• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Games 2014

D-e-f-

Banned
Not really. I mean, my posts might be somewhat long, but I'm practically the only one discussing the game. From what I observe, there's a fair variety of discussion going on in the thread. Besides, X's own threads have been closed, and even if they weren't, I don't think the mods would take too kindly to them being bumped for non-news (which is the very reason they were closed to begin with, I believe). And it's not like I can start a new one for this stuff, either; there'd be hardly anything to discuss seeing as how we've already scrutinized the game to its finest detail. This is just me going over some of the minor things we've missed. Furthermore, I feel it falls on the shoulders of us dedicated few to provide competent analyses. I've seen IGN's and Gamexplain's attempts, and they were just so very disastrous.

...But if people really find it disagreeable, I'll stop.

Hell no, please don't stop!

They normally announce their directs at around 9am? EST.

24 hour prior to airing.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Wii U question of the day:

What long-dormant Nintendo franchise would you bring back on the Wii U, and how would it make original use of the Gamepad?

Metroid absolutely. Gamepad = visors. Plus, that franchise would benefit a lot from the HD Wii U graphic capabilities

If Metroid is not dormant, I'd say Star-fox, for similar reasons.

maxcriden

Metroid absolutely. Gamepad = visors. Plus, that franchise would benefit a lot from the HD Wii U graphic capabilities

If Metroid is not dormant, I'd say Star-fox, for similar reasons.

Ah, I like that idea a lot. I know it's been said before, but I think a new Pokemon Snap using the Gamepad would be pretty neat, a la Scuba Diving in Wii Fit U.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Ah, I like that idea a lot. I know it's been said before, but I think a new Pokemon Snap using the Gamepad would be pretty neat, a la Scuba Diving in Wii Fit U.

Imagine...
WiiU-Metroid.jpg

if interested (in Italian):
http://www.wiitalia.it/2012/05/30/wii-u-immaginazione-al-potere-parte-1/1/

L~A

Let's talk again in 10 minutes.

Nope, it would've been announced 1h ago... Honestly, not sure about that Friday rumour... doesn't make sense to me. Renegade Kid never revealed anything during a Direct, and actually, I don't remember them ever showing anything there. Honestly, if we don't get anything by tomorrow, I'll just assume there won't be one this week.

I'll still be on the look out, ha ha ha.

By the way, a bit more on-topic, does anyone else get frequent console freeze when playing AC3? It's the only game ever to do that, no idea why. I hope it's not corrupting anything :p

alejo0121

By the way, a bit more on-topic, does anyone else get frequent console freeze when playing AC3? It's the only game ever to do that, no idea why. I hope it's not corrupting anything :p

It happened to me about 3 or 4 times during the whole game, it didn't corrupt anything and I finished the game

Edit: BTW, I played the retail disk version not the downloadable version

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Looks like it would detract from gameplay if I had to hold the thing up for everything.

well, I disagree. Batman and Zombi already showed how great is to have the gamepad as a second screen. it's not that you have to hold that in front of the tv all the time :)

2 locks for the whole game before the latest big update, no problems with data. eshop version.

D-e-f-

Banned
Nope, it would've been announced 1h ago... Honestly, not sure about that Friday rumour... doesn't make sense to me. Renegade Kid never revealed anything during a Direct, and actually, I don't remember them ever showing anything there. Honestly, if we don't get anything by tomorrow, I'll just assume there won't be one this week.

Re-nope. Most NDs were at 4pm in my time zone (one hour ago) and all of them were announced exactly 24h prior. The last ND was at 3pm which is probably why you're thinking one hour earlier.

Never had a freeze during AC3.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Joe Jack said:
@JoolsWatsham Where can we see the announcement? Live? on your twitter page? :p

Jools Watsham said:
@IamNamedMikael Regardless of where or how it is announced, you can be sure I'll tweet it out. :)
Source: https://twitter.com/JoolsWatsham/status/425695664572358657

The plot thickens. Hopefully it thickens further somewhere around Kyoto.

I'm updating the bingo card as well. If a Nintendo Direct won't happen before the 29th/30th, I'll make it themed towards the Earnings Release/Corporate Management Policy Briefing. Maybe not as exciting as watching something "live", but it's something.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Not really. I mean, my posts might be somewhat long, but I'm practically the only one discussing the game. From what I observe, there's a fair variety of discussion going on in the thread. Besides, X's own threads have been closed, and even if they weren't, I don't think the mods would take too kindly to them being bumped for non-news (which is the very reason they were closed to begin with, I believe). And it's not like I can start a new one for this stuff, either; there'd be hardly anything to discuss seeing as how we've already scrutinized the game to its finest detail. This is just me going over some of the minor things we've missed. Furthermore, I feel it falls on the shoulders of us dedicated few to provide competent analyses. I've seen IGN's and Gamexplain's attempts, and they were just so very disastrous.

...But if people really find it disagreeable, I'll stop.

Why would mods not want X discussion in the X threads? Is it really that bad to discuss a game before it's released and what each trailer may or may not mean? That seems odd imo... I don't mind the posts onilink. I just thought it was amusing.

Krammy

I'm seriously considering a WiiU purchase, but what are GAFer's thoughts on that upcoming January 30th meeting? Should I just hold off on purchasing now in case something is announced? Or do people think it's safe to buy and will be business as usual?

With a few games like The Wonderful 101, Super Mario 3D World and Pikmin 3, along with some more on the horizon like Bayonetta 2, Super Smash Bros U, and X, I finally feel like it's worth putting the money down on it, but the announcement recently spooked me back into unsure territory.

Hiltz

I'm seriously considering a WiiU purchase, but what are GAFer's thoughts on that upcoming January 30th meeting? Should I just hold off on purchasing now in case something is announced? Or do people think it's safe to buy and will be business as usual?

With a few games like The Wonderful 101, Super Mario 3D World and Pikmin 3, along with some more on the horizon like Bayonetta 2, Super Smash Bros U, and X, I finally feel like it's worth putting the money down on it, but the announcement recently spooked me back into unsure territory.

You may as well just wait to hear what comes out of Nintendo's meeting since its so close.

jmizzal

The only reason I would say hold off is due to the possibility of a price drop other then that it will be business as usual and some new games announcements, all the upcoming games are still gonna come and all the games that are out now are not going anywhere.

Boss Man

Not sure exactly why, but I have absolutely zero interest in Donkey Kong TF. Nothing about it looks fun to me at all.

I hope Yoshi's Yarn comes out this year though. That, along with Mario Kart, Smash, X, and maybe Bayo 2 would be pretty sweet.

The_Lump

Banned
Still think there'll be direct this Friday. IGN getting first look might just mean it'll only be in an indie "sizzle reel" in the Direct like they've done before.

Need to save room in the ND for the X gameplay and dev interview and the Zelda U theatrical trailer and the Metroid Prime vs StarTropics reveal.

Riki

Slightly off subject, but this picture made me think about something. Am I the only one who doesn't like using their fingers on the gamepad's touchscreen? I always use the stylus to do anything and everything in the menus/games. I don't wanna get smudges or something on it, lol.

It can depend, but I always find my fingers move slower on the touch screen than a stylus does. Just something about it.

Riki

Imagine..if there is no other Direct..:p

"We regret to inform our audience that we no longer have the budget to produce the Nintendo Direct series of videos. In its place, we will be sending out mail flyers to all people with registered Club Nintendo accounts that have small advertisements for upcoming games on them. Please understand."

Wonder what's wrong then. It's not too big of a problem (doesn't happen during each session, thanks god), though it's quite random.

Sorry for the dumb question but

Do you have the latest update?
Do you have the Wii U connected to the Internet?
Where you downloading something in the background while playing?

Most stability issues are gone after the latest update, but I remember most issues had to do with Miiverse and internet connectivity.

"We regret to inform our audience that we no longer have the budget to produce the Nintendo Direct series of videos. In its place, we will be sending out mail flyers to all people with registered Club Nintendo accounts that have small advertisements for upcoming games on them. Please understand."

Iwata comes out with a white suit in a black room, black gloves, in the center of the room is a Wii U. He starts packing it into the box and says, thank you to all our customers who believed in Wii U, that is all folks, please understand!
end of direct.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
There must be a Direct before the meeting on 30th. I don't think Iwata would lose such an opportunity on a personal level, specially with his position being questioned. Because practically remaining CEO is also a power game based on image.

It can depend, but I always find my fingers move slower on the touch screen than a stylus does. Just something about it.

It would definitely be faster and easier to use my fingers instead of the stylus, but I can't bring myself to do that.

I'm weird. D:

Epcott

Slightly off subject, but this picture made me think about something. Am I the only one who doesn't like using their fingers on the gamepad's touchscreen? I always use the stylus to do anything and everything in the menus/games. I don't wanna get smudges or something on it, lol.

You're not alone! One reason why W101 pissed me off was due to forcing me to touch the screen with my fingers. Gasp! I need to get a scratch resistant cover for it.

On topic, I want X so bad. Question is, will it be more like Xenogears (loved it), Xenosaga (meh), or Xenoblade (never played)?

Riki

You're not alone! One reason why W101 pissed me off was due to forcing me to touch the screen with my fingers. Gasp! I need to get a scratch resistant cover for it.

On topic, I want X so bad. Question is, will it be more like Xenogears (loved it), Xenosaga (meh), or Xenoblade (never played)?
It's definitely more like Xenoblade. Which has less of the overly insane story (but still crazy) that Saga and Gears had, but a far faster battle system and better world to explore.

I even have a cover on the screen, but I still hate using my fingers. xD But glad I'm not alone!

I think X will be a mixture between Xenogears and Xenoblade. Obviously, Xenoblade will be the biggest influence on the game (as you can tell by how it plays), but the addition of mechs might feel more Xenogears-ish (although technically, I guess Xenosaga had mechs as well lol). Even still, it's more Xenoblade with a little bit of Xenogears mixed in from what we can tell so far. You should give Xenoblade a try - it was my game of the generation personally (it's not perfect, but it does so much right).

maxcriden

There must be a Direct before the meeting on 30th. I don't think Iwata would lose such an opportunity on a personal level, specially with his position being questioned. Because practically remaining CEO is also a power game based on image.

I think and hope you are right. I expect one Thursday or Friday. I was pretty surprised one was not announced today.

D-e-f-

Banned

1) But you didn't have to use your finger. Ever. Oo

2) Xenoblade. You can see it in the videos. Combat and exploration is very similar.

Definitely do not stop. I'm a big fan of your X-related posts. Your analysis of the information that's available can't be found elsewhere.

Agreed. Please don't stop your X related posts, onilink88. In this huge drought of information/news about the game, I love reading them even if I can't think of much else to add (yet). Good finds. :)

Top Bottom