• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

z0m3le

Banned
I couldn't imagine not being excited for a new console launch from Nintendo, I mean the Wii might have been a mixed bag for some of you, but it still brought amazing software you'll never find on a Sony or Microsoft console. Even if the Wii U was only slightly more powerful than PS360, those systems get ports from games that are released right now on much more powerful hardware than we'll ever get in the PS4/XB3.

Wii U is for instance really supporting the Wiimote, a new classic controller for those who love the 360 controller, that new gamepad with the screen which will finally give us remote play on most games and give us innovation again... I own a PC and there is nothing coming from Sony or Microsoft as far as hardware, that excites me. I just don't understand the gloom in these threads, is it the marketing? that hasn't started yet? or that E3 conference didn't reveal enough?

I guess you might not like the launch games? I've found 4 or 5 that seem awesome, and we are slowly hearing about 3rd party support actually coming to Wii U, unlike before E3 when developers were saying "fat chance" "I'd want to do something unique with the controller"

I think even those of you disappointed right now will get pretty excited for it when it launches here in a few months. Just try to think ahead to all the amazing stuff the console will without a doubt bring you.

Azure J

OK so I go away from the thread to play actual games (gasp) and now I find out there's been an epic meltdown in here. I don't know how anyone could ever so much as suggest though that the games are what drives the consoles. I don't give two shits about what something's running on as long as it's fun and visually varied.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
However good Rayman Legends will be(aka without the touch screen options), it'll be the same kind of good on the other platforms when it's inevitably announced. Doesn't exactly excite me about the innovation of the Wii-U GamePad.
Just out of curiosity, what pad usage would excite you?

it will be interesting to see how this generation plays out. Allow me one more curve ball to this discussion, do you think developers would prefer one standard platform from the big 3?

Having a standard would result in dramatically slower systems and achingly long differences between generations. I'm talking TV resolution length. If they implemented OCF in the '90s, I suspect we'd be right now discussing starting to implement Wii-level hardware at best, and the prices would be pretty high. When something is a commodity, it has to be (relatively quickly) priced somewhere that the market can bear, and it has to be sold at a profit pretty much from the onset.

Decade plus generations would be normal, true, but you wouldn't get "bleeding edge" when the new one comes out.

This would also open the market up to a massive, massive upset if another company decides to defy the standard and introduce something massively more powerful during the midpoint of the generation. At that point, they'd be able to do such a thing not at a loss, and the performance would be so far beyond what is available that it would be impossible to not notice a difference. And there would be companies willing to make games for the "nonstandard" system, because there'd be a sudden potential market for it.

Standardized game platforms are an incredibly tricky and possibly overly unsustainable concept, perhaps even more than the "loss loser" philosophy of the current generation.

Redford

aka Cabbie
I couldn't imagine not being excited for a new console launch from Nintendo, I mean the Wii might have been a mixed bag for some of you, but it still brought amazing software you'll never find on a Sony or Microsoft console. Even if the Wii U was only slightly more powerful than PS360, those systems get ports from games that are released right now on much more powerful hardware than we'll ever get in the PS4/XB3.

The only things that worry me right now are the irrational fear that it won't be "future-proof," and the return of the drip-feed.

Are there any pieces of PR or info that would allay the second?

Penguin

I don't see why not. This trailer plays just as well even with Wii U guy kinda hanging out there not do anything.

Oh.. that's cool

Thought it was special that two people could be playing the same game with different objective while working together.

Curious if will incorporate it into the other versions.

Also, watching this, curious if its something or nothing at all.

I seriously think Nintendo has banned Game Informer, they are kind of not working with us. Ban them back? @nintendoamerica

https://twitter.com/GI_AndyMc/status/215196002649518081

Just out of curiosity, what pad usage would excite you?

It would have to be something like P-100. Something built from the ground-up to use the GamePad specifically, more then just "oh, here's a map on your screen" and "Hey look you can put blocks in Mario games if you suck and need to get somewhere without putting in the work to do it". Something that when I play it, I can't imagine playing the game without it, like the way you enter a building in P-100 and the game plays out on both the main screen and inside on the small screen. Something new, something different, something clever or exciting. Stuff like the Rayman or NSMBU seem like something I could just as easily play with a normal controller and I wouldn't miss much.

