• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Games 2014

ozfunghi

Excuse me if this isn't the best place to ask such a question, but I'm currently on a Nintendo bender with a free weekend with nothing to do
shush you my weekend starts whenever the hell I get off work.
I'm wanting to catch up on something in my backlog that is Nintendo related as there's quite a bit there, so any suggestions?

Pikmin 3 (unopened)
Wonderful 101 (10ish hours in, think whenever I return to it I'll try to just hurry through it because I've only just reached Lorule)
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (I know, not Nintendo, but throwing it out there, unopened, though I played the Wii version for a little bit)
Earthbound (maybe 6 hours or so in)
Toki Tori 2 (again, not Nintendo, but it just seems so slooow)

Xenoblade Chronicles (40-50 hours in, similar to W101 might just hurry it the fuck up whenever I do restart it)
Super Mario Galaxy 2 (? Never played much of it to be honest)
Skyward Sword (got to the area with the time bubbles)

Super Mario 3D Land (tried going back to this last week but it feels like dogshit next to 3D World, but it's funny because I just went back and beat NSMB2 a couple of weeks ago)
SMTIV (unopened)
Fire Emblem Awakening (20ish hours in)
+Ambassador games. I don't believe I ever played any of the GBA ones.

Struck some shit I'm pretty sure I have no interest in continuing (or maybe ever even opening in the case of Project X Zone haha), and this is what I'm left with. If anyone wants to speak up for a particular game I should jump into right away I will make that my priority... when I wake up later today.

Skyward Sword started to get interesting for me at that point. I think i picked it up again just before, and finished it in a couple of days after.

Xenoblade... 50 hours isn't saying much. That means you might be nearing the end, or that might mean you've got ways to go if you did some side quests or like to take your time. If you've not wandered off too much and stuck to the main story, you'll be close to finishing. I think it took me 80 hours, did a few sidequests, not too many, and i didn't speed through it.

Pikmin 3 is great (my WiiU game of choice) but story mode is only one aspect of what makes it great. Mission mode is more challenging and maybe more fun.

If you're only 6 hours into Earthbound, and you don't feel the uncontrollable urge to play it (yet), i'd wait with this one. You're just getting started and chances are you'll soon want to put more time into it once you start again.

Thanks. Will be looking to see if they have those or even Batman: Arkham Origins as well.

I highly recommend Splinter Cell: Blacklist. I'm currently on the fourth mission and I have to say that so far it's fantastic. I was fortunate enough to buy it brand new for $5, but I would have gladly paid full price for it.

It's a real shame that it will likely be the last Splinter Cell game we see on Wii U.

jmizzal

I highly recommend Splinter Cell: Blacklist. I'm currently on the fourth mission and I have to say that so far it's fantastic. I was fortunate enough to buy it brand new for $5, but I would have gladly paid full price for it.

It's a real shame that it will likely be the last Splinter Cell game we see on Wii U.

To be honest it might be the last Splinter Cell game we see period, which sucks since it was a great game

To be honest it might be the last Splinter Cell game we see period, which sucks since it was a great game

Yup, the game in general sold miserably on all 3 platforms (something like 70% of that was on 360, 29% PS3, and 1.6% Wii U iirc).

That's very unfortunate. I had no idea it had sold so poorly. Surprisingly, it's the first Splinter Cell game I've ever played and because I've enjoyed it so much, I now consider myself a fan. If it's the last one, I sure showed up at the wrong time.

BowieZ

Banned
Anyone know approximately what time of day they would announce a Direct? Is it likely 24 hours earlier than the event, which is, what... about 11PM JPT?

prag16

Banned
That's very unfortunate. I had no idea it had sold so poorly. Surprisingly, it's the first Splinter Cell game I've ever played and because I've enjoyed it so much, I now consider myself a fan. If it's the last one, I sure showed up at the wrong time.
If you happen to have a PS3, Ubi release an HD collection a couple years ago with the first three in the series. It's $20 on amazon right now.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
From my recent expenditure of playing through Xenosaga series, call me crazy but I think the cockpit of the E.S. robots and the one in Project X are somewhat similar. But I think it will be more along the lines of Xenogears and Blade where you only need one pilot.

I need a trailer. I need more.

Riki

From my recent expenditure of playing through Xenosaga series, call me crazy but I think the cockpit of the E.S. robots and the one in Project X are somewhat similar. But I think it will be more along the lines of Xenogears and Blade where you only need one pilot.

I need a trailer. I need more.
Well the same main people that worked on Gears is working on X. Though it seems you'll have far more control and abilities in your Mech in X. Just hope their use isn't severely limited.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
If we don't have an announcement soon then I guess we might see a Direct after the Investor meeting next week.
Then it would be on either Thursday or Friday next week. But given the amount of information that is probably going to be given there, could it not easily cause some confusion as people (media, investors, enthusiasts etc.) are going to be processing the information released? Seems like it could be quite a massive event. I wouldn't dislike it though, but in terms of PR it could prove quite challenging for Nintendo to have the Corporate Management Policy Briefing / Third Quarter Financial Results Briefing and a Nintendo Direct broadcast so close to each other.

I suppose though the Nintendo Direct broadcast could be a special edition meant to in a more general way (less financial jargon) explain the new strategy. If they do that and target it towards the mainstream audience, it could work great. Though I think the mainstream audience are more interested in actual games rather than "we are aiming to soon unify hardware and software across all our systems. To help explain more, I'd like to invite you to have an inside look in our newly constructed headquarters for Research and Development and meet key personnel making this transition possible", so they gotta include something new as well.

As for an announcement, it's Friday past midnight in Japan right now so I very much doubt we'll get an announcement for a Nintendo Direct today.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
see all these desperate N fans, me included, starving for (games? support? nope...announcements/trailers!) NDirect is disheartening ;p
and, btw, if there will be something, will be after the Meeting

maxcriden

see all these desperate N fans, me included, starving for (games? support? nope...announcements/trailers!) NDirect is disheartening ;p

I really wonder if their new strategy will be ready to implement/announce by the time of next week's meeting. Although, I think they did say they plan to discuss it then. That makes me think they have been preparing for this possibility for quite a while.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

Then it is too late, as we will get some info from the meeting Q&A and maybe updated release dates in the official info. :D

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
In the meantime, for a Spider that comes, a Dog that goes?
Just a rumor (as it was for the delay some months ago, than confirmed), but I hope that nobody is putting to much faith in Watch Dogs for Wii U. Source is the same for me: Italian subsidiary of an international videogame retail.

Riki

Just a rumor (as it was for the delay some months ago, than confirmed), but I hope that nobody is putting to much faith in Watch Dogs for Wii U. Source is the same for me: Italian subsidiary of an international videogame retail.
Nintendo is still pushing that game and they'll likely pay if they have to to keep it.

Linkhero1

I haven't turned my Wii U on since finishing Mario 3D World. Donkey Kong is definitely my next game since it's the only game coming out until Mario Kart lol

What indie games are releasing in February?

Birathen

Wouldnt it be really stupid to cancle the game now? Unless they just cant get it to work properly.

It better NOT be canned! :(

Effect

I hope as well WatchDogs isn't canceled. The possible uses of the gamepad were what made me want the Wii U version as well. How that's used will be the deciding factor for games if they're available on the Wii U.

Yeah, strange that Nintendo France has the game (WatchDogs) in that tweet, but anything can happen.

I hope Nintendo is listening, I don´t have any hurry, I have lots of games still to pick up, but they should be very aggressive, I at least would if in that position, they need games, release dates, some indication of life in the console as the perception is in the floor, and they have been extremely timid with their marketing. I hope they can handle the task at hand.

Prestige Capo

Neo Member
yes, unfortunately. I've already played the game on the 3DS; wii u version was tempting now that the game is on (permanent?) sale, because they did a good job with offtv, map and equipment on screen, miiverse...but pointers would have been the definitive reason to double dip (as I did for RE4 on the Wii, after the GC version)

Damn, that's a shame. I loved RE4's controls on Wii and that would've been my only reason to buy Revelations on Wii U since I already have it on 3DS.

Son Of D

Bit of a long shot, but regarding Watch Dogs Wii U. What if the reason GS Italy's saying it's cancelled is because it's become digital only on Wii U?

jmizzal

Bit of a long shot, but regarding Watch Dogs Wii U. What if the reason GS Italy's saying it's cancelled is because it's become digital only on Wii U?

I take that with a grain of salt, one person says theirs got cancelled, thats like believing those amazon france listings for Kid Icarus WiiU and stuff like that.

I am disheartened as in July they stated they would show the new Zelda or at least a glimpse of it. My guess is now it won't be till 2015. I love Nintendo but I only want to own one Nintendo console as I don't have the time for two.

Looking at the 3ds lineup and support I think maybe now I should sell the Wii U and pickup a 3ds instead and make that my main Nintendo console as right now I think I chose the wrong one. (Even if Super Mario 3D World was amazing)

cacildo

I like how people complain about the lack of third party games on nintendo plataforms yet third parties are struggling to release anything remotely good, on any console

Spider man 2 trailer above says a lot

I like how people complain about the lack of third party games on nintendo plataforms yet third parties are struggling to release anything remotely good, on any console

Spider man 2 trailer above says a lot

What? You use Spider man 2 as an example?

Im as much a Nintendo fan as the next one but c'mon now...

Effect

Damn, that's a shame. I loved RE4's controls on Wii and that would've been my only reason to buy Revelations on Wii U since I already have it on 3DS.

Something about the controls also felt off when I played the demo. Maybe that was because it was a demo though. The price at the time of release also stopped me from buying it since I had already bought and beat the 3DS version. I enjoyed the game but not enough to rebuy it without a lower price and pointer controls since RE4 Wii, Chronicles series had it and even the 3DS games had their own version. Capcom had gotten enough of my money at the time with Re:R and Mercenaries. I needed something in return and I didn't see it.

jmizzal

Ok just got Batman Arkam Origins new for $30 on Ebay with the Death Stroke DLC included, with that DLC costing 5.99 on the eshop thats like getting the game for $24 new nice

ozfunghi

I have to say, i'm curious to see what Nintendo has in store for the WiiU and what their plan of action is going to be in general. If Ubisoft is dropping the console as well (if the story about WD turns out to be true), the future is looking pretty bleak. And if they release a new console in 2 years, they can count me out, unless they give me a 50% discount, lol.

I hope pCARS is not getting cancelled and i hope we'll see some new announcements soon. We (and WiiU) need it. I have no interest in getting a PS4 or XBO, but i do like to play more than just Nintendo IP. I'm a bit baffled that of the 4 to 5 million WiiU owners, only so few buy stuff other than Mario and Zelda. Even Pikmin 3 sales are low, and W101 didn't seem to make a dent either. It's all a bit disheartening really.

So, looking forward to that Direct. Surprise me Iwata.

tebunker

Banned
I have to say, i'm curious to see what Nintendo has in store for the WiiU and what their plan of action is going to be in general. If Ubisoft is dropping the console as well (if the story about WD turns out to be true), the future is looking pretty bleak. And if they release a new console in 2 years, they can count me out, unless they give me a 50% discount, lol.

I hope pCARS is not getting cancelled and i hope we'll see some new announcements soon. We (and WiiU) need it. I have no interest in getting a PS4 or XBO, but i do like to play more than just Nintendo IP. I'm a bit baffled that of the 4 to 5 million WiiU owners, only so few buy stuff other than Mario and Zelda. Even Pikmin 3 sales are low, and W101 didn't seem to make a dent either. It's all a bit disheartening really.

So, looking forward to that Direct. Surprise me Iwata.
I don't want to sound like a jerk, but what the hell ever gave you the impression that Project CARS isn't coming? I mean they did a kickstarter and they owe people who chose WiiU the game. It is coming, there has been nothing that makes that in doubt.

I can't speak to Ubisoft dropping WiiU, but the WD Italy thing is completely suspect, I mean it was one edition of the game, while the other editions are still available for preorder on WiiU, and available on other sites.

I need to find a jump to conclusions map Meme for Neogaf and just use that as a standard response from now on.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Wish we had some strong eShop output on the Wii U as I think that would really help fill the gap till games start coming.

Granted we got Nes Remix and a gimped version of F1 (no online wtf), but I wish we had more coming over the next few months.

tebunker

Banned
Wish we had some strong eShop output on the Wii U as I think that would really help fill the gap till games start coming.

Granted we got Nes Remix and a gimped version of F1 (no online wtf), but I wish we had more coming over the next few months.
maybe you aren't Looking in the right places?

There have been several really good Eshop releases over the past couple of weeks. I have too much to play. Are you ignoring Castlestorm and UnEpic, to your own detriment?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
maybe you aren't Looking in the right places?

There have been several really good Eshop releases over the past couple of weeks. I have too much to play. Are you ignoring Castlestorm and UnEpic, to your own detriment?

I've looked there. Forgot about UnEpic. Castlestorm does nothing for me though, and I've passed on it on other platforms.

Maybe I'm biased, but I've much prefered the 3ds eShop early years compared to the Wii U. I think that has to do with a lot of the Wii U titles being ports from other platforms though.

cacildo

What? You use Spider man 2 as an example?

Im as much a Nintendo fan as the next one but c'mon now...

Well, what are the other 3rd party games for the year - any plataform?

I dont even hear about em anymore. I know about watchdogs (and i know you will all feel bad if the wiiu version gets canned but cmon, we know it will be another bad open world game), i know for sure Actvision will somehow drop another COD by the end of the year and... what else?

Since Capcom and Konami simply gave up and EA became what it is today, it seems third parties are not exactly as great as they used to be - and few people seems to notice it.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Did Unepic get censored in some way on Wii U? I read someone mentioning it but I can't find info anywhere on whether I should care about it.

Did Unepic get censored in some way on Wii U? I read someone mentioning it but I can't find info anywhere on whether I should care about it.

Maybe they just removed some strong language? Which was strange, because Knytt Underground uses the f-word without much hesitation... Maybe the developer wanted to lower the age limit, or something.

Prestige Capo

Neo Member
Something about the controls also felt off when I played the demo. Maybe that was because it was a demo though. The price at the time of release also stopped me from buying it since I had already bought and beat the 3DS version. I enjoyed the game but not enough to rebuy it without a lower price and pointer controls since RE4 Wii, Chronicles series had it and even the 3DS games had their own version. Capcom had gotten enough of my money at the time with Re:R and Mercenaries. I needed something in return and I didn't see it.

I noticed that too, the controls didn't feel very precise when aiming. I assumed it was because I got used to the pointer controls, but yeah, they would've been perfect for the game, and a selling point.

You guys make me feel bad because the only 3rd party game I own on Wii U is Monster Hunter, because I only buy exclusives for my Wii U.

I hope it gets released anyways, for the people that want it.

Top Bottom