• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Games 2014

Birathen

There's no Direct announced because there will be no more Directs. Purchase the Nintendo News app from the App Store and Google Play for all your Nintendo news.

That would be the first app that gets permission to push notifications on my phone :p

A big release every two months would allow me to catch up on my backlog. Gotta see things from the positive side.. :3

ozfunghi

There's no Direct announced because there will be no more Directs. Purchase the Nintendo News app from the App Store and Google Play for all your Nintendo news.

I love Directs, but i think they miss a huge section of their audience, And the fact that they're announced a day prior is poop. At least on the Wii, their was the Nintendo Channel, that had the icon change on the dashboard, with a scrolling text in it to announce new stuff. Now, with ND's, i'm sure millions of both potential customers as well as actual owners of WiiU/3DS don't even know that it exists.

These directs should just be found on your dashboard as soon as a new one is available (they can still do the simultaneous broadcast worldwide) or at the very least, an Iwata Mii should be on wara-wara plaza to announce that there will be a new ND coming, or if the date has already passed, that a new ND can be viewed by clicking on him or by going to the e-shop.

Seriously, only the seasoned Nintendo fans know about it or care about it.

cacildo

I love Directs, but i think they miss a huge section of their audience, And the fact that they're announced a day prior is poop. At least on the Wii, their was the Nintendo Channel, that had the icon change on the dashboard, with a scrolling text in it to announce new stuff. Now, with ND's, i'm sure millions of both potential customers as well as actual owners of WiiU/3DS don't even know that it exists.

These directs should just found on your dashboard as soon as a new one is available (they can still do the simultaneous broadcast worldwide) or at the very least, an Iwata Mii should be on wara-wara plaza to announce that there will be a new ND coming, or if the date has already passed, that a new ND can be viewed by clicking on him or by going to the e-shop.

If the nintendo direct were a little bit better, they could create a buzz on the internet, and make it more popular.

I mean, its kinda amazing how nintendo is missing the point with the current social media situation. This is exactly the time they should bet more (new entries) on classic franchises, so it could create hype on facebook and twitter.

"Alert! Nintendo Direct tomorrow will reveal the NEW Star Fox" and get people talking, and get the whole internet to say "do a barrel roll" for 24 hours (or more), and make a big deal out of it.

Hype for nintendo directs, not only on heavy-users foruns would be great. But first they would need to promise (and deliver) something BIG for nintendo directs. Then they could just hype next directs with "surprises"

Weng

It'll still better than The Wonderful 101 being criticized for "not being the game that will save the Wii U" (or was it Pikmin 3? Can't remember).
How it will play out:
It's even better than DKCR and therefore one of the best 2D platformers in the past 15 years. But it could have been a new Metroid game (-1), it won't save the Wii U (-1), it doesn't justify the GamePad (-1), it's just more of the same (-1) and it could have been done on 3DS (-1).
4/10

These directs should just be found on your dashboard as soon as a new one is available (they can still do the simultaneous broadcast worldwide) or at the very least, an Iwata Mii should be on wara-wara plaza to announce that there will be a new ND coming, or if the date has already passed, that a new ND can be viewed by clicking on him or by going to the e-shop.

They probably think that posting them on Miiverse and eShop is enough for owners. I have no idea why they don't send SpotPass notifications about them in addition.

In fact, I have no idea why they don't send SpotPass notifications about a heck of a lot of things.

ozfunghi

Yep. Sadly, I think it will suffer in reviews and sales because of what it isn't. (It's not Metroid.)

It has nothing to do with not being Metroid. But what they could have done instead of the tenth 2.5D platformer on the system. I hope the game bombs, so they can do away with this stupid notion that it will sell better than Metroid regardless. Jungle Beat was a great game, and it sold like crap. If Nintendo really wanted yet another sidescrolling platformer, they could easily have given the job to an other team.

They needed a game in their launch window, that could make the WiiU shine. Not only is DK a year late for that, but it's also not the game to make the system shine.

After having played Deus Ex, well, something like THAT was what i would have wanted Retro to be doing. A stylized futuristic hybrid game, with great gameplay and an intersting story. It didn't have to be Metroid. It didn't have to be a "Halo-killer". But it sure as hell didn't have to be another sidescroller or Donkey Kong game so soon.

It has nothing to do with not being Metroid. But what they could have done instead of the tenth 2.5D platformer on the system. I hope the game bombs, so they can do away with this stupid notion that it will sell better than Metroid regardless. Jungle Beat was a great game, and it sold like crap. If Nintendo really wanted yet another sidescrolling platformer, they could easily have given the job to an other team.

They needed a game in their launch window, that could make the WiiU shine. Not only is DK a year late for that, but it's also not the game to make the system shine.

After having played Deus Ex, well, something like THAT was what i would have wanted Retro to be doing. A stylized futuristic hybrid game, with great gameplay and an intersting story. It didn't have to be Metroid. It didn't have to be a "Halo-killer". But it sure as hell didn't have to be another sidescroller or Donkey Kong game so soon.

I see your point, but can you blame them for their reasoning? DKCR sold 6m or something thereabouts? They probably believed that people would be clamoring for another one when the reality is that it probably only sold that much because of the existing userbase.

User Tron

I see your point, but can you blame them for their reasoning? DKCR sold 6m or something thereabouts? They probably believed that people would be clamoring for another one when the reality is that it probably only sold that much because of the existing userbase.

Yes you can blame them. Originally DK was planned for November. So that makes Mario U, Luigi U, Rayman, MW3D and DK in the first year. Too many j'n'r games and too few other genres.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I had (no longer banned) Roboleon over at saturday, and we played Champions Road multiplayer which was awesome.

However, after a while we got pretty tired of the start fo the level, so we made it into a battle of who could push the other player over the edge (while still running forward) - and thus being allowed to play the first part (up to the coloured switces).

So in other words, if you have nothing to play on your Wii U - you could just take a random level of Super Mario 3D World and play it like Smash - this is the depth offered by Nintendos core releases :)

It's not only about the DK brand, but that it's the least exciting DK game possible on top of that. DKCR was still exciting for most on the Wii, because it has been long absent, had a great new look and wasn't the only genre on the Wii. Now, you can mix dolphin footage of DKCR into DKCTF material and probably wouldn't notice the differences if you aren't looking for them specifically. Less people would have complained if it was a fullfledged 3D Donkey Kong or something.
Same goes for the whole system. Not only have they done a piss poor job of preparing for next gen, but when they were cornered they did the worst possible thing and just started desperately rehashing what was successful a couple of years ago (and in most cases, the worst of the original Wii), almost identically. Now you have nothing but droughts that are eventually only broken by low effort minigame/platformer sequels (to games that are still selling on the other systems nonetheless) no one asked for on brandnew hardware.
It's really idiotic thinking. Sure, DK sold more than the Primes. But something in the vein of Prime would have at least given the console somewhat of an identity, which it now completely lacks. (Equally, they needed a real successor to Mario Galaxy/64/Sunshine instead of just taking a shallow look at the NSMB/3D Land sales and scratch at least a couple of these minigame collections and make something worthwhile instead)

Yes you can blame them. Originally DK was planned for November. So that makes Mario U, Luigi U, Rayman, MW3D and DK in the first year. Too many j'n'r games and too few other genres.

Well Luigi U is DLC, so that leaves 4 platformers? Why did you include Rayman anyway? I thought we were talking about Nintendo's output? If not, then we'd have to include all third-party releases in the discussion.

Even if we limit it to just Nintendo, 3 platformers (one of which is a 3D platformer) alongside Zelda, The Wonderful 101, Lego City Undercover, and Pikmin 3 doesn't seem too bad to me.

prag16

Banned
"Purchase"??? Purchase? Assuming you misspoke, because, yeah, that's not gonna fly..

User Tron

Well Luigi U is DLC, so that leaves 4 platformers? Why did you include Rayman anyway? I thought we were talking about Nintendo's output? If not, then we'd have to include all third-party releases in the discussion.

As they're the platform holder, it's their responsibility to attract as many gamers as possible. With having so many j'n'r and not that many other games they failed in this regard.

Even if we limit it to just Nintendo, 3 platformers (one of which is a 3D platformer) alongside Zelda, The Wonderful 101, Lego City Undercover, and Pikmin 3 doesn't seem too bad to me.

That depends on your taste. While I'm satisfied with the output, I totally understand people complain about the overall lack of diversity.

Monolith X, DC & Mario Kart is going to make this purchase worth it.

god, I hope so. Mario Kart seems to blow everything else on the system out the water so far, but I'm a little scared it might be too chaotic and random like the Wii title. MK7 significantly improved the balancing, they need to at least keep that :/ And hopefully there isn't too much online mumbo jumbo in X and they just improve on Xenoblade to make an instant classic JRPG.

daripad

JASS AND RITTIES, JA-JASS AND RITTIES!

jump and roll

Oh thanks. The only jump and roll game I see is Donkey Kong and Mario 3D World and I didn't like the roll jump on 3D World.
I can't say more on the matter though, because I did buy the console for the various platformers available.

Edit: I see, it is jump and run so yes I agree that there are a lot of them and Yoshi Yarn (which could be a puzzle game or a platformer game) is still in the pipeline too so anyone who dislikes platformers should really stay away from this console until more games come out

god, I hope so. Mario Kart seems to blow everything else on the system out the water so far, but I'm a little scared it might be too chaotic and random like the Wii title. MK7 significantly improved the balancing, they need to at least keep that :/ And hopefully there isn't too much online mumbo jumbo in X and they just improve on Xenoblade to make an instant classic JRPG.

Mario Kart blows everything out of the water graphically but gameplay wise it does nothing new and the new mechanic doesn't shake things up, is just used to design the tracks in a different way. So we have the same situation of DK here.

And I don't get the appeal of X so far, we don't know how it plays yet. We don't even know what kind of game it is supposed to be.

MDX

Mario Kart blows everything out of the water graphically but gameplay wise it does nothing new and the new mechanic doesn't shake things up, is just used to design the tracks in a different way. So we have the same situation of DK here.

But graphics is all we need this gen to sell consoles.

Except that DK doesn't even have good graphics going for it. MK finally shows the graphical leap you would have expected from their first HD machine and gravity tracks will certainly shake things up more significantly than a bunch of power ups in these phoned-in platformers (or whatever alibi ,,innovation'' they offer in these Wii Fit/Sports/etc packs).

So far they haven't offered any new gameplay, genre diversity or any proper reason for the gamepad on the WiiU. If they can't deliver that, it needs to be a leap in presentation, considering it's a new machine for 300 bucks. And even that was missing from the library so far (and the upcoming DK). Mario Kart at least looks ambitious (and going by that Gamexplain analysis, a single track seems to actually have more detail and love put into it than the entirety of all the 1st party U platformers :lol ).

Riki

Oh thanks. The only jump and roll game I see is Donkey Kong and Mario 3D World and I didn't like the roll jump on 3D World.
I can't say more on the matter though, because I did buy the console for the various platformers available.

Edit: I see, it is jump and run so yes I agree that there are a lot of them and Yoshi Yarn (which could be a puzzle game or a platformer game) is still in the pipeline too so anyone who dislikes platformers should really stay away from this console until more games come out

And I don't get the appeal of X so far, we don't know how it plays yet. We don't even know what kind of game it is supposed to be.

It plays a lot like Xenoblade but more fleshed out in terms of combat and has more exploration and mechs. We know it's an RPG like Xenoblade.

As for Mario Kart, I don't know exactly what needs to be done to make it different. The formula is already great.

cacildo

Damn another day, another no Direct announcement.

Looks like investor news is our next bet.

I think there´s a few hours left until "usual direct announcement" today, no?

(im terrible with timezones...)

Unfortunally true.
Even GAF, all so proud of the "no, not graphics, gameplay is what really matters...." statement... EVERY SINGLE NEW game thread is "graphics this, graphics that, looks like shit, the graphics are amazing"

"Graphics", the only selling point of a videogame since 1984

daripad

It plays a lot like Xenoblade but more fleshed out in terms of combat and has more exploration and mechs. We know it's an RPG like Xenoblade.

As for Mario Kart, I don't know exactly what needs to be done to make it different. The formula is already great.

Oh thanks, is just that the trailers have not explained anything about this game.
And I like the Mario Kart formula, it just needa some tweaks like less blue shells and explosions and more narrow circuits (which they are not doing :/) but I can't wait to play it (hopefully on April)

Except that DK doesn't even have good graphics going for it. MK finally shows the graphical leap you would have expected from their first HD machine and gravity tracks will certainly shake things up more significantly than a bunch of power ups in these phoned-in platformers (or whatever alibi ,,innovation'' they offer in these Wii Fit/Sports/etc packs).

So far they haven't offered any new gameplay, genre diversity or any proper reason for the gamepad on the WiiU. If they can't deliver that, it needs to be a leap in presentation, considering it's a new machine for 300 bucks. And even that was missing from the library so far (and the upcoming DK). Mario Kart at least looks ambitious (and going by that Gamexplain analysis, a single track seems to actually have more detail and love put into it than the entirety of all the 1st party U platformers :lol ).

DK doesn't look bad, it looks amazing and has a beautiful artstyle. But still Mario Kart is not ambicious, it just has the graphical update it needed since Double Dash.

Unfortunately :(

Weng

The perfect Mario Kart would be called Nintendo Kart or Smash Kart and would include tracks, vehicles, items and drivers from all popular Nintendo franchises. Single Player would have a classic grand prix mode and a career/adventure mode that's a mix between the one from Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed and Diddy Kong Racing (including an explorable hub world) and tracks with alternate paths and collectibles like Beetle Adventure Racing. Also more than 32 tracks, more battle arenas and more battle modes. 5 players local play (also possible in GP and career/adventure mode), at least 2 local players online, 12 players online, at least 2 players online co-op for GP and career mode, voice chat, communities, TT, leader boards, sending ghost data, etc...

Unfortunately :(

Yes, this trend towards a graphical fetish is really awkward. It's almost like... people expect to get value out of a new videogame machine. Shocking, truly.
The Wii obviously had no great jump in graphics, yet the games at least changed core gameplay like Galaxy (unlike all the WiiU platformers so far until maaaybe Yoshi), or the Wiimote enhanced it early on already in games such as Prime 3, Excite Truck and Warioware. Yet, who needs the gamepad again? Apparently not Nintendo's 1st party studios. On top of that, more classical entries like Fire Emblem Wii and Mario Strikers at least enhanced the genre variety (alongside actual 3rd party support).
WiiU on the other hand has nothing except underwhelming ,,safe bet'' sequels, i.e. a bunch of platformers and minigame collections that show no innovation in gameplay, no leap in graphics (not one which would significantly surpass original Wii titles on Dolphin). As a next gen machine, the WiiU literally offers no value so far.

But Mario Kart at least looks stunning. And that is, after MK7 already looked great on the 3DS and the jump is still crystal clear. Even if the gravity mechanics turn out to be insignificant (which I doubt), it's finally a Nintendo game which would still at least fullfill one of it's duties as a next gen home console game, while the rest so far (of the titles Nintendo actually tried to push) falls flat in every aspect and there's no reason to upgrade from the 3DS or even the original Wii which cover the same experiences and more. Or maybe I'm just a graphics whore, I mean, I only voted a Sega Saturn port #3 on my GotY list.

DK doesn't look bad, it looks amazing and has a beautiful artstyle. But still Mario Kart is not ambicious, it just has the graphical update it needed since Double Dash.

DK looks like the Wii game, including recycled animations and all that jazz. They added some fur effect that's barely noticable during gameplay and the art direction so far is worse than DKCR. (empty canyons and mountains as backgrounds, lacking the amount of detail from the Wii game) As said above, Mario Kart still looks amazing even compared to an already great looking 3DS title not too long ago.

onilink88

Those of us who've played its "spiritual predecessor" know plenty about it.

Also, I know I'm an obsessed X fan and all, and this might come out as "fanboyish", but I say this in the most neutral of minds: MK8 is not the technical/graphical showpiece of the system, X is (I also realize this is an apples and oranges thing), by a fair margin. Don't get me wrong, MK8 looks really good- much better than I would expect MK to look after MK Wii, but uh, X is doing everything MK8 is and much more.

rokero

since there's no Direct apparently I hope we at least get some good info from the shareholders meeting .. like they're strategy to better collaborate with western developers

Bullza2o

When and what time is the investors meeting? That should give us a clue of how soon a ND should occur. It's around 1AM 1/29/2014 in Japan right now.

Barring any surprises, I'm thinking we're not getting a direct until mid-February. It'll probably have a higher than usual emphasis on Tropical Freeze, a game which is looking great but that I feel we've already seen enough of it (especially considering the delay). Hopefully, we get a surprise or two, a release date for MK8 and at least a launch window ("Summer?") for the US/EU version of Hyrule Warriors and Yarn Yoshi.

daripad

Those of us who've played its "spiritual predecessor" know plenty about it.

Also, I know I'm an obsessed X fan and all, and this might come out as "fanboyish", but I say this in the most neutral of minds: MK8 is not the technical/graphical showpiece of the system, X is (I also realize this is an h
apples and oranges thing), by a fair margin. Don't get me wrong, MK8 looks really good- much better than I would expect MK to look after MK Wii, but uh, X is doing everything MK8 is and much more.

Well, I played Xenoblade too and I still don't know what X is about.

And from what we have seen X has an empty world, the city we saw in the E3 trailer was nothing far from last gen.

But I don't care about that, I just want to.know what is the true concept of X and what it is going to try.

Spieler Eins, there are mich more variety in the enviroments in the new DK but I guess I won't convince you. Anyway, DK is not so impressive but I can't deny that it looks gorgeous.

diaspora

Yep. Sadly, I think it will suffer in reviews and sales because of what it isn't. (It's not Metroid.)

Well, yeah. Metroid is a better quality franchise. DKCR felt like an incredibly lazy, and forgettable effort- though to be fair, there haven't been any DK games that weren't afaik.

maxcriden

Well, yeah. