• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Games 2014

kurbaan

Banned
Man I can't believe how empty the next year is. God damn. my system has been sitting there gathering dust since WWHD came out, which I played for a bit but got bored of quickly. Have pikmin 3 sitting around but no desire to really play it yet.

I really hope X comes out soon because everything else coming out next year I do not give a shit about. Once I finish Xenoblade and the couple other WII games i haven't played I don't see any reason to pick up that gamepad till X comes out.

Its really annoying that some of these devs never even tried on WiiU and it has nothing to do with sales for a lot of them

I really hope Capcom is not gonna sit around for a year and wait to see how the PS4 does in Japan before they decide who they want to support with the next HD MH. MH3U did great on WiiU so its no reason for them to not put MH4U out next year, I thought by now they would at least have 1 original WiiU game out or announced, PS4 gets Deep Down before the system even came out.

I find it baffling that people still make these kind of posts. It has everything to do with sales there is no point in them making any of those games on WIIU. Most people will just buy the version on the 5 other consoles that are out there. That is the problem. I have a WIIU, PS3, PS4 even if a multi platform game comes out on WIIU its like the last version I would buy.

The reason PS4 gets Deep down before its out is because its a sure bet at this point.

Riki

A direct in a week or two is certainly possible. Either way, seeing what Nintendo says at their investor briefing will be interesting.

jmizzal

Man I can't believe how empty the next year is. God damn. my system has been sitting there gathering dust since WWHD came out, which I played for a bit but got bored of quickly. Have pikmin 3 sitting around but no desire to really play it yet.

I really hope X comes out soon because everything else coming out next year I do not give a shit about. Once I finish Xenoblade and the couple other WII games i haven't played I don't see any reason to pick up that gamepad till X comes out.

I find it baffling that people still make these kind of posts. It has everything to do with sales there is no point in them making any of those games on WIIU. Most people will just buy the version on the 5 other consoles that are out there. That is the problem. I have a WIIU, PS3, PS4 even if a multi platform game comes out on WIIU its like the last version I would buy.

The reason PS4 gets Deep down before its out is because its a sure bet at this point.

Why do u even have a WiiU? If X is the only game coming next year that you want and WWHD and Pikmin is the only fall games u got this year.

You dont want any of, Bayo 2, Smash Bros, Mario Kart, Hyrule warriors, DKTF, Yarn Yoshi

You might as well just waited to get one, for me there is still too many games and my WiiU backlog is backed up

Anth0ny

What's left to announce for Wii U? I made a list.

Likely:

-Kid Icarus (I think this is happening based on the success of the 3DS game)
-Luigi's Mansion (see above)
-Animal Crossing (see above)
-Pokken
-Miyamoto New IP
-EAD Tokyo New Game
-New Retro Studios Game (maybe?)
-Kirby
-Mario Party
-HD Remasters (Galaxy? Prime Trilogy? TP/SS?)
-New 2D Mario platformer (I think the "New" series has outstayed its welcome at this point)
-Paper Mario (hopefully)
-Crazy surprise no one could have predicted (like SMTxFE or Hyrule Warriors)

Not Likely:

-Metroid (dead)
-Star Fox (dead)
-F-Zero (dead)
-Mother (dead)

What am I missing? Is this realistic? Can a library like this lead the console through 2016? 2017?

kurbaan

Banned
Why do u even have a WiiU? If X is the only game coming next year that you want and WWHD and Pikmin is the only fall games u got this year.

You dont want any of, Bayo 2, Smash Bros, Mario Kart, Hyrule warriors, DKTF, Yarn Yoshi

You might as well just waited to get one, for me there is still too many games and my WiiU backlog is backed up

Oh I forgot about Bayo 2 that should be good as well. Hyrule warriors is ok but I was never a big Dynasty Warriors fan but I might give it a chance. Everything else though doesn't really appeal to me. I don't really play local multi so Smash and MK are kinda pointless, nor do I know anyone that would even play these games at this point. DK maybe I would have bought if I only had a WIIU and nothing else to play but I would probably only get it now if it was dirt cheap. and Yarn Yoshi i have never heard of and from the name i do not think I will even care for it.

Tbh I initially just bought a WIIU to play Xenoblade, TLS, Pandora Tower, SMG and Zelda that i missed on wii. Didn't make sense to buy a WII at that point and X looked good. And I don't fully regret my purchase because I enjoy those WII games but still looking at the release list aside from Bayo2 and X nothing really appeals to me. I had initially hoped that WIIU would be getting the 3rd party japanese support like the WII (especially JRPG) got but it seems like the Japanese devs aren't even making any games for the system.

Riki

I don't think Star Fox is dead. It just the matter of finding a suitable developer for it. Not to say that it's a priority franchise for Nintendo because that's not the case.

Well, not dead dead. Nintendo will definitely try the franchise again. But I wouldn't expect it on WiiU.

D-e-f-

Banned
Oh I forgot about Bayo 2 that should be good as well. Hyrule warriors is ok but I was never a big Dynasty Warriors fan but I might give it a chance. Everything else though doesn't really appeal to me. I don't really play local multi so Smash and MK are kinda pointless, nor do I know anyone that would even play these games at this point. DK maybe I would have bought if I only had a WIIU and nothing else to play but I would probably only get it now if it was dirt cheap. and Yarn Yoshi i have never heard of and from the name i do not think I will even care for it.

Tbh I initially just bought a WIIU to play Xenoblade, TLS, Pandora Tower, SMG and Zelda that i missed on wii. Didn't make sense to buy a WII at that point and X looked good. And I don't fully regret my purchase because I enjoy those WII games but still looking at the release list aside from Bayo2 and X nothing really appeals to me. I had initially hoped that WIIU would be getting the 3rd party japanese support like the WII (especially JRPG) got but it seems like the Japanese devs aren't even making any games for the system.

The Wonderful 101`?

Anth0ny

I think if we get a new Metroid at all, it'll be on 3DS. Who would make a new, console Metroid at this point? They're not going to "waste" Retro on that... Metroid games don't sell :(

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game

Super Mario 3D world?

jmizzal

Oh I see u brought it for a Wii backlog, Smash Bros and Mario Kart will have online, and WiiU online has been very good with my experience.

I think if we get a new Metroid at all, it'll be on 3DS. Who would make a new, console Metroid at this point? They're not going to "waste" Retro on that... Metroid games don't sell :(

They spend money to get Bayo 2 and The Wonderful 101 now those games wont sell, all the last 4 Metroid console games ended selling over 1mil, you cant say they dont sell, yea they are not mega sellers but they sell better then a lot of other games Nintendo has released.

Riki

I'm curious why you think Star Fox is dead while F-Zero isn't. I don't think any of them are, but why more optimistic about F-Zero?

F-Zero was in NintendoLand while Star Fox's fate was tied to the sales of 64 3D which did pretty poorly.
I would definitely expect a new F-Zero before a new Star Fox.

Sendou

Well, not dead dead. Nintendo will definitely try the franchise again. But I wouldn't expect it on WiiU.

Maybe. Maybe not. I wouldn't be surprised if they announced a Star Fox game though. With Wii U it's getting harder to tell because of the struggles and uncertain future.

What I do want to know is what EAD Tokyo is up to. The way Nintendo has made it sound it seems possible that they could be cabable of working on more than one bigger project at the same time. Maybe they'll do something else than Mario at some point? That something being a bigger project and not like Flipnote Studio. I totally see Super Mario Galaxy 3 in Wii U's future though.

They're not going to "waste" Retro on that... Metroid games don't sell :(

Hard to see Donkey Kong Country on Wii U destroying sales charts either. I for one would be surprised if Retro didn't work on Metroid again.

F-Zero was in NintendoLand while Star Fox's fate was tied to the sales of 64 3D which did pretty poorly.
I would definitely expect a new F-Zero before a new Star Fox.

Balloon Trip was in Nintendo Land. That's hardly an indicator a new game is coming. I don't think 64 3D did poorly either considering what it is. I think new Star Fox is more likely than a new F-Zero.

Riki

Maybe. Maybe not. I wouldn't be surprised if they announced a Star Fox game though. With Wii U it's getting harder to tell because of the struggles and uncertain future.

What I do want to know is what EAD Tokyo is up to. The way Nintendo has made it sound it seems possible that they could be cabable of working on more than one bigger project at the same time. Maybe they'll do something else than Mario at some point? That something being a bigger project and not like Flipnote Studio. I totally see Super Mario Galaxy 3 in Wii U's future though.

Hard to see Donkey Kong Country on Wii U destroying sales charts either. I for one would be surprised if Retro didn't work on Metroid again.

Balloon Trip was in Nintendo Land. That's hardly an indicator a new game is coming. I don't think 64 3D did poorly either considering what it is. I think new Star Fox is more likely than a new F-Zero.

I think you'll be surprised there. Tingle's Ruby Land 2 incoming.
And no. SF64 3D did less than 500K world wide (only 60K in Japan which Nintendo puts more focus on).
Even if they do make a new one, it won't be for WiiU.

Riki

How much did Other M sell in Japan?

The title did about the same in Japan (60K), and a bit better than SF 64 3D in the rest of the world.

But then you have to figure that Other M is considered the worst Metroid while SF 64 is considered the best Star Fox.
And if they put a focus back on making it a first person game, and less input from Sakamoto, they would have a bigger audience.
Where as, there has been no proven formula for Star Fox, considering it's in a very niche genre.

Sendou

SF64 3D did less than 500K world wide (only 60K in Japan which Nintendo puts more focus on).

Is that necessarily bad for a quick remake of a Star Fox game with little new to fill up early 3DS lineup? Because I find that sentiment hard to agree with.

But then you have to figure that Other M is considered the worst Metroid while SF 64 is considered the best Star Fox.

And Other M was an original game for extremely succesful Wii where SF643D was a "remake" for struggling 3DS.

jnWake

The title did about the same in Japan (60K), and a bit better than SF 64 3D in the rest of the world.

And if they put a focus back on making it a first person game, and less input from Sakamoto, they would have a bigger audience.
Where as, there has been no proven formula for Star Fox, considering it's in a very niche genre.

It's still a port. The original Star Fox 64 sold a lot more than all Metroid games so I wouldn't say it's that niche.

Riki

Is that necessarily bad for a quick remake of a Star Fox game with little new to fill up early 3DS lineup? Because I find that sentiment hard to agree with.

Miyamoto was banking a lot of this title selling.

I don't know if less than 500K is enough for them to fund a WiiU game in the series, considering WiiU sales.
Where as, Metroid is a known factor.

It's still a port. The original Star Fox 64 sold a lot more than all Metroid games so I wouldn't say it's that niche.

Did it? It sold decently in NA, but still poorly in Japan.

Linkyn

As far as I'm concerned, Animal Crossing is a sure bet. Why else would the Plaza for New Leaf be dated until the end of 2014? Surely because they have something better planned to replace it. I also wouldn't discount Metroid / Starfox yet. We should never forget that it took them 8 years to release a sequel to Super Metroid, so they've certainly brought franchises back from the dead before (Pikmin is another example that works in this case).

Furthermore, the more I look at the currently announced titles, the more convinced I become that Smash is not their flagship title for fall and holiday 2014. But for a game to be allowed to take that charge instead of Smash, they would have to have an incredible amount of confidence in it, and there are very few Nintendo franchises that hold that kind of esteem both internally and with the audience. This suspicion is only reinforced by the fact that 3D World was announced at E3 2013 and released less than half a year later. I feel something big is heading our way.

I should note that I really love how unpredictable Nintendo have become in their announcements and that the time between announcement and release has become so much shorter.

Sendou

Miyamoto was banking a lot of this title selling.

I don't know if less than 500K is enough for them to fund a WiiU game in the series, considering WiiU sales.
Where as, Metroid is a known factor.

Yeah there's that Miyamoto quote. You know I don't think he literally meant that if Star Fox 64 3D wasn't a million seller Star Fox would be dead. Also you forget the kind of stuff Nintendo has been funding on Wii U. Wonderful 101 (the most expensive PlatinumGames title to date by the way)? Pikmin 3? Bayonetta 2? It doesn't get more niche than that. Also I think you place too much emphasis on Japan.

Riki

Yeah there's that Miyamoto quote. You know I don't think he literally meant that if Star Fox 64 3D wasn't a million seller Star Fox would be dead. Also you forget the kind of stuff Nintendo has been funding on Wii U. Wonderful 101 (the most expensive PlatinumGames title to date by the way)? Pikmin 3? Bayonetta 2? It doesn't get more niche than that. Also I think you place too much emphasis on Japan.
You're right, these are niche games, but they fill out the console library with needed genres. Rail shooters aren't a needed genre sadly. Even among niche games, it is niche.
They have the eShop they dont wanna make huge AAA games with these franchises, make $19-$29 games as eshop only for Star Fox, F-Zero, Wave Rave or what ever

I agree, using the eShop to do these franchises would be great, but it seems Nintendo is more interested in making newer games for it.

Anth0ny

They have the eShop they dont wanna make huge AAA games with these franchises, make $19-$29 games as eshop only for Star Fox, F-Zero, Wave Rave or what ever

Or even lower budget 3DS titles that would sell 100x better than a higher budget Wii U title.

New Super Metroid, Nintendo. Do it.

Sendou

You're right, these are niche games, but they fill out the console library with needed genres. Rail shooters aren't a needed genre sadly. Even among niche games, it is niche.

Action games and light RTS are needed genres? What do you even mean with "needed genres"? Also who's to say a new Star Fox would only be a rail shooter? Even if it was Sin & Punishment 2 did happen not too long ago.

Riki

Action games and light RTS are needed genres? What do you even mean with "needed genres"? Also who's to say a new Star Fox would only be a rail shooter? Even if it was Sin & Punishment 2 did happen not too long ago.

Action games are very much needed. They're seeing quite the resurgence lately. Pikmin 3 was in development for far longer and was Miyamoto's wanted game.
As for S&P2, that game did horribly. It was amazing that Nintendo made it, but it did absolutely horribly.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
I'm almost positive you can play with the remote while your brother plays on the GamePad in MP.

I have an additional question regarding to this game. Is the singleplayer (co-op) campaign long? And is the game worth it for that alone as I don't play games online, so multiplayer doesn't offer me anything. I've seen the game game go for pretty cheap in some places.

Yes you can use the Wiimote nunchuck and WiiU pad, and yes you can play on the pad while the other person plays on the tv, but you can only do that on an HD TV, with COD Ghost you can do it on any TV tho.

Good to see, they said it should be out before the end of March, I expect it to be announced at the next ND prob round the investors meeting

Thanks guys!
Sounds awesome, game goes for €25 new so I think I'll grab it tomorrow :)

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Not an awesome lot of titles so far tbh, but on the plus side there's five of my most anticipated titles for next year in the OP :D

Coolwhip

Banned

Likely:

-Kid Icarus (I think this is happening based on the success of the 3DS game)
-Luigi's Mansion (see above)
-Animal Crossing (see above)
-Pokken
-Miyamoto New IP
-EAD Tokyo New Game
-New Retro Studios Game (maybe?)
-Kirby
-Mario Party
-HD Remasters (Galaxy? Prime Trilogy? TP/SS?)
-New 2D Mario platformer (I think the "New" series has outstayed its welcome at this point)
-Paper Mario (hopefully)
-Crazy surprise no one could have predicted (like SMTxFE or Hyrule Warriors)

Not Likely:

-Metroid (dead)
-Star Fox (dead)
-F-Zero (dead)
-Mother (dead)

What am I missing? Is this realistic? Can a library like this lead the console through 2016? 2017?

For the sake of Nintendo (and me) I hope:

- BIG new IP 1
- BIG new IP 2
- BIG new IP 3
- BIG new IP 4
- BIG new IP 5

Nintendo is relying on the IPs they introduced in the 80s and 90s way too much.

W101 had two big things going against it.
1. Being on WiiU.
2. Style.

3. Controls

nordique

metroid's never really been big in Japan though

I would welcome both a 3DS and Wii U game.

Honestly, can't get enough of Metroid personally :p

SuomiDude

Well if it's cheap yeah, because even if the campaign is way better than other CoD games (like Ghosts, for example) it is not that long, 8 hours approx. Multi is a blast btw, one of the best MP experiences I've ever had, and I'm like you, Single Player will always be irreplaceable.
@SuomiDude: The single player campaign is by definition not co-op.
I found the single player campaign in Balck Ops 2 to be more engaging than with COD Ghosts. Expect 14 to 20 hours gameplay for the single campaign, depending on your style.
Thanks. Sounds actually pretty good, also the local multiplayer stuff. Will have to think about it, never played CoD games before nor have I had much interest in them, but for some reason Black Ops 2 has had me interested for a while now.

kurbaan

Banned
The Wonderful 101`?

was really excited for this but played the demo and just didn't get into it. May give it another chance when its super cheap and I have nothing else.

Super Mario 3D world?

will get this in the future but not in any rush especially since I know I won't be able to enjoy / play the coop parts of this.

Oh I see u brought it for a Wii backlog, Smash Bros and Mario Kart will have online, and WiiU online has been very good with my experience.

They spend money to get Bayo 2 and The Wonderful 101 now those games wont sell, all the last 4 Metroid console games ended selling over 1mil, you cant say they dont sell, yea they are not mega sellers but they sell better then a lot of other games Nintendo has released.

see smash and Mk are games I would never sit down and play through. All previous times I have played those have been at someone's house I just don't see myself playing them much even online. But that's not really nintendos fault. I really feel like I am not in nintendos demographic at all. Last Nintendo home system I had was a snes. Everything else after that I have only played at friends houses when I was young.

gemoran4

Is Smash Bros even coming out in 2014 (as in a set release date)? Or Hyrule Warriors? or even X? Not disputing the fact, but we really don't even have set release dates for a lot of these games, and with Nintendo there really is no guarantee when these games come out.

Sendou

Is Smash Bros even coming out in 2014? Or Hyrule Warriors? or even X?

All of the above are scheduled for 2014 worldwide (or at least in the usual regions PAL, NA, Japan etc.). Hyrule Warriors is coming this summer in Japan.

was really excited for this but played the demo and just didn't get into it. May give it another chance when its super cheap and I have nothing else.

will get this in the future but not in any rush especially since I know I won't be able to enjoy / play the coop parts of this

The Wonderful 101 demo is bad. Throws you into the deep end without explaining the mechanics. The actualg game isn't like that. Even so the game isn't for everyone. I recommend it though.

3D World doesn't really have co-op specific parts. If you have the chance to play co-op then that's cool and it's a fun experience but that doesn't take away from singleplayer. Also I really recommend getting around playing Pikmin 3. It's a fine game.

Riki

Is Smash Bros even coming out in 2014? Or Hyrule Warriors? or even X? Not disputing the fact, but we really don't even have set release dates for a lot of these games, and with Nintendo there really is no guarantee when these games come out.

All three are slated for a 2014 release.
Sakurai said he will get SSB4 out this year. Zelda Musou is a Summer release in Japan and the turn around on them is not long. X has been listed for a 2014 release for quite a while now and localization has already begun.

jmizzal

Is Smash Bros even coming out in 2014 (as in a set release date)? Or Hyrule Warriors? or even X? Not disputing the fact, but we really don't even have set release dates for a lot of these games, and with Nintendo there really is no guarantee when these games come out.

Yes all those game are coming out in 2014, if they didnt then Nintendo wouldnt have anything coming out lol. Nintendo just doesnt give release dates until the last min they dont like to put pressure on devs to rush games out like other publishers, also they dont want people so upset over delays.

Effect

-Metroid (dead)
-Star Fox (dead)
-F-Zero (dead)
-Mother (dead)

The rest of the list seems good. However I think out of this list only Mother is dead. Star Fox and Metroid have the most chances of being brought back. However in scaled down versions. They won't be headlining a holiday. Metroid will be the most interesting to see. Will they keep trying to make it appeal to Japan (more 2D) or accept it's become more popular in the west and tailor to western fans (go more toward Metroid Prime or even third person 3D ala Metroid Blast in Nintendo Land). F-Zero is the toss up for me. It was in Nintendo Land but I don't think they want to put out a game as hard as F-Zero GX again. So a middle ground has be found. It has to be the alternative to Mario Kart for Nintendo fans but has to be almost as equally approachable in Nintendo's eyes. Not sure how you do that. If they find a way it could be back.

However it might be better to hold off on these until the launch of a new system where they can get focus simply by being launch games. Use them as test beds for new engines.As a result they'll almost by default they'd be considered graphical showcases. So even if they don't do great sales the loss isn't huge because much of the work will be on the engines and features that will be used in higher profile games like Zelda, Mario Kart, Smash, Mario 3D, DK, any RPG they make. Those will make up for those launch games if they do poorly.

gemoran4

All three are slated for a 2014 release.
Sakurai said he will get SSB4 out this year. Zelda Musou is a Summer release in Japan and the turn around on them is not long. X has been listed for a 2014 release for quite a while now and localization has already begun.

Yeah, but with Nintendo you really never know (at least with the Wii U so far). For example DK:TF was slated for a Q4 2013 release and got pushed back in 2014. I believe Mario Kart was the same way. Pikmin 3 also got pushed back. I really doubt we'll see any of these games until holiday 2014, and i definitely don't think it's outside the realm of possibility that they get pushed into 2015 given that Nintendo likes to make sure that the games are 100% ready to go (maybe not for Hyrule Warriors, but for the other 2)

Riki

Yeah, but with Nintendo you really never know (at least with the Wii U so far). For example DK:TF was slated for a Q4 2013 release and got pushed back in 2014. I believe Mario Kart was the same way. Pikmin 3 also got pushed back. I really doubt we'll see any of these games until holiday 2014, and i definitely don't think it's outside the realm of possibility that they get pushed into 2015 (maybe not for Hyrule Warriors, but for the other 2)

Both Pikmin 3 and DK were pushed back as roster fillers. They're past that point now.
Add to that, these three games are not made by Nintendo proper.
Smash is by Namco. Hyrule Warriors is by Koei. X is by Monolith.
They don't have the luxuries of year delays like EAD does.

Both Pikmin 3 and DK were pushed back as roster fillers. They're past that point now.
Add to that, these three games are not made by Nintendo proper.
Smash is by Namco. Hyrule Warriors is by Koei. X is by Monolith.
They don't have the luxuries of year delays like EAD does.

Monolith is nintendo, financially and legally. There's more to nintendo than just ead.

Riki

Monolith is nintendo, financially and legally. There's more to nintendo than just ead.

I know. But they come from outside Nintendo.
They work on their own and do their own things. They started development on HD games before the rest of Nintendo.
If anyone is going to be timely on their WiiU game, it's going to be them.

Top Bottom