• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
If that gamepad plays 30 yards away I'm going to be ecstatic.

alfolla

Neo Member
Wait what? Ubisoft made the budget for one of its still-in-development games public? Where?

Can't remember where i have read about this.

Wouldn't you just believe me on the word? :p

It was when it jumped out that, according to Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemont, developing for Wii U is not expensive.

I think we should all just stay out of these general threads. ESPECIALLY the ones that deal with the hardware.

We all know how these threads go. Never ends well.

Until the Wii U shows a game which blows away one of the big triple A exclusive PS3 or 360 games then people will never stop with the power argument and the usual 'on par' statements.

Let's assume Wii U is twice as powerful as an Xbox 360, there will be no game which blows away the likes of Uncharted 3, Gears 3 ect on Wii U until developers really get to grips with the system a year to 18 months after launch by which time both PS4 and 720 will be out.

Once the argument goes from Wii U is actually not 'on par' with PS3 and 360 they will simply shift the focus to it being up to three times less powerful than PS4 / 720.

I stopped trying to defend Nintendo to 'mature' / 'core' gamers a long time ago, esp online.

Ignore them and enjoy the first of the next gen consoles in November, the first HD Nintendo console with a proper online community and a tablet controller along with fantastic games like NSMB U, Nintendo Land, Pikmin 3, Zombi U, Lego City and P-100 ect in the months to come.

They will be playing the 5th Halo of the generation and cheap rip off's of Mario Kart and Smash Bros...

ohlawd

Insiders, how much (times more powerful) do you think the Wii U, PS4, and Xbox 720 is to the PS3/360 and I guess Wii?.

Noooo don't go there. Not now.

And using multipliers to boot. I maintain that it's still the worst way to judge a system's power and how it holds up compared to other boxes.

Let's keep talking about Skies of Arcadia instead :)

Meelow

Banned
Noooo don't go there. Not now.

And using multipliers to boot. I maintain that it's still the worst way to judge a system's power and how it holds up compared to other boxes.

Let's keep talking about Skies of Arcadia instead :)

Lol I don't want to start a graphic war like some other people that post threads about the Wii U's power when it's not necessary...I have Skies of Arcadia on the GameCube, It's really good.

Insiders, how much (times more powerful) do you think the Wii U, PS4, and Xbox 720 is to the PS3/360 and I guess Wii?.

I think thundermonkey summed it up pretty well. The power gap between the wii u and the nextbox/ps4 will be similar to the gap between the panasonic m2/dreamcast (in the wii u's case) to the xbox/wii (ps4/nextbox's case) and im ok with that. In terms of multipliers though it would be pretty hard to say

Meelow

Banned
I think thundermonkey summed it up pretty well. The power gap between the wii u and the nextbox/ps4 will be similar to the gap between the panasonic m2/dreamcast (in the wii u's case) to the xbox/wii (ps4/nextbox's case) and im ok with that. In terms of multipliers though it would be pretty hard to say

Interesting, in some ways the Dreamcast was more powerful than the PS2, and that's not a huge difference.

I still wonder though which one was more powerful Xbox or Wii?.

I'm in now way an insider but the general consensus among the few guys in the know from the WUST's is it goes something like this (no one knows the clock speeds of the CPU's).

Wii -

IBM Single Core 'Hollywood' CPU.
GPU - 12 GFLOPS.
88MB's of Ram.

Wii U -

IBM Power 7 Tri Core CPU.
GPU - 500 - 600 GFLOPS
2GB's of Ram.

PS4 -

AMD 4 Core Jaguar CPU.
GPU - 1800 GFLOPS (1.8 TFLOPS)
2GB's of Ram (developers pushing for 4GB's).

720 -

AMD 4 Core Jaguar CPU.
GPU - 1500 GFLOPS (1.5 TFLOPS)
6GB's of Ram.

All in all the Wii U will be at least 30 times more powerful than the original Wii, 2 - 2.5 times as powerful as an Xbox 360 and PS4 / 720 will be 2.5 - 3 times more powerful than Wii U.

Were not going to see a massive graphical leap next gen imo (Avatar in real time lol), it will be the same kind of games with more detailed textures, better lighting, shadow, fire, explosion, particle effects and the game worlds should be bigger.

Still 720p / 30 fps.

A lot of people will be let down big style imo, think Star Wars 1313 / Watch Dogs rather than the FF / UE4 tech demo.

OryoN

Can't remember where i have read about this.

Wouldn't you just believe me on the word? :p

It was when it jumped out that, according to Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemont, developing for Wii U is not expensive.

Ok, Alfolla, I'm gonna save your ass, but not for free...You owe me one! :D

"http://http://www.theverge.com/gam...opment-cost-not-a-huge-investment-plans-more"

UbiSoft:
"We are not talking about games today, like we were spending on Ghost Recon or Assassin's Creed," Ubisoft execs explained. "So they are much smaller in terms of cost. As we've always said, when there is such innovation, the need is not to have big a production value but to concentrate on the innovation. This is what we are trying on Rayman and on ZombiU."

UbiSoft states that Wii U ports run them "less than a million Euro", while suggesting that though original Wii U games are a bit more, there are still significantly less than big-budget titles like Assassin's Creed 3.

Meelow

Banned
I'm in now way an insider but the general consensus among the few guys in the know from the WUST's is it goes something like this (no one knows the clock speeds of the CPU's).

Wii -

GPU - 12 GFLOPS.
88MB's of Ram.

Wii U -

GPU - 500 - 600 GFLOPS
2GB's of Ram.

PS4 -

AMD 4 Core Jaguar CPU.

720 -

AMD 4 Core Jaguar CPU.
6GB's of Ram.

All in all the Wii U will be at least 30 times more powerful than the original Wii, 2 - 2.5 times as powerful as an Xbox 360 and PS4 / 720 will be 2.5 - 3 times more powerful than Wii U.

Were not going to see a massive graphical leap next gen imo (Avatar in real time lol), it will be the same kind of games with more detailed textures, better lighting, shadow, fire, explosion, particle effects and the game worlds should be bigger.

Still 720p / 30 fps.

A lot of people will be let down big style imo, think Star Wars 1313 / Watch Dogs rather than the FF / UE4 tech demo.

That makes me happy, the people that say "the PS4 and Xbox 720 will outclass the Wii U like the PS3 and 360 did to the Wii" will be very disappointed, since the Wii/PS3/360 are the 7th generation and the PS3/360 where 25x+ more powerful than the Wii that was ridiculous, I'm glad the WiiU/PS4/720 are in the same range of power.

And yeah I remember that "Xbox 720 to produce Avatar like graphics", it would takes years to make a game even that close lol.

Wii is more powerful.

Good because it would of been really sad if the Xbox was more powerful

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Wii is more powerful.

Ehh. It was and it wasn't. The Xbox GPU was still more friendly and equipped for developers to use than the Wii's was. Even if the Wii beats out the Xbox in pure processing power, the fucking TEV held it back from achieving easy bump mapping and other goodies.

Lenardo

Banned
are you sure he meant yards and not feet in that 30 yard for the gamepad range,,,

ok perspective time.

30 yards, 90 feet. most streets are 50' wide(the road not just the pavement) most houses in suburbs are 25' back from street... so in the instance of where i live

i can have the wiiu in my living room. and can be on the steps in the yard across the street and using the wiiu gamepad.

most houses are ~42' long (14yards)x~28'wide

30 feet still imo would be great. would -essentially- enable the gamepad to be used throughout most of a house.

RedSwirl

Wii -

GPU - 12 GFLOPS.
88MB's of Ram.

Wii U -

GPU - 500 - 600 GFLOPS
2GB's of Ram.

PS4 -

AMD 4 Core Jaguar CPU.

720 -

AMD 4 Core Jaguar CPU.
6GB's of Ram.

Still 720p / 30 fps.

Doesn't that look kinda low compared to previous generational leaps? I'm not sure what those were, but traditionally weren't consoles typically something like 20 times as powerful as their predecessors?

If those rumors are true then we're looking at next gen consoles that are something like four-to-seven times as powerful as the current systems, which really doesn't sound like a lot (though in-line with rumors saying the next Xbox would be 5x the 360 roughly), especially when you've got John Carmack remarking at how last year's gaming PCs were 10x the current consoles. two-to-three times the difference in power from the Wii U sounds more like the difference between the Wii and the Gamecube. Why is this? Have heat generation and power consumption really gone up that much over the last few years?

As for my own expectations, a while ago I briefly looked up my computer to my TV and ran some games on it. It's a Q6600 with an HD6850. I could run The Witcher 2 nearly maxed out at 1080p and 30fps and Crysis 2 at max DX9 settings in 1080p. What I experienced would be acceptable for next gen consoles in my opinion. When I hooked up my controller to those games on my TV, I got a feeling similar to what I felt in the past upon playing new consoles for the first time.

Earendil

Ehh. It was and it wasn't. The Xbox GPU was still more friendly and equipped for developers to use than the Wii's was. Even if the Wii beats out the Xbox in pure processing power, the fucking TEV held it back from achieving easy bump mapping and other goodies.

For it's time, the TEV was brilliant. Emphasis on "For it's time"...

That makes me happy, the people that say "the PS4 and Xbox 720 will outclass the Wii U like the PS3 and 360 did to the Wii" will be very disappointed, since the Wii/PS3/360 are the 7th generation and the PS3/360 where 25x+ more powerful than the Wii that was ridiculous, I'm glad the WiiU/PS4/720 are in the same range of power.

And yeah I remember that "Xbox 720 to produce Avatar like graphics", it would takes years to make a game even that close lol.

Good because it would of been really sad if the Xbox was more powerful

Just be aware none of the info i posted is 'confirmed' it's a mash of leaks, rumours and speculation from Neogaf in general.

tkscz

Doesn't that look kinda low compared to previous generational leaps? I'm not sure what those were, but traditionally weren't consoles typically something like 20 times as powerful as their predecessors?

If those rumors are true then we're looking at next gen consoles that are something like four-to-seven times as powerful as the current systems, which really doesn't sound like a lot (though in-line with rumors saying the next Xbox would be 5x the 360 roughly), especially when you've got John Carmack remarking at how last year's gaming PCs were 10x the current consoles. two-to-three times the difference in power from the Wii U sounds more like the difference between the Wii and the Gamecube. Why is this? Have heat generation and power consumption really gone up that much over the last few years?

As for my own expectations, a while ago I briefly looked up my computer to my TV and ran some games on it. It's a Q6600 with an HD6850. I could run The Witcher 2 nearly maxed out at 1080p and 30fps and Crysis 2 at max DX9 settings in 1080p. What I experienced would be acceptable for next gen consoles in my opinion. When I hooked up my controller to those games on my TV, I got a feeling similar to what I felt in the past upon playing new consoles for the first time.

I really am not sure how many times it was said on gaf, but the views of what next gen will be are set far too high, many people will be let down. As to why, I guess it's just because there is no real reason to jump that far.

First, generation jumps haven't usually been that big. Even SNES - N64 wasn't a 20X jump, but that's all because the tech wasn't really affordable or ready for console use. From last to this gen, the tech became ready. Multicore CPUs, GDDR3 RAM, GPU's with all kinds of shaders. That was purely PC stuff in the past. Now that consoles have it, well... there just isn't a way to affordabley make that kind of jump again, nor would it be to much purpose.

Meelow

Banned

I wonder what Nintendo was thinking when they where developing the Wii "You know what, nobody really wants a huge leap in power so lets just let Sony and Microsoft do all that while we make the Wii an overclocked GameCube"? lol.

I agree, the people expecting the PS4 and Xbox 720 to be 20x more powerful like the PS3 and 360 will be very disappointed, the only huge graphical jump like that will be the Wii U from the Wii, and that's 30x more powerful.

Here we go. Not really a secret anymore but...

http://wii.mmgn.com/News/black-ops-2-heading-to-wii-u

It says it's coming out with the X360/PS3/PC versions so that helps the October release even more.

If Sony in particular were to go for the 10 x power leap again (PS2 - PS3) they would be out of the gaming business before the end of the generation imo.

Selling a $900 console for $600 didn't really work out too well for them financially at the start of this gen, combine that with the awful PS Vita sales which has only just past 2 million (they predicted 10 million sales in it's first year) and they will want to only be losing around $100 per PS4 at the most (which means closer to 5 times the power of PS3 instead of 10).

You're right tho in terms of heat becoming a major factor in how powerful consoles can become, gaming PC's may be 30+ times more powerful than PS360 but they have massive cases with up to 4 fans constantly cooling and throwing heat of up to 80 degrees out of the massive air vents.

One of the major reasons i think even PS4 and 720 will stick with 720p is heat, 720p also uses a lot less of you're resources when tbh 95% of your customers don't even know the difference between 720p and 1080p full HD.

Also don't be alarmed at how much Ram the 720 has, in my view it's because MS are trying to make that console the one stop shop for everything - movies, music, HD TV, recording HDTV, live sport and of course gaming. I think it will also run a cut down version of Windows 8 aswell.

PS4 and 720 exclusive games will look fantastic but then again so will Nintendo's.

As i said a lot of PS360 gamers are expecting another Wii - PS360 generation, they are in for a real shock.

If Nintendo manage to get multi platform games next gen (and that's a massive if), think of Wii U being the PC version on low graphics settings and the PS4 / 720 version on medium with the PC as always on High if you have a high end gaming rig.

I expect both Sony and MS to really, really struggle to shift hardware early on in the next generation, the fact is a lot of people bought a 360 for CoD MP (which people will be tired of by the time the sixth version of it arrives this winter) and a lot of people bought the PS3 partly because of the Blu Ray playback.

None of the big three will sell anywhere near this generations numbers imho, Nintendo will be ahead by 10 - 15 million consoles by the time MS and Sony arrive and finish on 40 - 50 million, way down from 100 million and the PS4 / 720 will sell around 25 - 40 million, way down from 70 million.

If Sony in particular were to go for the 10 x power leap again (PS2 - PS3) they would be out of the gaming business before the end of the generation imo.

Selling a $900 console for $600 didn't really work out too well for them financially at the start of this gen, combine that with the awful PS Vita sales which has only just past 2 million (they predicted 10 million sales in it's first year) and they will want to only be losing around $100 per PS4 at the most (which means closer to 5 times the power of PS3 instead of 10).

You realize that the 360 which was identical in specs to the ps3 sold for significantly less at $299-$399. There was a reason why, and it wasn't power.

jmizzal

Here we go. Not really a secret anymore but...

http://wii.mmgn.com/News/black-ops-2-heading-to-wii-u

Bout time, I hope it has Wiimote controls so I can play online and own fools lol

It says 007 Legends coming to Wii huh lol

This will not be a normal generation jump, with how high development cost are and companies going out of business and a lot of devs going F2P, they cant afford to have a huge leap not MS, Sony or Nintendo.

Meelow

Banned

You're right tho in terms of heat becoming a major factor in how powerful consoles can become, gaming PC's may be 30+ times more powerful than PS360 but they have massive cases with up to 4 fans constantly cooling and throwing heat of up to 80 degrees out of the massive air vents.

One of the major reasons i think even PS4 and 720 will stick with 720p is heat, 720p also uses a lot less of you're resources when tbh 95% of your customers don't even know the difference between 720p and 1080p full HD.

Also don't be alarmed at how much Ram the 720 has, in my view it's because MS are trying to make that console the one stop shop for everything - movies, music, HD TV, recording HDTV, live sport and of course gaming. I think it will also run a cut down version of Windows 8 aswell.

PS4 and 720 exclusive games will look fantastic but then again so will Nintendo's.

As i said a lot of PS360 gamers are expecting another Wii - PS360 generation, they are in for a real shock.

If Nintendo manage to get multi platform games next gen (and that's a massive if), think of Wii U being the PC version on low graphics settings and the PS4 / 720 version on medium with the PC as always on High if you have a high end gaming rig.

I expect both Sony and MS to really, really struggle to shift hardware early on in the next generation, the fact is a lot of people bought a 360 for CoD MP (which people will be tired of by the time the sixth version of it arrives this winter) and a lot of people bought the PS3 partly because of the Blu Ray playback.

None of the big three will sell anywhere near this generations numbers imho, Nintendo will be ahead by 10 - 15 million consoles by the time MS and Sony arrive and finish on 40 - 50 million, way down from 100 million and the PS4 / 720 will sell around 25 - 40 million, way down from 70 million.

If the sales are like that than I imagine articles saying "are consoles over?", this generation has been the most successful generation in sales and in the 6th generation their where 4 consoles instead of 3, that means something.

I hope the WiiU/PS4/720 sell much more than just 25-50 million.

You realize that the 360 which was identical in specs to the ps3 sold for significantly less at $299-$399. There was a reason why, and it wasn't power.

I never mentioned PS3 being any more powerful than the 360 ?.

PS3 cost a ton of money to build because of the at the time cutting edge Cell CPU and the Blu Ray drive, i've read estimates on here that PS3 cost $900 to build and they were losing $300 per console sold in the first year.

Then again MS lost over a billion dollars to the red ring of death so they won't want to go for another massive power leap either which will again lead to overheating and hardware failures.

If the sales are like that than I imagine articles saying "are consoles over?", this generation has been the most successful generation in sales and in the 6th generation their where 4 consoles instead of 3, that means something.

I hope the WiiU/PS4/720 sell much more than just 25-50 million.

So do i but a lot of consumers this generation were first time, extremely casual gamers, compare the sales of the Wii to the Gamecube and tell me it was because the Wii's library of amazing must have games was the reason it sold almost 80 million more consoles than the Gamecube.

This generations consoles sold a ton to really casual gamers -

70 million Wii consoles - Motion control craze.
30 million 360 consoles - CoD MP craze and Kinect.
30 million PS3 consoles - Massive audience from the PS2's success and the lure of a 'free' Blu Ray player.

Now the question is will all of them want to upgrade ?, esp when there is not a massive leap in visuals ? and there is now the Iphone / Ipad / Android devices which offer very cheap casual experiences and free to play games vying for their attention, some of them will of course upgrade but imo most of those 130 million extreme casual customers won't, esp not at the start of the generation when PS4 and the 720 are $400.

If CoD, Madden, Fifa ect continue to be released for the PS360 for at least the next few years and they already have a Blu Ray player and Kinect there is simply no reason for the extreme casual consumer to buy either a PS4 or 720.

The Wii U is in the best position out of all three imo because it looks to me like they are splitting their audience into 50 / 50 core, casual and they have the tablet controller and off screen play as the 'hook'.

Meelow

Banned
So do i but a lot of consumers this generation were first time, extremely casual gamers, compare the sales of the Wii to the Gamecube and tell me it was because the Wii's library of amazing must have games was the reason it sold almost 80 million more consoles than the Gamecube.

This generations consoles sold a ton to really casual gamers -

70 million Wii consoles - Motion control craze.
30 million 360 consoles - CoD MP craze and Kinect.
30 million PS3 consoles - Massive audience from the PS2's success and the lure of a 'free' Blu Ray player.

Now the question is will all of them want to upgrade ?, esp when there is not a massive leap in visuals ? and there is now the Iphone / Ipad / Android devices which offer very cheap casual experiences and free to play games vying for their attention, some of them will of course upgrade but imo most of those 130 million extreme casual customers won't, esp not at the start of the generation when PS4 and the 720 are $400.

If CoD, Madden, Fifa ect continue to be released for the PS360 for at least the next few years and they already have a Blu Ray player and Kinect there is simply no reason for the extreme casual consumer to buy either a PS4 or 720.

The Wii U is in the best position out of all three imo because it looks to me like they are splitting their audience into 50 / 50 core, casual and they have the tablet controller and off screen play as the 'hook'.

That is true, I do know COD lovers will jump to next gen consoles because they will want more COD with better graphics, if Microsoft stops making Kinect games on the 360 and make games for Kinect 2 on Xbox 720 that can help sells, and the Wii U Gamepad will also help sells since all the things it can do, and since it can play only on the controller as well that could help.

As for the PS4, I feel Sony really needs to do something innovative with the controller and make the DS4 the second option, since the Wii U has the Gamepad and much more popular Wiimote with the Pro controller, and Microsoft has Kinect 2 and an most likely upgraded 360 controller for the 720, Sony really needs to do something too.

Why are 007 Legends and Skylanders listed as Wii games?

Skylanders is also coming to Wii, I have no idea why they put 007 though, hopefully it's coming to Wii U.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom