• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Games 2014

Sendou

Wish the Wii U would get another decent fighter other than Smash on the system.

You have to believe that Pokkén is coming. In addition to that I thought Tekken Tag Tournament 2 was considered more than decent?

I crave some new game reveals...2014 seems so empty...Metroid universe empty...

There have to be more games in developemet...there have to.

That's how Nintendo rolls. Let's see if we get a bigger January Direct like we did last year.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
I must have been asleep when that happened, because in my mind Metroid Prime and Call of Duty WaW had already done that by that time. And Both games were quite a bit better than the Conduit. But maybe i have the releases mixed up but i doubt it.
Release dates

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption - August 27, 2007
Call of Duty: World at War - November 11, 2008
The Conduit - June 23, 2009

Hiltz

As far as Capcom goes, they seem to be supportive of most platforms, but they'll naturallt focus more on 3DS than Wii U. They weren't fully commited to go all out on Wii U early on, so they began by testing the waters with HD ports of 3DS first. Fortunately, MH3U HD was a success for them (500k) and RE Revelations HD also sold very well (900k combined platform sales), but we don't know how much the Wii U version sold for the latter.

Capcom USA's former senior vice president had said there were more Wii U projects planned out, and that most of them were not current-gen ports (he specicially mention no re 6 or dead space 3 ports). However, given how poor Wii U third party sales have been overall, it seems like Capcom probably canceled a few projects for it. I still have faith that Nintendo can work with Capcom on a project or two, but my biggest fear is that the next full-fledged Monster Hunter title won't be coming to Wii U... and that's the one I want above all else. Naturally, Capcom will be observing how well PS4 performs in Japan, how quickly its install base rises, and weighing the issue of rising development costs of next-gen vs. last-gen. On the bright side, Wii U sales have begun to finally pick up pace, but it still needs to make up for lost time and third party sales are overall still performing pretty poorly.

Its hard to say what Monster Games may be up to. We know they have little to no experience in HD development, and that its last game, Pilot Wings Resort, came out almost 3 years ago (March 2011). They would be a great candidate for something like Wave Race. I suppose we could hear about its next project at E3 2014.

Next Level Games said they had a project they were working on prior to being assigned to Luigi's Mansion 2, and that sequel took 3 years to develop. Assuming they went back to that first project, it is very likely another 3DS title published by Nintendo, but one that was of lower priority since LM 2 was more important for Nintendo to get released first. Like Monster Games, Next Level probably doesn't have much experience in HD development, so it may be a while until we see a game from them on Wii U.

Its hard to say what Monster Games may be up to. We know they have little to no experience in HD development, and that its last game, Pilot Wings Resort, came out almost 3 years ago (March 2011). They would be a great candidate for something like Wave Race.

They worked on the Donkey Kong 3DS port and helped out on Tropical Freeze.

boyshine

I must have been asleep when that happened, because in my mind Metroid Prime and Call of Duty WaW had already done that by that time. And Both games were quite a bit better than the Conduit. But maybe i have the releases mixed up but i doubt it.

Didn't talk about the quality of the game, but I'm pretty sure no game before The Conduit gave the player that level of control customization. And after, most games were compared to The Conduit when it was talk about controls. And I repeat; the controls. I say in my post that it was far from the best FPS.

From the IGN review: for example, it features the most customizable, precise and enjoyable controls of any console shooter

Must been sleeping under a rock because thats the first i've heard of shin min tensei x fire emblem. Looking forward to all of those first party titles. After Wind Waker HD my Wii U has just been collecting dust. I guess i should buy Super Mario 3D World.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Not game related, but I've got a question.

Can you buy new charging cords for the Gamepad?

My dog just chewed through the cord on mine, and I know the Pro Controller one is a different size.

jmizzal

One of my biggest issues with 3rd party developers is the lack of continuation from Wii to Wii U. Some of those Wii series really could get a boost given the HD + GamePad treatment.

peswii800vub67.png

Pro Evolution Soccer 2014. The combination of Wii controls + HD graphics could have made this the best football/soccer game ever.

Tiger Woods PGA Tour 14. PGA13 skipped Wii for some reason, but PGA12 for Wii stands as the best golf game ever made, mainly because of MotionPlus and Balance Board support. I don't have the numbers, but I also seem to recall that PGA10 on Wii (the one with Motion Plus adapter bundled) was the best selling game in the series' history across all platforms. Again, combine that with HD graphics and second screen "caddy mode" or even just what WSC Golf does with the ball camera.. seriously, developers.. it's such a fucking waste of potential.

Boom Blox. I know it's EA, but come on. How perfect wouldn't this be as an eShop game with touch controls?

Trauma Center. Someone needs to pick it up, or make a similar style game. Again, perfect for the GamePad.

Resident Evil. After the success of REmake and RE4 on GC, and RE4 again on Wii, and I even think the first RE Chronicles game did decent numbers, it's time for a new Nintendo (timed) exclusive RE-game to shake things up after things becoming too safe and boring with 5 and 6. Start with RE2 remake (when zombies attack, show it 1st person on the GamePad, shake to break away), then REU. Get the blood boiling and fanboys arguing again.

Evolution of Family (We) Ski/Go Vacation series. I honestly expected after the Iwata Asks that something was in the works for Wii U from these guys. Sadly, nothing yet.

Zack & Wiki. Sure, it became a common bargain bin filler for Wii, but it still was a fan favorite, and the launch of Wii U would've been a perfect time to do the sequel (name it something without the number 2, so people not familiar with the first wouldn't be afraid to jump in).

Party games. This was huge once. First on PS2, then on Wii. Monopoly, Trivial Pursuit, Pictionary, Chess/Checkers/Backgammon collections, quiz games (Sony messed up Buzz! so who will step up to the throne? They're still very much in high demand), card games.. I could even see a lot of the board games working with the NFC sensor, activating certain cards, chips, money or whatever they include with the game. And in 1080p they could actually look crisp and more like the real thing. Lots and lots of potential with both dual-screen and off-tv here as well.

Other Wii-developers
Monster Games. You made the cult hit phenomenon Excite Truck. And the somewhat forgotten Excitebots (not even released in europe). Where are you now? 3DS? Come back to the big screen!
Next Level Games. Mario Striker-series (best Mario-spinoff series IMO), Jungle Speed (one of the very best multiplayer games on WiiWare), the amazing Punch-Out!! and equally fantastic Luigi's Mansion 2 for 3DS. Please don't be another Wii-to-3DS studio. You are needed for Wii U.
High Voltage Studios. The Conduit games were far from the best of its genre, but High Voltage's desire to do things with Wii that others claimed impossible and lead the way for FPS pointer controls was very much appreciated. More developers like this, please.

Hopefully 2014 will bring a lot of new announcements of many fun and innovative games from passionate developers who love the console and GamePad, and see the same potential in it, as I do. If not, I'll just play Mario Kart 8 for the rest of my life.

And of course, this:

shenmuua2xet.png

Its really annoying that some of these devs never even tried on WiiU and it has nothing to do with sales for a lot of them

As far as Capcom goes, they seem to be supportive of most platforms, but they'll naturallt focus more on 3DS than Wii U. They weren't fully commited to go all out on Wii U early on, so they began by testing the waters with HD ports of 3DS first. Fortunately, MH3U HD was a success for them (500k) and RE Revelations HD also sold very well (900k combined platform sales), but we don't know how much the Wii U version sold for the latter.

Capcom USA's former senior vice president had said there were more Wii U projects planned out, and that most of them were not current-gen ports (he specicially mention no re 6 or dead space 3 ports). However, given how poor Wii U third party sales have been overall, it seems like Capcom probably canceled a few projects for it. I still have faith that Nintendo can work with Capcom on a project or two, but my biggest fear is that the next full-fledged Monster Hunter title won't be coming to Wii U... and that's the one I want above all else. Naturally, Capcom will be observing how well PS4 performs in Japan, how quickly its install base rises, and weighing the issue of rising development costs of next-gen vs. last-gen. On the bright side, Wii U sales have begun to finally pick up pace, but it still needs to make up for lost time and third party sales are overall still performing pretty poorly.

I really hope Capcom is not gonna sit around for a year and wait to see how the PS4 does in Japan before they decide who they want to support with the next HD MH. MH3U did great on WiiU so its no reason for them to not put MH4U out next year, I thought by now they would at least have 1 original WiiU game out or announced, PS4 gets Deep Down before the system even came out.

ozfunghi

Didn't talk about the quality of the game, but I'm pretty sure no game before The Conduit gave the player that level of control customization. And after, most games were compared to The Conduit when it was talk about controls. And I repeat; the controls. I say in my post that it was far from the best FPS.

From the IGN review: for example, it features the most customizable, precise and enjoyable controls of any console shooter

No, you didn't talk about quality of the game, but you did speak of "leading the way" for pointer controls in FPS... which it did not. Metroid Prime led the way, COD refined that with some customization. That the conduit offered further customization may be true, but by that time Metroid Prime had already released two years earlier. That's hardly "leading the way" imo.

Look, they did the best they could, no problem. But they should 've done less talking and more walking. They hyped their game up but it fell way flat. That's not the kind of dev we need for Wii U. Or at least, not the one i'm waiting for or expecting to shower the platform with great software.

Mlatador

Banned
One of my biggest issues with 3rd party developers is the lack of continuation from Wii to Wii U. Some of those Wii series really could get a boost given the HD + GamePad treatment.

peswii800vub67.png

Pro Evolution Soccer 2014. The combination of Wii controls + HD graphics could have made this the best football/soccer game ever.

Tiger Woods PGA Tour 14. PGA13 skipped Wii for some reason, but PGA12 for Wii stands as the best golf game ever made, mainly because of MotionPlus and Balance Board support. I don't have the numbers, but I also seem to recall that PGA10 on Wii (the one with Motion Plus adapter bundled) was the best selling game in the series' history across all platforms. Again, combine that with HD graphics and second screen "caddy mode" or even just what WSC Golf does with the ball camera.. seriously, developers.. it's such a fucking waste of potential.

Boom Blox. I know it's EA, but come on. How perfect wouldn't this be as an eShop game with touch controls?

Trauma Center. Someone needs to pick it up, or make a similar style game. Again, perfect for the GamePad.

Resident Evil. After the success of REmake and RE4 on GC, and RE4 again on Wii, and I even think the first RE Chronicles game did decent numbers, it's time for a new Nintendo (timed) exclusive RE-game to shake things up after things becoming too safe and boring with 5 and 6. Start with RE2 remake (when zombies attack, show it 1st person on the GamePad, shake to break away), then REU. Get the blood boiling and fanboys arguing again.

Evolution of Family (We) Ski/Go Vacation series. I honestly expected after the Iwata Asks that something was in the works for Wii U from these guys. Sadly, nothing yet.

Zack & Wiki. Sure, it became a common bargain bin filler for Wii, but it still was a fan favorite, and the launch of Wii U would've been a perfect time to do the sequel (name it something without the number 2, so people not familiar with the first wouldn't be afraid to jump in).

Party games. This was huge once. First on PS2, then on Wii. Monopoly, Trivial Pursuit, Pictionary, Chess/Checkers/Backgammon collections, quiz games (Sony messed up Buzz! so who will step up to the throne? They're still very much in high demand), card games.. I could even see a lot of the board games working with the NFC sensor, activating certain cards, chips, money or whatever they include with the game. And in 1080p they could actually look crisp and more like the real thing. Lots and lots of potential with both dual-screen and off-tv here as well.

Other Wii-developers
Monster Games. You made the cult hit phenomenon Excite Truck. And the somewhat forgotten Excitebots (not even released in europe). Where are you now? 3DS? Come back to the big screen!
Next Level Games. Mario Striker-series (best Mario-spinoff series IMO), Jungle Speed (one of the very best multiplayer games on WiiWare), the amazing Punch-Out!! and equally fantastic Luigi's Mansion 2 for 3DS. Please don't be another Wii-to-3DS studio. You are needed for Wii U.
High Voltage Studios. The Conduit games were far from the best of its genre, but High Voltage's desire to do things with Wii that others claimed impossible and lead the way for FPS pointer controls was very much appreciated. More developers like this, please.

Hopefully 2014 will bring a lot of new announcements of many fun and innovative games from passionate developers who love the console and GamePad, and see the same potential in it, as I do. If not, I'll just play Mario Kart 8 for the rest of my life.

And of course, this:

shenmuua2xet.png

Nice post. Would also be cool to see House of the Dead Overkill 2 someday.

Personally, I have to say, I would love to see another Conduit game or anything else FPS related from High Voltage Software the most.
Their graphics engine on Wii was amazing, and Conduit (especially Conduit 2) a very enjoyable futuristic IR pointer shooter. The IR pointer controls - when adjusted correctly - actually worked so well that it made the game 50% more enjoyable to me, thus elevating it to one of my favorite Wii games overall. The game also had very solid and fun online multiplayer.
Since I've came to the realization that I absolutely love IR Pointer controls, but despise Call of Duty (despite having them on Wii/Wii U) and generally favor futuristic over modern or WW2 shooters, there is not much else that caters to this combination of interests.
That being said, I'd also put up with The Grinder HD ;)

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
BLACK OPS 2 co-OP

Hey guys I want to buy the game exclusively to play it with my brother when he visits and I have a couple of questions:

I don't own a Pro Controller yet.
Can you play couch multi/co-OP without using a WiiU Pro Controller?

Can you go online with say me on the TV with the remote+nunchuck (or Wii classic controller and/or classic controller) and my brother on the gamepad?

Roo

Eh. How many games can Nintendo reasonably put out in a twelve month period?

Well, for Wii U they released 9 games (internally developed) from December 2012 to December 2013 and published over 15 ( counting exclusive third party games).

So far, they have scheduled 6 games for 2014 (again, internally developed) so I'm expecting a few surprises.

SuomiDude

BLACK OPS 2 co-OP

Hey guys I want to buy the game exclusively to play it with my brother when he visits and I have a couple of questions:

Can you go online with say me on the TV with the remote+nunchuck (or Wii classic controller and/or classic controller) and my brother on the gamepad?
I have an additional question regarding to this game. Is the singleplayer (co-op) campaign long? And is the game worth it for that alone as I don't play games online, so multiplayer doesn't offer me anything. I've seen the game game go for pretty cheap in some places.

Some Nobody

Well, for Wii U they released 9 games (internally developed) from December 2012 to December 2013 and published over 15 ( counting exclusive third party games).

So far, they have scheduled 6 games for 2014 (again, internally developed) so I'm expecting a few surprises.

Six? So when you say, internally developed--does that count games like X and Super Smash Bros?

Roo

Six? So when you say, internally developed--does that count games like X and Super Smash Bros?

Yes?
MonolithSoft is a first party developer
As for Smash, I never considered Sora a third/second party since Sakurai keeps working for Nintendo so...

1. Donkey Kong
2. Mario Kart
3. Smash Bros
4. X
5. Yarn Yoshi
6. The Legend of Zelda.

Edit: Actually... looking at that list, Yarn Yoshi and TLOZ are TBA so that leaves us with 4 games.

Shiggy

Yes?
As for Smash, I never considered Sora a third/second party since Sakurai keeps working for Nintendo so...

1. Donkey Kong
2. Mario Kart
3. Smash Bros
4. X
5. Yarn Yoshi
6. The Legend of Zelda.

Edit: Actually... looking at that list, Yarn Yoshi and TLOZ are TBA so that leaves us with 4 games.

Hyrule Warriors is coming too. While it looks like it's years off, that's just due to the low production values.

The Fire Emblem crossover is also probably coming next year.

Anth0ny

Yes?

1. Donkey Kong
2. Mario Kart
3. Smash Bros
4. X
5. Yarn Yoshi
6. The Legend of Zelda.

I hope they spread these releases apart. I get the feeling Smash and X will be out around the same time... which would mean I wouldn't be opening my copy of X for a long time.

why do I have this feeling X is going to be delayed to 2015 in North America =\

Some Nobody

Hyrule Warriors is coming too. While it looks like it's years off, that's just due to the low production values.

Seems unlikely, unless we just don't hear anything from them about it in the next big Direct or at E3.

Shiggy

I hope they spread these releases apart. I get the feeling Smash and X will be out around the same time... which would mean I wouldn't be opening my copy of X for a long time.

why do I have this feeling X is going to be delayed to 2015 in North America =

Considering that these will be pretty much the only really decent games (plus some potentially unannounced first party titles), I'm sure they will spread their releases apart. I mean, they already did that with DKC TP as they know about the state of their release schedule.

Roo

Those are being handled mostly by Tecmo Koei and Atlus respectively. I was talking about games developed by Nintendo as the primary team.

why do I have this feeling X is going to be delayed to 2015 in North America =

Hope not. I'm really looking forward to X.

Tambini

Might be getting a Wii U for £130 today along with ZombiU...seems worth it, no?

I just really want to play X, it looks incredible.

D-e-f-

Banned
Good news but did I miss the news about this title being a Wii U game? As far as I know it could be a 3DS eshop release. I hope it's for both systems though.

We know nothing about this game other than some comments about it being free to play.

Zalman

why do I have this feeling X is going to be delayed to 2015 in North America =\
I think...

Donkey Kong for February (duh)
Mario Kart for Spring
Bayonetta for Summer
X, Smash Bros. and Hyrule Warriors for the second half.

Not sure if Yarn Yoshi and SMTxFE are this year, they could be... Also, they will most definitely announce some more in the next few months. IMO it's looking quite fantastic from a first party/exclusive perspective. As long as they can have something every other month or so, it's all good.

BLACK OPS 2 co-OP

I'm almost positive you can play with the remote while your brother plays on the GamePad in MP.

Shiggy

The team went bust. So it's not too surprising that this isn't coming.

They are hard at work on Wii Sports Club - resources are limited.

Pikma

Banned
BLACK OPS 2 co-OP

Yes, you don't need a Pro Controller, the setup you mentioned works perfectly! (I'd recommend to get a Pro though, just because it's an awesome controller!)
I have an additional question regarding to this game. Is the singleplayer (co-op) campaign long? And is the game worth it for that alone as I don't play games online, so multiplayer doesn't offer me anything. I've seen the game game go for pretty cheap in some places.
Well if it's cheap yeah, because even if the campaign is way better than other CoD games (like Ghosts, for example) it is not that long, 8 hours approx. Multi is a blast btw, one of the best MP experiences I've ever had, and I'm like you, Single Player will always be irreplaceable.

Son Of D

sörine;96825113 said:
I was sad Wii U never got a version of DOA5.

I was surprised at that myself. Or SSFIVAE (to connect with the 3DS game). Or even Soul Calibur 5 U Edition (with Link and some tweaks).

dearodie

Originally Posted by Dash Kappei

BLACK OPS 2 co-OP

@Dash Kappei : Local or online multiplayer can be played with one player on gamepad, another one using a wiimote+nunchuck or pro controller, so as long as you have a wiimote+nunchuck, you should be set with your bro.
Yes, You can go online with one player on gamepad, one on TV.

@SuomiDude: The single player campaign is by definition not co-op.
I found the single player campaign in Balck Ops 2 to be more engaging than with COD Ghosts. Expect 14 to 20 hours gameplay for the single campaign, depending on your style.

I know this was not asked, but here are some thoughts/experience sharing:
You can play local multiplayer and local single player against bots (ala multiplayer) using all the guns/attachments/perks/maps available in online multiplayer, except you will not earn points towards ranking up.
I started with that local mode and then dabbed into online for a bit, hated it at first, then tweaked my controls (wiimote camera speed mostly), got better at it and pretty much only play that way nowadays.
Last I checked the online community is about as small on BLOPS2 as it is on Ghosts (around 2000 peeps). I find BLOPS2 is much better to play online though, the maps are smaller in scope and the overall balance feels better. COD Ghosts does have Squads mode though, and that is quite fun.

jmizzal

BLACK OPS 2 co-OP

Yes you can use the Wiimote nunchuck and WiiU pad, and yes you can play on the pad while the other person plays on the tv, but you can only do that on an HD TV, with COD Ghost you can do it on any TV tho.

Steeldiver Subwars EU trademark application filed.

subwarsrosln.png

source (edit: scroll to bottom - can't get direct link to work)

Good to see, they said it should be out before the end of March, I expect it to be announced at the next ND prob round the investors meeting

Sendou

I think a Direct the week before the earning's release (29th) with a press even to complement (think what they did when ALBW was revealed) it would make a lot of sense.

Top Bottom