• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

big_erk

I'm assuming you're one of the people who didn't realise every time you opened the item select menu or started aiming it was calibrated to where you were currently pointing and worked relative to that.
As soon as I figured that out (it took about five minutes) I don't think I ever had to recalibrate manually again.

Once I realized this, the game flowed seamlessly for me as well. I'm amazed that many people still are not able to figure this out.

There isn't 90 days between now and the middle of September!
BOOM!

mmhmm, thats why i believe they will eventually have to converge, with the option to play on bigger screen. Clearly, the Wii U(and to a lesser extent, cross play) is close to this as it is and is the natural stepping stone to this inevitability. OR~ Maybe each console in the generation after next will have the option to be handheld or 'at home' where you choose if you want it portable or not, but it has exactly same games for each.
What I envision is a handheld device that holds the processing circuitry that plugs into a dock that provides all the funtionality and ports of a full blown home console.

jmizzal

I never had to calibrate the wii motion plus during skyward sword. Makes me wonder if ppl have a lot of wireless interference in their living rooms with smart tv's, routers, computers, cordless phones, cell phones, etc being mostly located in a living room or bedroom.

I had no issues with SS controls either, people must thought they were IR.

Zelda SS is the most fun game I have played this Gen

I really hated it I am afraid. In fact, its one of the few Nintendo games I didn't like and it's absolutely the ONLY Nintendo game ever that I hated.

Wind Waker forever.

big_erk

I had no issues with SS controls either, people must thought they were IR.

Zelda SS is the most fun game I have played this Gen

I think people have a hard time separating IR from the experience. I know when I use my PS3 BD remote I still point it at the system even though I know I don't have to.

onilink88

Because the game wasn't very good. At all.

By any conceivably competent metric (aside from the dull thing- can't tell you what constitutes exciting and what doesn't), what you said does not apply to SS. You're free to not like the game, but it's a country mile from being bad.

I had no issues with any calibration with the game. It needs correcting by press Up or whatever it was now and again, but that's the same with PS Move so its a non-issue. However, I don't think having motion controls added anything to the game that couldn't be done with "normal" controls. It was done well, and certainly mapped well, but it didn't offer anything better over regular controls. In general though, Zelda needs a massive kick up its arse.

Well it is my sort of game, it totally is. Ocarina and Wind Waker are very much loved by me, they are amazing (WW being one of my favourite games ever), but I really didn't like Twilight Princess and as I said, I actually hated Skyward Sword. But 3D adventure games are my sort of games, and I thought SS was a bad one. The genre has changed radically over the last few years and Nintendo need to catch up.

The_Lump

Banned
Well it is my sort of game, it totally is. Ocarina and Wind Waker are very much loved by me, they are amazing (WW being one of my favourite games ever), but I really didn't like Twilight Princess and as I said, I actually hated Skyward Sword. But 3D adventure games are my sort of games, and I thought SS was a bad one.

Im not saying this whole genre isn't your type of game, just this particular title. It's evidently not your type of game, given that you hate it :p

Anyway, my point was that a games quality and your opinion of it don't always have to marry up. You can hate it without it being 'bad'.

To bring it on topic, what would you like to see improved for wiiu Zelda?

Im not saying this whole genre isn't your type of game, just this particular title. It's evidently not your type of game, given that you hate it :p

Anyway, my point was that a games quality and your opinion of it don't always have to marry up. You can hate it without it being 'bad'.

I would love Nintendo to look at Demon/Dark Souls, Witcher, and even Skyrim for inspiration on how to take the series. I like the dungeon structure of Zelda but it could be so much more than it is now. They should have some balls and try something fresh for the series. Apart from a few things it really hasn't changed since Ocarina of Time and in videogame time that's about one thousand years.

Hmm... can we get out of the SS talk?
lol
Maybe something like predictions about Nintendo Direct... or did you guys already do that?
Is it too crazy for me to expect some Japanese games announced?
Is it absolutely crazy for me to think TWEWY 2 might be on Wii U?

Hmm... can we get out of the SS talk?
lol
Maybe something like predictions about Nintendo Direct... or did you guys already do that?
Is it too crazy for me to expect some Japanese games announced?
Is ti absolutely crazy for me to think TWEWY 2 might be on Wii U?

For sure. I want to know when the fuck P-100 is coming out. Also, do we know about audio support on the system? I know video is vague at the moment other than "it supports 1080p", but in that style have Nintedo said "It supports 7.1" etc?

Meelow

Banned
Ubisoft's achievement thing. Just saw it on AC2 on 360 not too long ago.

^This, Uplay is apart of Ubisoft and from the leaked picture a few days ago Nintendo's version of Achievements/Trophies will be called "Accomplishments".

untitledjxjiv.jpg

RedSwirl

Since NSMB2 came out today and marked Nintendo's foray into full game DD, how well do you really think they'll be able to carry this out going forward?

My one main problem with how Nintendo handles things is that I wonder how much of their audience will actually know they can buy NSMB2 digitally? On Xbox and PlayStation new store content is advertised on the front page as soon as you boot up the console. This is not true for the Wii or even the 3DS - you actually have to select the eShop icon and then wait for it to boot up. It still feels like you're actually logging onto the internet whereas with PSN and especially XBL the entrance into the storefront is seamless.

Hopefully Nintendo does well enough to establish a standard for console gaming going forward.

^This, Uplay is apart of Ubisoft and from the leaked picture a few days ago Nintendo's version of Achievements/Trophies will be called "Accomplishments".

untitledjxjiv.jpg

This is rather nitpicky, but Accomplishments doesn't roll off the tongue quite as well as Achievements or Trophies. I like the Trophy system more than the Achievement system, so I hope Accomplishments function more similarly to the former.

Of course, they could just be congratulatory messages, and I'd be fine with that. I just don't want a numerical score tacked onto it.

mimho

Something that if more people agreed, then life on the Internet (and not only) would be better.

Personal example, I do not like the pizza, but I'd be stupid to say "The pizza sucks"

For me improving Zelda is -> more dungeons, nothing more.

On Xbox and PlayStation new store content is advertised on the front page as soon as you boot up the console. This is not true for the Wii or even the 3DS - you actually have to select the eShop icon and then wait for it to boot up. It still feels like you're actually logging onto the internet whereas with PSN and especially XBL the entrance into the storefront is seamless.

You don't have to go into the eShop to see information like that - your 3DS will start glowing its message light, and will put a blue dot on the message icon. You can then click that to see the message "New Super Mario 2 now available to download! Click here..."

This stuff has long been general knowledge. Let's see, here's one with Iwata stating that the Wii U will only be packed with one Gamepad and they won't be sold separately (there's another Miyamoto quote somewhere giving similar information, including "if we wanted multiple controllers to be a big thing, we would have had the Wii-U use 3DS").

Here's some more info from Reggie, such as "The ability to view and play Wii U games on the GamePad screen rather than on a TV screen is a "capability [that] is there for every game but it's a developer's choice if they want that to be part of the experience." Nintendo calls it Off-TV Play and the feature will likely be flagged on Wii U game boxes."

"The majority of Nintendo-published Wii U games will be downloadable from the E-Shop store on launch day" - I thought it was all, but Nintendo was careful to say "the majority"

Cheers mate.

Meelow

Banned
This is rather nitpicky, but Accomplishments doesn't roll off the tongue quite as well as Achievements or Trophies. I like the Trophy system more than the Achievement system, so I hope Accomplishments function more similarly to the former.

Of course, they could just be congratulatory messages, and I'd be fine with that. I just don't want a numerical score tacked onto it.

I'm fine with the name, I'm happy Nintendo's not going to reuse Achievements or Trophies and they are making their brand of Achievements/Trophies.

Sheroking

I would love Nintendo to look at Demon/Dark Souls, Witcher, and even Skyrim for inspiration on how to take the series. I like the dungeon structure of Zelda but it could be so much more than it is now. They should have some balls and try something fresh for the series. Apart from a few things it really hasn't changed since Ocarina of Time and in videogame time that's about one thousand years.

You know, for a fairly widespread belief, I don't see a single significant detail to back that up and never have. Literally everything has changed from iteration to iteration of Zelda. Twilight Princess is likely the only regressive entry in the series, due to popular demand, and even that had many different gameplay elements.

The visuals have changed, the structure has changed, the controls have changed, the story structure and overworld dynamic have changed, the timeline and sidequest structure has changed.

Short of being a game starring a dude in a green cloak, pilfering through dungeons to accomplish a greater goal of saving the world, those games are VERY different.

Big pass on Zelda taking cues from Witcher and Skyrim too. Empty and soulless is not how I want a Zelda game to feel, and really, the only thing I'd like from Dark Souls is more a difficult curve.

Aguila

#ICONIC
Where is that Nintendo Direct announcement?

*paces around room in desperation*

Where do they announce this stuff? Twitter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom