• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the gamepad could act as a CCPRO since it has all the buttons for it. So you could play Xenoblade on the Gamepad. And every other game that works with CC/CCPro (Smash, Last Story, etc) And they would look amazing since the screen resolution is not as high as on tv

Banned
Do you think Nintendo is going to engineer a "supply constraint issue" like they presumably did for Wii for the first two or three years, for the Wii U?

Or if you don't believe this conspiracy theory, do you think it will legitimately be sold out for the first few years?
Nintendo didn't anticipate the Wii catching fire and didn't supply enough Wii's to meet demand for 2 years. Apparently some guy did some research and calculations and said Nintendo could have made $1.6 billion more in revenue had the Wii been in stock for the first two years.

Banned
I figured that's what you were referring to, still looks animation heavy but with collision detection and some physics added on top of it. Backbreaker actually seems over the top in the other direction, hits end up looking like Blitz (...then again I love Blitz).

I was looking for the running into the ground gif myself but couldn't find it...plus I'm not even sure that was from FIFA 12.
iDxrf3lJIgUXR.gif

jmizzal

I feel sorry for people who relate the madden physics engine to WiiU. If you dont play madden you shouldnt have a word on it at all. Including IGN. Its not a real physics engine like EA has been advertising it as. Its just a tweaked version of the already maddens engine to give it a real time physics illusion.

Exactly do people really think EA is gonna make some super power physics engine for current gen right before next gen starts?

So is the cpu an actual issue for the Madden physics engine, or is everyone just speculating? There is no doubt in my mind it will be in next years Madden, and this is typical EA being lazy for a console launch.

Everyone is just speculating. I suspect the main reason was a lack of time and developer resources rather than anything hardware specific causing problems. We know that the 360 and PS3 are both hampered by not having a DSP so straight ports are going to need extra work to free up CPU resources. I really don't think we have any worries regarding the CPU's power.

And with regards to the size of the case being indicative of a console's power, the Gamecube says a very big hello. Nintendo have some of the best engineers in the business so I'm personally not too concerned about the size of the case.

Phazon

You can have seperate audio from the GamePad, according to Two Tribes

Two Tribes ‏@TwoTribesGames
We've got the first audio code running on Wii U. You can send separate audio to game pad and TV. Not sure yet if and how we can use that.

AzaK

Everyone is just speculating. I suspect the main reason was a lack of time and developer resources rather than anything hardware specific causing problems. We know that the 360 and PS3 are both hampered by not having a DSP so straight ports are going to need extra work to free up CPU resources. I really don't think we have any worries regarding the CPU's power.

And with regards to the size of the case being indicative of a console's power, the Gamecube says a very big hello. Nintendo have some of the best engineers in the business so I'm personally not too concerned about the size of the case.

Interesting points with respect to this topic. The audio is probably scoffing a lot of the CPU.

MDX

Another Wii U thread most likely going downhill.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=486459

I dont know why people get their panties in a bunch over this.
AC3 is most likely not the reason why the average person buys a WiiU.
No matter how much better it is vs other consoles or even the PC.

But, if you have a choice on which console you want to play it on, then
the WiiU can be the better option if graphics is important to you.
Thats all that Satterfield is saying.

And for Nintendo fans, it nice to know that some publishers will actually
make an extra effort to improve the visuals for WiiU ports from the current
generation, because most likely WiiU will get the less better looking ports
when MS and Sony come with their new systems.

Is it that bad for Nintendo to have the most powerful console available to the public
for a year or two?

Roo

Is it that bad for Nintendo to have the most powerful console available to the public
for a year or two?

Apparently, for some people that's just something unacceptable.
HD Nintendo games+Ports+Exclusives+Multiplatforms = WIN!!
I mean... I would be scared too ;D

antonz

Interesting points with respect to this topic. The audio is probably scoffing a lot of the CPU.

