• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Games 2014

Gambit

I have a question for all the other Wii U owners here regarding this:

I have to say, i'm curious to see what Nintendo has in store for the WiiU and what their plan of action is going to be in general. If Ubisoft is dropping the console as well (if the story about WD turns out to be true), the future is looking pretty bleak. And if they release a new console in 2 years, they can count me out, unless they give me a 50% discount, lol..

Many have said Nintendo would destroy any consumer trust if they abandoned the console quickly. This post made me think of it again.

What do you think Nintendo would have to do to NOT lose you as a costumer for the next console?

a discount like Ozfunghi mentioned?
an ambassador program?
a gift certificate for the eshop?

One answer I can think of is the following: Make the Gamepad compatible with the next console. That would mean I as a Wii U owner can at least continue to use Off-TV. It would feel like a justification for having bought into their experiment.

evanmisha

Many have said Nintendo would destroy any consumer trust if they abandoned the console quickly. This post made me think of it again.

What do you think Nintendo would have to do to NOT lose you as a costumer for the next console?

an ambassador program?

One answer I can think of is the following: Make the Gamepad compatible with the next console. That would mean I as a Wii U owner can at least continue to use Off-TV. It would feel like a justification for having bought into their experiment.

An ambassador program would be nice. Give me F-Zero GX, Super Mario Sunshine, and Super Smash Bros. Melee.

I could deal with that.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

an ambassador program?

continue supporting the console with their games: brand new games as announced (Zelda U, DK, X, Smash, Kart, Yoshi and others), new HD remake (Fzero GX with online, Baten Kaitos Collection, others), eshop releases, continuing support indie developers to push the eshop, continue closing deals with third parties for partnerships and collaborations for crossover or distribution deals (Zelda Musou, MH4 in the vein of M, FExSMT)...until early 2016 at least, and trying to offer bundles anc price cut to sustain somehow the sales to new costumers.

Than launch a new hw in late 2016.

Anything else would simply be disheartening for actual owners, no matter how. Eshop gift cards? to buy what?!

Speaking of ambassador.

Since the GBA games were ROM dumps feeding off the ancient GBA tech that's buried inside the 3DS (DS was BC with it), what if they did the same with GC games on Wii U?

Trouble is, you couldn't replicate the shoulder buttons too well, its greatest weakness.

But didn't the original Wii Classic Controller have pressure-sensitive shoulder buttons? Allow compatibility with that as an option for games like Super Mario Sunshine.

Lachie007

Ok just got Batman Arkam Origins new for $30 on Ebay with the Death Stroke DLC included, with that DLC costing 5.99 on the eshop thats like getting the game for $24 new nice
i got this game for christmas and could never figure how to enter the code for DLC. I follow the directions on the back of the code but theres no "exclusive content" tab anywhere. Do you have to beat the game first before it becomes available?

Gambit

An ambassador program would be nice. Give me F-Zero GX, Super Mario Sunshine, and Super Smash Bros. Melee.

I could deal with that.

So could I!

continue supporting the console with their games: brand new games as announced (Zelda U, DK, X, Smash, Kart, Yoshi and others), new HD remake (Fzero GX with online, Baten Kaitos Collection, others), eshop releases, continuing support indie developers to push the eshop, continue closing deals with third parties for partnerships and collaborations for crossover or distribution deals (Zelda Musou, MH4 in the vein of M, FExSMT)...until early 2016 at least, and trying to offer bundles anc price cut to sustain somehow the sales to new costumers.

Anything else would simply be disheartening for actual owners, no matter how. Eshop gift cards? to buy what?!

Would you be ok, if they launched a new console in 2015, but still supported the WIi U with HD remakes like you mentioned (and man, do I want that Baten Kaitos HD collection)?

For me, the barren release schedulre doesn't much matter, as I play so little anymore that between the releases of 3DS and Wii U and my backlog I am more than set for the
foreseeable future.

Still, I'd love some HD remakes and 3DS up-ports.

D-e-f-

Banned
Did Unepic get censored in some way on Wii U? I read someone mentioning it but I can't find info anywhere on whether I should care about it.

The dev toned down the language a bit on his own volition. From what I've seen on the original PC version, the game used a lot of pointless cursing and stuff like that.

You guys make me feel bad because the only 3rd party game I own on Wii U is Monster Hunter, because I only buy exclusives for my Wii U.

I hope it gets released anyways, for the people that want it.

You should change that to "I only buy good games" because ignoring games for not being exclusive seems weird to me.

tebunker

Banned
You guys make me feel bad because the only 3rd party game I own on Wii U is Monster Hunter, because I only buy exclusives for my Wii U.

I hope it gets released anyways, for the people that want it.

I mean if you like the gamepad and the other features of the Wii U, why would you deny yourself a non-exclusive on the system? I mean Splinter Cell, AC IV, Deus Ex, NFS MWU are all good games, and all of them are good on the Wii U.

L~A

an ambassador program?

Here's my 2 cents on the matter :

1) as already said, keep strong support for the console. That means new games from strong franchise, but also new franchises and more.
2) even more 3rd-party deals and collaborations
3) don't drop support 1 entire year before release of the next console (so earliest drop for support if late 2016 release : mid 2016)

That way, people will see that Nintendo is really serious and cares about its customer, that they're not just gonna bail out the second it goes south.

Also :

4) takes the Wii U strong points and keep improving them; like Miiverse for example : wonderful stuff, that can be even better. The whole replay thing for DKCTF and MK8 is a step in the right direction, making Miiverse even more awesome than it is right now
5) improve the whole online stuff, so that people stop saying "lol Nintendo, welcome to the internet". That way, when they reveal their next console, there'll be "Nintendo playing catching up with the competition"
6) improve the eShop (cart, pre-orders, etc...)
7) make your damn consoles region-free (yup, just wanted to put that one here, ha ha :p)
8) getting your shit together with Virtual Console would be great (60Hz for all, better emulator with more options)

Short story : don't wait for your next consoel before fixing what's wrong with your console : do it NOW. But never, never stop supporting it.

By the way, finally started to play ZombiU. Looks real great so far, though I hate how you can't leave your game at any time, you got to go back to the SR to save. Really annoying if you got to leave in a hurry.

Hindl

Very similar to my idea actually. The Wii U is a great system, but a failure. Comparisons have already been drawn to the GameCube, so go all out. Create as many interesting titles in existing franchises and new IPs as they can. And they need to acquire a ton more studios. Recreate the Viewtiful Joes, the EDs, the Baiten Kratos' of the GameCube era and make these weird offshoot games. Yes, they won't sell a ton and Nintendo will have to eat losses. But if they can pump out these new ideas and get new studios, they will demonstrate to gamers that there is a ton of variety on their system, even without third parties. Then, maybe their next console will appeal more to core gamers.

Oh, and they need to remove everything from the Wii _ series. Next console change the name. If they really want to, they can release the next version of Wii Fit(though why they would want to after those sales I have no idea), Wii Sports, etc. But make those the fringe casual titles like Kinect Sports, and not a major part of the console. Maybe then Nintendo's next console could be successful.

Edit: Also I think they need to launch in 2017 at the earliest. That would give the Wii U a 5 year span, which is respectable, while also probably coming out at least 2 years before the other consoles. This way, they could release a console more powerful than the XBO or PS4 while staying cheap, and when those successors come out with even more power, it would already have market share.

jmizzal

i got this game for christmas and could never figure how to enter the code for DLC. I follow the directions on the back of the code but theres no "exclusive content" tab anywhere. Do you have to beat the game first before it becomes available?

IDK Once I get the game I will see if I can figure it out and let you know

edit
Just beat SM3D World great fun game

Roo

Very similar to my idea actually. The Wii U is a great system, but a failure. Comparisons have already been drawn to the GameCube, so go all out. Create as many interesting titles in existing franchises and new IPs as they can. And they need to acquire a ton more studios. Recreate the Viewtiful Joes, the EDs, the Baiten Kratos' of the GameCube era and make these weird offshoot games. Yes, they won't sell a ton and Nintendo will have to eat losses. But if they can pump out these new ideas and get new studios, they will demonstrate to gamers that there is a ton of variety on their system, even without third parties. Then, maybe their next console will appeal more to core gamers.

Oh, and they need to remove everything from the Wii _ series. Next console change the name. If they really want to, they can release the next version of Wii Fit(though why they would want to after those sales I have no idea), Wii Sports, etc. But make those the fringe casual titles like Kinect Sports, and not a major part of the console. Maybe then Nintendo's next console could be successful.

Edit: Also I think they need to launch in 2017 at the earliest. That would give the Wii U a 5 year span, which is respectable, while also probably coming out at least 2 years before the other consoles. This way, they could release a console more powerful than the XBO or PS4 while staying cheap, and when those successors come out with even more power, it would already have market share.

There are so many things wrong with this post I can't even.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Well I guess the Watch Dogs scare was for nothing...
I'd wait until the 10th of February and the Q3 2013-14 Earnings Release Conference Call for Ubisoft to spill the beans. But hopefully the game will be released in one way or another.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Rösti;98352062 said:
I'd wait until the 10th of February and the Q3 2013-14 Earnings Release Conference Call for Ubisoft to spill the beans. But hopefully the game will be released in one way or another.

You really think Gamestop would know about this ahead of time? What's the point when the game is releasing in like 3-4 months anyways. They'd tell Gamestop around the same time as everyone else, likely at the Earnings Release call like you said. I think Nintendo should hold onto to Watch Dogs if they can. If sales were to pick up at all for the Wii U, they'd solely have the Lego games to point to for third party sales. If Watch Dogs were to sell better than AC4 for example, Ubisoft could at least make a call as to whether a potentially larger Wii U install base (buying DKC or Mario Kart for example), would buy their game as well.

And I bet only the Nintendo-fansites will report on the "whoops, mistake!" part of the story, if that remains true.
Well Kotaku did report the "whoops mistake" part as they were the original source for the US rumor. Yeh, Nintendo is terrible about stopping the spread of bad rumors...

ekimneems

Neo Member
I wonder - should Nintendo just fully embrace being the "n.5" generation system every time? Meaning, release a new console halfway through the lifecycle of Sony/MS's consoles. As a Wii U owner (that also has a 360, PS3, Vita, and 3DS), I wouldn't feel abandoned if Nintendo did the following:

1. Continue strong first party support for Wii U. If they can make even 2-3 games per year that are similar in quality to SM3DW, and an HD remake or two, that would tide me over for awhile. After all, those were basically my expectations going in.

2. Develop a true next-gen console. It should, in horsepower, be well above PS4/XB1, with one caveat: they will have to bite the bullet and take a loss on ensuring full backwards compatibility with Wii U games.

3. Make the most developer-friendly platform/kit imaginable, apologize and improve relationships with publishers, and offer incentives for exclusives (or at this point, even "inclusives," LOL). Use that $10bn+ in the bank for some good.

4. Integrate the portable system (3DS successor) with the home console, similar to either what Sony is doing with the PS4+Vita and PS+ crossbuy/play, or take it one step further and do something along the lines of the "Fusion" rumor that's out there.

I think taking that approach can potentially lead to success. 3 years after PS4/XB1, I think a lot of people will be ready for a 3rd "next gen" or even next-next-gen system.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
This kind of is the wrong thread for this, but how do you get higher resolution screenshots for Wii U games? Is it using the browser or something?

jmizzal

You really think Gamestop would know about this ahead of time? What's the point when the game is releasing in like 3-4 months anyways. They'd tell Gamestop around the same time as everyone else, likely at the Earnings Release call like you said. I think Nintendo should hold onto to Watch Dogs if they can. If sales were to pick up at all for the Wii U, they'd solely have the Lego games to point to for third party sales. If Watch Dogs were to sell better than AC4 for example, Ubisoft could at least make a call as to whether a potentially larger Wii U install base (buying DKC or Mario Kart for example), would buy their game as well.

Well Kotaku did report the "whoops mistake" part as they were the original source for the US rumor. Yeh, Nintendo is terrible about stopping the spread of bad rumors...

It was a joke for Kotaku to run with that US cancellation rumor to began with, that was clearly a fake source telling a lie to them just to spread the rumor. No place in the US canceled the game only Italy had the error, so they had to run the mistake story.