I think I may be the only one that really wants Nintendo to fail hard with WiiU
I want it to hurt them so bad they never question the need for powerful CPU/GPU ever again
but with so many sheep out there Nintendo failing is harder than people think, the price will not be out of reach for most casuals

anakin_obi_wan_pre_final_duel_mustafar_rots_1.jpg.w300h169.jpg

Anakin Skies and Cries-Walker: I have my Nintendo, you will not take her from me!

Obi-Wan Iwata-nobi: Your anger and lust for power have already done that!

maybe its just me... I don't have the last few marios for my Wii or my 3DS, I don't have the last few Zelda's from DS or Skyward Swords

Huh? So you only played SMG1 and skipped NSMBWii, SMG2, AND SM3DLand? Am I reading that right?

Anyways, I'm as mad at Nintendo's E3 performance as anyone and wish they'd add a bit more power, but hoping for them to fail and get themselves into a MS or Sony style mess of losses because their output isn't exactly to your tastes is over the top bitter and destructive. I wouldn't wish MS or Sony to go out of business either. And please don't get mad and try to have a sense of humor about the Star Wars stuff I posted, Ok?

I don't know how to reply to this dude....but something is telling me that you are starting to cross over to the dark side lol

tumblr_m4epq2kdB11rwbapso2_500.jpg

Rösti;39047072 said:
Does this give you voting rights? For the 72nd Annual General Meeting of Shareholders on the 28th of June, voting (for executives) will be available online through http://www.web54.net.

I doubt I have enough shares. I did get dividends last time I did this, so I'm hoping for more than the same.

In this case, btw, a pink sheet share is 1/8 of a Japanese common share, and I don't expect that I'd get voting rights with less than 100 japanese common shares.

The real win here for me will be if they manage to generate good sales and hype again. I think that after the slide down hill over the last couple of years that they're pretty darn undervalued. I'll sell about half when it gets to the high 20s (to make my money back) and then hold on to the rest to see where it goes. Last time I did this my shares went from $31 a share to $71 a share before I sold. It was pretty darn insane.

Having a standard would result in dramatically slower systems and achingly long differences between generations. I'm talking TV resolution length. If they implemented OCF in the '90s, I suspect we'd be right now discussing starting to implement Wii-level hardware at best, and the prices would be pretty high. When something is a commodity, it has to be (relatively quickly) priced somewhere that the market can bear, and it has to be sold at a profit pretty much from the onset.

Decade plus generations would be normal, true, but you wouldn't get "bleeding edge" when the new one comes out.

This would also open the market up to a massive, massive upset if another company decides to defy the standard and introduce something massively more powerful during the midpoint of the generation. At that point, they'd be able to do such a thing not at a loss, and the performance would be so far beyond what is available that it would be impossible to not notice a difference. And there would be companies willing to make games for the "nonstandard" system, because there'd be a sudden potential market for it.

Standardized game platforms are an incredibly tricky and possibly overly unsustainable concept, perhaps even more than the "loss loser" philosophy of the current generation.

thanks for taking the time to reply, you helped me understand better why this standard would not work today.

BY2K

Membero Americo
So GameTrailers gave it's "Most Disappointing" award to Nintendo Land. One of the complains being the visuals.

I though Nintendo Land didn't looked half bad, especially the Zelda mini game.

Am I the only one thinking this?

BD1

Banned
Hmm.... Batman @ #1?
An old port?
I dont understand...

I think Batman is going to do pretty well on Wii U. There are lots of Wii owners/families who don't necessarily have one of the HD Twins and thus did did not play Arkham City. Batman has universal appeal and will have the wind of The Dark Knight Rises at its back.

Batman is a HUGE property; I wouldn't underestimate even a year old enhanced port.

I think Nintendo Land gets more hate because it was the big showcase for the Wii-U instead of like, next-gen Zelda or whatever Retro is doing. I know my heart sank when they ended on, "Before we go, let's have one more walk through Nintendoland" and it was a bunch of Miis walking around with weak fireworks going on. It made everyone leave with a feeling of "That's it!?"

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
It would have to be something like P-100. Something built from the ground-up to use the GamePad specifically, more then just "oh, here's a map on your screen" and "Hey look you can put blocks in Mario games if you suck and need to get somewhere without putting in the work to do it". Something that when I play it, I can't imagine playing the game without it, like the way you enter a building in P-100 and the game plays out on both the main screen and inside on the small screen. Something new, something different, something clever or exciting. Stuff like the Rayman or NSMBU seem like something I could just as easily play with a normal controller and I wouldn't miss much.
Well, I beg to differ. P-100's ground-up use of the pad comes down to the robust touch gestures system. Nothing else demonstrated in the videos so far is not doable with a single display output. On the other hand, the touch interactions for the touch player in rayman and NSMBU offer unique abilities to that player, particularly if they're not that skilled with the traditional joystick/d-pad controls.

BTW, I fully expect that the u-pad and the vita versions of rayman will offer the smallest gameplay lag possible, which can be another benefit for some people.

BlackJace

So GameTrailers gave it's "Most Disappointing" award to Nintendo Land. One of the complains being the visuals.

I though Nintendo Land didn't looked half bad, especially the Zelda mini game.

It's GameTrailers. Don't lose any sleep on it ;)

BY2K

Membero Americo
And would people please stop calling SmartGlass the Wii U's bane? They are similar, yes, but isn't SmartGlass kept to menus and interface options while the Wii U Pad has the gameplay options too?

MDX

Even this generation seems too long.

Sony and Microsoft make big losses because they sell their hardware at loss, thats why they need such long lifecycles to get any profit out of it.

Financially seen, this is a dumb strategy. Aside from PS2/PS1, no system proofed it can last ~10 years and video game developers are confronted with higher and higher development costs. A lot of them didn't survive this.

I have to actually disagree with this.
This problem was going to happen eventually, this gen or next.
Nintendo tried to slow the process down with the Wii, but they had to embrace
HD eventually. Now I bet they plan on a longer cycle for the WiiU, like 7 years.

The HD generation for developers means larger teams, longer production cycles.
If a developer was putting all their eggs in one basket on a game they had been
working on for 2 to 4 years for a five year cycle, well they would be setting themselves up for failure.
This doesn't mean a ten year cycle would automatically save them, but their initial investment into the console would have less of a financial impact.

Shorter life cycles means less impressive looking games by developers not under the umbrella of a big publisher. Im sure an independent developer would want to at least get three to four games in a cycle. Where they are betting that one of the four becomes a windfall.

Well, I beg to differ. P-100's ground-up use of the pad comes down to the robust touch gestures system. Nothing else demonstrated in the videos so far is not doable with a single display output. On the other hand, the touch interactions for the touch player in rayman and NSMBU offer unique abilities to that player, particularly if they're not that skilled with the traditional joystick/d-pad controls.

BTW, I fully expect that the u-pad and the vita versions of rayman will offer the smallest gameplay lag possible, which can be another benefit for some people.

Have you seen the P-100 section I was talking about? It's here at 5:50. The main screen stays in the isometric perspective, while the GamePad screen takes an over the shoulder interior viewpoint, and you have to work with conjuction to both of them. Now I guess you do like a split screen or a little screen that shows you the numbers, but I think stuff like that is cool and can possibly lead to other interesting uses in the game.

I have no interest in the Rayman/NSMBU additions. Not only do they require another player using the GamePad, but like you said, it seems made for the "Hey I'm helping" player who isn't very good at video games. Works for children and trying to get your non-game savvy girlfriend into it, but looking at from a solo player like myself, stuff like that doesn't excite me in the least.

donny2112

LOLMiniGamesCantHaveGoodGrafixLOL

Edit:
The Digital Foundry writeup of the graphical effects seen in the NintendoLand playing should be enough to show that GT would be just plain wrong here. Unless they're just talking about the graphics not appealing to them, in which case their opinion is just that.

MDX

Nintendo offering “insane incentives” to publish on Wii U eShop

“They’re offering insane incentives for publishers to sell retail games as downloads on the console. You’d be stupid not to take advantage of it and go retail box-only”, he said, adding “The new platform is perfect for indie devs, it’s a whole different ball game than WiiWare. They’ve learned a lot from that mess”.

When we asked what the “insane incentives” on the Wii U eShop were, he replied: “It’s just a much bigger revenue cut that you’d get selling it on any other platform at the moment, plus promotions on the online store. If they [Nintendo] pull it off and it gains traction, it’ll press the other guys [Microsoft and Sony] to give more of the revenue to the publishers. It’s very good for us who make games”.

http://wiiudaily.com/2012/06/nintendo-offering-insane-incentives-to-publish-on-wii-u-eshop/

AzaK

Even this generation seems too long.

Sony and Microsoft make big losses because they sell their hardware at loss, thats why they need such long lifecycles to get any profit out of it.

Financially seen, this is a dumb strategy. Aside from PS2/PS1, no system proofed it can last ~10 years and video game developers are confronted with higher and higher development costs. A lot of them didn't survive this.

This is possible a silver lining to the Wii U's cloud. If MS and Sony go for 10 years again, Nintendo could be planning a 5 year Wii U cycle and come in mid their cycle with essentially an upgrade. Giving graphics a boost again.

Daily habit for me:

http://www.google.com/finance?cid=685139

Bought at the start of this month. $14.14 a share. You'll see my happiness rise and fall with Nintendo's stock price.
Ahh, no wonder I'm such a grumpy prick at the moment.

anakin_obi_wan_pre_final_duel_mustafar_rots_1.jpg.w300h169.jpg

Anakin Skies and Cries-Walker: I have my Nintendo, you will not take her from me!

Obi-Wan Iwata-nobi: Your anger and lust for power have already done that!

Huh? So you only played SMG1 and skipped NSMBWii, SMG2, AND SM3DLand? Am I reading that right?

Anyways, I'm as mad at Nintendo's E3 performance as anyone and wish they'd add a bit more power, but hoping for them to fail and get themselves into a MS or Sony style mess of losses because their output isn't exactly to your tastes is over the top bitter and destructive. I wouldn't wish MS or Sony to go out of business either. And please try to have a sense of humor about the Star Wars stuff I posted, Ok?

tumblr_m4epq2kdB11rwbapso2_500.jpg

Dark side thing is more true than you can ever imagine.
Nintendo is still being gun-shy on a clear message after a year of waiting, I wanted somethings cleared up. I had hopes tied up on the WiiU changing my gaming habits.

I have amused you guys long enough today so I'll try to remind those of you that know me around here why the WiiU mattered to me. Its not like I have not posted about it before.

To be fair to Nintendo, my down turn in gaming has not been all Nintendo's doing. My lost of vision played a HUGE part in it, started getting worst years ago. I still struggle with my vision and glasses do not help the blind spots.

I stopped watching fansub Anime which my Avatar represents, and pretty much stopped bothering to play my Wii games out of frustration unless it was something really good. Platforming with bad vision sucked for me so unless the Mario game brought a lot of new things I did not try hoping I would wait until
I found a medical solution to fixing my vision issues so I played games on my laptop and DS now 3DS but cannot see 3D (frustration)

I do own
SMG1 (played to the end)
TP (played to the end)
NSMBWii (played an hour or two total)
Muramasa: The Demon Blade (spent two months playing this. love it)
My Life as a Little King’s Story (became addicted)
Super Smash Bros. Brawl (single player was not there for me)
I have a few Rayman Raving Rabbids around here somewhere

WiiU's GamePad streaming felt like a huge solution to my eye issues since I had an easier time playing games on my laptop and not standing 10 feet away from my TV with wiimote

I made the error of thinking it would stream Wii titles so I can go back and collect Nintendo Titles I gave up on buying like SMG2

I have Xenoblade sitting here.

I did not think about the Wii BC would need on software codes to stream these games to the WiiU GamePad

I am not sure my dream of going back to those games can ever be real
and after E3 most of these games are not streaming to this GamePad anyway well not for full gameplay you still need your TV for most of these games. Thus as much as some of you had a hard E3. My need for WiiU goes back to as useful as my Wii has been as far as my vision still sucks

My shitting on Nintendo is my frustration with not coming clean on these details so I would have not hoped for this for over a year until I understood my big mistake in thinking Wii BC means streaming away from my TV

3DS has been fun I have enjoyed it so far but seriously the screen is way too small for me
damn you Nikkei and your 3DS XL rumor!

I'm not having fun as a gamer, not because Nintendo has suddenly sucked on message but because I saw something in WiiU that could have changed my experience for the better only to find out this will be very limited change from the norm.

Anyone who knew my post history on GAF/NintendoGAF would have known this is were my frustration was coming from.

since meltdowns are amusing to most of you, and just calling someone stupid is enough to dismiss them I played along.

But imagine loving Nintendo games and having a vision issue rob you from an experience you once loved? Playing is more frustrating than fun on my HDTV... my vision sucked SD could not matter much but when I see things in HD it helps a little.

Maybe I'll just wait until Nintendo Remixes these games on eShop DD and they are streamable maybe... and the resolution of the screen matters. Did Nintendo send me a clear message about any of these hopes? Nah. I'm in Limbo not sure if I want to spend and not use the thing. I just have to read about it on GAF when the big game threads get filled up.

Rösti;39046882 said:
Unfortunately not. I had to think about what he best could answer, and something like that I doubt is documented in any white papers. However, if he responds to my e-mail I can perhaps send more questions and include it then.

That'd be cool, thanks for listening. Btw, sorry but I realized I don't know what your site/blog is?

Penguin

Rewatching the Rayman Legends trailer, and it made me think how cool asymmetric couch co-op could be.

Was talking to a friend. Imagine like a game built around the concept of escort missions.

One person has to hide, find alternate paths to avoid damage on the subscreen.
While the other engages in like clearing the path for them
disabling cameras
distracting guards
Locating ammo or secure locations to hide.

Would encourage constant communication.. and really make escort missions at least somewhat enjoyable.

Rewatching the Rayman Legends trailer, and it made me think how cool asymmetric couch co-op could be.

Was talking to a friend. Imagine like a game built around the concept of escort missions.

One person has to hide, find alternate paths to avoid damage on the subscreen.
While the other engages in like clearing the path for them
disabling cameras
distracting guards
Locating ammo or secure locations to hide.

Would encourage constant communication.. and really make escort missions at least somewhat enjoyable.
Wii U Pad + eShop + crazy indie devs = bulletbillddestroyingearth.gif

japtor

p.s. I'm still burning a copy of NintendoLand nothing you can do to stop me >:D
If it comes preinstalled or as a free download will you burn the console itself?
(trimmed down save space)

Depends how they do it. If they basically go off the current console model, yeah I think it'd suck. I imagine if they ever went this route they'd basically follow the rest of the software industry and go...not so standard hardware wise. Like computers and now phones/tablets, upgrade the hardware relatively quickly while keeping the software compatible forwards and backwards to an extent. Obviously you lose the benefit and simplicity of fixed hardware, but if there's only a few hardware choices to begin with (like iOS rather than Android) it's much more manageable.

Still I don't see it happening unless all of them get killed off, or one becomes a massive leader above the others.
I think Batman is going to do pretty well on Wii U. There are lots of Wii owners/families who don't necessarily have one of the HD Twins and thus did did not play Arkham City. Batman has universal appeal and will have the wind of The Dark Knight Rises at its back.

Batman is a HUGE property; I wouldn't underestimate even a year old enhanced port.
...and then publishers will use that evidence to justify giving Wii U owners ports of old PS360 games rather than anything new. (Well I wouldn't mind ports of some stuff, as long as it's not the only stuff)
And would people please stop calling SmartGlass the Wii U's bane? They are similar, yes, but isn't SmartGlass kept to menus and interface options while the Wii U Pad has the gameplay options too?
They didn't really show enough about it that I know of. I could see them running into issues/limitations with it on iOS devices (cause Apple's store rules), but they'll have full reign on Surface tablets. The main issue I can see is latency unless they figured out their own fast way of doing it as well.

Replying to someone else here, as far as the odds of success for the Surface tablet itself, I figure worst case they'll be like Apple in the 80s-90s, far behind but ultimately surviving as #2 while others get killed off. Best case I see them being pretty successful with it...which I think would be interesting if that manages to affect the Android phone market, halo effect and all that, like someone gets a Surface tablet and loves it, decides to get a Windows Phone.
Wii U Pad + eShop + crazy indie devs = bulletbillddestroyingearth.gif
Yeah I'm really hoping for nice indie stuff and even smaller games from the bigger devs...hell arcade games are most of my 360 library. (Dammit Nintendo, give Cave a boatload of cash already!)

Finally found the new thread :).

Lol i feel the same mate and i feel i must apologise to BG and Ideaman for the comments i made about them in a post i made the day after E3.

The devastation of seeing only Nintendo Land, Pikmin 3 and NSMBU (which i think could all be done in SD on the original Wii) as the big first party titles when i was expecting F Zero, Starfox at launch or at least in the launch window along with trailars for Mario Universe, Zelda, Metroid, Mario Kart and Retros new game made me a bit crazy :(.

Again i offer my apologies to BG and Ideaman.

Now that E3 is over and the NDA's are done can third party developers not reveal the full tech specs of the Wii U, we know it has a pretty nice Tri Core CPU and 1.5GB's of Ram but i think everyone is wondering where the GPU falls between 400 and 1000 FLOPs.

Never saw what you said and as I've said I only pass on what I've heard so I'm not bothered by how a person takes it or reacts to it. You felt the need to apologize, then so be it. But even if I saw your post I wouldn't have said that was necessary.

Sorry to hear about your vision problems, Smiles. I hope you can find something to improve it someday.

But you gotta at least try to play SMG2 and Mario 3DLand someday. :)

NSMBWii is great as well, some of World 9 stages are amazing.

I still haven't played both TP and Skyward Sword but that's mainly because I've always preferred Mario and Metroid and have too many other games.

Wii U is for instance really supporting the Wiimote, a new classic controller for those who love the 360 controller, that new gamepad with the screen which will finally give us remote play on most games and give us innovation again... I own a PC and there is nothing coming from Sony or Microsoft as far as hardware, that excites me. I just don't understand the gloom in these threads, is it the marketing? that hasn't started yet? or that E3 conference didn't reveal enough?

I guess you might not like the launch games? I've found 4 or 5 that seem awesome, and we are slowly hearing about 3rd party support actually coming to Wii U, unlike before E3 when developers were saying "fat chance" "I'd want to do something unique with the controller"

I think even those of you disappointed right now will get pretty excited for it when it launches here in a few months. Just try to think ahead to all the amazing stuff the console will without a doubt bring you.

I think a lot of people (including myself) were really let down by E3 because we never got that 'Wow now this is next gen !, it's just not possible on current gen hardware' feeling.

What we got was Nintendo Land, Pikmin 3, Project P-100, Lego City, ZombiU (which all except ZombiU could run on the Wii in SD imo), some awful casual / shovelware and a few games that will have been out for almost a year when Wii U launches.

The biggest letdown for me regarding the show was that there was not even a 60 second trailer of the big games that are in development, people don't just buy a console for whats available at launch but for what is in it's future.

Take the exact same conference but add in a 60 second clip right at the end showing even 10 seconds each of Mario Universe, Metroid, Zelda, Smash Bros, Starfox and F Zero showing a real leap in graphics over Wii and running in HD and the roof would have came off that arena and Nintendo would have blown away both Sony and MS.

Judging from that Reggie twitter question video it sounds as if Nintendo Land will be a seperate game and not a pack in and it seems at least two out of the really good 'launch window' games could not be out until Feb / March 2013.

I will buy the console if it's £200 with Nintendo Land packed in and Pikmin is out on launch day, if it's £250 with no free games and Pikmin is not out until 2013 then it can wait until Winter 2013 for me, i can play all the big games i want in late 2012 / first half of 2013 on PC.

AzaK

I think a lot of people (including myself) were really let down by E3 because we never got that 'Wow now this is next gen !, it's just not possible on current gen hardware' feeling.

Absolutely. Nintendo are either ignorant, or just don't care that we've seen graphics MUCH better than what they showed for many years now.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
bgassassin, how yours conspiracy to misdirect the vg journalist media going on?

This is possible a silver lining to the Wii U's cloud. If MS and Sony go for 10 years again, Nintendo could be planning a 5 year Wii U cycle and come in mid their cycle with essentially an upgrade. Giving graphics a boost again.
2 year cycle ala Apple!

What we got was Nintendo Land, Pikmin 3, Project P-100, Lego City, ZombiU (which all except ZombiU could run on the Wii in SD imo), some awful casual / shovelware and a few games that will have been out for almost a year when Wii U launches.
Anyone who says Pikmin 3 could run on the Wii is blind..seriously.

Effect

They never should have pulled Retro's game even if it wasn't anywhere close to being done. Had Nintendo allowed or made Retro show just a little bit of their game I think that would have stopped all this concern coming from people. It would have given people a taste of what was to come and what Nintendo's teams, or at least one of them was capable of. The sting of just having launch games wouldn't be there I think. Didn't help that Halo 4 looked very Metroid Prime-ish. Making the absence of Retro all the more noticeable.

Nintendo and Wii U doesn't exist in a bubble. People won't judge it on it's own merits. It will be compared with the other systems and games. Batman looking worse then the other versions when it came to running on the Wii U does not help. Situations like that is something Nintendo can't have if they don't want to Wii U to just be a casual/family console like the Wii. It gets them money yes but they don't want to just be known for that or they wouldn't have tried to sell the Wii U as a system for core gamers as well. Crap like that can not continue to happen. How they allowed Batman to be showcased and not ZombiU or even Rayman Legends (though I understand this as it makes the new Mario game look boring and somewhat lazy by comparison) when it was known I believe (it had to be) it didn't look better then the other versions or at least didn't have any imperfections is crazy to me.

Oddduck

They never should have pulled Retro's game even if it wasn't anywhere close to being done. Had Nintendo allowed or made Retro show just a little bit of their game I think that would have stopped all this concern coming from people. It would have given people a taste of what was to come and what Nintendo's teams, or at least one of them was capable of. The sting of just having launch games wouldn't be there I think. Didn't help that Halo 4 looked very Metroid Prime-ish. Making the absence of Retro all the more noticeable.

You make it sound like Retro's Wii U game is already a killer app just because it's made by Retro, and yet nobody knows what they are working on.

I hope Retro's game (a game nobody has any information on) lives up to people's ridiculously insane expectations.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
All the hate on NintendoLand basically confirms to me that I'm a bit disconnected from the "core" gamer. Yeah, it shouldn't of been the finale at the press conference, but the game still looks awesome and seems to be getting great hands-on from almost everyone who has played it.

I've even come to terms with it replacing Wii Sports (as long as I get a Wii Sports U down the road).

Ok i get the point those games prob couldn't run on Wii but if the resolution was reduced to SD and some of the textures scaled back then i don't see a problem at all with the statement.

My point is that there was nothing on show to suggest 'this is not only a generational leap over PS360 but a massive leap over the original Wii'.

The rumoured specs of Wii U on the speculation threads just before E3 were '1.5GB of Ram, Tri Core CPU and a 480 FLOP GPU', (thats 17 times more Ram and 40 times the power of the original Wii GPU), did they show anything off at E3 2012 that came anywhere close to 40 times the power graphically ?, if so i must have missed that part...

To go from the Zelda and Bird tech demos at E3 2011 to Nintendo Land and NSMB U at E3 2012 shows a massive shift in Nintendo's attitude and strategy towards Wii U imo.

People won't accept it but i think those tech demos from E3 2011 were running on Wii U 'target hardware'.

I personally think they went with a much weaker / slower clocked GPU in Wii U than the one that was used to show those demos at E3 2011 due to manufacturing costs.

I will give them until TGS 2012 to prove me wrong and show a big IP, built from the ground up using the full power of Wii U.

Show Nintendo Land, NSMB U and Pikmin 3 to a normal person (i.e. not someone who reads gaming news sites / forums everyday) and i doubt they would say it was on a next gen console and would prob guess they were Wii games.

ASIS

Fair enough lol. I'm just so...angry that people think Pikmin 3 looks like it could run on the Wii. The textures are better than anything the Wii could ever produce.

Obviously its hyperbole, but I think what people actually mean by that is that you don't need WiiU level of power (or even 360, for that matter) to run Pikmin 3.

It already looks great because of its artstyle, but they can make it look even better.

Oddduck

What's worse is people who think Pikmin 3 looks exactly the same as Pikmin 2.

Pikmin 3 is an odd game graphically. It has moments where it looks beautiful (the lighting effects on the leaves/fruit or the beautiful water).

But there are many moments where plenty of textures on the ground look bland and crappy like a Wii game.

It looks very much like a game that started development on the Wii. But it wouldn't be possible to do some of those graphical enhancements on the Wii.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom