this time either — the Wii U offers a new approach to gaming that other console makers have already tried to copy. But that doesn’t mean the company is stuck in 2006. They have to keep up with the times as everyone else. The Wii U is powerful just enough to support full HD graphics and satisfy third parties. After that, it’s all about the unique features of the console: the Wii U GamePad."

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
If Nintendo breaches $350 then they are going to have some serious problems. Even a WiiU bundled with Nintendoland at $349 would have a hard time moving off the shelves pass the Holidays.

Nintendo needs to hit $299, bundle or not.

PhantomR

Banned
If Nintendo breaches $350 then they are going to have some serious problems. Even a WiiU bundled with Nintendoland at $350 would have a hard time moving off the shelves pass the Holidays.

Nintendo needs to hit $299, bundle or not.

I think Nintendo can go over $299 with two SKUs.

The second SKU would need to really be packed to the brim with goodies (very large USB hard drive, game, headset, etc etc)

Banned
I personally dont think Nintendo will go higher than 350,
But if Ninty sees alot of people are pre-ordering it at 399-499
Who knows what they will decide.
399 euro is 487 Canadian. Yeah, I love Nintendo but, fuck that. I won't buy it for more than $350 CAD which is like 287 euro

brainpann

MDX's "October Sources" were gaining steam with me, especially with the Gamestop rumor about pre-orders starting next week, but damn, 399 euros? Granted, I live in the U.S. but that would probably mean NOA would sell for $399.00 (yes, I know that is not a direct conversion) and I don't see that happening...

Surely it is the product of so little info actually being released but there seems to be a crazy amount of conflicting rumors about the Wii U.

People need to chill about Zelda. Let Nintendo do their job. I have been happy with all the Zeldas. People like to complain and then it has this trendy domino effect then others start saying stuff. Its good idea not to really read to much into it. People start seeing all these invisible issues that arent really there and people all jump aboard to point it out..and I just roll my eyes because I dont have the whole gaf issue box reflex and enjoy the game for what it is and not get agitated by petty self annoyances.

You've been happy with all Zeldas? Phantom Hourglass and the constant backtracking of annoying puzzles in ocean king temple, makes me shudder. Haven't been a huge fan of spirit tracks either. Blowing into the mic to play an instrument is lame. DKR DS was bad enough with that...

399 euro is 487 Canadian. Yeah, I love Nintendo but, fuck that. I won't buy it for more than $350 CAD which is like 287 euro

If it's 399 euro then it would be most likely 399 us, which would make it 399 Canadian. But yeah, I don't believe that price at all. $299 makes too much sense.

Yes, but since the speakers are propably a shitton better than the wiimote speaker the "sound travel" think may actually be used now

i.E. Shooting sound for arrow comes from the pad, impact sound from tv

etc...

I'm hoping that they're going to have two speakers the way the 3DS has. The pseudo-surround sound thing they have going with the 3DS is excellent, particularly when playing Revelations. I'd imagine that ZombiU would be greatly improved if they do this.

Still no clue how exactly they've managed it on the 3DS.

I'm also pretty certain that there's something about either the controller or console that they're holding back. Would certainly explain why they've NDAed everyone up to the eyeballs.

Meelow

Banned
People saying Nintendo would have problems selling it over $350, ever though Sony and MS might face the same problems too?

The thing is those people excuse would be "well the PS4 and Xbox 720 are more powerful and you know you will get great third party support on them and you don't know Nintendo will get it"

I know that will be the excuse.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I have to wonder if the 399 euros rumor was spawned from retailers who are going to take pre-orders being told the maximum ceiling to set the pre-order price for is 399. Similar to how retailers often put up pre-orders for games at 99 to avoid customers being told the real price is higher than was originally indicated.

Cannot imagine Nintendo releasing any console at more than $300 US. They're putting too much effort into pushing the Wii U as a suitable console for the original blue ocean audience, as well as core gamers.

brainpann

People saying Nintendo would have problems selling it over $350, ever though Sony and MS might face the same problems too?

While I agree that Sony and MS will have a hard time selling a console at the same prices they did 7 years ago, I think it may be more of a perceived value sort of thing and the perception is that Nintendo has weaker (less costly) hardware. Take the GameCube as an example. It was superior to the PS2 and many people thought it was the weaker system because it was Nintendo. People will justify spending more because it is the PS4 or Nextbox, but i think if Nintendo were to release nearly identical hardware cheaper, it would still be thought of as inferior.

Meelow

Banned
While I agree that Sony and MS will have a hard time selling a console at the same prices they did 7 years ago, I think it may be more of a perceived value sort of thing and the perception is that Nintendo has weaker (less costly) hardware. Take the GameCube as an example. It was superior to the PS2 and many people thought it was the weaker system because it was Nintendo.

Are you talking about people today or 10 years ago?, because Nintendo always had the more powerful console.

brainpann

Are you talking about people today or 10 years ago?, because Nintendo always had the more powerful console.

Both....

This all goes back to the "16bit Wars" when Sega launched a pretty successful campaign, instilling that the SNES and Gameboy were inferior to their the Genesis and GameGear. While true in some respects, the main point was to drive sales for Sega and eventually there was the divide between Sega and Nintendo gamers. Many of my friends at the time would make fun of my SNES and when MK1 was released, oh boy was it a shit storm.

Sony more or less followed Sega's suit with their PSX ads, citing cd vs cart mostly. It didnt help Nintendo's case that for the most part, the PS1 and Saturn had a more mature library to choose from.

I don't remember much about the GC/PS2/Xbox era as far as advertising but I do remember how people compared the GameCube to a purple lunchbox with a Playskool controller. Not to mention the incorrect perception the Gamecube was inferior to the PS2.

The Wii and Nintendo's Blue Ocean strategy just exacerbated things. This is why I think no matter what Nintendo does, their hardware will be perceived as "kiddie".

You've been happy with all Zeldas? Phantom Hourglass and the constant backtracking of annoying puzzles in ocean king temple, makes me shudder. Haven't been a huge fan of spirit tracks either. Blowing into the mic to play an instrument is lame. DKR DS was bad enough with that...
Relating to PH yes. I havent played ST yet though. I thought Phantom Hourglass approached a whole new way to play Zelda first starting with the touch screen. It also has drawbacks like the back tracking and such but Im not gonna call the game bad for it. Besides these people arent talking about DS Zeldas they're talking about home console versions. Just because one person decides to state their opinions on how bad a game is doesnt mean Im gonna jump on with it. People on gaf talk about oh Im tired of games and all this hoopla and they're all bad or whatever yet they sit on these messageboards all day and worry about review scores and discuss how bad a game is rather than enjoying as it is. Lets talk about the pros and enjoyable side once in awhile.

Meelow

Banned
Both....

This all goes back to the "16bit Wars" when Sega launched a pretty successful campaign, instilling that the SNES and Gameboy were inferior to their the Genesis and GameGear. While true in some respects, the main point was to drive sales for Sega and eventually there was the divide between Sega and Nintendo gamers. Many of my friends at the time would make fun of my SNES and when MK1 was released, oh boy was it a shit storm.

Sony more or less followed Sega's suit with their PSX ads, citing cd vs cart mostly. It didnt help Nintendo's case that for the most part, the PS1 and Saturn had a more mature library to choose from.

I don't remember much about the GC/PS2/Xbox era as far as advertising but I do remember how people compared the GameCube to a purple lunchbox with a Playskool controller. Not to mention the incorrect perception the Gamecube was inferior to the PS2.

The Wii and Nintendo's Blue Ocean strategy just exacerbated things. This is why I think no matter what Nintendo does, their hardware will be perceived as "kiddie".

Which annoys me because Microsoft is the one now pushing for casual's, they have Halo which people will call Microsoft hardcore even if the Xbox 720 is for little kids/casuals, does Nintendo have to make some super mature game with tons of gore, drugs, and sex to convince the "hardcore" gamers that Nintendo is truly mature?, no because that's not Nintendo and Nintendo wouldn't be Nintendo if they made a game like that, those people just got to know what the definition of kiddy is these days.

brainpann

As I was reminiscing about Mortal Kombat being released on the SNES and Genesis, wouldn't it have been hilarious if people had said,

"The SNES isnt powerful enough to handle the color red, therefore blood will be made in to sweat." ?

LOL, amirite guys............guys?

crickets chirping

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Nintendo will always be perceived as 'kiddy' because they refuse to play along with faux-maturity that sells to 20 year old males who are hot blooded and want to act grown up real bad.

No matter how they style their image, or their consoles... they will always be sure they remain friendly to all age groups, and provide introductory gaming for children (Nintendo's future customers, because they make only games and nothing else; they need the game market to grow in all demographics).

A lot of core gamers who sneer at Nintendo for 'not growing up' don't care about any of this, they just want products that, as they see it, stroke their image and are 'bitchin' cool'. The mentality is, with no small irony, itself immature.

Hell, Sega's entire marketing war with Nintendo was predicated on appealing with those teenagers who were becoming arrogant 18 year olds by making the Genesis the kick ass black killer console, versus Nintendo's silly toy games.

brainpann

... does Nintendo have to make some super mature game with tons of gore, drugs, and sex to convince the "hardcore" gamers that Nintendo is truly mature?, no because that's not Nintendo and Nintendo wouldn't be Nintendo if they made a game like that, those people just got to know what the definition of kiddy is these days.

I agree that No, Nintendo doesnt have to do that but it also wouldnt hurt to get a few third parties on board that will do that for them. Prime example, Zombie U, Arkham City, Mass Effect, etc.

All I think Nintendo needs to do is to keep establishing themselves as the go to company for gaming. Microsoft and Sony both have other motives/divisions that have a hand in how their gaming hardware will evolve. Nintendo just has to focus primarily on the gaming aspect.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.

I just got done posting the following (before coming here and seeing MDX's "sources" post) in the WiiU off tv thread:

It's off-topic, but with the way things have gone, I have a hard time believing a video game system next generation over $350 will be successful unless it truly brings something groundbreaking to the table.

And no, graphics will not solve this problem. I think we have very well seen the writing-on-the-wall in pricing standards for the whole video game indistry with handheld gaming this generation, considering how well the PSP sold out the gate at $250 last generation. On the console side, the 360 launched at $299 without a harddrive, $399 with. The PS3 launched at $499 for 20GB, $599 for 60GB. And the Wii launched at $249. While the 360 was semi-successful until Kinect/lower price, the Wii was the only one to truly flourish out the gate. That was when the video game industry was healthy in NA!

Meelow

Banned
I agree that No, Nintendo doesnt have to do that but it also wouldnt hurt to get a few third parties on board that will do that for them. Prime example, Zombie U, Arkham City, Mass Effect, etc.

All I think Nintendo needs to do is to keep establishing themselves as the go to company for gaming. Microsoft and Sony both have other motives/divisions that have a hand in how their gaming hardware will evolve. Nintendo just has to focus primarily on the gaming aspect.

Oh yeah I 100% agree with you, I want the Wii U too get Grand Theft Auto V, Watch Dogs, Star Wars 1313, etc.

I'm tired of the games like Babyz and other kiddy titles that went to Wii, one of the main things I want from Nintendo is to make sure they get the third party support right this time with the Wii U.

I mean will Nintendo finally get third party support right this time?, for 3 generations now Nintendo's consoles all have a problem with them.

Nintendo 64 - Cartridge based hurt third party support
GameCube - Small CD, low sales hurt third party support
Wii - Too weak to get the major third party support

We know Nintendo is using 25gb of memory for the disks, the Wii U won't be to weak like the Wii was compared to the PS3 and 360 and Nintendo made the Wii U Pro Controller which will help third party's that won't want to use the Gamepad, we know Nintendo is being very supportive of indie devs and making it much easier to support the Wii U than what the Wii was, they are also supporting Free 2 Play, achievements are confirmed for Wii U, a much better online, and more.

DekuLink

I'd much prefer 720p native with v-synch. Screen tearing has driven me bloody mental this gen. What's the point in developers putting in the effort to give us decent looking eye candy when it all turns to shite whenever you move the camera..?

Yeah, I was worried a little while that there was something wrong with my PS3 when I was first playing ACII.
Tearings has to go next gen. Personally i don't really care that much about 30 vs. 60 fps. But lagging framerates and screen tearings, begone foul things.

Banned
If it's 399 euro then it would be most likely 399 us, which would make it 399 Canadian. But yeah, I don't believe that price at all. $299 makes too much sense.
Nintendo wants to sell me a $400 console it better be on par with the PS4/720 or have a packin game and two controllers or a digital shop card or something. $400 for just a console and tablet is a ripoff.

JordanN

Banned
I mean will Nintendo finally get third party support right this time?, for 3 generations now Nintendo's consoles all have a problem with them.

Nintendo 64 - Cartridge based hurt third party support
GameCube - Small CD, low sales hurt third party support
Wii - Too weak to get the major third party support

We know Nintendo is using 25gb of memory for the disks, the Wii U won't be to weak like the Wii was compared to the PS3 and 360 and Nintendo made the Wii U Pro Controller which will help third party's that won't want to use the Gamepad, we know Nintendo is being very supportive of indie devs and making it much easier to support the Wii U than what the Wii was, they are also supporting Free 2 Play, achievements are confirmed for Wii U, a much better online, and more.
The Wii U at this point is basically how the Genesis and PS1 first started off.

There's nothing inferior about it in relation to the present. It's all about how it maintains its foothold for the rest of its gen (i.e sales).

Meelow

Banned
The Wii U at this point is basically how the Genesis and PS1 first started off.

There's nothing inferior about it in relation to the present. It's all about how it maintains its foothold for the rest of its gen (i.e sales).

That's true, hopefully Nintendo gets it this time.

Banned
I'm officially using the ThunderMonkey Signal.

dried_fig.jpg

Blades64

Banned
I'm new to Gaf (have been lurking around the Wii U thread for a good while before E3), but man, does every single Wii U thread go to the crapper??? It's ridiculous.

Earendil

Relating to PH yes. I havent played ST yet though. I thought Phantom Hourglass approached a whole new way to play Zelda first starting with the touch screen. It also has drawbacks like the back tracking and such but Im not gonna call the game bad for it. Besides these people arent talking about DS Zeldas they're talking about home console versions. Just because one person decides to state their opinions on how bad a game is doesnt mean Im gonna jump on with it. People on gaf talk about oh Im tired of games and all this hoopla and they're all bad or whatever yet they sit on these messageboards all day and worry about review scores and discuss how bad a game is rather than enjoying as it is. Lets talk about the pros and enjoyable side once in awhile.

The only problem I had with ST was that as an asthmatic with no musical talent, the spirit flute was a pain in the arse.

Meelow

Banned
Ehhhhhhhhhhh not really, most just hate Nintendo dropped out of the Graphics race and are now focusing more on non-traditional method of playing games.

The Wii U might not be the most powerful console next gen but at least Nintendo jumped back into the graphic race and will have amazing looking games (3D Mario, Zelda, etc)

brainpann

Ehhhhhhhhhhh not really, most just hate Nintendo dropped out of the Graphics race and are now focusing more on non-traditional method of playing games.

Ehhhhhhhhhh, I dunno think that is quite it. Modern Nintendo "hate" feels the same way it did when I was a kid with the SNES vs Genesis, N64 vs PSX, etc, etc.

I dont really think they are focusing on non-traditional methods of playing games either. It has always been their MO to expand the way we play games. NES had the dpad, SNES had L and R triggers and 4 face buttons, N64 brought analog, Gamecube brought....a handle on the console?

Now that I think about it, the GameCube was probably their most "traditional" system and it did the poorest. Go figure.

Anyway, point is, Nintendo has always tried to push the way we play games further and it is hardly a new focus.

Because not that many people here like nintendo or their fans

It's not that they don't like us they are mad because we don't subscribe to the same juvenile mindset that they have of if it's not the prettiest it sucks...

and about the price point I've seen people try to justify their purchase while knocking someone else's take my friend for instance he called me stupid for buying a 3DS at launch even though my DSi had been broken for months and I was planning on buying one anyway. he said the price was too high... fast forward he buys a Vita at 250 and constantly tries to justify this because it can do YouTube (and something else that I don't remember because I zoned him out while playing Kid Icarus)

TL,DR version no matter how high the price there will be people that try to justify it with idiotic excuses the opposite is also true people will find a reason to hate it for no particular reason.

mgcastro

I'd like Nintendo to introduce new IP's or reintroduce older forgotten ones with new twists. Every gen I start thinking, 'where will mario go next?' or 'How much more pokemons can they create?', I fear they could run out of fresh ideas with their elite-tier IPs, thus hurting their quality.

By the way, I've been a lurker for quite some time and a Nintendo fan since mid 90's. Also enjoyed the way to E3 '12 with all the load of info, speculation and gifs. :p

jerd

Well you know... they could go with a Majora's Mask type departure with the Mario franchise, making it dark and twisted. I'd buy it.

I'd buy about 6 copies. Mario is a detective for the MKPD and must solve a string of grizzly murders occuring throughout the kingdom.

Meelow

Banned
Well you know... they could go with a Majora's Mask type departure with the Mario franchise, making it dark and twisted. I'd buy it.

That would be epic, I saw a video on youtube and it was made by someone in the gaming industry and it was a dark gritty Mario and it was very sad about what happened in the video, a dark and twisted Mario game is awesome and Nintendo did it for Zelda they can do it for Mario.

Here it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xwQkZV6IpM

Warning the video is sad and dark.

golcarfel

Neo Member
That would be epic, I saw a video on youtube and it was made by someone in the gaming industry and it was a dark gritty Mario and it was very sad about what happened in the video, a dark and twisted Mario game is awesome and Nintendo did it for Zelda they can do it for Mario.

Here it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xwQkZV6IpM

Warning the video is sad and dark.

O_O dude that was fucken weird and disturbing..........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom