• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Games 2014

maxcriden

So I found a Wii U Zelda bundle with Zelda and Monster Hunter 3 (didn't like wind waker and never player a MH) pre loaded + a pro controller for $200...I think I am going to bite...now I will need to find New Super Mario and Mario 3D World cheap.

Am I making the right move?

If the system is used and you don't like either of those games, I think there are somewhat better deals out there, personally. (But Wii U is amazing, and do get one. I got one at $350 a month before the price drop was announced and don't regret it for a moment.)

Effect

Can you play Deus Ex with the wii mote/pointer controlls?

Nope. However that's not a negative. The game isn't a FPS but instead is an RPG that has shooting. You'll be using cover a LOT and even trying to stay out of combat. With the redone boss fights it's even less of an issue.

Still waiting for this to hit $30 so I can buy it. I loved my time through the PC version.

Phazon

Did some digging around and judging by the one person's connection to Hanakai Studios and some of the stuff in a LinkedIn Profile mentioning SRPG's and Tabletop games one of the things I came across was this image. Off I believe either this French dude's twitter or the one from Hanakai Studios. The image is from October 2013 however so it is dated but might imply a indie SRPG of some kind. Might just be a concept though. Of the 2 project name's "Black Witch" and "Guardians" this looks connected to Guardian's.

As for this article I went through the comments and I would suggest reading the comments by Gintoki as that was how I came across the image in the first place and drew some observations.

It's really quite interesting. May not even be a Wii U game at it's core. Could it be a RTS? I can imagine that a RTS on the Gamepad could be interesting indeed. But mere speculation at best.

----------------

Oh. I forgot we have the technology to do that Riki. Ha ha.

Nice find ^^

prag16

Banned
Nope. However that's not a negative. The game isn't a FPS but instead is an RPG that has shooting. You'll be using cover a LOT and even trying to stay out of combat. With the redone boss fights it's even less of an issue.

Still waiting for this to hit $30 so I can buy it. I loved my time through the PC version.

I can't stand dual analog for shooters, but things like Batman, AC3/4, Splinter Cell, and even Uncharted are "okay" with that control scheme. It's really things like CoD and Battlefield that I'd refuse to play with dual analog.

And for a game like Deus Ex it sounds like the gamepad features make it worthwhile. I too am waiting for a chance to snag it sub-$30. I think there was a newegg deal weeks ago in which it was under $25 but I missed out on that. :(

jmizzal

I was thinking about Hyrule Warriors, and I dont think it will have long localization time, for one its a Zelda game and Nintendo would want the WW release close. Also I doubt it would have much dialog as other Dynasty Warriors games, due to Link not talking and most of the enemy's being monsters that wouldnt talk anyways.

I could see the release time being something like June for Japan and July in the west or even early July in Japan and late July in the west, I feel it will have a quick turn around.

The PS4, PS3 and Vita Warriors games will be out this Spring so I cant wait for more info on this game.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I was thinking about Hyrule Warriors, and I dont think it will have long localization time, for one its a Zelda game and Nintendo would want the WW release close. Also I doubt it would have much dialog as other Dynasty Warriors games, due to Link not talking and most of the enemy's being monsters that wouldnt talk anyways.

I could see the release time being something like June for Japan and July in the west or even early July in Japan and late July in the west, I feel it will have a quick turn around.

The PS4, PS3 and Vita Warriors games will be out this Spring so I cant wait for more info on this game.

Yeah I'm really interested in HW myself. Sadly not much to on. The official video on Nintendo's YT channel has over a million views though.

ShinAmano

If the system is used and you don't like either of those games, I think there are somewhat better deals out there, personally. (But Wii U is amazing, and do get one. I got one at $350 a month before the price drop was announced and don't regret it for a moment.)

Hmmm...I thought with the addition of the pro controller it was a pretty good deal. Can you point me to a similar price?

maxcriden

Hmmm...I thought with the addition of the pro controller it was a pretty good deal. Can you point me to a similar price?

I guess it depends if the PC is important to you and you don't mind a used system (does it come with a warranty of any kind?). If you can sell those games, and the above works for you, it is a good price. Buy.com had a deal through eBay last week for $270 new with NSMBU/NSLU included, so that to me was a better deal since it was new and came with games you're more interested in. That one is sold out now though.

ShinAmano

I guess it depends if the PC is important to you and you don't mind a used system (does it come with a warranty of any kind?). If you can sell those games, and the above works for you, it is a good price. Buy.com had a deal through eBay last week for $270 new with NSMBU/NSLU included, so that to me was a better deal since it was new and came with games you're more interested in. That one is sold out now though.

Games are downloaded...and $200 is basically my max...I have time till bayo hits though.

July seems really early. I suspect if we see it sooner than we expect (as in, July), it'll be lower quality than expected. But, if Hyrule Warriors is late this year or early 2015, it may have enough content and quality to be worth it.

jmizzal

July seems really early. I suspect if we see it sooner than we expect (as in, July), it'll be lower quality than expected. But, if Hyrule Warriors is late this year or early 2015, it may have enough content and quality to be worth it.

It was announced for Summer in Japan already, what makes you think it will lower quality if it comes out in July? Just because the game wasnt announced until Dec doesnt mean it hasnt been in development for a while.

Super Mario 3D World wasnt seen until June 2013 and come out Nov 2013, Zelda ALBW was announced in April 2013 and came out in Nov 2013, those two games were the best two games on 3DS and WiiU for 2013.

maxcriden

Games are downloaded...and $200 is basically my max...I have time till bayo hits though.

Oh, okay. Still seems like a very good deal if you've checked CraigsList and can't find any better, and if you don't mind used. I'd make sure it comes with a warranty or similar guarantee though just in case. (Also, people do love MH3 so maybe you'll dig it after all, and I'm sure you already know how beloved WW is, it is a really awesome game so maybe you'll be into that too.)

daripad

I was thinking of getting DKTF by the end of Ferbruary since I was trying to get every big WiiU game coming out this year while wating for last year stuff to go down in price (I got my console last year on December 30 lol)

Right now I just have Super Mario 3D World and NintendoLand. I already 100%ed 3D World and I don't feel like going back to it for a while. NL is great and all but at his point I don't feel like playing too much of it in the next month.

Considering school begins in less than two weeks for me and I won't have much time to play gamesonce it does, do you think I should get one game meanwhile? I mean, I have one more week of doing not much stuff and NL doesn't feel much long.

What do you guys think? Should I get one game before DK or should I wait? If I get one game before DK it should be a cheap one though because otherwise I'd have to say goodbye to DK until next year. Or should I get an expensive one and just ignore DK until it goes down in price?

Also don't tell ne about your offers and what not, I'm mexican so hose kind of suggestions wn't work, sorry :p

Btw the games I see cheap are the launch ones and Luigi U. I was interesred in Sonic all star racing as the demo is great but that framerate ugh. And W101 demo was pure fun once I figured the mechanics. I didn't enjoy NSMB2 much because it was easy.

I was also interested in getting a game with wiimote because I don't have one and that would give me acces to my Wii games (I have finished all of them though and don't feel like going through them again yet) though it would make me ignore DK too as I wouldn't afford it at launch.

I'm excited for DK, I enjoyed the Wii one and it was on my top 10 games for that console (and that generation too) and TF seems to be at the same level of quality if not better (underwater sections though :/).

Edit: Sory for the super long post guys lol

I was thinking of getting DKTF by the end of Ferbruary since I was trying to get every big WiiU game coming out this year while wating for last year stuff to go down in price (I got my console last year on December 30 lol)

Right now I just have Super Mario 3D World and NintendoLand. I already 100%ed 3D World and I don't feel like going back to it for a while. NL is great and all but at his point I don't feel like playing too much of it in the next month.

Considering school begins in less than two weeks for me and I won't have much time to play gamesonce it does, do you think I should get one game meanwhile? I mean, I have one more week of doing not much stuff and NL doesn't feel much long.

What do you guys think? Should I get one game before DK or should I wait? If I get one game before DK it should be a cheap one though because otherwise I'd have to say goodbye to DK until next year. Or should I get an expensive one and just ignore DK until it goes down in price?

Also don't tell ne about your offers and what not, I'm mexican so hose kind of suggestions wn't work, sorry :p

Btw the games I see cheap are the launch ones and Luigi U. I was interesred in Sonic all star racing as the demo is great but that framerate ugh. And W101 demo was pure fun once I figured the mechanics. I didn't enjoy NSMB2 much because it was easy.

I was also interested in getting a game with wiimote because I don't have one and that would give me acces to my Wii games (I have finished all of them though and don't feel like going through them again yet) though it would make me ignore DK too as I wouldn't afford it at launch.

I'm excited for DK, I enjoyed the Wii one and it was on my top 10 games for that console (and that generation too) and TF seems to be at the same level of quality if not better (underwater sections though :/).

Edit: Sory for the super long post guys lol

I think you answered your own question. If you found the demo fun, the actual game will blow your mind with all kinds of awesome. It's a great, great game and it sounds like you are man enough to handle it.

You won't even be done by the time DK hits. You'll be in gaming heaven.

It was announced for Summer in Japan already, what makes you think it will lower quality if it comes out in July? Just because the game wasnt announced until Dec doesnt mean it hasnt been in development for a while.

Super Mario 3D World wasnt seen until June 2013 and come out Nov 2013, Zelda ALBW was announced in April 2013 and came out in Nov 2013, those two games were the best two games on 3DS and WiiU for 2013.

Well Nintendo summer usually stretches right until the end of September, and quick localization is not guaranteed. September in Japan and October in NA maybe. Regardless, I hope it's awesome, and I really hope it was local multiplayer.

DrWong

It's weird that France is a bigger market for Nintendo than the UK is. NoA and NoE need to learn from their France division.

In the case of DKTF there'e a price drop explaining this performance. Remember the temporary Wii U premium SKU price drop a few days ago, when the console was 14 on Amazon UK...?

I know this is a 2014 thread, but I'd like to know if Nintendoland ever made it back to the North American eShop? I remember it being taken down without explanation last year, shortly after the discount to $29.99. If it's still not on the eShop, has there been any explanation as to why?

D-e-f-

Banned
I know this is a 2014 thread, but I'd like to know if Nintendoland ever made it back to the North American eShop? I remember it being taken down without explanation last year, shortly after the discount to $29.99. If it's still not on the eShop, has there been any explanation as to why?

No.

But I don't know if it's back in the shop.

daripad

I think you answered your own question. If you found the demo fun, the actual game will blow your mind with all kinds of awesome. It's a great, great game and it sounds like you are man enough to handle it.

You won't even be done by the time DK hits. You'll be in gaming heaven.
Is TW101 a long game? I'm afraid that it will be a 10 hour action game that doesn't have.much to do besides replaying the game in higher difficulties
(Which I'm not a fan of).

Btw I haven't played TWW either but I have played the 20 minute demo included in Zelda Collector's Edition and I wss hoping to get that for the GC but many things happened at the time and never could buy it. I don't habe my GC anymore so I guess this is my chance for that game too.

I will still think about it though, DK will be huge for me as platformers are my favorite genre/games and it will last me until Mario Kart if it releases on April.

tebunker

Banned
Is their any advantage from preordering on Amazon? I heard they didn't deliver on time.

I've never had an issue getting something same day from Amazon in terms of preorders. However I am a Prime Member.

really though the best things about Amazon are, in general no sales taxes, decent preorder bonuses (but not always), and lastly the price guarantee. Sometimes other sites will have preorder deals and Amazon will match them for you.

D-e-f-

Banned
Is TW101 a long game? I'm afraid that it will be a 10 hour action game that doesn't have.much to do besides replaying the game in higher difficulties
(Which I'm not a fan of).

Btw I haven't played TWW either but I have played the 20 minute demo included in Zelda Collector's Edition and I wss hoping to get that for the GC but many things happened at the time and never could buy it. I don't habe my GC anymore so I guess this is my chance for that game too.

I will still think about it though, DK will be huge for me as platformers are my favorite genre/games and it will last me until Mario Kart if it releases on April.

TW101 is a 15-20 hour game that also has an extra mission mode that can be played with up to five players.

jmizzal

Come on Capcom announce Monster Hunter 4U and RE4 HD UE for WiiU, MH3U sold very good on WiiU and RE4 has sold over a mil on GC, and Wii and it was a Nintendo exclusive for a short time

maxcriden

I've never had an issue getting something same day from Amazon in terms of preorders. However I am a Prime Member.

really though the best things about Amazon are, in general no sales taxes, decent preorder bonuses (but not always), and lastly the price guarantee. Sometimes other sites will have preorder deals and Amazon will match them for you.

Just to clarify my post above, I am a Prime member too and have not always reliably gotten pre-ordered games day and date. It's been a while though, the last time I pre-ordered a game on Amazon would have probably been SMG2. It's entirely possible they have improved since then, though.

Jawmuncher

Deus Ex is far more of a stealth game than anything else. So anyone going in needs to know that. It's RPGness is so miniscule I would compare it to how much Mass Effect 3 is actually an RPG.

Still it's not a bad game just know what you are jumping into. I went in expecting something that truly allowed me to play in any style I wanted which was not the case even as much as the devs tried to say other wise. You're basically punished for any approach that isn't stealth.

ozfunghi

Deus Ex is far more of a stealth game than anything else. So anyone going in needs to know that. It's RPGness is so miniscule I would compare it to how much Mass Effect 3 is actually an RPG.

Still it's not a bad game just know what you are jumping into. I went in expecting something that truly allowed me to play in any style I wanted which was not the case even as much as the devs tried to say other wise. You're basically punished for any approach that isn't stealth.

It's WAY LESS of an RPG than ME3 is. In fact, to me, it's no RPG at all. It's a story heavy stealth game, that let's you unlock new abilities which are completely optional as well (the game stresses this in the beginning, that it's your choice, ethically, to go through with enhancements or not). You don't "level up", you don't manage a party, and the gameplay mechanics revolve entirely around stealth. Unless you want to go out shooting.

If Metroid Prime let you pick the order in which you pick your upgrades, it would be as much of an RPG as Deus Ex is.

It's WAY LESS of an RPG than ME3 is. In fact, to me, it's no RPG at all. It's a story heavy stealth game, that let's you unlock new abilities which are completely optional as well (the game stresses this in the beginning, that it's your choice, ethically, to go through with enhancements or not). You don't "level up", you don't manage a party, and the gameplay mechanics revolve entirely around stealth. Unless you want to go out shooting.

If Metroid Prime let you pick the order in which you pick your upgrades, it would be as much of an RPG as Deus Ex is.

I don't know why managing a party is supposed to be an element of a RPG game. Usually when playing a role, you play a single role, not a whole bunch of roles at the same time. But yeah, the game has some traditionally RPG elements, like inventory management, weapon upgrades and leveling up the character after you collect enough experience (it's not called that, but that's what it is). But it's mainly an action/stealth game.

ozfunghi

Shot in the dark here. But Im enjoying COD Black Ops2 on it and I was wondering, is there anymore games like that for the WiiU coming out this year?
Looking forward to a few games this year but just wondering l.

Well, Donkey Kong releases soon and it's being made by the team that made Metroid Prime. (hah!)

Are you looking for single or multiplayer? If single player, and you haven't played Deus Ex, you might want to check it out. It's more of a first person stealth game, but you can play it FPS style as well if you want.

I don't know why managing a party is supposed to be an element of a RPG game. Usually when playing a role, you play a single role, not a whole bunch of roles at the same time. But yeah, the game has some traditionally RPG elements, like inventory management, weapon upgrades and leveling up the character after you collect enough experience (it's not called that, but that's what it is). But it's mainly an action/stealth game.

So; basically every character based game is an RPG, since most games have you "play the role" of a character. Resident Evil has the same type of inventory management, weapon upgreades etc. So, also an RPG then.

The only thing that makes this more of an RPG than say RE4, is the completely optional use of Praxis kits. So, while it may have "some" elements of RPG's, so does almost every other game. I judge a game by its core gameplay mechanics. And this is no RPG.

So; basically every game is an RPG, since most games have you "play the role" of a character. Resident Evil has the same type of inventory management, weapon upgreades etc. So, also an RPG then.

Well, that's not wha I said, I said it was an action game with RPG elements. One big element is of course the time you spend in the hub levels just talking to people and exploring, or doing non-combat side quests. Resident Evil has practically none, you just get cut scenes when you meet non-hostile people. In Deus Ex you can actually select what you say for a large part, and even shoot them if you happen to feel like it.

The only thing that makes this more of an RPG than say RE4, is the completely optional use of Praxis kits. So, while it may have "some" elements of RPG's, so does almost every other game. I judge a game by its core gameplay mechanics. And this is no RPG.

Is UnEpic (or Ultima Underworld if you want a less recent alternative) not a RPG then? You play a single character, you don't have to upgrade your skills if you don't want to (in theory at least) and the combat is in real time.

Top Bottom