• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmizzal

Makes me wonder the pricing plan though XD I mean look at the eShop version of NSMB2, I hope Nintendo priceline ain't too crazy on the Wii U. I mean good for them that they don't wanna piss off retailers, but hopefully DD only games are reasonable priced.

On Wii/360/PS3 all DD only games are 15 bucks or less, NSMB2 is a retail and DD thats the reason for the high price.

I can't really describe it: It felt like the Wii Pro Controller - but it didn't feel right because of the design. It was too light, too "plastic-ish", too "toy-ish" - unlike the 360 controller for example. Yes, I could play good with it, but I can't see myself spending dozens of hours with that thing.

That really annoyed me :lol
It looked so good on pictures. Oh well.

It's not the main controller so im sure its pretty cheap but it might cost cheap too, CC only cost 19.99, while an 360 controller cost 39.99, so it being cheap may not be a bad thing as long as its functional like you said.

Roo

You can't just create a new franchise/ mascot. The audience decides what happens then. Forcing a new mascot never, ever works.

I think I'm not following you. Where is this coming from?
I'm fine the way they already are tho. Nintendo has too many IPs that could see new life on Wii U

jmizzal

I think I'm not following you. Where is this coming from?
I'm fine the way they already are tho. Nintendo has too many IPs that could see new life on Wii U

Yea they have a lot of new IP's on Wii and we have gone over them, but a lot of older IP's missed Wii, like Star Fox, F-Zero, Kid Icarus, and Wave Race. Would love for them to come back on WiiU.

I think his question was more oriented about creating new mascots a la Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Donkey, Pikmin etc.
It was, I now it takes a lot of effort and time, but I hope that if they do make some new mascot, they will work as hard as they can to make him/her/it as likeable as their other mascots.

http://mynintendonews.com/2011/12/08/shigeru-miyamoto-will-reveal-a-brand-new-nintendo-game-within-a-year/

I don't know if we'll see it at the Fall Conference, but it's definitely being made.
Wow, thanks for that link! If he really started working on it early 2012, then it has been 7/8 months in development, no?
Maybe that's enough for a trailer, but I don't wanna get my hopes up.

Stewox

Banned
"FUN" is when you don't get bored within a few minutes of playing and start looking down on the floor or up in the ceiling instead of paying attention to the game wishing it was over.

That's probably the most ridicolous analogy i've ever heard about opinions. Who says this is standard, westerners?

Starfox wasn't fun. it was awesome. I want F-Zero too, F-zero wasn't fun either , it was my favourite race game ever.

The_Lump

Banned
The one you used lacked a battery pack, correct? I know that won't help with the cheap feeling, but I'd like it to be a little heavier than the DS3.

Citroen DS3 weighs a good tonne I reckon.....oh I see (lololololol)

Agreed, controllers need a bit of weight, and slightly heavier than a 3ds sounds about right to me. Ps3 sixaxis controllers were horribly light.

That's probably the most ridicolous analogy i've ever heard about opinions. Who says this is standard, westerners?

Starfox wasn't fun. it was awesome. I want F-Zero too, F-zero wasn't fun either , it was my favourite race game ever.
Haha, I play F-Zero GX once in a while, amazing game. Every single race I get this kind of impulse, it's so awesome.

The_Lump

Banned
DSP may be off the shelf so it's possible it wont undergo any changes whereas the GPU and CPU are custom so Nintendo wont give any concrete numbers till they come up with a finalized design. It may also protect against potential corporate espionage (again, both processors being custom and constantly worked on).

Those are my guesses.

Good points, thanks for the reply.

Banned
3ac9275b0012fc1ae9684093b7042f9f.jpg

f7f0383ed063e12643cca0e960689521.jpg

e55b0622d43cb71f308ad62687b77991.jpg

8e9d357bd063659d3d0d276adec9457f.jpg

237d29c0b4e3f5f40bcfce6db7781681.jpg

Quoting wont shrink the pics lol.

Mithos

Gold Member

So am I to assume you play a game even when you're so bored out of you mind doing so, that you start doing other things instead, like look at the floor or up in the ceiling or hey it's raining outside? That's kinda stupid, why not switch to a game your having "fun" while playing instead.
Ohh, wait it seems your hung up on the word "FUN"......

Why play a game if you are not ENJOYING playing that game......

Quoting wont shrink the pics lol.

I think you got the wrong topic dude.

Anyway i was reading the wii u hype thread and nintendo seriously needs to announce a nintendo direct and get their wii u shit together. I've never seen so many people care so little about the arrival of a next gen platform by a major company before

Banned
I'm gonna laugh so hard if no nintendo direct is announced this week and they wait till TGS or the fall conference (assuming the fall conference is real)

According to Emily Rogers, Sega is planning to announce some Sega downloadable games on the Wii U eshop.

If they're willing to somehow farm the development out to Ubisoft Montpellier, I will happily purchase a digitally downloaded copy of "Sonic the Hedgehog 5".

He told me that he had personally seen one work at 30 yards bit beyond that he couldn't say. He then specified that there were also no walls separating the game pad and system at the time, then added the standard anywhere in the living room line before stating that they always officially state a shorter range than what is technically possible because depending on their setup not everyone will achieve Max range. We then spoke of the wave bird functioning at double Nintendo's official range, but he would comment further...

Holy crap, that's clear across the street! I think this confirms that we can officially call HylianTom back from retirement.

Terrell

Anybody speculating on what that Japanese support for the Wii U might actually be?

I'm expecting maybe an established franchise game or two from Capcom (MH, RE, or something, maybe even a fighter). For the most part though I'm actually expecting new IPs from a lot of those companies if they are in fact developing for Wii U. A new IP or spin-off from Square Enix maybe.

I'm expecting that Japan will blitzkrieg us at TGS.

I think you got the wrong topic dude.

Anyway i was reading the wii u hype thread and nintendo seriously needs to announce a nintendo direct and get their wii u shit together. I've never seen so many people care so little about the arrival of a next gen platform by a major company before

You obviously don't recall the Wii launch. This is actually better, as it's mostly indifference instead of outright hate and disdain.

brainpann

Let's hope that Sega notice that the GamePad is a giant Dreamcast controller and release Shenmue 1/2 and Sonic Adventure 1/2.

Oh my effing Gee!!!

It's so obvious but I never thought about a Dreamcast port getting a Virtual VMU with the WiiU pad. I don't know why exactly but the thought of that make me giddy. :)

Boogybro

Exactly. I wanna be able to train my Chaos on that thing, and I want it to beep obnoxiously when I learn a new martial arts technique.

Oddduck

I looked at some of Sega's games that will be coming out this fall (closer to when Wii U might launch)

Jet Set Radio (Xbox Live Arcade, PlayStation Network, Microsoft Windows)
Hell Yeah! Wrath of the Dead Rabbit (PlayStation Network, Xbox Live Arcade, PC)
Nights into Dreams... (PlayStation Network, Xbox Live Arcade, PC)
Sonic Adventure 2 (PlayStation Network, Xbox Live Arcade)
The Cave (PlayStation Network, Xbox Live Arcade, PC) <--- This comes out 2013 I think.

There had been talks about Hell Yeah possibly coming to the Wii U:

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/blog/29746

Quote from NintendoWorldReport.com

While no one would confirm anything directly to me, games such as Sega and Arkedo's Hell Yeah and Gajin Games' Runner 2 are, at a minimum, seemingly being considered for Nintendo's next system. In the fantastic indie area (the best part of the show floor, in my eyes), almost every developer has an eye towards Wii U's downloadable platform.

Let's hope that Sega notice that the GamePad is a giant Dreamcast controller and release Shenmue 1/2 and Sonic Adventure 1/2.

Still not played Shenmue 2 yet - got it in mint condition. Was waiting to get a VGA cable for my DC, but I'd rather wait for this to happen if it was to.

Kouriozan

Exactly. I wanna be able to train my Chaos on that thing, and I want it to beep obnoxiously when I learn a new martial arts technique.

Chao Garden on the Gamepad? YES!!
I'm really hyped about Wii U's eShop, it's getting tons of praise and even Sega is praising it.
Wii U event will be glorious(if they don't reveal it before with a Nintendo Direct).

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Becareful with who you argue with in threads guys including myself. Im just now seeing azak got banned. Most likely happened in the sumo wii graphics thread.

Be reasonable and you'll be fine. IIRC, Azak accused Cloving of being a sociopath.

jerd

First off, the game pads were tethered, no luck testing distance, however I spoke to one of the actual Nintendo employees there
Not the black shirted cheerleaders, the plain clothed guys who fixed the systems if there were to be any type of problem
He told me that he had personally seen one work at 30 yards bit beyond that he couldn't say. He then specified that there were also no walls separating the game pad and system at the time, then added the standard anywhere in the living room line before stating that they always officially state a shorter range than what is technically possible because depending on their setup not everyone will achieve Max range. We then spoke of the wave bird functioning at double Nintendo's official range, but he would comment further...

MotherofGodGIF.gif

Terrell

Thats what I thought it was for..he was cool in my book. He got pushed to the edge I guess and they both got banned.

Wait a minute, Cloving is banned too?! If he was, I can tell you it wasn't for that thread, the thread was closed and Azak banned while he was still standing, so I would guess it was for something else entirely.

Also of note, Azak's avatar is gone, so.... perma'd?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Azak's ban was short and sweet and he'll be back soon. And it was mostly for what happened in that thread.

Terrell

Azak's ban was short and sweet and he'll be back soon. And it was mostly for what happened in that thread.

Well, I guess we should say thanks for the mod who banned him showing restraint and hope he learned his lesson, cuz... yeah, he went a bit over the edge. I had a feeling someone was going to throw themselves into a ban in that thread.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Well, I guess we should say thanks for the mod who banned him showing restraint and hope he learned his lesson, cuz... yeah, he went a bit over the edge. I had a feeling someone was going to throw themselves into a ban in that thread.

You're welcome.

D-e-f-

Banned
I think we should all just stay out of these general threads. ESPECIALLY the ones that deal with the hardware.

We all know how these threads go. Never ends well.

Not anything too special, but one of my Tweeps pointed out that Umbra engine is now available on Wii U

Powers ME 4 and Guild Wars 2

http://www.umbrasoftware.com/en/2012/08/14/umbra-now-an-official-wii-u-partner/

I thought Mass Effect 3 was built on UE3, or is this a middleware that can run along side in addition to!?!?

Edit, just read the basic overview. Sounds like a stand-alone optimisation tool

The purpose of Umbra 3 is to increase frame rate and help you get better performance out of your game.

Umbra&#8201;3 does this by optimizing critical parts of a game such as rendering and by providing tools to help with content streaming and game logic. We offer solutions that either work 100% on the CPU or use both the CPU and the GPU.

Umbra&#8201;3 builds an internal representation of a game scene and uses this data at runtime to perform efficient queries that can be used to e.g. determine the set of visible objects for the player or determine the set of objects that are within a given distance from a point.

Umbra&#8201;3 is available for PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, pc, iOS, handheld platforms and others on request.

Umbra appears to be optimisation middleware. The actual engine for ME3 is UE3.

Aiight, up to speed now. Wonder if Nintendo will include this in their free SDK tools with the Havok jollop and what not.

EatChildren

Umbra appears to be optimisation middleware. The actual engine for ME3 is UE3.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I think we should all just stay out of these general threads. ESPECIALLY the ones that deal with the hardware.

We all know how these threads go. Never ends well.

I don't think it is particularly healthy to shut yourself in one thread where there is a large echo chamber.

Like I said, just act reasonable and do not troll or personally attack and you will be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom