• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stewox

Banned
Yes but Rage is not a Wii U launch title.

Doesn't matter, the point is that if it's 60FPS on current gen it will look a lot better if you add 1GB more RAM is so much needs, not to mention modern hardware how much better would it look, but the downside of WiiU is another thing of this tradeoff with Rage tech, the load performance > USB2.0

Check my post again it's updated, I forgot to click submit when I went afk.

D-e-f-

Banned
Doesn't matter, the point is that if it's 60FPS on current gen it will look a lot better if you add 1GB more RAM is so much needs, not to mention modern hardware how much better would it look, but the downside of WiiU is another thing of this tradeoff with Rage tech, the load performance > USB2.0

Check my post again it's updated, I forgot to click submit when I went afk.

But why are you talking about Rage? We were in the process of guessing what game Kenny's friend is working on and the hints involved that it's announced, 60fps, multiplatform, out around launch.

You're quoting that post and then start talking about RAM and Rage and that's confusing :)

Stewox

Banned
But why are you talking about Rage? We were in the process of guessing what game Kenny's friend is working on and the hints involved that it's announced, 60fps, multiplatform, out around launch.

You're quoting that post and then start talking about RAM and Rage and that's confusing :)

It is a reply to point out the exception of 60FPS games that are not "platformers, fighting, or racing" in genre.

This kind of technology will also be in Doom4 as well as using overall updated idtech5 and a new GFX engine ... so if D4 ever gets on WiiU, USB2 could be a major cause behind the watering down or issues with texture loading.

Sorry I am on posting on Wii and it's hard to edit quotes here. My PC is broken down for upgrade for some time now and I won't get new hardware anytime soon since I don't buy cheap stuff.
Well honestly it's practically nonexistant because i sold motherboard, DDR2 RAM and processor so when it's all done it'll be a new PC, and that what I do, i get rid of the HW sooner as I follow tech news, so I get stuck with very old HW that has no sell value at that time.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Whenever I find myself wishing that the Wii U was more powerful, I just think about this:

Super-Mario-Galaxy-2-Screenshot-2.jpg

Nintendo-Lanzo-S%25C3%25BAper-Mario-Galaxy-2.jpg

1321713-xenoblade_20landscape_1__super.png

ss_03.png

donkey_kong_country_returns_review.jpg

And then I realize that Nintendo did a lot of things on vastly underpowered hardware. I think we'll have plenty of beautiful stuff to look at.

I don't think most people are worried about 1st party games. Nintendo games in HD, that's enough to get a lot of people excited even if they look a bit dated. The problem comes with 3rd parties and being able to support other next gen games.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I really, honestly believe people are understating what will be accomplished with next generation graphics processing. I do see where the argument comes from, but I think it's moot in face of the fact the games will, by visual presentation, impress people. I think in terms of highly detailed large scale environments, physics, lighting/shadows, particle effects, and the complexity of a given scene people will be blown away, and feel it is indeed a leap over current generation capabilities.

The limitations of current generation consoles are hidden fairly well when using micro levels, but as soon as you start opening things up and demanding more complexity on a greater scale the limitations become obvious. People might not be blown away by something like the UE4 tech demo, but I assure you if you're playing something with that graphical fidelity, able to explore those distant snowy mountains in real time with that detail, the difference will be felt.

But I guess that's an underlying philosophy I have when it comes to being impressed by games. In still, and even via trailers, graphics are not as impressive as when you're sitting there, controller in hand, interacting with the world yourself, controlling the camera, and navigating the environments.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I don't think most people are worried about 1st party games. Nintendo games in HD, that's enough to get a lot of people excited even if they look a bit dated. The problem comes with 3rd parties and being able to support other next gen games.

This is the issue.

Though I wonder if any 3rd parties are keeping in mind what happened last time - they ignored the Wii, focused all leading development resources on the PS360, then found they had nothing but C-team produced shovelware to take advantage of the Wii's immense success.

As many people have said these last few years, there was money on the table for 3rd parties if they would have been in a position to respond more quickly to the surprise hit the Wii represented.

While we can never know what might have been at this point, I tend to agree with the conjecture that early, terrible 3rd party efforts on the Wii essentially burned a lot of the Wii audience. Helping create the self-fulfilling prophesy that "Wii owners only buy Nintendo games" - because Wii owners knew Nintendo games were actually good. Thus, by the time the occasional good 3rd party title appeared, such as Red Steel II (so cursed by its name), they were mostly ignored.

Save the games that successfully marketed themselves to the family audience on the Wii, such as Just Dance.

Personally, I tend to think Wii U will be off to a better start since many of the "big name" games currently out will also appear on it. There may be a new window for 3rd parties to take advantage of here, depending on Wii U's initial success.

Meelow

Banned
This is the issue.

Though I wonder if any 3rd parties are keeping in mind what happened last time - they ignored the Wii, focused all leading development resources on the PS360, then found they had nothing but C-team produced shovelware to take advantage of the Wii's immense success.

As many people have said these last few years, there was money on the table for 3rd parties if they would have been in a position to respond more quickly to the surprise hit the Wii represented.

While we can never know what might have been at this point, I tend to agree with the conjecture that early, terrible 3rd party efforts on the Wii essentially burned a lot of the Wii audience. Helping create the self-fulfilling prophesy that "Wii owners only buy Nintendo games" - because Wii owners knew Nintendo games were actually good. Thus, by the time the occasional good 3rd party title appeared, such as Red Steel II (so cursed by its name), they were mostly ignored.

Save the games that successfully marketed themselves to the family audience on the Wii, such as Just Dance.

Personally, I tend to think Wii U will be off to a better start since many of the "big name" games currently out will also appear on it. There may be a new window for 3rd parties to take advantage of here, depending on Wii U's initial success.

I agree, third party's can't ignore the Wii U like they did with the Wii, third party's need to learn that developing for Nintendo systems will make them money as well.

D-e-f-

Banned
latest 8-4 Play podcast while talking about Dragon Quest X on Wii U:

"... and we know they've got some big stuff lined up for Wii U in Japan" [their emphasis]

it's a general comment about online games, not talking about DQX specifically.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.

"... and we know they've got some big stuff lined up for Wii U in Japan" [their emphasis]

Do you know when in the podcast that was made? Would like to listen to it myself..

schuelma

They can and, for the most part, probably will, unless PS4/Durango sell so poorly out of the gate as to force a drastic reevaluation of their next-gen development strategies.

Are we talking the West or Japan?

nordique

That, we will have to wait and see

The issue in my opinion is less whether the hardware could or could not (I think some of us might be underestimating the Wii U's feature set)

But the bigger thing is will publishers support the Nintnedo platform on the same level as the others, or will it be lacking as it has been in some ways since the SNES days

Edit: under a habs fan?????

;)

I really, honestly believe people are understating what will be accomplished with next generation graphics processing. I do see where the argument comes from, but I think it's moot in face of the fact the games will, by visual presentation, impress people. I think in terms of highly detailed large scale environments, physics, lighting/shadows, particle effects, and the complexity of a given scene people will be blown away, and feel it is indeed a leap over current generation capabilities.

The limitations of current generation consoles are hidden fairly well when using micro levels, but as soon as you start opening things up and demanding more complexity on a greater scale the limitations become obvious. People might not be blown away by something like the UE4 tech demo, but I assure you if you're playing something with that graphical fidelity, able to explore those distant snowy mountains in real time with that detail, the difference will be felt.

But I guess that's an underlying philosophy I have when it comes to being impressed by games. In still, and even via trailers, graphics are not as impressive as when you're sitting there, controller in hand, interacting with the world yourself, controlling the camera, and navigating the environments.

Of course games on 2013-2014 hardware will be more impressive and noticeably so, but it definetly won't be such a massive jump in quality as with PS2 to PS3 gen. The improvements in lightning, physics and complexity were just incredibly high.

The difference will be felt and seen that much is sure, but I guess people really don't believe that there won't be any advancement, but that it won't be nearly as radical as some are hyping it up to be.

Tehalemi

It's retail, it's on that list. OK, maybe it isn't launch, as the PS3/360/WiiU release might be until November or something (obviously I have no idea when WiiU is out).

US, CAN, UK or AU? :)

lol@us playing 21 questions :D

I personally believe there's the one question nobody here is asking, and that's is it a game, and if so will you be able to do things in it???

Can it also perhaps, perchance...even if minutely possible, and go with me on this cause I'm about to go topsy-turvy on your ass for a second...........allow you..........to do stuff?

