• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Games 2014

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
There being zero skill required for any of the actual platforming combined with rather dry and unremarkable presentation.

I find this statement laughable. There was plenty of skill involved in getting all of the KONG letters and, especially, completing the Golden Temple levels.

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.
There being zero skill required for any of the actual platforming combined with rather dry and unremarkable presentation.

So... what would you consider a platformer that requires skill and has remarkable presentation? 0_o

onilink88

Well, I played Xenoblade too and I still don't know what X is about.

It's has the very same emphases, gameplay-wise, that Xenoblade did.

And from what we have seen X has an empty world

This is about as accurate as saying Xenoblade was empty. That is to say, not in the slightest bit accurate.

the city we saw in the E3 trailer was nothing far from last gen.

Yes, the city bit was rough, and I can't say for sure that it's going to get much better. But that's not where X' strengths lie.

Zero skill? The game is tough as balls. Much tougher than the SNES ones.

It was refreshing to have a game that actually provided challenge and tested my skill unlike cinematic games that make me from Point A and to Point B to trigger a long cutscene and then press "A" to win

DK and Ms. Splosion Man were by far the best 2D (or 2.5D) platformers of last generation.

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.

I mean... ok.

I was going to post a video showing off some of hardest levels in DKCR and link you to several awards it won for actually being one of the hardest games in 2010, but I don't think that'll change your mind, so... ok.

maxcriden

Did you 200% the game? There is immense skill required in collecting the letters and puzzle pieces, in plenty of the (especially midway and later) game levels, and in many of the secret levels, as well as in the post-game content.

Kurtofan

SMG is much easier than DKCR and the Luigi's Purple Coins is pretty easy. Like the only trouble I have with SMG are some of the galaxys where you need to collect 100 purple coins in one sitting and some of the gravity based effects.

Also comparing a 2D game to a 3D game is silly to begin with.

I mean... ok.

I was going to post a video showing off some of hardest levels in DKCR and link you to several awards it won for actually being one of the hardest games in 2010, but I don't think that'll change your mind, so... ok.

I find it hard to believe that he played past a few levels.

DK was on par with Ms. Splosion Man (awesome game) in terms of difficulty in many parts.

It was very challenging and was very rewarding. I liked it much more than the SNES Dokney Kong Country games. I couldn't believe how much they ramped up the challenge

Not a hard level but stuff like this in DK was awesome

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibLPAXXNtp8

It had great art

maxcriden

If Nintendo was smart they would have had Retro do Metroid or something similar 1st and DK later at a time that tons of other platformers were not being released.

I love Mario 3d World, NSMB is a good game, Rayman is best on the Wii U, and I will love DK....but that doesn't change that they have tons of platformers already, a DK came out on Wii fairly recently, and they just released DK on 3DS.

This kind of hurts DK Wii U.

I understand what you're saying about market saturation, but I think the issue is that Metroid traditionally does not sell anywhere near as well as DK, so they have to weigh that against the market saturation issue.

daripad

SMG is much easier than DKCR and the Luigi's Purple Coins is pretty easy. Like the only trouble I have with SMG are some of the galaxys where you need to collect 100 purple coins in one sitting and some of the gravity based effects.

Also comparing a 2D game to a 3D game is silly to begin with.

This. Super Mario Galaxy is the kost boring Mario game ever due to how easy ut was. None of the levels were challenging. Good thing that they fixed that in Galaxy 2.

Mlatador

Banned
Guys, don't feed the troll. There is no need to "defend" DKCR, because someone said there is zero skill required. It's just too ridiculous...

Anyway, In the next direct, do people expect Devil's Third to be shown? I have a feeling this might be the or one of the "surprise" games announced there.

I understand what you're saying about market saturation, but I think the issue is that Metroid traditionally does not sell anywhere near as well as DK, so they have to weigh that against the market saturation issue.

It might sell less games but it will sell more systems by offering variety and getting people to bite. This grows the userbase so that more games like DK can sell even better later.

DK sells well but Metroid is more of a system seller

Effect

The loading times in Splinter Cell are insane. I gather it's loading the entire level but still. It's been crazy so far. So far I've been trying to stealth the best I can simply because you die so quickly if a gun battle breaks out. However I'm finding it harder and harder to actually stay out of gun fights at times. At least on the first run since I don't know the lay of the land. I'm enjoying the game but the slow nature of it and that the single player missions so far have largely been similar in actions but different in location is sort of a turn off. To be expected I guess. I said I would stop doing this but Best Buy is offering 100% bonus credit for trade ins now. I paid $20 for Splinter Cell and would be getting that back if I trade it in to them. No loss other then the tax I paid. Tempting at the moment since I've had my curiosity addressed regarding the game.

Riki

People need to realize two things when it comes to Retro making Donkey Kong.

1. They wanted to. This is probably due to the fact that it was easier at the time when they were transitioning members and locations (moving to a bigger building) and easier to work with on a brand new system.

2. Donkey Kong was started long before the WiiU was out so they wanted something that they thought would push systems with the Wii crowd. In hindsight, they might have had them work on a different game, but it's far too late.

maxcriden

It might sell less games but it will sell more systems by offering variety and getting people to bite. This grows the userbase so that more games like DK can sell even better later.

DK sells well but Metroid is more of a system seller

That's a good point. I have never heard that though. Do you have a link?

Eiolon

People need to realize two things when it comes to Retro making Donkey Kong.

1. They wanted to. This is probably due to the fact that it was easier at the time when they were transitioning members and locations (moving to a bigger building) and easier to work with on a brand new system.

2. Donkey Kong was started long before the WiiU was out so they wanted something that they thought would push systems with the Wii crowd. In hindsight, they might have had them work on a different game, but it's far too late.

They say they wanted to, but I think that was scripted because Nintendo knew fans would be disappointed that Retro wasn't working on something different. I mean, half the unveiling video was about them "wanting" to do it just to make the point.

Weng

Has a Metroid game been a system seller?
I've seen way more people claiming they would buy a Wii U for a new Metroid (or F-Zero or Star Fox) game than people who said the same about a new DKC game. But that of course doesn't mean Metroid would actually be a bigger system seller than DKC.

Son Of D

Unfortunally true.
Even GAF, all so proud of the "no, not graphics, gameplay is what really matters...." statement... EVERY SINGLE NEW game thread is "graphics this, graphics that, looks like shit, the graphics are amazing"

"Graphics", the only selling point of a videogame since 1984

Pretty much. Recent examples being Pikmin 3's "shitty textures" and Metal Gear Rising's "PS2 geometry". Smash has got shit on as well (but not the 3DS version) graphically. Heck there was also the people who complained about that Next-Gen screenshot thread having Wii U.

Jump and Run

Whoops, that's what I meant! I blame the drinking.

I'm disappointed that there is still no direct announcement. Come on Nintendo, we need some hype over here!

The landscape for Wii U games is pretty sparse, but I'm also convinced that Tropical Freeze, Mario Kart, and Smash will be three of my personal favorites this year, so I can't feel TOO awfully upset. Still, it would be wonderful to have some more holiday titles to look forward to.

Hiltz

They say they wanted to, but I think that was scripted because Nintendo knew fans would be disappointed that Retro wasn't working on something different. I mean, half the unveiling video was about them "wanting" to do it just to make the point.

I don't believe that. Retro just wanted to do a sequel because they had left over ideas they didn't want to leave to roast on the back burner for years in between a different project or two. If you're going to do a sequel, then you may as well do it right after the first one. Retro had to be in possession of dev kits by late 2010 or early 2011, but it t can almost a year for them to begin new projects. For example, DKC: Returns didn't begin until 8 months after Metroid Prime 3 came out. Retro must have not started development on DKC sequel until at least spring 2011 from what Tanabe said about having no current plans to do it by early March 2011.

onilink88

Just some pointless X squealing on my part:

cke.gif

It's not enough that this game has a sci-fantasy anime/manga aesthetic, dinosaurs, giant swords, mechs, aerial mech combat, third person gunplay, a crazy huge world, and DAT ASS as far as the eye can see... but mech-interior-over-the-shoulder-third-person shooting, too? This right here is my dream JRPG. At this point, the only games that could rival my excitement for X are followups to Majora's Mask, Twilight Princess, and/or (non-turn-based) Skies of Arcadia.

prag16

Banned
The loading times in Splinter Cell are insane. I gather it's loading the entire level but still. It's been crazy so far. So far I've been trying to stealth the best I can simply because you die so quickly if a gun battle breaks out. However I'm finding it harder and harder to actually stay out of gun fights at times. At least on the first run since I don't know the lay of the land. I'm enjoying the game but the slow nature of it and that the single player missions so far have largely been similar in actions but different in location is sort of a turn off. To be expected I guess. I said I would stop doing this but Best Buy is offering 100% bonus credit for trade ins now. I paid $20 for Splinter Cell and would be getting that back if I trade it in to them. No loss other then the tax I paid. Tempting at the moment since I've had my curiosity addressed regarding the game.

Where'd you pay $20 for it? I bought it for $40, played through the campaign, then sold it for $25. But I regret selling it, and will rebuy it when I can get it new (or used copy good condition) for under $20 most likely.

joeposh

Where'd you pay $20 for it? I bought it for $40, played through the campaign, then sold it for $25. But I regret selling it, and will rebuy it when I can get it new (or used copy good condition) for under $20 most likely.

Can't speak for Effect, but I bought my copy for $20 at Gamestop when it was on sale a week or two ago. I have to think they were clearing it out, as it never came back in stock online and I got the last copy in my area.

As for the load times, they are kind of comically long, but once you're actually in the mission there are no pauses or interruptions to the action so it didn't detract that much. Game itself has been surprisingly fantastic thus far, though I've only played the single player mode thus far.

Crom

Splinter Cell is a great game. Load times sucked but it was well worth it. Too bad it didn't do better.

jmizzal

Blacklist is 19.99 at gamestop right now

i got this game for christmas and could never figure how to enter the code for DLC. I follow the directions on the back of the code but theres no "exclusive content" tab anywhere. Do you have to beat the game first before it becomes available?

I just got my Batman AO and you have to enter the code in the eshop, not under the game but once you start the eshop at the top where it says "Enter Download Code"

Effect

I got mine at GameStop. It was listed as $20 new on the website and in-store. I got it last week. Was the last copy in that store as well.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
To those who are defending DKC:TF, I'm sure it'll be a decent game, but it kind of has that NSMBU feel. It's a similar looking sequel to a 2D platformer. Even if the game is actually better (as I thought NSMBU was better than NSMB Wii), it hardly does itself any good if you can barely tell the difference between the new and old game. I'm not saying other series don't have this problem, but Nintendo has usually been pretty good about this in the past. I personally think DKCR sold well b/c it was riding on the coattails of NSMBU, although I'd love to be proven wrong.

Also, a good portion of GAF cares a ton about graphics (whether or not that's justified is for you to decide). What's new there?

2013 Wii U Platfomers:
Luigi U DLC (it also had a retail box)
Sonic
Rayman Legends
Mario 3D World

Mini-Game Collections:
Game & Wario (sounded like this was pretty poor)
Wii Party U

non-platformers:
Pikmin 3 (this actually sold ok b/c they actually advertised this game and it was really good...)
Wonderful 101 (pretty much abandoned by Nintendo for some reason)
Lego City Undercover (did pretty decently, sold over 200K).
Wind Waker HD (remake)
and then all third parties pretty much bombed:
AC4, Batman, Call of Duty, Splinter Cell (which bombed everywhere), etc.

Adding DKC:TF doesn't really help broaden the Wii U's library. Maybe some portion of people who liked Mario 3D World/Rayman might buy DKC:TF, but who else? I do hope David Wise does a great job with the music, but that's basically the only thing making me excited about DKCTF, even though I 200%ed DKCR..

Is MH3U only for those willing to invest shit loads of time on it? Can someone play it occasionally and have fun? I have $10 in DDP, so I could get MH3U for $10.

Impressions?

I need at least some of these (NFSMWU, any Batman, Deus Ex, W101, AC4) to go on sale damn it!! (Digital)

Retro had to be in possession of dev kits by late 2010 or early 2011, but it t can almost a year for them to begin new projects. For example, DKC: Returns didn't begin until 8 months after Metroid Prime 3 came out. Retro must have not started development on DKC sequel until at least spring 2011 from what Tanabe said about having no current plans to do it by early March 2011.

DKCR took a while to get started because Retro was experimenting with various ideas because they weren't exactly sure what they would follow up Corruption with. Prime 2 and 3 began development immediately after the previous game. What held up Tropical Freeze getting started right away was Mario Kart 7. People are very misinformed at how much Retro was involved with it, but the Iwata Asks contains the truth about the matter, that it was a collaboration in every sense of the word, so "full" development of TF most likely did not start until the very end of 2011 or early 2012.

To those who are defending DKC:TF, I'm sure it'll be a decent game, but it kind of has that NSMBU feel. It's a similar looking sequel to a 2D platformer. Even if the game is actually better (as I thought NSMBU was better than NSMB Wii), it hardly does itself any good if you can barely tell the difference between the new and old game. I'm not saying other series don't have this problem, but Nintendo has usually been pretty good about this in the past. I personally think DKCR sold well b/c it was riding on the coattails of NSMBU, although I'd love to be proven wrong.

How is this at all something exclusive to 2D platformers? I would need a hundred more hands to count the amount of sequels that look similar to their predecessors in this past generation alone.

D-e-f-

Banned
How is this at all something exclusive to 2D platformers? I would need a hundred more hands to count the amount of sequels that look similar to their predecessors in this past generation alone.

It's simply the 2D stigma. To a lot of people, 2D games just seem like lower tier games that are incredibly easy to make and barely cost any money. That there is a crapton more stuff going on in Tropical Freeze than in Returns gets completely overlooked. Some just see "ah, same art style, higher resolution ...bleh" and go to write a rant.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven

I never really said it's exclusive to 2D platformers. Lots of third parties are guilty of this for sure. It just happens to be basically those two 2D platformers are similar to their Wii predecessors in Nintendo's case. Nintendo usually takes the effort to differentiate each game in the series in some sense.

The Zelda series has basically taken a new artstyle for nearly every game. Mario 64, Sunshine, Galaxy (2 was similar, but that was on the same console), and 3D World all look very different to each other. I think the original DKC games all looked somewhat different than each other (despite being released 3 years in a row), and Returns looked a lot different compared to them. Tropical Freeze to me looks like DKCR and the first level I played at PAX was decent, but nothing that wowed me. Of course, it was simply the first level, but when showing off a new console, graphics help differentiate the new game from the old game even upon a quick glance.

It's simply the 2D stigma. To a lot of people, 2D games just seem like lower tier games that are incredibly easy to make and barely cost any money. That there is a crapton more stuff going on in Tropical Freeze than in Returns gets completely overlooked. Some just see "ah, same art style, higher resolution ...bleh" and go to write a rant.

What exactly is going on in TF that returns didn't do? Bouncy jello things? Cool I guess. I do like the fire level(s). The jungle silhouette looks pretty. Multiple characters? It's hard to tell how well they're implemented until you really play the game. Personally I'd like to not play DK and just play as Diddy or Dixie. That's one of the reasons DKC2 was my favorite among other things. I'm trying to avoid too many spoilers personally, and I'll still buy the game since I loved DKCR and I'd likely like this one.

ozfunghi

Is MH3U only for those willing to invest shit loads of time on it? Can someone play it occasionally and have fun? I have $10 in DDP, so I could get MH3U for $10.

Impressions?

I need at least some of these (NFSMWU, any Batman, Deus Ex, W101, AC4) to go on sale damn it!! (Digital)

Haven't played MH3. But i do own NFSMWU, Batman AC, Deus EX, W101 (and AC3) among others.

I know NFS gets all the praise and people feel sorry for it not selling well, but... ugh, i really don't like this game. There is no local multiplayer, there are no extra modes (for instance like the crash mode from Burnout) and you can't manually shift in the game. For me, the entire package is sorely lacking. But if you don't care about any of that, it has nice graphics and you get a shitload of cars to race and upgrade. For a quick session of "in-between" it would be an ideal game for purchasing digitally so you don't have to swap discs. But personally, i wouldn't pay more than 20 bucks for it. Might as well safe your money for pCARS or FAST Racing, devs that might actually want to support the platform in the future.

From that list, get Deus Ex and W101 on disc. You'll want to hold on to them and you'll want to finish the game in one go anyway. I finished DE in 61 hours in merely 10 days and the disc never left the WiiU.

I know, and it is exhausting seeing this ignorance so rampant throughout gaming communities. Even Returns had a ridiculous amount of things going on compared to the vast majority of 2D platformers. In some ways I believe fast paced 2D platformers are one of the most complex genres to develop for, because unlike most genres, second to second gameplay is important. There is no walking down hallways to get to the next area, next to no cutscenes or story moments, no wandering around open fields with nothing going on, etc. Nothing is interrupting the next gameplay moment, and it all has to flow seamlessly together.

Glass Joe

Impressions?

Batman Arkham Origins went on sale today in the US. $39.99, it looks like a permanent price drop but I'm not sure. There's also sales on Injustice ($39.99) and a few other WB Games like Scribblenauts. For some reason Arkham City is full price though.

Anyone have Lego Batman 2 on Wii U? It's $19.99 now and I really liked Lego City so I was thinking about biting. I just don't want to find out later if it runs poorly or is a glitch fest. Anyone have any experience with it on U?

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven

Impressions?

I just got AC4 recently and I do like it quite a bit. I personally feel the combat and climbing can be clunky at times, but the overall package seems pretty fun so far (I've played like 5 hours). I've never played an Assassin's Creed however, so this game feels fresh in that aspect, although the stealth mechanics are kind of a joke tbh.

ozfunghi

So, if 2D or 2.5D platformers aren't easier to make, how come we get so many from small indie devs with no money?

DKC:TF has ways to go before it looks remotely as impressive as Trine 2, which was made by a team 1/5th the size in half the time. Just to give one example. The 60fps argument only goes so far.

maxcriden

Beep boop beep. Here I go again. I just made another 2D game!

I don't get the hate for DK TF. I also wanted a new IP or Metroid from Retro but I still think we could get that in the future.

Watching some gameplay it looks similar to DKCR but with more stuff going on like the 3D camera and more things in the environment.

Also I think they recently enhanced the lightning and I can not wait for this game, it is looking like it will deliver in the gameplay department.

I am also amazed at how everything is centering around graphics, even in GAF. A game like DK TF at 720p60 still looks great and even better if the gameplay delivers. I will wait judgement after I get to play the game.

D-e-f-

Banned
So, if 2D or 2.5D platformers aren't easier to make, how come we get so many from small indie devs with no money?

DKC:TF has ways to go before it looks remotely as impressive as Trine 2, which was made by a team 1/5th the size in half the time. Just to give one example. The 60fps argument only goes so far.

It's also a completely different kind of game with a vastly different amount of content.

Top Bottom