• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this thread the appropriate place to talk about specific games?

Anyways, I caught something when watching this video of Pikmin 3. When the player defeats the spotty bulborb and out pops a few cherries, the Pikmin standing around appear to automatically pick them up and start carrying them off:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=oHu0p9Vf4Yw#t=288s

I hope the game won't change the Pikmn AI to start automatically doing stuff whether you commanded them or not. That could get annoying and make it feel you aren't in total control. I don't know, perhaps there is a command much like "swarming" that the player is activating at that moment.

Played Pikmin 2 this year and they did the same thing there.

Dr.Hadji

I find it interesting people complain about Zelda's "empty" overworlds in the age of open world games which (unless they take place in a city) are guilty of the same things on a much bigger level. Just started playing Skyrim and I'd take any "empty" Zelda overword over this place.

DrWong

Just checked Fallon show and was pleased by Reggie, he did a good job I think.

Yesterday I tested the U for 1 hour long and it was cool. I think I'll buy the box in the launch window if it's priced at 300 euros max. Luigi's Ghost Mansion is instant fun. It was the first game I tried, with the gamepad I was the ghost, opposed to 3 others guys: everybody was enjoying it just after a few sec. Talking, laughing... Arcade in da house. Animal Crossing: Sweet Day is really fun too and visually neat, with a good looking.

There was something like 13 Wii U at this prez. If I remember well the games showcased were:

- Nintendo Land with Luigi's Ghost Mansion, Animal Crossing: Sweet Day, Donkey Kong's Crash Course, The Legend of Zelda: Battle Quest. I've to say I was a bit disapointed by this last one as the demo was like a multiplayer rail action game. So with the Gamepad you're the archer and it's like a railshooter. Sometime you have to coop' with the others to open doors, activate stuff. It's not boring but at this stage, from what I tested, it was the less interesting Ninteno Land game.

- Others games showcased : Batman, Ninja Gaiden (looked ugly compared to Batman, like running under 720p, I heard it was downscaled just for this demo and that the final version would be different, we'll see), Project P-100 (tested, seems to be a solid solo action game, nice looking, fast paced, fun Gamepad gimmick use but level design was too simple. Need to see more.), Pikmin 3 (just watched: I will buy), Wii Fit U, Zombie U (tested the 2 multiplayer local mode, fun. The game doesn't look visually stunning but it's ok), Sing.

The Gamepad: don't know if it has anolog buttons/triggers in the end, as a PC/Nintendo gamer I'm not used to these (and don't give a fuck frankly speaking) and the PR people of the event couldn't help on this matter. The Gamepad is a wonderful pad, really comfortable and the touch screen is really nice. I'm pretty sure now it will be my primary device at home for the coming years and I'm more convinced than ever it has great potential among family audience.

Interesting fact (sorry if already shared/discussed):eek:ne of the features highlighted in the Zombi U official site is an online feature/mode (?) which sounds cool on paper: MERCY KILLER – When your character gets infected, your online friends are alerted of your death and can come and hunt down your zombified character to loot the gear in your BOB and put you out of your misery.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
One major issue I have with the Wii U right now is that instead of making the controller and input options simpler, they seem to have made them even more complicated!

I thought one big issue with the Wii was that the CC was not bundled in the box and there was a lot of customer confusion with the Wiimote, CC, CC Pro, Balance Board..it just seemed unwieldy.

I assumed Nintendo would solve this with one standard controller right in the box, and I guess in a way they have, but the E3 presentation made it appear that Wii controllers are almost necessary for a lot of their games. Pikmin with the Wiimote, Wii Fit U with the balance board, and then the new Pro controller- I thought the gamepad was supposed to fit the needs of the traditional gamer? So which is it? What controllers are 3rd parties wanting to just do a reasonable port supposed to focus on?

Just checked Fallon show and was pleased by Reggie, he did a good job I think.

Yesterday I tested the U for 1 hour long and it was cool. I think I'll buy the box in the launch window if it's priced at 300 euros max. Luigi's Ghost Mansion is instant fun. It was the first game I tried, with the gamepad I was the ghost, opposed to 3 others guys: everybody was enjoying it just after a few sec. Talking, laughing... Arcade in da house. Animal Crossing: Sweet Day is really fun too and visually neat, with a good looking.

There was something like 13 Wii U at this prez. If I remember well the games showcased were:

- Nintendo Land with Luigi's Ghost Mansion, Animal Crossing: Sweet Day, Donkey Kong's Crash Course, The Legend of Zelda: Battle Quest. I've to say I was a bit disapointed by this last one as the demo was like a multiplayer rail action game. So with the Gamepad you're the archer and it's like a railshooter. Sometime you have to coop' with the others to open doors, activate stuff. It's not boring but at this stage, from what I tested, it was the less interesting Ninteno Land game.

- Others games showcased : Batman, Ninja Gaiden (looked ugly compared to Batman, like running under 720p, I heard it was downscaled just for this demo and that the final version would be different, we'll see), Project P-100 (tested, seems to be a solid solo action game, nice looking, fast paced, fun Gamepad gimmick use but level design was too simple. Need to see more.), Pikmin 3 (just watched: I will buy), Wii Fit U, Zombie U (tested the 2 multiplayer local mode, fun. The game doesn't look visually stunning but it's ok), Sing.

The Gamepad: don't know if it has anolog buttons/triggers in the end, as a PC/Nintendo gamer I'm not used to these (and don't give a fuck frankly speaking) and the PR people of the event couldn't help on this matter. The Gamepad is a wonderful pad, really comfortable and the touch screen is really nice. I'm pretty sure now it will be my primary device at home for the coming years and I'm more convinced than ever it has great potential among family audience.

Interesting fact (sorry if already shared/discussed):eek:ne of the features highlighted in the Zombi U official site is an online feature/mode (?) which sounds cool on paper: MERCY KILLER – When your character gets infected, your online friends are alerted of your death and can come and hunt down your zombified character to loot the gear in your BOB and put you out of your misery.
Thx for your impressions, sounds good overall.

Really hope they bundle Nintendo Land.

Redford

aka Cabbie
I'm suddenly really really excited for Wii Sports U. If it drops mid-gen and is polished, I'd pay alot of money for it.

(mostly just want a full 18 hole golf course in HD, with better physics. And baseball.)

I still don't see how that all-in-one media box by Microsoft is supposed to work in Europe, where their offering (via Xbox Live) is - from what I've heard - pretty shitty.

Unless they *really* improve their media offerings, I can't see it being as appealing outside the US. I also have serious doubts about the viability of a rental/contract approach. Probably workable - and possibly appealing - for a certain demographic, but I can't see it working across the board.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I still don't see how that all-in-one media box by Microsoft is supposed to work in Europe, where their offering (via Xbox Live) is - from what I've heard - pretty shitty.

They should absolutely expand the range of their services to involve europe more if they want it to take off as a all-in-one media device.

Currently nearly every streaming/content service is aimed at north america alone, it's frustrating to say the least.

Penguin

They should absolutely expand the range of their services to involve europe more if they want it to take off as a all-in-one media device.

Currently nearly every streaming/content service is aimed at north america alone, it's frustrating to say the least.

I had this discussion with Europeans I know after every e3

Because a lot of the services MS highlight and stuff never make it to them.

Its an interesting... strategy..

Also a new thread.. on another potential Xbox spec list.. how would that thing.. be reasonably priced.

rpmurphy

I'm suddenly really really excited for Wii Sports U. If it drops mid-gen and is polished, I'd pay alot of money for it.

(mostly just want a full 18 hole golf course in HD, with better physics. And baseball.)
Of the ideas presented at last year's E3, sports was conspicuously missing from this year from Nintendo, although there was that one from Ubisoft. Hopefully that's on the way as well.

chris3116

In Canada, you won't see anything like that on the next Xbox. It's very US centric if you're asking me.

Same issue I see. The rumored direction is very US(NA)-centric.

Not "very", more absolutely and exclusively. Xbox Live in Europe is a Joke, aside from the messaging features and friend options it's completely barebones. Hell the Youtube app isn't even available in Austria for example (allthough you can download it with a UK account and use it with every other account)

It's a travesty and if they seriously plan on going in this direction, then it's an easy choice for me to ignore their next console, as I'm not going to pay for hardware that is of no use to me.

PS4 and WiiU for me next gen (primarily because most of my online buddies migrated to the PS3)

daakusedo

One major issue I have with the Wii U right now is that instead of making the controller and input options simpler, they seem to have made them even more complicated!

I thought one big issue with the Wii was that the CC was not bundled in the box and there was a lot of customer confusion with the Wiimote, CC, CC Pro, Balance Board..it just seemed unwieldy.

I assumed Nintendo would solve this with one standard controller right in the box, and I guess in a way they have, but the E3 presentation made it appear that Wii controllers are almost necessary for a lot of their games. Pikmin with the Wiimote, Wii Fit U with the balance board, and then the new Pro controller- I thought the gamepad was supposed to fit the needs of the traditional gamer? So which is it? What controllers are 3rd parties wanting to just do a reasonable port supposed to focus on?

I saw you post a lot of worried posts, you should let it go a bit.
See, your questioning why wii fit u need the balance board. You want people to step on the wiiu pad?
Plus, just for multi player shooters and these kind of games, the pro controller is needed.
Using again those successful controllers is pretty good it seems.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Same issue I see. The rumored direction is very US(NA)-centric.

Yeah, here in Europe we don't have many of Xbox services ( we don't even have Netflix, for fuck's sake! ), so doing a mediabox could be a too much US-centric decision, something which could actually help Nintendo in Europe, thinking about it XD

P.S. About the price, if it's a mediabox indeed, the service price model ( 299 at launch, and then 15 $ per month ) could be usable. As said in the Xbox Presentation thread ( or right here, not remembering now ), making people pay a certain amount per month for what's actually a freaking toy ( all consoles are toys, in the end ) isn't absolutely the same thing of making people pay a fee for a phone, or a car. No one would pay fees for making his child play with its toy. BUT, in the case of a mediabox, it could work. At least, much more if it's just a console.

I wouldn't be too worried. This stuff reminds me of what OnLive is already doing(streaming everything from servers and not having to depend on what hardware you have). But I've seen nothing that shows me they're competing with Nintendo on the next level interaction side of things. A big chunk of the gaming concept is based upon you liking Kinect and being content with continuing that for 10 years. It looks like the Smartglass showing wasn't too far off and the same worries are there. That it just won't be a complete experience for what the Wii U Gamepad is going to offer. A second screen companion for interaction with games. Microsoft is just continuing with the motion sensing parade, not to mention they will have a whole lot more than Nintendo to compete with(cable companies for example).

Even if they copy the Gamepad eventually(which I definitely think they will try to do after Wii U takes off which I believe it will), it will be more $$$ and that money plus $299 is going to add up. Are they going to copy Sony too? More $$$$$$$$$ lol. Streaming video games only will run you so much. As worried as some are about what Nintendo is trying to demonstrate, imagine how confused somebody will be on all of the services that 720 will add(70% of which will be NON-gaming related). With all of these applications and ads thrown in for 360 which most core gamers don't even like, it will be very crowded now. Microsoft has a high failure/high success, Jack of All Trades strategy. I would be lying if I said that some wont end up choosing the Wii U or PS4 over a media box just because of that.

I am curious to think what "they" at Nintendo think about all of this. But this is something they have probably already considered.

donny2112

Pikmin with the Wiimote, Wii Fit U with the balance board, and then the new Pro controller- I thought the gamepad was supposed to fit the needs of the traditional gamer?

Nintendo said that they were leveraging the fact that there are 140m Wiimotes out there already along with 50m (I think) balance boards. Wii Fit U will be sold standalone, like Wii Fit Plus was, for those who already have the board. No Wii U game will require the Wiimotes for single-player play, though, unless I've missed something from the games announced.

What controllers are 3rd parties wanting to just do a reasonable port supposed to focus on?

What can the Wii U Pro Controller do that the Wii U Gamepad cannot? If a developer doesn't want to use the screen at all, just leave it off in the code.

A.

People here are pessimists.
Reality of the game industry is that multi-ports will be necessary.
Not only that, major publishers have been saying that exclusivity is not the way of the future.

Recent NDP has shown that sales are sluggish for the PS3 and 360.
And this is not due to any new consoles being announced.

Regarding WiiU has major Ubisoft support out the gate, looks like EA is in, and Activision will probably follow. I'm sure Nintendo will have some major support from Japanese publishers. And we are seeing games where its PS3 & WiiU or 360 & WiiU.
And thats only bridging this gen.
Next gen...

How many developers and publishers will bet that being exclusive on the 720 (assuming it launches in 2013) will be financially feasible? Because I doubt we will see the PS4 until 2013. No, for at least one year, they will have to lean on WiiU. So it will be WiiU & 720.
By the time the PS4 launches, the WiiU will be very much established with developers having put a lot of resources into developing for it.

WiiU will be in the PS2 position next gen.

I agree. By the time that the PS4 and 720 are released, assuming they both hit shop shelves before Christmas 2013, there will more than likely be around 10-15m Wii Us in homes worldwide. Publishers aren't going to leave money on the table.

donny2112

I agree. By the time that the PS4 and 720 are released, assuming they both hit shop shelves before Christmas 2013, there will more than likely be around 10-15m Wii Us in homes worldwide. Publishers aren't going to leave money on the table.

Looking forward to the first multi-platform games to sell more on 720 than on Wii U despite the year's head start. Ought to be a great NPD thread that month. As long as Wii U sells "enough," it should be fine, though.

Linkhero1

I heard Dragon Dogma didn't do well, but I haven't had time to look at the numbers until now. Wow...I will be surprised if Capcom does not port this to PC and the Wii U.

Effect

I try not to put anything past western publishers. It's always best to hope for the best within reason but expect and prepare for the worse. There possibly being a major difference in power I think is a cause for worry. The Wii U could reach that number before the other systems come out but what matters is the games that have sold to help it reach that number. If it's games like Nintendo Land, Sing, Just Dance that push it to those numbers and games like Pikman, ZombiU, and Assassin's Creed are modest (still over a million or a few million each but nothing compared to a possible 10 million selling Just Dance and Sing) I would not be surprised at all to see less and less "core gaming" support. I'd fully expect them to "leave money on the table".

If a few spin offs of established IPs appear I think we'll have a good idea of what direction the wind will be blowing.

I'm trying not to be negative. I keep going back and forth between getting the console at launch or waiting (it's annoying me). However I can't help with seeing things through a negative lens when I want the Wii U to be my only console purchase this coming generation do to money, time, and love of Nintendo's IPs. I know Nintendo's games will be there at some point. It's the 3rd party support that's the cause for concern and I haven't seen anything to make me think otherwise.

They are if those 10-15m Wii U owners only bought the system to play Just Dance, Mario & Wii Fit. Publishers don't just care about numbers, it's about demographics too.

Mpl90

About what happened at Jimmy Fallon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wb_gN_9YmaU

Eh, I think what's happening with Wii U it's pretty different from what happened with 3DS.
I mean, "A 3D Nintendo DS, right?" with Reggie answering "Absolutely" v.s. "Brand new console system", but maybe I'm just too fanboy to see the truth...

also were you here when people wanted to make a nintendo news website that had only the 'truth' about nintendo news? THAT WAS THE CRAZIEST SHIT

I liked it slightly more when people were talking about a "politifact" equivalent to video games in general.

confession time? I fucking hate tablets.

I'm not a big fan of them, either. They're supposed to be portable but can't fit in your pocket. For the same reason, I'm getting tired of my dad's super professional $1000 nikon and just want to buy another $100 compact digital camera.

For that matter, they gotta do something about the touch screens. Even on my phone, the hypersensitivity and lack of accuracy is driving me nuts.

There's a large part of me that, as fun as the game may be, wants a standalone release of this game so that it can bomb. Nintendo needs to learn. I'm sure it'll be a lovely game, but I want them to see that deeper gaming experiences will do much better for them sales-wise.

And confession time? In all of this time, I've never, ever played Wii Sports. On Launch Day for the Wii, I tried Trauma Center for a day or two and then spent the next few months with Twilight Princess. I guess I need to turn-in my fanman card..

*ducks*

Different types of games appeal to different people. I personally like well executed differentness (in everything, not just gaming). Wii Sports got more single player gameplay than any game in this generation or the one before out of me.

If you don't count computer games. I mean, I've probably put half the age of the universe into Civilization IV and Nethack.

japtor

I had this discussion with Europeans I know after every e3

Because a lot of the services MS highlight and stuff never make it to them.

Its an interesting... strategy..

Also a new thread.. on another potential Xbox spec list.. how would that thing.. be reasonably priced.
It's like they want to recreate the 80s-90s, MS on top with Europe getting fucked for video games.

I could see the price working with contracts if the services are compelling enough, or just having a tiered (and possibly fragmented hardware) system, and possibly crazy route in the US if the capabilities are true: partner up with cable providers and compete with other cable STBs (which generally suck horribly) and get in homes just by virtue of being a standard rental cable box.

But yeah it sounds like Europe would still be fucked.
The Wii U could reach that number before the other systems come out but what matters is the games that have sold to help it reach that number. If it's games like Nintendo Land, Sing, Just Dance that push it to those numbers and games like Pikman, ZombiU, and Assassin's Creed are modest (still over a million or a few million each but nothing compared to a possible 10 million selling Just Dance and Sing) I would not be surprised at all to see less and less "core gaming" support.
I agree with your thinking...but your scale is way off, "over a million or a few million each" would be a lot on a new console, and 10M (near 1:1 with consoles?) would be insane. If sales were like that it really could be the PS2 of the generation.

I find it interesting people complain about Zelda's "empty" overworlds in the age of open world games which (unless they take place in a city) are guilty of the same things on a much bigger level. Just started playing Skyrim and I'd take any "empty" Zelda overword over this place.

Really? I found Skyrim's overworld to be vastly more populated and interesting to travel through than the sky in Skyward Sword. You always had something to do, whether it was collect some flowers, fight off bandits, catch a butterfly, deal with some wandering quest person, fight off some wolves, or escape a dragon. And there were numerous small caves and keeps and things that were just small extra places to explore, not part of any quests. In Skyward Sword's "overworld" you...flew back and forth. Once in a while you could land on a small island with nothing to do on it, unless you had unlocked a chest on it.

Of course, my issue with the game wasn't really that, but the lack of exploration-based gameplay. To me, Zelda has meant exploration, but in Skyward Sword, you had 3 linear levels that would unlock one after another, and then you'd be told to go back to one or the other a few times. At one poiint you could do all three in any order you wanted, but you still had to do all 3, the order didn't make any difference. This is quite a difference from Zelda games of the past, where you would get a new ability and then explore and find new places (that you may have seen before) that you could now go to using that ability.

Linkhero1

Yes, but a massive financial disappointment. They will probably bury the project completely to cut their losses and focus on their other franchises. If a game sold that badly on 360/PS3 (in the US at least), there's really no point in porting it to Wii U for them.

Quite frankly DD just always looked off to me, I can't quite put my finger on this. Maybe it's the art style.
True. It's not guaranteed to sell on the Wii U or PC either. I guess I'll wait for it to be a clearance item at Target or something :p

AzaK

That shouldn't even matter. This is a new system. A chance to start over and build their brand on new hardware. What happened in the past simply doesn't matter. Pretty much all generations have proven this time and time again (the exception being the PS1/PS2). Instead of starting fresh, they're going to be singing that same sad song they were this generation, and that's sad. Nintendo has said many times that they want to include everyone this generation and you can see that they're trying to show all kinds of software both "core" and "casual". Why kick them in the balls for that? Doesn't make any sense to me. Considering the way games are selling these days, you'd think they'd be more than willing to get in on the ground floor of a new platform. This is true for all systems from Nintendo, Microsoft, and Sony.

There is still expense involved in making a port (I think some dev at some time said about 10% of total) so they have to be pretty sure they are going to recoup that if they spend the money. Take Two is not like Ubisoft who uses launches to establish some mindshare as well as do the "lower cost" launch game thing. It could very well cost Take Two several million to make a Wii U port depending on the ease of development and how their engine works.

I applaud Nintendo expanding the audience, I really do, and it's great to see a company that doesn't just want to churn out brown games. However if I look at their casual output, it all looks like good stuff, but their core stuff this close to launch and at the biggest video game show on the planet is not much to write home about. There is no way in hell that Take Two would not be putting GTA V out if this was a new PS or XBox console.

Nintendo can't afford to not be getting these games or it's perception will end up being like the Wii again. If lots of other core third party titles start coming out, others will jump on board, but we have to be very mindful of momentum. If it can't get momentum with core devs fast then it could be Wii again.

I'm just a little concerned that's all, given these bits of info we're getting lately.

Look guys, if Ubisoft reports their first 1-2 quarters of sales with Wii U in the mix, and the platform represents a significant portion of the overall sales, than of course the other publishers will follow.
Given the install bases I imagine it's unlikely, unless it's some casual game like Just Dance 4 (That I imagine will go to Wii too though). Then we might end up seeing more casual titles go there over anything else. It could backfire.

ozfunghi

For the same reason, I'm getting tired of my dad's super professional $1000 nikon and just want to buy another $100 compact digital camera.

I don't know where your dad gets his gear, but normally speaking a $1000 Nikon will not even be close to what is considered "pro" (let alone super, lol). But i get what you're saying. I don't like dragging around my 7D either for the same reason, there has to be a good reason before i bring it along. For family/vacation pics, i just use my phone, or the compact camera i gave my girlfriend for her birthday.

MDX

I am curious to think what "they" at Nintendo think about all of this. But this is something they have probably already considered.

When you turn the WiiU what will be the first thing you see?
The MiiVerse right? What people are playing.

When you turn on the Xbox720 or the PS4, what is the first thing you think you will see?
If its anything like this gen, it probably wont have anything to do with games.

And thats what third parties probably dont get, the WiiU is a games console first.
Supporting MS or (maybe) Sony's all in one box will basically put their games head to head
against their other services on that box. So their games will be competing for the user's time.

Obviously Nintendo will have similar services too, but they are secondary to games.

AzaK

When you turn the WiiU what will be the first thing you see?
The MiiVerse right? What people are playing.

When you turn on the Xbox720 or the PS4, what is the first thing you think you will see?
If its anything like this gen, it probably wont have anything to do with games.

And thats what third parties probably dont get, the WiiU is a games console first.
Supporting MS or (maybe) Sony's all in one box will basically put their games head to head
against their other services on that box. So their games will be competing for the user's time.

Obviously Nintendo will have similar services too, but they are secondary to games.
And I like how they are so games focused. Just make sure it has games I want to play. i.e The "western core" stuff!

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I am wondering when GAF will recover from E3 hysteria.

And hi guys, I didn't know there's a Wii U community thread active right now. I thought there wasn't one made after E3.

HylianTom

Banned
Even if a small handful of "core" (ugh) games does well after the launch, I could easily see third parties sticking to a set of standard excuses for why these successes magically don't count, or why they've decided to send Nintendo console owners "test games" all over again. Kinda like what happened after RE4 sold well.

We could see AC3 and ZombiU and Rayman do quite well, and then those results could be ignored or explained away. Strong evidence of a population of console owners willing to buy the next good, deep gaming experience - ignored. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest, and we have to prepare ourselves for this very real possibility.

And in a purely academic sense, I look forward to seeing how third-parties fare financially with the interesting choices they make. :)

Dr.Hadji

Really? I found Skyrim's overworld to be vastly more populated and interesting to travel through than the sky in Skyward Sword. You always had something to do, whether it was collect some flowers, fight off bandits, catch a butterfly, deal with some wandering quest person, fight off some wolves, or escape a dragon. And there were numerous small caves and keeps and things that were just small extra places to explore, not part of any quests. In Skyward Sword's "overworld" you...flew back and forth. Once in a while you could land on a small island with nothing to do on it, unless you had unlocked a chest on it.

That might all be true about Skyrim but all those things are still stretched out over a HUGE amount of space. I go a much longer time in between any of those activities you listed (if you take out flower pickin) than the minuet or so that it take me to fly/sail from node to node in a Zelda game (assuming there is literally nothing to do between nodes).

Of course, my issue with the game wasn't really that, but the lack of exploration-based gameplay. To me, Zelda has meant exploration, but in Skyward Sword, you had 3 linear levels that would unlock one after another, and then you'd be told to go back to one or the other a few times. At one poiint you could do all three in any order you wanted, but you still had to do all 3, the order didn't make any difference. This is quite a difference from Zelda games of the past, where you would get a new ability and then explore and find new places (that you may have seen before) that you could now go to using that ability.

Eh. Exploration and linearity aren't mutually exclusive ( and how Fargon Woods keeps being labeled as linear I'll never know). The "see a place in the distance and go there" is a great tool but there are many others out there. SS populates it's world with a lot of unorthodox methods to promote exploration and discovery but that Zelda base I've bolded in still in there. It might not be as prominent as you'd like but it is still one of the pillars of the game's design.

Hey everyone. I havent really been following this thread but I have some curiousity. Is there any direct feed footage of Batman and Ninja Gaiden in action? I'm looking forward to the improvements they should make in the games.

Terrell

Given the install bases I imagine it's unlikely, unless it's some casual game like Just Dance 4 (That I imagine will go to Wii too though). Then we might end up seeing more casual titles go there over anything else. It could backfire.

What install bases? The machine hasn't even come out yet.

AzaK

What install bases? The machine hasn't even come out yet.

That's what I mean. If you read the original post you'd see it was talking about Ubisofts sales and how if Wii U sales made a big part of that it might convince third parties. I was suggesting that give the fact that the Wii U will have a miniscule install base compared to other platforms, it's unlikely to be a big part of the sales, unless it's a casual game. This being because you don't really see those same casual games on 360 and PS3.

Terrell

That's what I mean. If you read the original post you'd see it was talking about Ubisofts sales and how if Wii U sales made a big part of that it might convince third parties. I was suggesting that give the fact that the Wii U will have a miniscule install base compared to other platforms, it's unlikely to be a big part of the sales, unless it's a casual game. This being because you don't really see those same casual games on 360 and PS3.

Well, I think my point was that we can't really point to demographics at this point by suggesting casual games will outpace anything, since we've got people saying NintendoLand won't capture the attention of casual gamers. And if that's the case, then all there is left is to sell these core titles to core gamers. And if the numbers hit a certain percentage of the install base, even if the sales numbers are low because it's on a new console, that percentage - the tie ratio - of core games is what's going to make the difference.

japtor

Digital Foundry got to play Wii U at the London event:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-hands-on-with-wii-u
Actually some pretty positive impressions (at least with the new games) and usual anal tech stuff:
In either of these games, gameplay projected to the HDTV is typically mirrored to the smaller screen, and the high level of clarity does heavily suggest that the controller is being sent a separate framebuffer to suit its native resolution, as opposed to having the HDTV's 1280x720 output downscaled. Such additional scaling would result in a degree of blurriness, which we do find to be somewhat true of games like New Super Mario Bros. U. In this case, we notice the lower display leaves Mario looking fuzzier than he perhaps should - and certainly not as crisply rendered compared to characters in Rayman Legends. Of course, this is based on a very early demo, and quality may be subject to change.

Latency also factors into the equation when using any wireless device, and memories of the PSP's heavily buffered Remote Play feature have us hoping for a significantly reduced delay between the higher and lower screens. Fortunately, we're pleased to find that latency here is impossible to pick out without some exacting method of measure. In testing the difference, we find results that completely subvert our expectations here; in instances where gameplay is mirrored between the two, the GamePad screen actually renders the image 116ms before the 50-inch LG screen does.
Outside of hardware we also kept a close vigil for any improvements in graphical effects, over and above the capabilities we've previously seen from Nintendo formats. Much of the new technology in the Wii U plays to the strengths of Nintendo's beautiful, heavily art-driven visual style, but there's still plenty of room to show off some technical firepower. New rendering effects were especially apparent in games such as Pikmin 3 and ZombiU, the first of which boasted some very detailed reflections on Olimar's glass helmet, and with some impressive radiosity effects around the nursery toys in the latter demo.

In this case, we see colours on objects, like inflated beach balls and coloured crates, bleed over to nearby surfaces according to the intensity of the light. For a game like ZombiU this can be an attention-grabbing sight around indoor settings, and a break from the dank darkness of the rest of the area where the player is directing the cone of the flashlight. Dynamic shadowing works well here too, though shadows do appear a tad blocky up close.
Above all, lighting is the area which has seen the greatest improvement in this generational leap. The bustling main hub area in Nintendo Land is filled with light sources, from the 3D particle effects that represent the fireworks and confetti, which each produce a vivid bloom, to the lights on the rotating carriages. Shadows move across the Mii's faces too as they wander around, adding subtle levels of depth.
The stellar third-party support on show from the likes Ubisoft and Platinum does give us a lot of hope for the prospects of the Wii U's starting line-up. We notice a pattern forming here, where many of the titles being made exclusively for the format seem nicely custom tailored to the capabilities of the hardware, not just in terms of using the dual-screen dynamic imposed by the GamePad, but also at a fundamental level where the console's CPU and graphics chip setup are concerned.

It remains worrying that direct ports of games currently optimised for the 360's architecture, which also boasts a tri-core IBM processor and AMD GPU, show only minor improvements or none at all. However, if the Wii U's release schedule can keep up the tempo with games like Project P-100 and Rayman Legends - both of which match Nintendo's line-up in terms of creative uses for the second screen - then it's set to have a very good run indeed.
We see superior reflections and transparencies playing across the collectible fruit and mushrooms in Pikmin, and a dynamic shadow system cropping up to spectacular effect in Nintendo Land's hub-world. We even see some richly detailed fabric textures and knitted enemies in the Zelda Battle Quest mini-game that are gorgeous to look at in motion. The best part about these improvements is that they're being dealt out in the distinctly reserved fashion that characterises Nintendo, where technology continues to serve its art. Right now, it's well on its way to embellishing its games in ways we'd always hoped they would.
Guess that echoes some speculation here, that ports probably wouldn't look so hot but new games could potentially take advantage of the new hardware properly.
Yes, but a massive financial disappointment. They will probably bury the project completely to cut their losses and focus on their other franchises. If a game sold that badly on 360/PS3 (in the US at least), there's really no point in porting it to Wii U for them.

Quite frankly DD just always looked off to me, I can't quite put my finger on this. Maybe it's the art style.
Well I think it did surprisingly well in Japan, so if they think the Wii U will at least do well there a port might make sense (and maybe do a US deal with Nintendo a la Monster Hunter?).
against their other services on that box.  So their games will be competing for the user's time.
Non games might take on a more literal meaning next generation.
Even if a small handful of "core" (ugh) games does well after the launch, I could easily see third parties sticking to a set of standard excuses for why these successes magically don't count, or why they've decided to send Nintendo console owners "test games" all over again.  Kinda like what happened after RE4 sold well.

We could see AC3 and ZombiU and Rayman do quite well, and then those results could be ignored or explained away.  Strong evidence of a population of console owners willing to buy the next good, deep gaming experience - ignored.  It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest, and we have to prepare ourselves for this very real possibility.

And in a purely academic sense, I look forward to seeing how third-parties fare financially with the interesting choices they make.  :)
Didn't some games take the "it did well on Wii...sequels should do much better on the HD consoles!" route?

Mpl90

Ok guys, NinjaScooter and Speedy Maniac are making the Jimmy Fallon's thread a bit "strange" right now, the hell.

HylianTom

Banned
You don't understand. They are "worried" about wiiu future. No one will buy it, it's too confusing!

Some need to take some anti-anxiety medicine, or meditate, or practice deep breathing, or go for a walk. The same concerned group of folks seem to constantly, obsessively "worry" about the Wii U - and about Nintendo's future in general - in many threads over there in Gaming.

Indeed, this is reminiscent of the heart-wrenching hand-wringing that went on before the Wii launch in 2006. Those poor, poor folks. It'll all be okay.. there, there.. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom