• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Games 2014

Riki

Most of the content from that Direct show which introduced it now seems to actually be a preview of the whole WiiU life (even many Virtual Console promises have vanished since then) and iirc X was also labeled with something like ,,an early build of Monolith Soft's next game'' in statements afterwards.
Maybe they've really been making this since Xenoblade was gold, but they always seem busy with lots of other projects too and let's see how much Nintendo are willing to improve in the localisation aspects this time. Also, all teams are probably able to be affected once certain games are struggling (i.e. Link Between Worlds on halt for a year or something because Nintendoland needed more people) and the second Monolith team especially seems to be helping out with random stuff quite often.

lol, I've finished DKCR three times. Doesn't mean you gotta be okay with more of the same despite dropping 300 bucks, which would suggest certain generational leaps for the games.

Yes.

That's why I said you shouldn't expect it this year. They can't deal with HD development and are already struggling to get games with much smaller scope out without major delays.

4 years is enough of an alibi generation for a failed product.
Monolith has three teams. Two in Tokyo and one in Kyoto. The Kyoto one helps on other games.
One Tokyo team works on DS/3DS gamrs.
The other has been working on X since 2010.

m0t0k1

a buddy each having a screen (gamepad+TV), that is incredible!
Are there any other games on Wii U that do such a thing for couch multiplayer?

Yes! i love this option so much. I played cod at a friends house and it is so much better then split screen. Warrior Orochi 3 Hyper also does this. Feels so good to rescue people in need on both sides of the map with my brother.

prag16

Banned
It is. It has a 2014 date. Until they say otherwise, that's factual.
This. We can't take any of this speculation talk to the bank. As has been said there's evidence they're in crunch mode already with hirings and localization stuff.

It could get delayed beyond 2014, but I don't think we have sufficient reason to actually EXPECT that as of now, at least not based on anything really solid.

spekkeh

Banned
Going to get Bayonetta 2, X and SMTxFE. Mario Kart if it has a good online. Not too shabby really.

Zelda isn't going to happen though, which is really stupid by Nintendo. When you look at it.

Consoles with Zelda at the beginning of lifetime (in the west)
  • NES
  • SNES
  • Wii

Consoles with Zelda later in lifetime (in the west)
  • N64
  • (NGC--sort of in between)
  • Wii U

I mean talk about your system seller there.

spekkeh

Banned
I feel that DKR is going to bomba after which Iwata decides that Retro doesn't have it, and more development is backshored to Japan.

But I just can't support yet another 2D platformer.

EDarkness

I feel that DKR is going to bomba after which Iwata decides that Retro doesn't have it, and more development is backshored to Japan.

But I just can't support yet another 2D platformer.

I kinda feel the same way. I wish they would mix it up a bit. Throw some crazy stuff out there. Just doesn't seem to be that much variety.

radcliff

I wonder if EAD will take over Metroid development duties, with Yoshio Sakamoto playing an oversight role.

Katsuya Eguchi (Wii U system producer and former head of EAD 2) said when the Wii U was unveiled that they had several ideas for a new console Metroid and that it would a great candidate for the system. In fact, Eguchi's successor as head of EAD 2 (Hisashi Nogami) has worked on Metroid titles in the past. Maybe a third person Metroid title similar in gameplay to Metroid Blast in Nintendo Land (although obviously expanded upon) is in the works.

Also Hiroyuki Kimura (EAD 4- noted for the NSMB series) has also worked on 2D Metroid titles. With 2D Mario seemingly done for both 3DS and Wii U (given the fact Nintendo says they limit 2D Mario titles to 1 per platform), maybe they are working on a 2D Metroid title.

Effect

I wonder if EAD will take over Metroid development duties, with Yoshio Sakamoto playing an oversight role.

I certainly hope not. He's the reason why Metroid Other M ended up the way it did. Then insultingly tried to blame Metroid fans for not accepting a female character as the reason for why the game failed and had such a backlash. Ignoring that he was the reason why there was such horrible characterization for Samus. He caused that game to fail. Fans just voted with their wallets as to what they found acceptable and what they really wanted as a Metroid game.

He may have been one of the creators of Metroid but I don't want him near another Metroid game. Same way Miyamoto shouldn't be allowed to provide input on another Paper Mario game after what he did with Sticker Star.

Katsuya Eguchi (Wii U system producer and former head of EAD 2) said when the Wii U was unveiled that they had several ideas for a new console Metroid and that it would a great candidate for the system. In fact, Eguchi's successor as head of EAD 2 (Hisashi Nogami) has worked on Metroid titles in the past. Maybe a third person Metroid title similar in gameplay to Metroid Blast in Nintendo Land (although obviously expanded upon) is in the works.

Also Hiroyuki Kimura (EAD 4- noted for the NSMB series) has also worked on 2D Metroid titles. With 2D Mario seemingly done for both 3DS and Wii U (given the fact Nintendo says they limit 2D Mario titles to 1 per platform), maybe they are working on a 2D Metroid title.

I wouldn't mind a Metroid title that played like Metroid Blast or if they went back to Metroid Prime style. Though a full third person view ala Uncharted/Tomb Raider would be interesting to see.

Coolwhip

Banned

3rd person Metroid could work really well.

Riki

Thats not a date though. Wouldnt surprise me if smash bros slips into 2015 as well together with bayonetta 2 and X.
Sakurai himself has stated he's going to get Smash out this year.
Bayonetta shouldn't need to slip to 2015 now that they have the bulk of their staff on it.
X will easily hit this year unless they hit some disasterous situation.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Thats not a date though. Wouldnt surprise me if smash bros slips into 2015 as well together with bayonetta 2 and X.

I know you are trolling at this point, but here is the info released in January 2013, including the upcoming games:

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2013/130131e.pdf

Now here is the latest info, from October:

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2013/131031e.pdf

As you can see in the first one, DKC was not even there and Mario 3d didn't even had a date. Nintendo is rather cautious with these. Yes Wii Fit U was delayed, but that was a strategic decision, as it was with DKC in the end.

Edit: this is the official information for the shareholders, not some internet rumor.

We will get another updated list by the end of this month. Until the date in these lists change from 2014 to TBD it is just speculation.

Effect

Was it said or rumored that X was being localized as it was being developed. Makes sense with Nintendo's recently desire to do worldwide releases of their games as a reason to keep region locking. They can't afford to have another fiasco that was Xenoblade and The Last Story when it comes to releases. Regardless of what they say publicly. That no doubt looked extremely bad for them and likely forced their hand.

Id rather have a new Metroid Fusion for 3DS. 2D Metroid is the best.

It's not likely to sell though. Not the way a 3D Metroid would. Nintendo has enough 2D games as it is. Especially when you factor in indie games. We've had first person, 3D Metroid and 2D Metroid in recent years. It's clear which ones have sold the most and became the face of Metroid as far as most people are concerned I feel.

Bog

Junior Ace
Consoles with Zelda at the beginning of lifetime (in the west)
  • NES
  • SNES
  • Wii

Consoles with Zelda later in lifetime (in the west)
  • N64
  • (NGC--sort of in between)
  • Wii U

I mean talk about your system seller there.

This really means nothing. It's not like the LoZ was a launch title for the NES either. It was almost 2 years after the initial NYC release.

Mattias

Banned
I know you are trolling at this point, but here is the info released in January 2013, including the upcoming games:

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2013/130131e.pdf

Now here is the latest info, from October:

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2013/131031e.pdf

As you can see in the first one, DKC was not even there and Mario 3d didn't even had a date. Nintendo is rather cautious with these. Yes Wii Fit U was delayed, but that was a strategic decision, as it was with DKC in the end.

Edit: this is the official information for the shareholders, not some internet rumor.

We will get another updated list by the end of this month. Until the date in these lists change from 2014 to TBD it is just speculation.

Well they also promised Mario Kart in 2013 and that didnt happen.

I certainly hope not. He's the reason why Metroid Other M ended up the way it did. Then insultingly tried to blame Metroid fans for not accepting a female character as the reason for why the game failed and had such a backlash. Ignoring that he was the reason why there was such horrible characterization for Samus. He caused that game to fail. Fans just voted with their wallets as to what they found acceptable and what they really wanted as a Metroid game.

He may have been one of the creators of Metroid but I don't want him near another Metroid game. Same way Miyamoto shouldn't be allowed to provide input on another Paper Mario game after what he did with Sticker Star.

I wouldn't mind a Metroid title that played like Metroid Blast or if they went back to Metroid Prime style. Though a full third person view ala Uncharted/Tomb Raider would be interesting to see.

So one mediocre game and he's useless all of the sudden? I don't buy it. I got news for you... Every Nintendo franchise has a mainline title that has been of questionable quality. This just happened to be the first in the Metroid series. I don't hear anyone calling for Miyamoto's or Aonuma's resignation though.

So one mediocre game and he's useless all of the sudden? I don't buy it. I got news for you... Every Nintendo franchise has a mainline title that has been of questionable quality. This just happened to be the first in the Metroid series. I don't hear anyone calling for Miyamoto's or Aonuma's resignation though.

Aonuma has gotten plenty of crap in my experience, though ALBW shut a lot of people up.

Griss

What mainline Mario or Zelda game comes anywhere near being total garbage, as Other M was? Even Phantom Hourglass is significantly better than Other M.

Effect

It comes down to the severity of the bad game. Those two have had their heads called for many of time. However they never ruined the actual character/mascot of said franchise. I called on Miyamoto for Sticker Star but that is an spin off series. He's known for not wanting story in games but decided to mess around with an RPG. That shouldn't have happen and shouldn't happen again. That isn't the same thing though compared to what Sakamoto did to Samus as a character. The direction he took the game instead of following up with what was clearly popular at the time and what people were wanting and expecting just so it would appeal to Japan more. In turn it not selling there anyway and only served to upset the western fan base there was for the game.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
What mainline Mario or Zelda game comes anywhere near being total garbage, as Other M was? Even Phantom Hourglass is significantly better than Other M.
other m wasn't total garbage at all, imho. garbage is something else, honestly. it had huge metroid issues, but was a very good action game to me, and the post game was really good also for the metroid label. there were at least a couple of things that the brand should take from other over prime. and technically, was great

The Wii U's problem is no longer a lack of software. As this thread details, there is lots of great software titles available for Wii U, and a number of extremely high-caliber titles coming this year. The challenge for Wii U now is to find a way to sell to people who have been put off by the negative press and negative reputation of the system. It's almost a repeat of GameCube's tarnished life. GameCube had so many great games. I would argue, far more than N64 had. Still, GameCube sold 1/3 less consoles in it's lifespan than N64 did. Therefore, I don't think it's a lack of software causing low sales, it's a combination of negative coverage in the media, lack of targeted advertising that informs dormant Nintendo customers about the new hardware cycle, and finally, momentum.

I know that some people think Iwata is crazy and needs to be fired blah blah blah, but it's really not something that makes a whole lot of sense. Iwata understands the importance of "momentum" in the context of, strong software titles making a splash, and releasing enough titles soon thereafter that you build upon the sales increases instead of letting sales bottom out before releasing your next game. It leads to sales building off of one another, increasing hardware sales, which in turn increases software sales.

Nintendo did what they needed to do in Japan to create strong momentum for 3DS in Japan by the end of 2011, and it's been the dominant system there ever since. It's never let up. Nintendo hasn't been able to do that with Wii U in any region yet. 3D World was unable to carry Wii U to explosive growth over the holidays. Had Nintendo released DKC as planned in early December, that may have been enough to lead to explosive sales, as 3D World and DKC would have combined to create even stronger momentum. Unfortunately it was delayed, and here we are. DKC in February, by which time Wii U will have bottomed out again due to no software releases for eight weeks.

L~A

Where in an official document? Link please.

I just checked the April line-up document, and it says 'TBD' for Mario Kart 8, and the document released in July already said "Spring 2014", so if they ever said 2013 for MK, it was probably a misinformed rep or something. And during the January Direct, they never said anything about when MK8 would be released.

Yup, people were expecting MK8 in 2013, but I don't remember Nintendo ever saying that would be when it'd be released.

Sendou

I just checked the April line-up document, and it says 'TBD' for Mario Kart 8, and the document released in July already said "Spring 2014", so if they ever said 2013 for MK, it was probably a misinformed rep or something. And during the January Direct, they never said anything about when MK8 would be released.

Yup, people were expecting MK8 in 2013, but I don't remember Nintendo ever saying that would be when it'd be released.

MK8 was never scheluded for 2013. It was first mentioned in the January Direct where they said it was going to be playble at E3 which was true. At the E3 they announced that it would be available Spring 2014. Spring 2014 is still the time window for the title. All 2013 ever was (bad in my opinion) speculation. So not quite sure where that poster got that idea.

Beyond that of course it's getting kind of obvious that Nintendo has no intention of delivering any games this year. Why some are still scheluded for this year you may ask well it's because they like to show people anticipating their titles that they aren't worth shit. For a second I thought these games were scheluded for 2014 because Nintendo has firsthand information about the state of the development of these titles and has also learned what it means to make a game for Wii U (they have released a number of games for Wii U and could have a pretty good idea of what it takes). But no that can't be it. Mod should close this thread because there will be no Wii U games released this year. Looking forward to playing Bayonetta 2, X, Mario Kart 8, Donkey Kong and such in 2015.

spekkeh

Banned
This really means nothing. It's not like the LoZ was a launch title for the NES either. It was almost 2 years after the initial NYC release.

Whoops wikipedia lookup fail. It was definitely already released by the time the NES started picking up steam among us dirty European peasants. And of course it means nothing, there's almost thirty years of changing culture in between, I just thought it was fun to notice the semi-trend.

Mlatador

Banned
...skip...
Had Nintendo released DKC as planned in early December, that may have been enough to lead to explosive sales, as 3D World and DKC would have combined to create even stronger momentum. Unfortunately it was delayed, and here we are. DKC in February, by which time Wii U will have bottomed out again due to no software releases for eight weeks.

DKC:TF is a huge title. DKC:R successfully managed to bring "Donkey Kong Country" back into the spotlight after more than 15 years. It's been loved and praised by gamers and critics alike ever since. Now people will get a full-fledged sequel after waiting another 3 years.

I think it was a smart decision to delay it, so that the new 2014 momentum can start from Frebruary on. Strategically it's always better to somewhat spread your big guns instead of releasing them too close to each other.

However, I'm kind of skeptical about X, Bayonetta 2, Smash Bros. and Fire Emblem x SMT all realeasing in 2014 (I don't know why, but it almost seems too good to be true).

About "no software releases for eight weeks". I'm not sure if that's really a big deal directly after christmas and new years. I think genereally people prefer to start the new year a little slower (at least I do). And those who bought a Wii U for christmas already have a wide choice of great games available, so they should be fine.

Coolwhip

Banned
DKC:TF is a huge title. DKC:R successfully managed to bring "Donkey Kong Country" back into the spotlight after more than 15 years. It's been loved and praised by gamers and critics alike ever since. Now people will get a full-fledged sequel after waiting another 3 years.

I think it was a smart decision to delay it, so that the new 2014 momentum can start from Frebruary on. Strategically it's always better to somewhat spread your big guns instead of releasing them to close to each other.

About "no software releases for eight weeks". I'm not sure if that's really a big deal directly after christmas and new year. I think genereally people prefer to start the new year a little slower (at least I do). And those who bought a Wii U for christmas already have a wide choice of good games available, so...

Meh, after 15 years it's something noteworthy. This sequel 3 years later will do nothing imo.

A bit off topic but I was playing COD Modern Warfare 3 on my friends Xbox (Really enjoyed it for local Co-op).

I noticed C.O.D Black Ops is only £15 new from Game, and I was wondering, is the WiiU version better than the PS3 version?
How does it run?

Don't care about online game play but I will be plauing it local co op now and again.

Also does it have the survival mode?

thanks!

D-e-f-

Banned

That is a completely unreasonable assumption though. That would mean EVERY major game of theirs would slip into the next year other than Mario Kart. Bayo2 is safe for this year. They let people play it last year, after all. They simply can't afford to not ship these games this year, especially Smash. DKCTF could easily get a soft push back because Mario was a strong-enough title that played to the same general crowd.

X is the only minor wildcard because it wasn't playable, doesn't have a proper title and we don't know how big the scope really is and how well it's doing despite the two teaser trailers looking very very solid already. Still, the game has been in the oven since mid-2010 when Xenoblade shipped.

I've said it countless times before but I'll say it again: other than automated pessimism, there's just no reason to assume either of these games is not coming out this year.

A bit off topic but I was playing COD Modern Warfare 3 on my friends Xbox (Really enjoyed it for local Co-op).

I noticed C.O.D Black Ops is only £15 new from Game, and I was wondering, is the WiiU version better than the PS3 version?
How does it run?

Don't care about online game play but I will be plauing it local co op now and again.

Also does it have the survival mode?

thanks!

If you don't care about online then you won't be affected by the low player count and would be absolutely fine with the Wii U version which is superior for local play due to Two Screen Multiplayer and obviously Wiimote controls. It does have the Zombie mode.

69wpm

I'm curious if Renegade Kid was up to something about the "press event at the end of this month". I really hope Nintendo shows us a few nice trailers again to get us hyped.

On a site note: Don't go in the new PAL Charts thread, the fanboyism is strong with that one.

If you don't care about online then you won't be affected by the low player count and would be absolutely fine with the Wii U version which is superior for local play due to Two Screen Multiplayer and obviously Wiimote controls. It does have the Zombie mode.

Holy crap I think the idea of 2-screen multiplayer just sold me on CoD for wiiu. I need some zombies in my life.

Roo

I really hope they reveal an specific date for Mario Kart 8 at the investors meeting.
Around April 15-25th would be perfect.

Effect

I really hope they reveal an specific date for Mario Kart 8 at the investors meeting.
Around April 15-25th would be perfect.

The sooner the better. The only notable release scheduled is Donkey Kong and that does not look good. That it's the only game not the game itself. That looks great and I'm coming around to that and gotten over my issue with that being the game from Retro. Especially when there are at least a number of games listed for the PS4/PS3/360/XBO in the same time frame. Be they late ports or or new games.

I wasn't crazy about Mario Kart initially. Bad memories of the blue shells but I'm at a place where I don't care anymore. I know, at least for a time, I'll get more enjoyment then frustration out of the game. Hopefully they'll have address the issue with it. The game looks to good to pass up and I want a graphical showcase on the Wii U. I also want an online experience that I know will be healthy for weeks, months, and perhaps years to come.

It's partly why I want another Mario Strikers game and maybe even a Mario Baseball game since we aren't getting any other sports games. As long as they is at least a mode that somewhat resembles real world rules to go along with the craziness.

I'm just hoping that Nintendo will pull some games out of their hat that will release within two or three months. They're announcing and releasing games the same day now. They can at least swing that.

Anth0ny

Because Nintendo has never delayed a game right guys.

I would not be surprised at all if X is pushed into 2015 in North America.

Top Bottom