Hindl

There are so many things wrong with this post I can't even.

Could you elaborate on why it's wrong? I'm not doubting its not necessarily right but what do they do? The wii u most likely won't catch fire. But if they come out with amazing unique games, they can come out with their next console with more hype built up

Speaking of ambassador.

Since the GBA games were ROM dumps feeding off the ancient GBA tech that's buried inside the 3DS (DS was BC with it), what if they did the same with GC games on Wii U?

Trouble is, you couldn't replicate the shoulder buttons too well, its greatest weakness.

But didn't the original Wii Classic Controller have pressure-sensitive shoulder buttons? Allow compatibility with that as an option for games like Super Mario Sunshine.

I wouldn't mind this, but as someone with a decent GC library already, what I really want is GC games available on a platform/service that will stick around. If I lose my copy of Tales of Symphonia, MGS:TTS, or FE:poR, I'd have to spend a lot of money to replace it. Having these games on a Steam-style VC service, or even on the current VC for cheap enough, would be great. Having one more hardware-locked copy? It would be nice but not really address the issue.

You should change that to "I only buy good games" because ignoring games for not being exclusive seems weird to me.

yeah, I meant I only buy the best games. I have only bought exclusives so far because I find them to be the best.

Haven't checked it out, I have really limited time and I'm not the biggest Ubisoft fan, I know I'll end up buying it someday, same as the Lego game.

I mean if you like the gamepad and the other features of the Wii U, why would you deny yourself a non-exclusive on the system? I mean Splinter Cell, AC IV, Deus Ex, NFS MWU are all good games, and all of them are good on the Wii U.

I love the Wii U, but I don't want to play any of those games. (I already played Dues Ex a while ago, gave up on AC after III, and the other games don't seem like games I want to play)

freakzilla3000

So what's everyone's prediction for the new Nintendo Direct? I have a weird feeling we may not get one until they let their investors know what they plan on doing at the end of the month....

Wednesday is my guess IF we get one....

Astral Dog

an ambassador program?

A lot of people want Nintendo to drop the Wii U now and reléase a next gen system with more hardcore, western focused titles, but i bought the Wii U and would be very disappointed if they didnt support their system for the next few years until they try another strategy.

I wouldn't mind this, but as someone with a decent GC library already, what I really want is GC games available on a platform/service that will stick around. If I lose my copy of Tales of Symphonia, MGS:TTS, or FE:poR, I'd have to spend a lot of money to replace it. Having these games on a Steam-style VC service, or even on the current VC for cheap enough, would be great. Having one more hardware-locked copy? It would be nice but not really address the issue.

I just want it period!

Here's a solution for Sunshine; let's face it, I think most used the water while running, who really held down the button to spray in place?

So then, when holding down the R button on the GamePad, you do the spray but can still move, effectively removing the "spray in place" ability, because everyone just went into GEARS OF WAR style over the should spray mode for proper accuracy.

That's it! New thread idea!

jmizzal

So what's everyone's prediction for the new Nintendo Direct? I have a weird feeling we may not get one until they let their investors know what they plan on doing at the end of the month....

Wednesday is my guess IF we get one....

It will be either next week right before the Investors meeting or the first week in Feb right after the meeting.

They are gonna wanna let us know everything as well as investors so one will be very soon

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I wonder what's up with that big RPG rumored to be developed for Wii U by that French studio Hanakai Studios and if it's gonna be announced on the next ND maybe.

http://playeressence.com/big-budget-fantasy-rpg-for-wii-u-might-be-revealed-soon/

Did some digging around and judging by the one person's connection to Hanakai Studios and some of the stuff in a LinkedIn Profile mentioning SRPG's and Tabletop games one of the things I came across was this image. Off I believe either this French dude's twitter or the one from Hanakai Studios. The image is from October 2013 however so it is dated but might imply a indie SRPG of some kind. Might just be a concept though. Of the 2 project name's "Black Witch" and "Guardians" this looks connected to Guardian's.

BWDJz8mIMAAEJry.jpg

As for this article I went through the comments and I would suggest reading the comments by Gintoki as that was how I came across the image in the first place and drew some observations.

It's really quite interesting. May not even be a Wii U game at it's core. Could it be a RTS? I can imagine that a RTS on the Gamepad could be interesting indeed. But mere speculation at best.

----------------

Oh. I forgot we have the technology to do that Riki. Ha ha.

Effect

Bought, returned, and then bought and returned again Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 (used) and Ghosts. I think I got that out of my system. Time to put CoD behind me. Instead I actually opened up Splinter Cell: Blacklist tonight and did the first mission. Not to bad. Set things to Rookie just because I have almost no experience with these type of games. Managed to get a higher Ghost rank with Panther being higher then Assault. Was sure due to one section Assault would be the highest. Kinda screwed up and had no choice but to use the AK. Reattempted it a few minutes ago but on Normal. Reduced my previous time 51 minutes to 30 minutes. Knowing the level helps with that of course. Though this time manage get an almost maxed Ghost score. Was curious if the new score would overwrite my Rookie score and it did. Have to say redoing the level was really satisfying. Especially when I tried different routes I didn't even noticed the first time through.

If the rest of the missions are like this and I'm going to be glad I finally picked this up. I think I'm going to stick to the pattern of running the mission the first time on Rookie and then on Normal. This reduces any frustration I think since the missions are so long. It's not like it's very easy anyway. You can still die very quickly on Rookie if you get spotted and get swarmed it seems. Or is that sort of cheating the game?

I guess I could just attempt the next mission on Normal now that I'm more comfortable with how Sam moves and how gameplay pretty much works.

Didn't expect the ship upgrades to actually improve your abilities in the mission. Or so it seems. Unlocked radar on the hud (both levels) so far. I wonder if that can be turned off? Maybe in perfectionist.

Still very early in the game of course but so far I'd recommend the game if anyone is interested. A welcome change to something like Call of Duty in terms of gameplay and even story so far.

jmizzal

Bought, returned, and then bought and returned again Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 (used) and Ghosts. I think I got that out of my system. Time to put CoD behind me. Instead I actually opened up Splinter Cell: Blacklist tonight and did the first mission. Not to bad. Set things to Rookie just because I have almost no experience with these type of games. Managed to get a higher Ghost rank with Panther being higher then Assault. Was sure due to one section Assault would be the highest. Kinda screwed up and had no choice but to use the AK. Reattempted it a few minutes ago but on Normal. Reduced my previous time 51 minutes to 30 minutes. Knowing the level helps with that of course. Though this time manage get an almost maxed Ghost score. Was curious if the new score would overwrite my Rookie score and it did. Have to say redoing the level was really satisfying. Especially when I tried different routes I didn't even noticed the first time through.

If the rest of the missions are like this and I'm going to be glad I finally picked this up. I think I'm going to stick to the pattern of running the mission the first time on Rookie and then on Normal. This reduces any frustration I think since the missions are so long. It's not like it's very easy anyway. You can still die very quickly on Rookie if you get spotted and get swarmed it seems. Or is that sort of cheating the game?

I guess I could just attempt the next mission on Normal now that I'm more comfortable with how Sam moves and how gameplay pretty much works.

Didn't expect the ship upgrades to actually improve your abilities in the mission. Or so it seems. Unlocked radar on the hud (both levels) so far. I wonder if that can be turned off? Maybe in perfectionist.

Still very early in the game of course but so far I'd recommend the game if anyone is interested. A welcome change to something like Call of Duty in terms of gameplay and even story so far.

Yea in perfectionist most the upgrades dont work the same

Yup all the levels are worth going back thru, SC:BL is one of the few games I replayed once I beat it, I never do that, I put in almost 100 hours in it. Even the side missions are great fun. The Briggs Missions is the only one required to do with a co-op online partner.

Haven't checked it out, I have really limited time and I'm not the biggest Ubisoft fan, I know I'll end up buying it someday, same as the Lego game.

I'm not the biggest fan of Ubi games either, and I loved Zombi U. I don't enjoy AssCreed, Rayman or Splinter Cell to be honest. Was scared to buy Zombi but it ended up being one of my favorite games.

Some Nobody

Did some digging around and judging by the one person's connection to Hanakai Studios and some of the stuff in a LinkedIn Profile mentioning SRPG's and Tabletop games one of the things I came across was this image. Off I believe either this French dude's twitter or the one from Hanakai Studios. The image is from October 2013 however so it is dated but might imply a indie SRPG of some kind. Might just be a concept though. Of the 2 project name's "Black Witch" and "Guardians" this looks connected to Guardian's.

As for this article I went through the comments and I would suggest reading the comments by Gintoki as that was how I came across the image in the first place and drew some observations.

It's really quite interesting. May not even be a Wii U game at it's core. Could it be a RTS? I can imagine that a RTS on the Gamepad could be interesting indeed. But mere speculation at best.

----------------

Oh. I forgot we have the technology to do that Riki. Ha ha.

Three months isn't that badly dated According to Marc Kruzik the game was still in development that long ago and they were waiting on an official announcement. Probably E3, or some ND.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
So could I!

Would you be ok, if they launched a new console in 2015, but still supported the WIi U with HD remakes like you mentioned (and man, do I want that Baten Kaitos HD collection)?

For me, the barren release schedulre doesn't much matter, as I play so little anymore that between the releases of 3DS and Wii U and my backlog I am more than set for the
foreseeable future.

Still, I'd love some HD remakes and 3DS up-ports.

in 2015..? I'd be ok only if in 15 they still offer the aformentioned games, not only hd remake at all. one title for example? zelda u.

D-e-f-

Banned
They're pre-recorded so Iwata can easily do both.

Wait, so you're saying he isn't hosting these live while speaking in two languages and in three completely different structures with different topics?!?!

You just destroyed the last bit of magic left in the world.

Shot in the dark here. But Im enjoying COD Black Ops2 on it and I was wondering, is there anymore games like that for the WiiU coming out this year?
Looking forward to a few games this year but just wondering l.

69wpm

Wait, so you're saying he isn't hosting these live while speaking in two languages and in three completely different structures with different topics?!?!

You just destroyed the last bit of magic left in the world.

I always assumed Iwata uses the cherry power-up to duplicate himself.

LoveCake

This is what Nintendo tried to do with the WiiU.

I don't think there is anything Nintendo can do to encourage me to buy their next console, the Ambassador Program on the 3DS didn't make up for the extra £100 i spent on my 3DS at launch & nothing can make up for the £300 i spent getting a WiiU at launch either, i doubt many people will buy a Nintendo console at launch every again, i know i won't & this is the problem Nintendo has, if they do nothing they will upset current owners & if they drop the WiIU & launch something else WiiU owners will be upset.

It takes a few years to get a console designed & made, Nintendo as a company needs to move with the times like MS & Sony have had to do & by releasing out of sync Nintendo consoles will always be nothing but a second system for people.

Yes there are some good games coming out for the WiiU in 2014 which i will be getting a few of, but i'm going to be getting a PS4 a lot sooner than i wanted to so this will of course cut into my gaming budget thus my WiiU will lose out, so far i have DK Tropical Freeze, Bayo2, MK8 & (WatchDogs < this may be switched to a PS4 order though) on order.

The only thing Nintendo can do to get me to support them in buying the follow up console at launch is a discount for being a WiiU launch buyer, it would have to be in the region of £100 discount at launch.

ShinAmano

So I found a Wii U Zelda bundle with Zelda and Monster Hunter 3 (didn't like wind waker and never player a MH) pre loaded + a pro controller for $200...I think I am going to bite...now I will need to find New Super Mario and Mario 3D World cheap.

Am I making the right move?

Some Nobody

This is what Nintendo tried to do with the WiiU.

Yeah, and its a good strategy. They only failed because their launch titles sucked and their first year was equally weak outside of a few good games. If you're going to try it, then you have to give it an honest shot. Come out with a small core of launch titles then (since its Nintendo) drop at least one game every month, whether its from you or from your partners (LOL).

The only thing Nintendo can do to get me to support them in buying the follow up console at launch is a discount for being a WiiU launch buyer, it would have to be in the region of £100 discount at launch.

You're asking too much, so basically you're saying you won't be back.

Top Bottom