• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Games 2014

Muzy72

Banned
Re-nope. Most NDs were at 4pm in my time zone (one hour ago) and all of them were announced exactly 24h prior. The last ND was at 3pm which is probably why you're thinking one hour earlier.

Never had a freeze during AC3.

Hey, there's actually something about Nintendo Directs that D-e-f- doesn't know! :p

Worldwide Nintendo Directs are always at 11pm Japan time. Japan doesn't do daylight savings, so when DST ended, your time zone was 8 hours behind Japan instead of the usual 7. That's why the December Direct seemed like it was an hour earlier than most Directs. Until DST starts again, Nintendo Directs will be at 3pm in your time zone.

Effect

So I managed to get to Best Buy earlier today due to be work being closed early due to the weather. I picked up a used copy of Black Ops 2 and a new copy of Call of Duty: Ghosts. It was on sale for $39.99. I think all versions were that price. I also picked up a Wii U headset that was on sale for $5. The lower tiered Rockfish brand. Now that I have the two games again, I had them before, I'm not sure if I even want them again now. :(

Doubts are filling my mind regarding camping, population, etc. Trying to sleep on it and decide tomorrow after work if I should return them or not. I plan on keeping the headset since I don't have one for the Wii U and for that price I shouldn't pass it up.

Anyone still playing either of the Call of Duty games? Reason to keep them or one of them?

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Renegade Kid 3ds fs reveal will be on IGN this Friday, so finally we know that there will be no NDirect this month.

Prestige Capo

Neo Member
I was about to get RE Revelations on Wii U, but I heard there's no option for Wii Remote/Nunchuck controls (or at least pointer controls). Is this true? It seems like it'd be a huge missed opportunity.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I don't see at all what one has to do with the other.

That's no guarantee, it may even be a Wii U Direct, which is the most important thing right now.

well, that "Press event" was the unique hint we had, plus: this week is ending very soon. that leaves few days to surprise us.
btw, I've always bet on a post-meeting (January 29) NDirect ;p

I was about to get RE Revelations on Wii U, but I heard there's no option for Wii Remote/Nunchuck controls (or at least pointer controls). Is this true? It seems like it'd be a huge missed opportunity.

yes, unfortunately. I've already played the game on the 3DS; wii u version was tempting now that the game is on (permanent?) sale, because they did a good job with offtv, map and equipment on screen, miiverse...but pointers would have been the definitive reason to double dip (as I did for RE4 on the Wii, after the GC version)

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Actually for once they need a Wii U focused ND. 3ds can wait. They need to stop being so secretive and cautious about release dates and release the (almost) full schedule for at list the next 6 months. They can keep some surprises, but not all the fucking schedule should be a surprise. And even if they are not sure about the release dates, GTA V was delayed several times and that didn't stop it from being such a great success. Better to announce and delay than to give the impression that you don't have anything coming in the next months. This secrecy maintained the image of Wii U not having games even after the drought was over.

wilflare

been thinking of getting this on the WiiU but oh well...

any thoughts on Pac-Man Ghostly Adventures?

MDX

Actually for once they need a Wii U focused ND. 3ds can wait. They need to stop being so secretive and cautious about release dates and release the (almost) full schedule for at list the next 6 months. They can keep some surprises, but not all the fucking schedule should be a surprise. And even if they are not sure about the release dates, GTA V was delayed several times and that didn't stop it from being such a great success. Better to announce and delay than to give the impression that you don't have anything coming in the next months. This secrecy maintained the image of Wii U not having games even after the drought was over.

Yeah, but look how delays probably hurt games like Rayman and Watchdogs.
But I do think Nintendo will be offering release dates up till E3.

So I managed to get to Best Buy earlier today due to be work being closed early due to the weather. I picked up a used copy of Black Ops 2 and a new copy of Call of Duty: Ghosts. It was on sale for $39.99. I think all versions were that price. I also picked up a Wii U headset that was on sale for $5. The lower tiered Rockfish brand. Now that I have the two games again, I had them before, I'm not sure if I even want them again now. :(

Doubts are filling my mind regarding camping, population, etc. Trying to sleep on it and decide tomorrow after work if I should return them or not. I plan on keeping the headset since I don't have one for the Wii U and for that price I shouldn't pass it up.

Anyone still playing either of the Call of Duty games? Reason to keep them or one of them?
I still play Black Ops 2. Population is a little over 1K to lower. It was around 500 15 minutes ago. (1:45 am PST)

sackferret

Neo Member
Smash, Mario Kart, and both Zelda games are all that I really want here at the moment. I haven't played Xenoblade, but I must say X looks fucking amazing. I'll get that also if it turns out as good as it looks.

Jethro

That doesn't mean anything. Not every game to be released on the Wii U or 3DS gets showcased on Nintendo Directs.

I agree. And a FPS it's not the typical showcase title even in the US Section of a direct. (although I wish Nintendo would spend more time on Mature Games)

FrankCaron

Gold Member
I picked up Ghosts at launch and saw the population get as high as 2.5k on weeknights / Saturdays before dropping back to sub 1k numbers. The mutiplayer community only plays TDM (with ~200 playing the far superior Domination at peak, at best, and most of the new modes have <20 if not 0 at peak), so I got bored really quickly.

Making matters worse is the virtually non-existent audience for Extinction, where weeknight waits for a party of 4 were sometimes more than 10 minutes long.

Suffice to say, after I beat the campaign and played about 15 hours of TDM, I traded it in.

Effect

Population has remained my main concern. I could deal with a low population if I know it's stable but only playing TDM is why I traded in Black Ops 2 originally after getting it at launch and putting in close to 80 hours. I beat the campaigns for both games already and while enjoyable I don't really have a desire to play them again as there would be no difference in what I do. I only played Black Ops 1's twice because I ended up picking up the PC version for a few dollars after playing the Wii version. Thinking I'll just return them and keep the headset and pick up something else in the store that has a more single player offering or maybe even just the PS3 version of Ghosts.

Edit:

I have been eyeing Splinter Cell: Blacklist due to the ways you can approach missions. So at means I could at least get three potential runs through the game. The co-op is said to be soloable. Just no spies vs mercs though. If only the game had bots. It's likely to be the only Splinter Cell game on the system in the end.

FrankCaron

Gold Member
That was my concern. I beat the campaigns for both and while enjoyable I don't really have a desire to play them again. I only played Black Ops 1's twice because I ended up picking up the PC version for a few dollars after playing the Wii version. Thinking I'll just return them and keep the headset and pick up something else in the store that has a more single player offering or maybe even just the PS3 version of Ghosts.
I kind of went through a similar phase of wanting to fulfill that "hardcore gamer" itch but with only the Wii U available to use. If you're looking for something a little more hardcore, I'd suggest picking up something like Splinter Cell or Darksiders II if you haven't already played them on another console. You'll benefit from the off-screen play and you'll scratch the hardcore itch, and they're both available for super cheap.

Effect

I kind of went through a similar phase of wanting to fulfill that "hardcore gamer" itch but with only the Wii U available to use. If you're looking for something a little more hardcore, I'd suggest picking up something like Splinter Cell or Darksiders II if you haven't already played them on another console. You'll benefit from the off-screen play and you'll scratch the hardcore itch, and they're both available for super cheap.

Thanks. Will be looking to see if they have those or even Batman: Arkham Origins as well.

ozfunghi

Slightly off subject, but this picture made me think about something. Am I the only one who doesn't like using their fingers on the gamepad's touchscreen? I always use the stylus to do anything and everything in the menus/games. I don't wanna get smudges or something on it, lol.

I think i may have used the stylus once or twice.

I seriously don't see how you want to bother with it though. For some games where you need to do stuff on the touchscreen while the action isn't paused on the tv, it would be a hassle and you would be dead by the time you take out the stylus.

I understand for miiverse or touchscreen only games (eshop indie games like Rush).

Welllll, no ND announcement yet...

OsOrqe5.jpg

More waiting...

batbeg

Excuse me if this isn't the best place to ask such a question, but I'm currently on a Nintendo bender with a free weekend with nothing to do
shush you my weekend starts whenever the hell I get off work.
I'm wanting to catch up on something in my backlog that is Nintendo related as there's quite a bit there, so any suggestions?

Pikmin 3 (unopened)
Wonderful 101 (10ish hours in, think whenever I return to it I'll try to just hurry through it because I've only just reached Lorule)
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (I know, not Nintendo, but throwing it out there, unopened, though I played the Wii version for a little bit)
Earthbound (maybe 6 hours or so in)
Toki Tori 2 (again, not Nintendo, but it just seems so slooow)

Xenoblade Chronicles (40-50 hours in, similar to W101 might just hurry it the fuck up whenever I do restart it)
Super Mario Galaxy 2 (? Never played much of it to be honest)
Skyward Sword (got to the area with the time bubbles)

Super Mario 3D Land (tried going back to this last week but it feels like dogshit next to 3D World, but it's funny because I just went back and beat NSMB2 a couple of weeks ago)
SMTIV (unopened)
Fire Emblem Awakening (20ish hours in)
+Ambassador games. I don't believe I ever played any of the GBA ones.

Struck some shit I'm pretty sure I have no interest in continuing (or maybe ever even opening in the case of Project X Zone haha), and this is what I'm left with. If anyone wants to speak up for a particular game I should jump into right away I will make that my priority... when I wake up later today.

maxcriden

Excuse me if this isn't the best place to ask such a question, but I'm currently on a Nintendo bender with a free weekend with nothing to do
shush you my weekend starts whenever the hell I get off work.
I'm wanting to catch up on something in my backlog that is Nintendo related as there's quite a bit there, so any suggestions?

Pikmin 3 (unopened)
Wonderful 101 (10ish hours in, think whenever I return to it I'll try to just hurry through it because I've only just reached Lorule)
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (I know, not Nintendo, but throwing it out there, unopened, though I played the Wii version for a little bit)
Earthbound (maybe 6 hours or so in)
Toki Tori 2 (again, not Nintendo, but it just seems so slooow)

Xenoblade Chronicles (40-50 hours in, similar to W101 might just hurry it the fuck up whenever I do restart it)
Super Mario Galaxy 2 (? Never played much of it to be honest)
Skyward Sword (got to the area with the time bubbles)

Super Mario 3D Land (tried going back to this last week but it feels like dogshit next to 3D World, but it's funny because I just went back and beat NSMB2 a couple of weeks ago)
SMTIV (unopened)
Fire Emblem Awakening (20ish hours in)
+Ambassador games. I don't believe I ever played any of the GBA ones.

Struck some shit I'm pretty sure I have no interest in continuing (or maybe ever even opening in the case of Project X Zone haha), and this is what I'm left with. If anyone wants to speak up for a particular game I should jump into right away I will make that my priority... when I wake up later today.

Sup batbeg! Here are my thoughts. Pikmin 3 is incredible and I would put that at the top of your list for console games. I did not care for Pikmin when I tried it but I love Pikmin 3. As for handheld games, if you're a Zelda fan the Minish Cap is one of my favorites.

batbeg

Sup batbeg! Here are my thoughts. Pikmin 3 is incredible and I would put that at the top of your list for console games. I did not care for Pikmin when I tried it but I love Pikmin 3. As for handheld games, if you're a Zelda fan the Minish Cap is one of my favorites.

I'll possibly pick up Pikmin 3 tonight then depending on whether or not I can find my sensor bar (doh) thanks for the recommendation. Forgot to mention I also have Links Awakening in that backlog.

maxcriden

I'll possibly pick up Pikmin 3 tonight then depending on whether or not I can find my sensor bar (doh) thanks for the recommendation. Forgot to mention I also have Links Awakening in that backlog.

NP! LA is pretty great as well (DX that is) but I would start with Minish Cap personally, it's a bit more concise IIRC. You've got a wealth of good stuff in your backlog. I would say you might want to play another version of Yoshi's Island though if you're ever jonesing to try it as apparently the Ambassador version has some problems. There's always the GBA version as well (playable on a DS or DS Lite).

maxcriden

Iwata Asks: NeoGAF said:
Iwata: Miyamoto-san, are you ready for the Zelda U reveal during this week's surprise Nintendo Direct?

Miyamoto: Ah, Iwata-san. [laughs] I think we need to delay it.

Iwata: The game is not ready to be shown off yet?

Miyamoto: No, Aonuma says it will be ready. But I was reading NeoGAF [laughs]

Iwata: [laughs] Oh brother...

Miyamoto: The posters in the Wii U Games 2014 thread already think there will be a Nintendo Direct this week. I don't think it's going to be enough of a surprise.

Iwata: Let me guess, D-e-f- has them all convinced again.

Miyamoto: [laughs] So I think we need to delay it a few weeks, just to keep them guessing.

Iwata: Okay. [laughs] Only if we get to keep reading more 'X' theories in the meantime?

Miyamoto: [laughs] Yes, we can do that. I wonder when they will figure out it is a classic point-and-click adventure game....

;)

onilink88

Why would mods not want X discussion in the X threads? Is it really that bad to discuss a game before it's released and what each trailer may or may not mean?

I don't think it's because they don't want people to discuss it. Both threads were dead and got bumped for no reason, and it pissed off people who were expecting new info to come with the bumps. I guess that's why they closed them.

That seems odd imo... I don't mind the posts onilink. I just thought it was amusing.

Okay. I thought there was an implied objection because people brought it up.

I thought their discussion with Chuggaconory was pretty enlightening.

Well, that's a discussion video more than it is an analysis one. And the discoveries made from the very little analyzing in it had long been made in the E3 thread (the very same week it came out, it had almost been completely dissected). What I refer to is their actual attempt at an analysis- their first video. It's pretty bad.

Hell no, please don't stop!

Definitely do not stop. I'm a big fan of your X-related posts. Your analysis of the information that's available can't be found elsewhere.

Agreed. Please don't stop your X related posts, onilink88. In this huge drought of information/news about the game, I love reading them even if I can't think of much else to add (yet). Good finds. :)

Haha, alright. Truth be told, though, I don't really have anything beyond pointless/silly observations to post right now (was kinda retreading old discoveries in my before-last post, too). You guys might want to revisit this thread to see if you missed anything.

D-e-f-

Banned
Hey, there's actually something about Nintendo Directs that D-e-f- doesn't know! :p

Worldwide Nintendo Directs are always at 11pm Japan time. Japan doesn't do daylight savings, so when DST ended, your time zone was 8 hours behind Japan instead of the usual 7. That's why the December Direct seemed like it was an hour earlier than most Directs. Until DST starts again, Nintendo Directs will be at 3pm in your time zone.

<- got schooled. :)

Yes it is true and a bummer since the 3DS version apparently had gyro aiming which the WiiU version doesn't have while otherwise carrying over all the awesome features of the 3DS original.

DK in the Spring, Mario Kart in the Summer, Smash Bros in the holiday. See you in 2015 Link.

You're off by one season on all accounts. DK comes out next month (Winter), MK is officially Spring and nobody knows about Smash.

Really? I may need to rethink purchasing it.

Can't wait to watch after work 0_o

The game is completely playable with sticks or even the Pro Controller or Wii Classic Controllers. You can have a picture-in-picture mode of there is a segment that has gameplay on the gamepad and it shows up on the TV (or gamepad if you use off-tv). There's no excuse :D

If it's on Friday they'll announce it tomorrow, no?

Yes but a Friday Direct is extremely unlikely. The TW101 Direct was on a Friday and another regular one in 2012 or early 2013 was on a Friday but none since.

anyone knows if there's local multiplayer for Mass Effect 3?

No, it's online only.

wilflare

WiiU is really gonna take up quite a bit of my gaming budget this year :/

anyone seen preorder deals for
Bayo 2
Mario Kart 8
Smash Bros

I still play CoD BOs 2 but not often, and even between domination and TDM I was having a lot of fun.

I plan to pick CoD Ghost probably but when it is cheaper. But the game population is sad as I think it is very cool on the Wii U with 2 screens.

But when I have yet to pick Pikmin 3, W101, Deus Ex, Splinter Cell, NFSMWU, ME 3, Both Batman and the coming DKCR TF not so sure when I will get Ghosts.

Plus I might be returning to CS as my go to MP game, my work laptop runs it fine for the moment and I am planning to get a PC.

Top Bottom