• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
So I was watching this Zombi U video (in French) from Gamescom and the dev' is saying (don't know if it has already been pointed here) that the game will be much more longer than what they were initially tartgeting (a 7h/8h campaign). He thinks that the game offers now a 15h/20h campaign (depending players skills), with 17 levels which "are bigger" than what he's demoing in this vid.

Other stuff from this vid.:

- 5 "specials" zombies (more skilled) without counting the bosses
- The messages/notifications we can see in the game come from the comunity/other players (demoed at 14: 16)
- There're 4 npc characters in the campaign who'll be the story drivers.

great news, indeed.
interesting tips for various aspects of the game, including the messages:

fJYeC.jpg

Hakai

Wii had so much great looking games, to be honest I did't miss a PS3 or an Xbox 360 until this last year where the Wii software took a slowdown moment.

nordique

I think it all points to te fact that the differences are neglegable and that modern graphical improvements aren't necessarily quantifiable to the general public.

This will be the story of the next gen. Nothing will blow people away.

Except Mario Galaxy 3.

I really think you should consider waiting to see what these next gen games actually look like first

You could be right

But given what we know about the next gen systems specs, they will be noticeable likely even for the average gamer

Meelow

Banned
New statements from Emily Rogers.

https://twitter.com/Emi1yRogers

- will feature a large number of retail games gone digital
- Downloadable content
- demos
- video content
- Virtual Console
- working to make sure every Wii U owner logs onto the eShop
- WiiU eShop isn't far behind XBLA in features.

And the site you go for Nintendo news posted this

- Nintendo of Europe has started work on TV and print advertising for Wii U
- one company in particular has been asked to work on 2 TV commercials and 1 print ad
- the ads will focus on the Wii U console bundle and its features
- the advertisement will also focus on the Wii MotionPlus Wiimote and Nunchuck

Stewox

Banned
Time for my
un
amazing detective work.

The game is third party because your friend has worked with the PS3
The game runs at 60fps
60fps games are usually platformers or fighting games, sports, and racing games.

So, that leaves Scribbelnauts, Rayman Legends, Lego City Undercover, Rabbids Land, SonicRacing, Tekken Tag Turnament 2, or Trine 2, FIFA or Madden.

Weed out the Japanese developers since your friend is most likely a western developer.

That means your friend either works for Ubisoft, Frozenbyte, 5th Cell, Sumo Digital, Traveller's tales, Or EA Sports.

Is it anyone of the above? (I'm bored btw)

Rage runs at 60hz. It's main bottleneck is RAM capacity and storage seek/read performance.

That's the main reason I pushed for USB3.0

USB2 has 30MB/s tops, usual HDDs have 60-80MB/s, my WD1002FAEX has ~120MB/s read. SSDs won't make a difference on WiiU.

Rage on X360 was playable with full install to HDD, DVD seek-transfer speeds are poor Blu-Ray even worse so, PS3 only had partial install of 8GB, because sony didn't allow more space.

PS3 and 360 have internal SATA ports for it's drives, while WiiU will only have USB2.

This is one of the biggest mistakes nintendo may regret.

IDTech5 has this tradeoff as the way this technology works, it's high performance, unique textures, lots of art, development is revolutionary as some of the artists personally thanked Carmack for making a technology in which artists can go in an do their creative work without having to worry about limits. To badd Rage Mod Tools "idstudio" still aren't out so no other way to show this.

Hakai

I think it all points to te fact that the differences are neglegable and that modern graphical improvements aren't necessarily quantifiable to the general public.

This will be the story of the next gen. Nothing will blow people away.

Except Mario Galaxy 3.

Yeah, it will. If there is something I learned in this industry is never understimate anyone. There is more to it than, "it's just capable of this amount of power", theres a lot of magic behind developing a game that can surprise everyone.

Look at Uncharted 3 that game looks amazing in 2005 hardware.

Time for my
un
amazing detective work.

The game is third party because your friend has worked with the PS3
The game runs at 60fps
60fps games are usually platformers or fighting games, sports, and racing games.

So, that leaves Scribbelnauts, Rayman Legends, Lego City Undercover, Rabbids Land, SonicRacing, Tekken Tag Turnament 2, or Trine 2, FIFA or Madden.

Weed out the Japanese developers since your friend is most likely a western developer.

That means your friend either works for Ubisoft, Frozenbyte, 5th Cell, Sumo Digital, Traveller's tales, Or EA Sports.

Is it anyone of the above? (I'm bored btw)

Ohh you've missed a developer out :D

This really isn't true at all.
It's all up to expectations.

I figure most next gen engines will be using current gen pipelines as the base. Models won't have many more polygons on average, normals will be higher res, maybe significantly so. Textures will be better. As you'd expect going from 512MB to 6 gigs, asset variety will increase exponentially ( the only area of assets I expect to change by leaps and bounds) precision of effects significantly higher.

Aside from that? The single tangible change I expect is to come from particles and lighting. We're still making models in the exact same way, under some of the same triangle constraints. I doubt either "powerhouse" has 2 gigs of VRAM... so Square's demo will have to change (most likely in the area of transparencies).

I expect things. But I don't know if I'd call them impressive yet. Mainly because they aren't running on anything but PC hardware a half-generation removed from parts going into Orbis and Durango.

The_Lump

Banned
This really isn't true at all.

I was partly joking and trying to play up Galaxy 3 (which may not even exist) but if there's any truth to my statement it's that the next wave of go-to realistic effects and fancy uber-real lighting etc won't have the same impact as we've seen in the past. UE4 demo as an example, it wasn't that crazy impressive compared to games we've been playing for the last year or so - and that was a tech demo. So no, I don't think people will be blown away by the next level of realism in gaming graphics.

I do however think they'll have their socks rocked off by what developers can do with physics, art direction, size/scale of games because they have much more at their fingertips in terms of hardware.

Edit: imo :p

Meelow

Banned
http://nintendo-okie.com/2012/08/23/pwnee-studios-audio-interview/

- Cloudberry Kingdom could be coming to other platforms besides Wii U/Steam.
- One of the developers has finished a level on the hardest difficulty, but it took over 1,000 deaths to do so.
- Infinite platforming levels
- challenge for all sorts of players
- Giving players between 12 and 20 options to adjust the game, many more that the players will never see.
- The characters in the trailer were their pre-Beta placeholder characters. They’re planning to put those characters back into the game. (They’re not in the Beta)
- Games should be similar across platforms.
- They’re excited about Wii U, especially the digital distribution platform for the system.
- devs believe that Steam has influenced Nintendo in certain areas
- One possible feature is the ability to draw items for your character using the Wii U Gamepad.
- Asymmetric game play similar to New Super Mario Bros. U using the Gamepad.

- Cameos from other indie games such as Meat Boy

It's good to hear that Nintendo was hopefully influenced by Steam.

The_Lump

Banned
I get sad when I think of Galaxy, for as awesome as it and Galaxy 2 were, there's no way the next big 3D adventure will be as good. The space theme worked amazingly well gor Mario.

I'd love to be proven wrong, however.

Keep the faith bro. They can deliver another great galaxy game (and I think there's a good chance they'll squeeze one out of the theme before moving on)

The_Lump

Banned
I really think you should consider waiting to see what these next gen games actually look like first

You could be right

But given what we know about the next gen systems specs, they will be noticeable likely even for the average gamer

Yeah they could be. I shouldn't have been so sweeping in that statement - I was thinking more along the lines of realism than anything else. Of course there'll be stunning games and new levels of loveliness; I just don't think the leap in realism (in those genres which aim for that) will be enormous.

Then again they won't need to be. I think lighting will improve even current gen graphics quite a lot and little things (particles, water effects, shadows, draw distances etc) can go a long way at this point.

D-e-f-

Banned
I am starting to think the game hasn't been announced for WiiU yet... :D Let me check

well there are still the Rise of the Guardians, Ben 10, Skylanders, Transformers and other games I didn't list.

I also didn't list Injustice by NetherRealm cause that's not out at launch which you implied :)

Of course 60fps would also make a lot of sense for NFS: Most Wanted which has not been announced yet but NFS games usually appear everywhere so we're expecting it still...

C'mon, announce a game for us :D

oh and there's Sacrilegium which is in that weird half-confirmed state because the only source for the Wii U comment is the joystiq news article but the press release and website for the game don't mention the platform anywhere.

Enlil

Nintendo has enough first party games they can bring out and still sell millions wii u. I really don't understand this support for third party debate. Most people here either have a xbox or ps3 or are pc gamers. most pc gamers don't buy console. People who buy nintendo products, are those who want their first party games. And since most of us grew up with nintendo it's very likely that those people will buy this system. And they are allot.

Most people are just worried they have to buy an extra console if developers stopped supporting the wiiu, but i think this is unlikely. those who want awesome graphics will go for pc.

Hoodbury

Nintendo has enough first party games they can bring out and still sell millions wii u. I really don't understand this support for third party debate. Most people here either have a xbox or ps3 or are pc gamers. most pc gamers don't buy console. People who buy nintendo products, are those who want their first party games. And since most of us grew up with nintendo it's very likely that those people will buy this system. And they are allot.

Most people are just worried they have to buy an extra console if developers stopped supporting the wiiu, but i think this is unlikely. those who want awesome graphics will go for pc.
I guess I would be an outlier in your experiment because I only buy Nintendo consoles but really only play 3rd party games.

Hakai

I was partly joking and trying to play up Galaxy 3 (which may not even exist) but if there's any truth to my statement it's that the next wave of go-to realistic effects and fancy uber-real lighting etc won't have the same impact as we've seen in the past. UE4 demo as an example, it wasn't that crazy impressive compared to games we've been playing for the last year or so - and that was a tech demo. So no, I don't think people will be blown away by the next level of realism in gaming graphics.

I do however think they'll have their socks rocked off by what developers can do with physics, art direction, size/scale of games because they have much more at their fingertips in terms of hardware.

Edit: imo :p

UE4 might not made anyone saying WOW, But the Frog in Cryengine 3 sure done it!

I think we are set for a fun ride actually, with crazy surpises, that's why I love this transitional period.

Pineconn

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=488374

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/08/2...-hunting-coming-to-android-and-ios-this-year/

Capcom Announces Monster Hunter: Massive Hunting & Resident Evil: Mercenaries (iOS/A)

Now if the WiiU doesnt get a Monster Hunter or Resident Evil game, I just dont know

Blech.

I want to play Monster Hunter on Wii U, with a robust online experience (more than 4 people per city, like Japan) and the inventory and map on the GamePad. Let me give you my money, Cacpcom.

The_Lump

Banned
UE4 might not made anyone saying WOW, But the Frog in Cryengine 3 sure done it!

I think we are set for a fun ride actually, with crazy surpises, that's why I love this transitional period.

Yep toad tech on the next gen will melt your balls off. Other than that, meh. Lol

Crysis 3 looks beautiful btw. Perhaps seeing games like that has blurred the line between this and next gen? Maybe that's why I'm not seeing the leap as being significant between this gen and the next gen tech demos we've seen so far.

jerd

Is there anything worse in gaming than trying to control a character in a 3D space with a faux analogue stick on a touch screen? Not for my money there isn't.

Banned
Ohh you've missed a developer out :D
Retail games or digital? Unless a game like Darksiders 2 or mass effect 3 is running 60fps on Wii U I have no idea what develope it is? Vigil? BioWare? Pwnee studios?

I pretty much listed every developer from this page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Wii_U_games who's game is listed as "launch title" or "launch window"

Edit: Guys, none of those games are running 60fps on Wii U. Batman, ACIII, ME3, Darkaiders II were excluded from my list because they aren't 60fps.

Whenever I find myself wishing that the Wii U was more powerful, I just think about this:

Super-Mario-Galaxy-2-Screenshot-2.jpg

Nintendo-Lanzo-S%25C3%25BAper-Mario-Galaxy-2.jpg

1321713-xenoblade_20landscape_1__super.png

ss_03.png

donkey_kong_country_returns_review.jpg

And then I realize that Nintendo did a lot of things on vastly underpowered hardware. I think we'll have plenty of beautiful stuff to look at.
Wow that's freakin gorgeous! Almost makes me want to cry with joy

It's retail, it's on that list. OK, maybe it isn't launch, as the PS3/360/WiiU release might be until November or something (obviously I have no idea when WiiU is out).

Is there anything worse in gaming than trying to control a character in a 3D space with a faux analogue stick on a touch screen? Not for my money there isn't.

Agreed. Hell, those virtual "analog/d pads" barely work for a lot of 2d games on touch screens. The controls can make an otherwise easy game a lot more difficult than they should be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom