• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since NSMB2 came out today and marked Nintendo's foray into full game DD, how well do you really think they'll be able to carry this out going forward?

My one main problem with how Nintendo handles things is that I wonder how much of their audience will actually know they can buy NSMB2 digitally? On Xbox and PlayStation new store content is advertised on the front page as soon as you boot up the console. This is not true for the Wii or even the 3DS - you actually have to select the eShop icon and then wait for it to boot up. It still feels like you're actually logging onto the internet whereas with PSN and especially XBL the entrance into the storefront is seamless.

Hopefully Nintendo does well enough to establish a standard for console gaming going forward.

In my ideal situation the Wii U has a nice boot up sequence (the one at E3 2011 was pretty cool where the blue square kind of morphs into a U), then there is a standard main menu with the Miiverse on the Tablet controller.

On the main menu screen would be the usual options, one of which would be the Eshop with the latest offers flashing on them similar to XBL and PSN.

Other options could include 'Apps', 'Movies', 'Current Game Disc', 'Browser', 'Youtube', 'View your profile' ect.

Having a professional looking menu, solid online environment and some sort of Achievements / Trophies included in your personal profile will be a huge part of winning over the more 'core' gamers who are used to playing on the PS360 imo.

We already know what games are coming out for the system in it's first three months, i want to know about the OS, Online ect aswell as the release date and price of course.

We all know great games are out at launch and will come in the future, i just hope they don't botch all the other features i have mentioned as they seem to be just as important to people as the actual games nowadays.

Something that if more people agreed, then life on the Internet (and not only) would be better.

Personal example, I do not like the pizza, but I'd be stupid to say "The pizza sucks"

I agree with this rather wholeheartedly. There's a difference between objective fact and subjective opinion, and people tend to linguistically express the latter as the former.

For me improving Zelda is -> more dungeons, nothing more.

I'm curious, but does this mean that you would like a Zelda made entirely of dungeon?

MarkusRJR

What're the dimensions of the Wii U? I'm running out of room in my set-up and I'm curious. I have been already considering skipping the Wii U and if I can't fit it into my current set-up then I might as well skip it.

Terrell

This is rather nitpicky, but Accomplishments doesn't roll off the tongue quite as well as Achievements or Trophies. I like the Trophy system more than the Achievement system, so I hope Accomplishments function more similarly to the former.

Of course, they could just be congratulatory messages, and I'd be fine with that. I just don't want a numerical score tacked onto it.

I think part of it is a nomenclature issue. Achievements and Trophies demand a predetermined goal. An Accomplishment is a completion of any activity without a goal needing to be present.

This distinction is required, as Miiverse's demo during the pre-E3 Nintendo Direct has already shown an Accomplishment that has no equivalent in XBL or PSN: time rankings on stage completions in NSMB2. In that sense, every new time record is an "Accomplishment", that doesn't demand being pre-baked into the game.

This also leads me to believe that Nintendo's implementation will lack a gamerscore, as you can't make proper metrics for completion from random undefined variables.

Thoughts?

Er guise... what does U-Play Action Completed means on a Wii U game?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hho31kE5SNQ&feature=player_detailpage#t=58s

Thanks for the video link !.

Is anyone else really impressed with the graphics in Rabbids Land ?, thought the game board and the ghost mansion game were really nice looking, awesome lighting effects.

The Guitar Hero type game with a twist looked like a lot of fun aswell.

Could Ubisoft actually blow Nintendo's own games away at launch ?

Rabbids Land > Nintendo Land / Rayman Legends > NSMB U ;).

Dr.Hadji

You know, for a fairly widespread belief, I don't see a single significant detail to back that up and never have. Literally everything has changed from iteration to iteration of Zelda. Twilight Princess is likely the only regressive entry in the series, due to popular demand, and even that had many different gameplay elements.

The visuals have changed, the structure has changed, the controls have changed, the story structure and overworld dynamic have changed, the timeline and sidequest structure has changed.

Short of being a game starring a dude in a green cloak, pilfering through dungeons to accomplish a greater goal of saving the world, those games are VERY different.

Big pass on Zelda taking cues from Witcher and Skyrim too. Empty and soulless is not how I want a Zelda game to feel, and really, the only thing I'd like from Dark Souls is more a difficult curve.

Hey, I like you. And also. I'm kind of tired of people saying Nintendo doesn't take risks with Zelda. I would think changing your control scheme to be completely touch or rely heavily on motion controls is a big risk. But because it doesn't change in the way you'd like suddenly their "playing it safe".

I think part of it is a nomenclature issue. Achievements and Trophies demand a predetermined goal. An Accomplishment is a completion of any activity without a goal needing to be present.

This distinction is required, as Miiverse's demo during the pre-E3 Nintendo Direct has already shown an Accomplishment that has no equivalent in XBL or PSN: time rankings on stage completions in NSMB2. In that sense, every new time record is an "Accomplishment", that doesn't demand being pre-baked into the game.

This also leads me to believe that Nintendo's implementation will lack a gamerscore, as you can't make proper metrics for completion from random undefined variables.

Thoughts?

Achievements and Trophies are really, really popular on the HD twins, to the point where people actually buy bad games that are easy to max out.

Nintendo should have simply went with some sort of Star system for Wii U imo, 20 Stars for this, 50 for that and when you hit 1000 Stars you 'Supernova' the game or something, pretty much a direct rip off of Achievements mixed with Nintendo's obsession with Space.

The console should have been called the Wii Universe aswell if they were intent on sticking with the Wii brand name :p.

What're the dimensions of the Wii U? I'm running out of room in my set-up and I'm curious. I have been already considering skipping the Wii U and if I can't fit it into my current set-up then I might as well skip it.

http://e3.nintendo.com/wiiu/

"Approximately 1.8 inches high, 10.5 inches deep and 6.8 inches long."

I've already expressed the opinion that Ubisoft is the Wii U's first party developer.

Something that if more people agreed, then life on the Internet (and not only) would be better.

Personal example, I do not like the pizza, but I'd be stupid to say "The pizza sucks"

For me improving Zelda is -> more dungeons, nothing more.

You sir, are my intellectual equal. Perhaps you are even superior.

And another thing, Skyward Sword doesnt fail because it doesnt live up to the ideal of those who want Dark Souls from it. The goals set by the team i believe were met fully. They dont want it brutally difficult and anyone hanging around waiting for that is going to have a hard life of Zelda. Anyone also expecting massive sprawling worlds with huge draw distances on the Wii like Skyrim will also be disappointed. Believe it or not i think Skyrim looks bad and boring. Yeah the forest looks like a real forest... so what i got forest all over in real life. I look for things in games that i havent seen in real life, environments etc.

Whenever people take dumps on SS they ALWAYS follow it up with "i wish it was Skyrim" etc. For me, i thought SS was perhaps not the longest, most fully realized, or most perfect game. But i also think it is incredibly well done in many ways, even innovative beyond anything on ps3 or xbox360. The soundtrack in SS is second to none. If SS is any indication of the types of things we will see more fleshed out on Wii U Zelda then ill be more than happy. I guess what it all comes down to is "did you like the tone of the game?" And i did. I loved it. The first time you are in some of those environments and hearing the soundtrack for the first time... theres some brilliant stuff there. Maybe i am overly sensitive to subtlety. I loved it. It was like Mario Galaxy for me as far as the overall experience goes.

For some people a fetch quest is a boring cheap artificial lengthening tactic. For others, its a chance to explore the brilliant environments further and hearing the music etc etc. Thats what "playing" a game is.

Banned
I agree with this rather wholeheartedly. There's a difference between objective fact and subjective opinion, and people tend to linguistically express the latter as the former.

I'm curious, but does this mean that you would like a Zelda made entirely of dungeon?
His Zelda formula is "Something...something....something...Dungeon"

Go play portal if you want an entire game of dungeons.

It doesn't have to have a score attached to it, but you have to have some form of a standardised metric for a cross-game achievement system to have any sort of meaning.

Thanks for the video link !.

Is anyone else really impressed with the graphics in Rabbids Land ?, thought the game board and the ghost mansion game were really nice looking, awesome lighting effects.

The Guitar Hero type game with a twist looked like a lot of fun aswell.

Rabbids Land > Nintendo Land / Rayman Legends > NSMB U ;).
Yea it looks real close to the cg stuff to me.

No Nintendo Direct announced?! Nintendo sucks. Waiting till September confirmed. [/overreaction]

Nintendo announces ND ten minutes after post to make this look bad.

Kacho

Oh sweet. So there is still hope for an announcement tonight. Mini-hype.

Also, sucks about Azak. Glad to hear his ban is short.

Terrell

It doesn't have to have a score attached to it, but you have to have some form of a standardised metric for a cross-game achievement system to have any sort of meaning.
Time trials are measured in the same value. That's a standardization without a reliance on points systems.
Moreso than Achievements, where you can get them for STARTING A GAME (I WISH I was kidding). That's a perfect example of a skewed metric, since achievements have value set arbitrarily from game to game.

jacksrb

Since NSMB2 came out today and marked Nintendo's foray into full game DD, how well do you really think they'll be able to carry this out going forward?

My one main problem with how Nintendo handles things is that I wonder how much of their audience will actually know they can buy NSMB2 digitally? On Xbox and PlayStation new store content is advertised on the front page as soon as you boot up the console. This is not true for the Wii or even the 3DS - you actually have to select the eShop icon and then wait for it to boot up. It still feels like you're actually logging onto the internet whereas with PSN and especially XBL the entrance into the storefront is seamless.

Hopefully Nintendo does well enough to establish a standard for console gaming going forward.

I think this is one of the big initiatives that they hope the mii verse plaza will help alleviate - bringing other games you may be interested in (including eShop games) and increase the software tie ratio. I would love to see some download ticket/voucher for an NES game or something to encourage people to get their Wii U online from day one.

Daknight

Moments like this deserve some pop-corn...even if there is no ND announcement. It'll feel like being in line to get the Wii to have the last one sold to the person in front of you (didn't happen to me, THANK GOD, since I preorder).

Here is to waiting and hoping!

RAWi

So... everyone is waiting for an answer from Heaven (Nintendo)? Haha.

I don't really think that there will be much information for the Wii U on the next Nintendo Directo, there will be a major focus on 3DS and XL. Maybe one or two things will be said about the Wii U (which still would be awesome!).

If I am right, then a Nintendo Conference will be held in September, before TGS (September 20-23rd) like all years; and in that Conference is when everything will be revealed. All info that the consumer should know about games, their release dates, and the upcoming games for 2013, and so on.

:D hope I am wrong and we get soon everything!

Would it really cost them that much more money to make better wall/object textures? I was surprised by the lack of detail in the recent demo....

I wouldn't worry about that too much. The Gamescom Buckingham Palace demo was an early build of a new demo. Cast your mind back and compare the E3 2012 Nursery demo with the much improved Comic Con Nursery demo a month later and we'll see a similar improvement at either TGS or during Nintendo's Fall Conference...and it will continue to improve before release. The RC should look pretty good the way things are going.

Aguila

#ICONIC
I'm reggie for the announcement.

Tskd8.jpg

So nothing today, huh?
Oh, man.

Yeah, just wait.....

jerd

I've developed this habit of being as pessimistic as possible in regards to Nintendo news. Therefore, I do not expect any news about the Wii U until November 3rd, exactly 10 days before the console launches in the US. The September conference as well as both Nintendo Directs taking place before that Will be entirely about the 3DS as well as the relaunch of the Light Telephone:

50k_03.jpg

Its working out well so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom