• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Effect

Hes also not the only one to mane the mistake. Blame Nintendo and their message, not Fallon.

This. I've said before that it shouldn't be hard to see that it's a new system. The system has been shown in pictures and doesn't look like a Wii. However this somehow keeps happening and it's on Nintendo. The name and the white color. Their own focus on the controller above all else and not the specs of the system. If this bites them in the ass in the end they'll deserve it. This was an issue seemingly from E3 2011.

sphagnum

Banned
Pretty basic, they showed off the ninja throwing star game in Nintendo Land and the Zombi U face transformation thing and Jimmy made a bunch of "THIS IS SOOOO COOOOOL" noises. Reggie made a point of it being a new system and they actually showed the console itself, but pretty briefly. I could still see a new consumer thinking it's a controller add-on to the Wii since it's all they really focused on.

They couldn't squeeze in two more minutes for a quick demo of NSMBU if just to show the TV to screen function? Jimmy and the audience would have loved that. And now they're bringing in those World Record book dorks? Yawn.

I really HATE Nintendo Land at this point.

what does Holiday Launch even mean?

it can't be december so it needs to be before Black Friday

They'd have to be brain dead to launch in Dec so why not just SAY November? Why does everything have to be so flipping top secret all the time?

They couldn't squeeze in two more minutes for a quick demo of NSMBU if just to show the TV to screen function? Jimmy and the audience would have loved that. And now they're bringing in those World Record book dorks? Yawn.

I really HATE Nintendo Land at this point.
I don't know. From a marketing perspective it might make more sense to focus on new games.

Zombi U and Nintendo Land have no counterpart on Wii. NSMB U and Pikmin 3 do.

Penguin

I feel like NintendoLand will just have a negative stigma associated with it because of how hard Nintendo tried to push it at E3.

So far, it seems like a fun outing with friends. It may lack the OMG, I need to buy this for my house spirit that Wii Sports has, but seems like a blast with the right audience.

Good grief, I can't believe they wasted the entire rest of the show with those boring World Record idiots and their moronic stunts.

I don't know. From a marketing perspective it might make more sense to focus on new games.

Zombi U and Nintendo Land have no counterpart on Wii. NSMB U and Pikmin 3 do.

Definitely wasn't expecting Pikmin, of course they can't market the system with that game. And they obviously aren't going to stop promoting Nintendo Land but two minutes of NSMBU is ALL I was asking for and should have been a no brainer to also promote the system to a TV audience but I guess it was either too much to ask of NOA and Fallon and his producers who thought a show featuring Sandler, Samberg, and a new Nintendo system on their self proclaimed VIDEO GAME WEEK needed padding from the World Record schmucks in the yellow jackets. Again, a perfect opportunity to show the TV to controller feature wasted. Oh well, just gotta keep that theme of incompetence from E3 going I guess.

unless NintendoLand is hotwired into my WiiU console I plan to not buy it... as a pack in I land to burn it with fire and flush it down my toilet

comic,spiderman,wolverine-288b7d70d70a2b79b0110da9290f2794_m.jpg

Lyude77

So did they ask the question?
No, no Q&A. Here's a summary, paraphrased but in quotes because I felt like it. :p

"Here's our new console (new console and controller on the table). We can revolutionize gaming with this controller. The way this controller changes gaming is by letting people who are playing the same game have much different experiences. The game that really demonstrates this is Nintendo Land (trailer in background). Nintendo Land consists of games based on franchises like Donkey Kong, Animal Crossing, Zelda, and Luigi's Mansion. The game we're going to play today is Takamura's Ninja Castle. Here, let me show you how to play." He shows him how to play. Jimmy says, "Wow this is awesome! All I have to do is flick, and it actually throws the stars. Show everyone the controller screen, there's a star on it." He shows it. Continues playing for a minute with light banter, Fallon does okay at it. Audience enjoys it. Jimmy says, "What about the other game you're showing?" Trailer for Zombie U begins in the background. Reggie, "It's called Zombie U. Everyone likes zombies, right?" (some applause) "In this game, you have to run for your life and kill zombies. If you are eaten, though, you have to go back and kill your old self to get your items back." (audience approval) "Today, I'm going to show you another mode in the game, one that makes you a zombie." Jimmy does the thing done during E3, where it turns his face into a Zombie face, and says, "Wow, this is awesome. I look so gross!" and plays around with his mouth, looking around, etc.

Then it ends, and Fallon spends the rest of the show doing world records.

Edit: For the (world?) record, I agree they should have shown NSMBU as an example of off-screen play, but I know they're going to advertise it a ton come launch day, so I'm not too bothered.

HylianTom

Banned
unless NintendoLand is hotwired into my WiiU console I plan to not buy it... as a pack in I land to burn it with fire and flush it down my toilet

There's a large part of me that, as fun as the game may be, wants a standalone release of this game so that it can bomb. Nintendo needs to learn. I'm sure it'll be a lovely game, but I want them to see that deeper gaming experiences will do much better for them sales-wise.

And confession time? In all of this time, I've never, ever played Wii Sports. On Launch Day for the Wii, I tried Trauma Center for a day or two and then spent the next few months with Twilight Princess. I guess I need to turn-in my fanman card..

*ducks*

I have my autocorrect you guys keep quoting me and I read what I ended up with and go... WTF was that?

if its confession time... I have yet to play Zelda Skyward Swords thanks to that damn motion controls I never wanted a Wiimote only Zelda

LLShC.gif

I really have to order a copy before this becomes another Majora's Mask regret (never played)

edit: I also feel stupid lately waiting for my WiiU to stream Xenoblade on my GamePad... I forgot the game would need to have a code scripted to support streaming to the pad :(

snesfreak

Banned
I have my autocorrect you guys keep quoting me and I read what I ended up with and go... WTF was that?

if its confession time... I have yet to play Zelda Skyward Swords thanks to that damn motion controls I never wanted a Wiimote only Zelda

LLShC.gif
You're not missing much.
It's a shit game and Nintendo should apologize for it.
/Amir0x

There's a large part of me that, as fun as the game may be, wants a standalone release of this game so that it can bomb. Nintendo needs to learn. I'm sure it'll be a lovely game, but I want them to see that deeper gaming experiences will do much better for them sales-wise.

And confession time? In all of this time, I've never, ever played Wii Sports. On Launch Day for the Wii, I tried Trauma Center for a day or two and then spent the next few months with Twilight Princess. I guess I need to turn-in my fanman card..

*ducks*

Hoping for the failure of NintendoLand is irrational as a Nintendo fan, which I presume you are. Surely you realize that Nintendo's success with games that, for one reason or another, may not be your cup of tea still benefits you in the long run.

I hate Skyward Sword outside a few choice dungeons. For every one minute of fun, there's five minutes of boring work/talking you gotta get through. Not a good balance.

But you should play it anyway, mileage may vary and all that.

edit: I used to not like touchscreen phones, but I'm getting better at them since i got an Android. The spellcheck helps.

It has a few minor annoyances and a couple things I wish they had done differently, but overall it's a great game.

I'm worried about the downloading the patch they released for it, not sure what it was about because I've been on blackout

I have to see if I can get my Wii online again... I need to spend the next few months playing that and xeno

snesfreak

Banned
I hate Skyward Sword outside a few choice dungeons. For every one minute of fun, there's five minutes of boring work/talking you gotta get through. Not a good balance.

But you should play it anyway, mileage may vary and all that.

edit: I used to not like touchscreen phones, but I'm getting better at them since i got an Android. The spellcheck helps.
I love hyperbole.

HylianTom

Banned
Hoping for the failure of NintendoLand is irrational as a Nintendo fan, which I presume you are. Surely you realize that Nintendo's success with games that, for one reason or another, may not be your cup of tea still benefits you in the long run.

I have a rationale behind my wish, and realize that failure on this front would be detrimental in some respects. But in the long run, Nintendo would survive such a failure easily, and there's a chance, however small, that Nintendo would learn a lesson about emphasizing such games for their consoles.

(and if it does succeed.. I'll look on the bright side that Nintendo profiting = more Nintendo games in the future..)

I have a rationale behind my wish, and realize that failure on this front would be detrimental in some respects. But in the long run, Nintendo would survive such a failure easily, and there's a chance, however small, that Nintendo would learn a lesson about emphasizing such games for their consoles.

(and if it does succeed.. I'll look on the bright side that Nintendo profiting = more Nintendo games in the future..)

I appreciate where you're coming from. I think we all want things to be slightly different about how Nintendo does its business. Still, I'm always willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and if I don't like a game they produce, such as Pokemon in my case, I'll pretend it doesn't exist.

AniHawk

skyward sword is legend of zelda galaxy. the first mario galaxy had a boring hubworld, was too easy for the first half of the game in exchange for getting you used to the controls, and had way too much text. but then there are parts that are good and sometimes (rarely) outright brilliant. oh, and the music's really good too.

snesfreak

Banned
Make the sky a little more populated, tone down Fi, fix the item collection thing, and replace that one section completely and there you go.
Maybe tweak some of the controls a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom