• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Games 2014

Jucksalbe

Banned
Two Tribes ‏@TwoTribesGames 52m

This week @KnapNokGames, @GaijinGames, @BlackForestTeam, @WayForward and @TwoTribesGames have something pretty nice coming for Wii U owners!

It's a sale.

Edit: From the Nintendo downloads thread:

This week, in Europe

Wii U
Super Indie Connection Sale
Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams - €5.99/£5.19 - Ends February 12th
Mighty Switch Force! Hyper Drive Edition€3.99/£3.59 - Ends February 12th
BIT.TRIP Presents... Runner2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien €4.79/£3.99 - Ends February 12th
Spin the Bottle: Bumpie's Party €2.79/£2.39 - Ends February 12th
Toki Tori 2+ €5.99/£5.19 - Ends February 12th

Edit: Just now saw there is a thread about this, oh well.

BowieZ

Banned
Man every time 11pm JPT passes without a Direct announcement I am struck with a pang of disappointment. It has to be Wednesday, then, surely?

I mean Steel Diver was supposed to be out in Jan or Feb wasn't it? It's already been rated in Australia. We have nothing about that yet.

javac

Man every time 11pm JPT passes without a Direct announcement I am struck with a pang of disappointment. It has to be Wednesday, then, surely?

I mean Steel Diver was supposed to be out in Jan or Feb wasn't it? It's already been rated in Australia. We have nothing about that yet.

Nintendo have an earnings presentation on the 30th right? That's our direct! :p

D-e-f-

Banned

I mean Steel Diver was supposed to be out in Jan or Feb wasn't it?
It's already been rated in Australia. We have nothing about that yet.

There has never ever been any formal announcement of any Steel Diver game after the 3DS launch game. Everything is completely based on speculation, vague interviews ("making Steel Diver with f2p elements") and age ratings for the name.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Nintendo have an earnings presentation on the 30th right? That's our direct! :p
Yup.

cmpb4ukix.png

Source: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/index.html

Yagami_Sama

I'm still horrendously butthurt that Retro's big secret Wii U game turned out to be yet another fucking 2D platformer. Not sure if I'll ever fully recover. :(

I felt the same.

When I was expecting something totally different. This is also the reason that, I am not caring that much for the new DK.

BowieZ

Banned
I'm still horrendously butthurt that Retro's big secret Wii U game turned out to be yet another fucking 2D platformer. Not sure if I'll ever fully recover. :(
I'm not fussed about it being DK but the fact it took over 3 years to make a sequel to a platformer (yeah I know, it's HD and has 3D camera angles) was what disappointed me. Should have been a launch game and their next game should've been nearly out by now.

Shaanyboi

Banned
I'm not fussed about it being DK but the fact it took over 3 years to make a sequel to a platformer (yeah I know, it's HD and has 3D camera angles) was what disappointed me. Should have been a launch game and their next game should've been nearly out by now.

....after a year?

Effect

DKTF looks like utter shit so I can't say I'm hyped about what Retro's doing.

I can understand not being excited about Tropical Freeze because it's another 2D platformer. That Retro is working it and not something else one might have wanted. To say it looks bad just crazy talk.

prag16

Banned
It was obvious that Retro studio was working on a Donkey Kong game, the signs was all there.

Nothing, people are just upset that they didn't get their new Metroid game.

Maybe you could say that in hindsight, but at the time the majority were NOT expecting DKC.

And Metroid? Maybe. I'd have preferred a new IP or something.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
As much as I love platformers, I can see where the fatigue comes in from some. Especially if you've got a decent PC, as there have been a lot of quality 2D platformers released in the last few years.

For me, DKCR was fantastic, and because of that, I'm hyped for more.

Weng

Maybe you could say that in hindsight, but at the time the majority were NOT expecting DKC.

And Metroid? Maybe. I'd have preferred a new IP or something.

228817-IwataBananas.jpg

Also: they made 3 Metroid games then they make one Donkey Kong game and it sells roughly as much as those 3 games combined.
Then the 3DS remake gets released to introduce new players to the franchise.
If it wasn't obvious it was at least very likely.

Hiltz

The problem was Retro Studios didn't have enough time to do a launch title for Wii U, not when they just released DKC: Returns in November 2010, then they needed some time to adapt to HD development too. By early March 2011, one of Nintendo's producers, Kensuke Tanabe, stated there were no "current plans" to do a sequel to DKC, so Retro had not yet even decided on its next project at that point. From what we know, DKC: Returns started development in April 2008, 8 months after the release of Metroid Prime 3, it took around 2 years and 8 months to develop DKC: Returns. Of course, we also know Retro needed to hire more staff to compensate for HD development after they had some staff leave right before DKC: Returns started development. It shouldn 't have impacted development much, but Retro also moved into a bigger office building by Fall 2012.

That comment from Tanabe is basically what made us think they weren't going to do a sequel despite the game having sold 4.9 million copies the same month his comment was released. Of course, Tanabe admitted Metroid Prime wasn't initially conceived to be a trilogy until the end of the first game's development, so they ended up doing something similiar in their decision to do a DKC sequel.

They were also working on Mario Kart 7 and the 3DS port of DKCR. They aren't a big studio, so it's not surprising it took this long.

daripad

I expected Metroid as the retro studios game but for me Donkey Kong was better than what I thought. I really would like to see a third installment so we have a trilogy. Metroid has to appear though, that and F-Zero, is incredible that Nintendo has abandoned all their spacial IP's lol

Roo

So Nintendo Directs usually happen on Tuesdays or Wednesdays.
If they don't announce anything today then it's safe to say there won't be a ND until after the Earnings Release meeting.

Oh :(

oatmeal

Banned
Crazy that we went through a drought last year and it appears we will have the same thing this year.

(I'm not excited for DK)

1/2 of the games in the first two posts wont come out this year.
Why?

- DK is going to be releases in a few weeks
- Mario Kart is going to come out in Spring, because of sales numbers
- X is 4 years in development, no reason why it shouldn't be released
- Hyrule Warriors is said to release in summer
- Watch Dogs has a timeframe as well as Project Cars
- Bayonetta 2 is also far in development
- Sakurai promises Smash for 2014
- etc.

Sendou

Crazy that we went through a drought last year and it appears we will have the same thing this year.

(I'm not excited for DK)

It can't be avoided if a console has no 3rd party support.

That said I don't think it will be as bad as it was last year and I'm confident they still have some 2014 games left to announce that will make the lineup good.

I'm expecting that Direct announcement in about 3 hours, it just makes sense to have one before the investors meeting.

Why?

- DK is going to be releases in a few weeks
- Mario Kart is going to come out in Spring, because of sales numbers
- X is 4 years in development, no reason why it shouldn't be released
- Hyrule Warriors is said to release in summer
- Watch Dogs has a timeframe as well as Project Cars
- Bayonetta 2 is also far in development
- Sakurai promises Smash for 2014
- etc.

It is? that's great.

cacildo

(I'm not excited for DK)

Nah, i dont think its a drought. Its just january.

Next Nintendo Direct should give dates, because there´s too many games to come out in 2014. From what we know, there´s at least enough for one BIG game every two months

Except Donkey Kong. I agree with you, im definitely not excited for DK. Its just ANOTHER 2d plataformer. And i am REALLY tired of 2d plataformers.

There's no Direct announced because there will be no more Directs. Purchase the Nintendo News app from the App Store and Google Play for all your Nintendo news.

Top Bottom