Audio can be quite the hog really and the fact that most companies are going for the quick and dirty port jobs right now it is an issue in regards to the Wii U. There is alot of "free" resources how Nintendo designed it that are not being used to lift the burden from the CPU with rush job ports etc.

It is one reason why when the other consoles come out the Wii U is much more likely to be treated alot better outside of any exclusive games prior.

MDX

We've got the first audio code running on Wii U. You can send separate audio to game pad and TV. Not sure yet if and how we can use that.

Does this confirm the DSP?

Isn't this the same as with the Wii -> Wiimote speaker?

VariantX

for a year or two?

It always ends up with the "See, I told you its not as bad as you think" people vs. "It sucks , it has no power and its full of gimmicks" people going back and forth. Staying on topic in Wii U related threads in gaming discussion is impossible right now without a mod having to go in and declare martial law. All that over one guys opinion of how he wants to experience a game.

japtor

I guess so, but I think the quality of the Wii U speakers will be much better.
Even if they aren't I think a bigger deal would be bandwidth. The remote audio sounded compressed to all hell, I imagine the gamepad's signal will be much better.

AzaK

for a year or two?

People just can't handle it.

I mean Nintendo revitalised the industry decades ago and was the main platform for quite some time. Then Halo came along and people who had missed out on the previous 20 years of gaming looked at the Cube and went "Kiddy". Then the Wii and went "Casual". Now, Nintendo comes out with the most powerful console, better third party support, killer features in a tablet controller and they are really struggling to find something to rubbish it over. Their manhoods are threatened now.

Meelow

Banned

I mean Nintendo revitalised the industry decades ago and was the main platform for quite some time. Then Halo came along and people who had missed out on the previous 20 years of gaming looked at the Cube and went "Kiddy". Then the Wii and went "Casual". Now, Nintendo comes out with the most powerful console, better third party support, killer features in a tablet controller and they are really struggling to find something to rubbish it over. Their manhoods are threatened now.

Lol I so agree with you, if anyone remembers, remember when people where complaining that "I don't want to use a big controller like that it sucks, I wish Nintendo can make traditional controllers like they used to" and than Nintendo announces the Wii U Pro Controller and the same people complain how it looks too much like the Xbox 360 controller.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.

If the gaming discussion wasn't filled with so much WiiU threads (good and bad), I would totally make a thread for this. This is the return of the Wiimote speaker, but with actual half-way quality sounds coming out. Games like Wii Sports Resort, Shattered Memories, No More Heroes, and Wii Party made great use of this feature, and I could really see some awesome potential for it this generation with better sound quality!

If the gaming discussion wasn't filled with so much WiiU threads (good and bad), I would totally make a thread for this. This is the return of the Wiimote speaker, but with actual half-way quality sounds coming out. Games like Wii Sports Resort, Shattered Memories, No More Heroes, and Wii Party made great use of this feature, and I could really see some awesome potential for it this generation with better sound quality!

yeah, its good to hear little details like that, who knows how much more little things Nintendo is keeping from us that are new and not an old improvement

Van Owen

Banned
No one really jumped on Fran for what he said. And they shouldn't have, since he was being pretty reasonable. Not sure why people here made a big deal out of it.

Pineconn

To be fair, it won't be the most powerful of the 8th generation.

I'm sure the haters will simply say, "Well, I'm not interested in any Nintendo games." This is fine since everyone has different tastes, but only as long as they don't turn every Wii U thread into a crapstorm. It's getting pretty old, and I've been a (junior) member for only a month.

LCGeek

formerly sane

I'm sure the haters will simply say, "Well, I'm not interested in any Nintendo games." This is fine since everyone has different tastes, but only as long as they don't turn every Wii U thread into a crapstorm. It's getting pretty old, and I've been a (junior) member for only a month.

That's how gaf works in certain places it's not worth paying attention to be honest.

Tehalemi

My daily dump. It's 21.41pm now and still nothing. I'm gonna have to stare at Piers Morgan's face for 5 minutes, that always gets things moving.

xD

I read this from beginning to end, and at first was like, "ok sweet, good to know for future reference. Thanks for the Wii U info."

MDX

Oi, MDX!!! WiiU Europe delay response please :p

imager.php

Dammit... you're going to make me write a long post.

I would by lying if I said doubt has not crept into my mind since posting what I posted.
And thats because three sources I have seemingly contradicted each other.

Let me break it down like this.

Source 1 stated the following:
Nintendo put out the that that WiiU could launch anywhere from the
1st of October to the 19th. Source did not indicate which region,
as in world wide, US, EU or Japan only.
I assumed EU because the source is from Euroland.
Source also stated that price most likely will be 399 euro
with an additional bundle for 499 (Im biting my lip on this one).

After my exchange with Source 1, I wanted to see if I could confirm this
info with another source I have. Somebody who owns a distribution company
that supplies video games to retailers. Also based in Europe.

Source 2 says:
WiiU cant launch in October because Nintendo is supposedly organizing a major event for the EU.
Which Source 1 also had mentioned. Though the date of this event is still unknown.
Source 2 said expect a November release. But, it could very well be pushed close to Xmas for EU.

Finally, Source 3, owner of a game store, stated they dont expect a EU release until Feb 21st.
Why the specific date? I dont know. But retailers are far down the need-to-know line, so I dont put that much stock in that info.
But I can imagine that if that date is true, its due to smaller shops getting WiiU units later than major chains.
This might also account for the many different dates being bandied about.

None of my sources work for Nintendo. But they all work in the game industry at different levels.
What I was warned about is that they wouldn't be surprised that Nintendo, aware of leaks, have sent out different dates to keep people guessing.

But OK, regarding the Source 1 October release date, or any other date for that matter.
One way we can know, I was told, is the following:

Major Mail-Order catalogues, in the EU, will be printed and mailed out near the end of August.
If Nintendo wants the WiiU to be in those magazines, they have to give them the release date and the price very soon.
Because once those catalogues go out, that info will be public knowledge. So that means, expect a Nintendo direct very soon.

Thats where I am at with the info so far.
Im hoping for an October release, but maybe all we get in October are the demo stations.
Im waiting to see what the end of August brings.
Its going to be fun to see who was right and wrong once its all said and done.

ozfunghi

If the WiiU costs 400 euro's, i for one am not going to buy one. And i won't be alone. Even if it were cutting edge tech.

Credibility -10

Alright, thanks MDX... you know you had to get that out of the way sooner or later though man ;-)

Ok, interesting. If it is 399 euro, that's about £350!!!! errrrm, anyone wanna to buy a kidney?

Let's see what happens though. There's definitely been a bit of roll on the last week with promo stuff hitting the stores and game box templates been posted and confirmed.

xD

I read this from beginning to end, and at first was like, "ok sweet, good to know for future reference. Thanks for the Wii U info."

:p

PhantomR

Banned

This is primarily why I focus almost all of my gaming discussion here in this thread. As a Nintendo fan I don't think it's worth the hassle of posting anywhere else.

The OT forums are pretty fun too (sports topics, that is).

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Good to hear abaout Two tribes confirmation about the different audio flow for the gamepad.
an expansion of the speaker idea (especially due to the jack for hearphones, but also for a better quality) I liked so much in the remote

Nibel

I'm sure the haters will simply say, "Well, I'm not interested in any Nintendo games."

But why post this in a thread? Who gives a shit if you don't like something?

Everybody who posts in these Nintendo threads with no substance just wants to provoke, that's it. And many fall for them.

Yea there will be the inevitable "I dont understand how this is news." posts

But why post this in a thread? Who gives a shit if you don't like something?

Everybody who posts in these Nintendo threads with no substance just wants to provoke, that's it. And many fall for them.
Maybe we should make a thread and not post in it and let them all copy paste their usual replys and see how ridiculous they all look without anyone replying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom