• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Games 2014

BowieZ

Banned
Wait, I'm confused: why would they have a Direct as late as Feb when they clearly need one ASAP? And it's not like the hardware numbers and profit troubles would have been much of a surprise, internally.

I think they've been planning a Jan Direct all along and a beefy one at that. The only thing that may have changed recently is Iwata's comments, reflecting whatever reception Nintendo has since been facing.

wilflare

This is pretty much true for all versions of LEGO Marvel. My friend has the PS3 version (as does my roommate) and they complained about the same thing. The game is just littered with glitches and bugs. Hard to believe they released the game in the state it's in.

LEGO City is far more polished.

that's pretty sad! i was half-considering getting the PC version to have a better experience but guess I'll just finish this on the WiiU

Sadist

Wait, I'm confused: why would they have a Direct as late as Feb when they clearly need one ASAP? And it's not like the hardware numbers and profit troubles would have been much of a surprise, internally.

I think they've been planning a Jan Direct all along and a beefy one at that. The only thing that may have changed recently is Iwata's comments, reflecting whatever reception Nintendo has since been facing.
I'm just going by the bi-monthly Direct schedule.

2012 and 2013 featured Directs in February, April, June, August, October and December.

January 2013 had Pokémon Direct and the special Wii U Direct. It could happen, but I wouldn't hold my breath. I'd love to be wrong though.

cacildo

Wait, I'm confused: why would they have a Direct as late as Feb when they clearly need one ASAP?

I think the only reason why some of us feel that a direct will come only in february is because it feels they just had a big direct (the one in december)

Wii U question of the day:

What long-dormant Nintendo franchise would you bring back on the Wii U, and how would it make original use of the Gamepad?

Metroid would work well if you could somehow use the gamepad as a scanner like in Lego City.

Perhaps also have Star Fox but with controls based on KIU (so, using the gamepad as a touch screen and moving with it.) The maps for both games would be extremely beneficial on the gamepad.

maxcriden

Better question: Realistically, what can we expect from Nintendo this year if we get another blowout Direct?

Ah, I didn't realize there was a right question and a wrong one. ;)

For what it's worth I think we can't realistically expect many more new Wii U retail games to come out this year beyond what's already been announced and maybe Animal Crossing. 3DS is a different story, though.

D-e-f-

Banned

2012 and 2013 featured Directs in February, April, June, August, October and December.

January 2013 had Pokémon Direct and the special Wii U Direct. It could happen, but I wouldn't hold my breath. I'd love to be wrong though.

There really is no bi-monthly schedule anymore and that is coming from the guy who kept yelling about the existence of the bi-monthly schedule until last Summer when the increase in regularity became apparent. We've had at least two Directs every month in 2013 except for December which had only one.

Sadist

There really is no bi-monthly schedule anymore and that is coming from the guy who kept yelling about the existence of the bi-monthly schedule until last Summer when the increase in regularity became apparent. We've had at least two Directs every month in 2013 except for December which had only one.
There are several smaller Directs in a month, but the big ones always appear in those months.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
1/23/2013 was the first reveal of X,no?

Doesn't really mean much IMO. Smash Bros. 15th anniversary for Japan is tomorrow though. Which also probably doesn't mean much.

Unless they have something at the end of the month expect a direct sometime in February if the bi-monthly pattern is to be believed.

jmizzal

Wii U question of the day:

What long-dormant Nintendo franchise would you bring back on the Wii U, and how would it make original use of the Gamepad?

Star Fox if u mean real dormant

But Metroid is due for WiiU fits the gamepad perfectly

And ND should be this week, just like last year it was the week before the Investors meeting

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Love my Wii U I got for Xmas, and yes I do have the back catalog to go through.

Still with only Donkey Kong having any kind of even remote release date I am kind of like ugh. I don't see how Nintendo generates any momentum waiting till mid Feb for a direct either. They might like to, but the situation doesn't afford them that luxury.

Also I'm totally hyped for Smash, and I'm not even a big Smash fan. That's been a known thing for forever now. If that ends up being their big Holiday 2014 title I'll be hella disappointed. They need that and Kart out ASAP with something else to fill out the lineup for the Holiday.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Star Fox if u mean real dormant

But Metroid is due for WiiU fits the gamepad perfectly

And ND should be this week, just like last year it was the week before the Investors meeting

starfox would be a very good candidate for asymmetric local multiplayer on Wii U

Ι think that a new Direct will be hosted after the financial earnings.
I sense that they firstly need to adress and explain their future plans and then highlight them with new games, hopefully...

Roo

Ehh.. we got two big Nintendo Directs back in December 2012 and January 2013
I honestly don't see any reason to don't get one this time around. They actually need one considering the recent bad news.

Ι think that a new Direct will be hosted after the financial earnings.
I sense that they firstly need to adress and explain their future plans and then highlight them with new games, hopefully...

Yes, I also expect it after the Investor meeting, just a hunch.

They not being clear with the release date has me thinking in some HD development troubles, I hope that hurdle has already passed though.

Iwata and Nintendo I think had hope for this Christmas to be bigger, I don´t think that we will see in games anytime soon any changes in strategy, that will take time.

Vanillalite

Can anyone name when a new decently big Wii U game will hit not named Donkey Kong?

How is that not an oh shit we need a Nintendo Direct yesterday problem?

I really hope there is a Direct this week, I need a reason to get excited about my WiiU, I have DKC TF pre ordered but I really need some more MK8 info about the online mode, a release date and some new X and Bayo 2 footage.

The Directs are interesting, do they show new games every few months or do they keep four or five really big announcements for E3. It would be insane if they done a Direct every month leading up to E3 with a big game announcement on each one :).

Do people think they will return to E3 this year with a full press conference or just do another special Direct on the week of it ?.

jmizzal

I really hope there is a Direct this week, I need a reason to get excited about my WiiU, I have DKC TF pre ordered but I really need some more MK8 info about the online mode, a release date and some new X and Bayo 2 footage.

The Directs are interesting, do they show new games every few months or do they keep four or five really big announcements for E3. It would be insane if they done a Direct every month leading up to E3 with a big game announcement on each one :).

Do people think they will return to E3 this year with a full press conference or just do another special Direct on the week of it ?.

Almost every big ND has a new game announcement rather its 3DS or WiiU, last two was Kirby then Hyrule Warriors and NES Remix and Dr Luigi.

I expect the next ND to have at least 1 big new WiiU game and info on the announced games

D-e-f-

Banned

They already said last E3 in response to all the questions "y u no go tu E3?" that them doing it that way in 2013 doesn't mean that it's going to be the same again in 2014 so I very much believe this means back to the stage spectacle which games like Bayonetta 2 and X will fit very well with. Also Zelda reveal (Zelda talk at E3 '14 was confirmed already).

Can anyone name when a new decently big Wii U game will hit not named Donkey Kong?

How is that not an oh shit we need a Nintendo Direct yesterday problem?

Mario kart 8-Spring. Hyrule Warriors-Summer (JP). That is all we have other than "2014" for X and Bayo2 and TBD for SMTxFE and Yarn Yoshi.

maxcriden

The anti-Nintendo bandwagon seems to be rolling quite a bit lately. In the meantime, still trying to get all the stars in 3DW and having a great time....

Stencil

All this Nintendo doom talk is clouding my vision of what I had in mind when I bought my Wii U... Ah, save me!

So I beat Pikmin 3. The pack-in NSM/LU isn't appealing to me currently, so I'm wondering what to buy next... SMW3D or W101? MH3U? Never played MonHun tho... I also have Xenoblade which I haven't touched yet...

Vanillalite

Mario kart 8-Spring. Hyrule Warriors-Summer (JP). That is all we have other than "2014" for X and Bayo2 and TBD for SMTxFE and Yarn Yoshi.

Those aren't actual dates. Those are just general time frames Nintendo has said they are shooting for (which means they could be moved).

I mean actual confirmed dates or at least a month. I can't name a thing with a solid release date beyond Donkey Kong.

Vanillalite

All this Nintendo doom talk is clouding my vision of what I had in mind when I bought my Wii U... Ah, save me!

So I beat Pikmin 3. The pack-in NSM/LU isn't appealing to me currently, so I'm wondering what to buy next... SMW3D or W101? MH3U? Never played MonHun tho... I also have Xenoblade which I haven't touched yet...

Got my Wii U for Xmas and have really enjoyed TWW HD remake. Also got MH which I hadn't ever really played and enjoy. I've sort of stopped playing MH though, and I've been mainly playing TWW lately.

D-e-f-

Banned
Those aren't actual dates. Those are just general time frames Nintendo has said they are shooting for (which means they could be moved).

I mean actual confirmed dates or at least a month. I can't name a thing with a solid release date beyond Donkey Kong.

Which was exactly the point of my post.

maxcriden

NSMBU is great and really underrated--if you're not feeling it, though, you might not be feeling 3DW either. Maybe try Xenoblade if you're in an RPG mood?

The Wonderful 101 is the best game on the system for me.

But for some reason, some hate it so I can't recommend it without feeling guilty.

(they're wrong)

Is it ok to expect a new Nintendo Direct this week? The one last year was on 1/23 right? Or did the December direct take the place of this one?

Is it ok to expect a new Nintendo Direct this week? The one last year was on 1/22 right? Or did the December direct take the place of this one?

It's ok to but it's no certainty like many would lead you to believe.

There should be one fairly soon though but the real question is whether it's a big one or an average one.

I can see it now:

"Nintendo Direct announced for tomorrow, more looks at previously announced 3DS games".

And what do you expect Nintendo has ready now that they didn't have to show before christmas to try and entice people into buying at the time of year where they are most likely to?

Vanillalite

And what do you expect Nintendo has ready now that they didn't have to show before christmas to try and entice people into buying at the time of year where they are most likely to?

That's the quandary. They needed a new direct yesterday, but it's not like they can just magically pull out something new to show or give us release dates if they aren't ready.

Stuck between a rock and a hard place sadly. :/

I figured a direct at the end of the month was a given after the renegade kid dev mentioned hoping to have a video ready at the end of the month for a montage.

Top Bottom