>:O I think I just blew my mind clear off with such thoughts.

The issue in my opinion is less whether the hardware could or could not (I think some of us might be underestimating the Wii U's feature set)

But the bigger thing is will publishers support the Nintnedo platform on the same level as the others, or will it be lacking as it has been in some ways since the SNES days

I think so far it'll at least be a step up from the Wii, anything further regarding support I'm patient enough to wait until I hear and/or see it from the *horse's mouth. In the mean time, playing my favorite games on 360/Wii/Steam(mostly Steam :p) will help keep my mind clear. :D

*Iwata

Richie

ZombiU Official Dev Diary #1 - Senior Producer talks about the game. There's old footage. It will be an ongoing series, with the next video tackling the game's story. Of interest is that he claims the game is "coming up this Christmas"; hopefully just a general term for the holidays; such a release would be quite anticlimactic.

nordique

Of course games on 2013-2014 hardware will be more impressive and noticeably so, but it definetly won't be such a massive jump in quality as with PS2 to PS3 gen. The improvements in lightning, physics and complexity were just incredibly high.

The difference will be felt and seen that much is sure, but I guess people really don't believe that there won't be any advancement, but that it won't be nearly as radical as some are hyping it up to be.

But where is the line between "more impressive and noticeably more so", "the difference will be felt and seen"

and

"Won't be nearly as radical as some are going it up" , "won't be such a massive jump" ?

I share EC's opinion on how many people might be underestimating the next gen systems. Mind you, as a disclaimer, I am very positive on the Wii U personally and it might be the only next generation system I own (all depends on software), but I do feel too many judgements and certainties are being drawn about system for which games have yet to be shown

IGN previewed the game the other day for PS3/360. It's a racing game, its 60fps, IGN confirmed this and it was confirmed to me too. It's not made by Sumo, and it was on that list on Wikipedia. It takes a real life motorsport and mixes it up. :)

schuelma

IGN previewed the game the other day for PS3/360. It's a racing game, its 60fps, IGN confirmed this and it was confirmed to me too. It's not made by Sumo, and it was on that list on Wikipedia. It takes a real life motorsport and mixes it up. :)

F1 All Stars

mgcastro

I wonder why many of us believe their jump won't be that big, from what I could read here at GAF, developers point to a huge leap, Remedy states a 'quantum leap', I also remember Epic (please correct me if I'm wrong) is pushing Sony and MS for huge leaps spec wise.

They can and, for the most part, probably will, unless PS4/Durango sell so poorly out of the gate as to force a drastic reevaluation of their next-gen development strategies.

Why would developers ignore a ton of potential money, when it would cost almost nothing to port most games to the Wii U? The Wii didn't get many third-party ports because the entire architecture of the system was different, but the Wii U is using the standard technology that the other game systems (and PC's) are using.

schuelma

Oh and listening to this a few times- this could be me completely going off the deep end, but that conversation definitely made me think that Monster Hunter is coming. They mentioned a Wii U launch game in Japan using online, and then made the quote about big stuff being lined up for Wii U in Japan.

Also, given 8-4's localization history with Monster Hunter..

But where is the line between "more impressive and noticeably more so", "the difference will be felt and seen"

and

"Won't be nearly as radical as some are going it up" , "won't be such a massive jump" ?

I share EC's opinion on how many people might be underestimating the next gen systems. Mind you, as a disclaimer, I am very positive on the Wii U personally and it might be the only next generation system I own (all depends on software), but I do feel too many judgements and certainties are being drawn about system for which games have yet to be shown

Processing power will certainly allow for amazing new visual displays, and I do believe people don't doubt that the new consoles will be a noticeable upgrade, but the economic reality and experience with this gen leads me to side with the view that Next Gen won't be anywhere near as big a jump as from PS2 to 3. What I mean by that: The best looking PS2 game would never be confused for a PS3 game (and no, Vampire Rain doesn't count)

Shading and lightning won't make such a radical jump this gen. But even if they just up the resolution of textures, improve the clarity of the IQ, and improve loading times and model complexity it will allready be noticeable. Truth be told, that's what I'm expecting from proper WiiU games anyway.

The_Lump

Banned

I do agree I suppose - but therein lies the problem: it's always going to be open to interpretation at this level and it's always going to be relative to what the person holding the controller thinks. It's not necessarily going to be night and day differences anymore that are clear for all to see, including the layperson.

The biggest difference for me will be in the freedom that devs have to let their artistic license flourish and the scale they can create in. Imagine 6 years ago if someone had shown you a game like Journey :D

Kacho

Oh and listening to this a few times- this could be me completely going off the deep end, but that conversation definitely made me think that Monster Hunter is coming. They mentioned a Wii U launch game in Japan using online, and then made the quote about big stuff being lined up for Wii U in Japan.

I can't take this anymore.

Meelow

Banned

If Nintendo can get Monster Hunter on the Wii U than they pretty much own most of Japan.

I wonder why many of us believe their jump won't be that big, from what I could read here at GAF, developers point to a huge leap, Remedy states a 'quantum leap', I also remember Epic (please correct me if I'm wrong) is pushing Sony and MS for huge leaps spec wise.

Well Epic wouldn't be able to sell an engine if the jump isn't big. The thing is, the new features that will be native to these new engines are allready possible to fake now, and for the average consumer it's going to be pretty useless to know that the effect now is real time instead of pre baked.

Many 3rd parties have set up their business model in a way that growth is needed in both bigger investments and bigger sales. The question that I pose is that how far will these models be able to be supported by a market that isn't growing at a rate that would inspire confidence. Unless a market that is divided by 3 publishers is something people would want to see.

The_Lump

Banned

Sorry; this is what I'm getting at. I'm just saying it in a roundabout and confusing manner :)

Why would developers ignore a ton of potential money, when it would cost almost nothing to port most games to the Wii U? The Wii didn't get many third-party ports because the entire architecture of the system was different, but the Wii U is using the standard technology that the other game systems (and PC's) are using.

Why have so many current-gen multiplatform games been ruled out for Wii U? Largely, because publishers are prejudging the system as being incapable of generating whatever ROI would justify porting costs. Same reasoning will apply next-gen, I fear.

Japanese support will definitely be a good deal better than what Wii got, at least early on, but Agni's Philosophy, combined with Kojima's "we'd have to make an exclusive" comments, are probably representative of the direction that the biggest Japanese console developers will be going in, and I don't think that bodes well for Japanese support in the long run.

D-e-f-

Banned
Well Epic wouldn't be able to sell an engine if the jump isn't big. The thing is, the new features that will be native to these new engines are allready possible to fake now, and for the average consumer it's going to be pretty useless to know that the effect now is real time instead of pre baked..

they're selling the engine because it improves usability and functionality for developers a lot--that's their big push. not "whoa look how sick this looks" (though there's a bit of that, too, with all the fancy lighting and all dem crazy particles [they shoulda called it Unreal Engine 4 featuring Lots of Particles!!!]) but more "look how EASY it is do to all these awesome things and you don't need to call the programmers to do it!"

So now that we finally got the game figured out.... what were we even talking about for it?

/sigh at drawn out guessing games. :p

Yeah, sorry.

We were discussing that all this media slagging WiiU performance off is largely junk. I was saying that a friend of mine is a coder working on a multiplatform, 60fps, racing game. I asked him about Wii U and he said its got plenty of guts like PS3, but has the benefit of being easy to work on.

Apologies for the guessing games.

Stewox

Banned
I think one of the biggest messages of this current generation is the fact how Microsoft and Sony heavily rely on 3rd parties, daily evidence, is Halo and Rare's kinect games really enough for self-sufficiency, and Sony killing it's old studios, as any biz view Wii is a success, well it is a financial success, but we can argue not necessairly feature wise, but it is not a failure, the technical aspects are far better in terms of quality and assembly, as well as design, it works fine, it has extremely low failure rate, pretty much it's just the software that was lackluser, that doesn't mean they are incapable as usually the quick conclusion, it's simply they didn't put an effort or focus in it, big difference, so you have the general public taking WiiU with A LOT of doubt because of these diluted perceptions gained from Wii, and that's very unprofessional if it comes out of an analyst or any industry veteran. So continuing, Wii is a prime actual example of how self sufficient nintendo is. Those amazing aspects are overlooked in mainstream a lot, not to mention Pachter who made such a fool of him self of tossing that kind of BS around, we know facts for months on GAF while he still makes same old ignorant statements. I don't have examples right now, It would took me some time to even find all of that he said throught the year.

Nintendo really is the last to be doomed, I mean, even if WiiU fails the 3rd parties, that doesn't matter the system won't sell, in worst case scenario it would be GCN2, but did that made nintendo bankrupt? No. They didn't panicked and compromised the whole system with another direction, just making games and kept producing some very high quality stuff. But they deserved much more for their work, and that's why Wii had the direction of what we saw.

People need to also understand how cost effective nintendo is in many areas, while MS and Sony spend millions on low/relative effect stuff such as gazillion worthy adverst of logos on major TV broadcasts, that's waste of money, not targeting the right audience at all, yes some are, but the percentage is low, all that money to waste.

And Iwate or Miyamoto pointed out how the west likes just to throw money at big high profile games.

The other thing is, exclusivity deals, that huge, and nintendo specifically iwata said this year that nintendo won't be wasting money competing with them on this.

And Im not going to speculate on scenarios of what if something happens to MS-Sony that one of them would be in trouble. I'm not here to predict dooms and such wild guesses, anythings possible but not all of it is worth discussing.
Honestly the only remotely similar scenario may be that WiiU is a pretty big early hit, everyone realizes and jumps on it, even those waiting for other systems, now that will be interesting if WiiU has ~15 million userbase head start.

I think nintendo is very smart and I think that's because they witholded a lot of information for long but it is not really the necessary case, the system was announced 2 E3s before, that's unusual, but it's also to keep info off competitiors. It is very silly that the general public even Pachter and gaming sites take the the fact that nintendo is a very unpredictable company in a negative tone, but that is a fundamental advantage to competitors, that's the most positive thing you need to have when you're a dedicated company against 2 giants.
The general public also funnily bases their nintendoom and big panic drama on slight stock changes, that's so silly considering majorit of the stock is AFAIK in hands of current employees and the yamauchi family or at least someone with direct nintendo connection not the random international profit-hungry shareholder.

Tehalemi

So now that we finally got the game figured out.... what were we even talking about for it?

/sigh at drawn out guessing games. :p

I believe this was the origin:

All I know is that I have friend working on a launch game (I used to work for them too a long time ago) and they're working on a game that will be out around launch on PS3/360/WIIU and he said (he's a programmer) that is a really nice machine with lots of guts, easily comparable to PS3, and MUCH easier to work on.

Accomplishment get!!! :p

they're selling the engine because it improves usability and functionality for developers a lot--that's their big push. not "whoa look how sick this looks" (though there's a bit of that, too, with all the fancy lighting and all dem crazy particles [they shoulda called it Unreal Engine 4 featuring Lots of Particles!!!]) but more "look how EASY it is do to all these awesome things and you don't need to call the programmers to do it!"

Sorry but I don't buy that for one second. Improvements in user interface and optimizations to the workflow are standard and should be expected from any revision. And they're also looking at a much harder market to license their engine this gen when most big publishers are using their own in house engines rather than licensing anymore.

Most studios using UE3 have allready optimized it to their workflow so the biggest pro would be that UE4 can now do a lot more sparkles.

Hoodbury

Yeah, sorry.

We were discussing that all this media slagging WiiU performance off is largely junk. I was saying that a friend of mine is a coder working on a multiplatform, 60fps, racing game. I asked him about Wii U and he said its got plenty of guts like PS3, but has the benefit of being easy to work on.

Apologies for the guessing games.

Lol, np. At least you didn't make us wait as long as Capcom seems to do. I was mostly joking and it did kinda help pass a couple hours in the afternoon.

I read the IGN article for the game and seems like it could be pretty fun. Why'd you stop working there?

schuelma

Japanese support will definitely be a good deal better than what Wii got, at least early on, but Agni's Philosophy, combined with Kojima's "we'd have to make an exclusive" comments, are probably representative of the direction that the biggest Japanese console developers will be going in, and I don't think that bodes well for Japanese support in the long run.

I think this is a pretty pessimistic view of things. If Wii U gets better Japanese support from Day 1, that should lead to a healthier userbase for 3rd party projects, leading to more and more support, etc.

I refuse to believe Japanese companies are dumb enough, and can even afford, to ignore what is most likely going to be the home console leader.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom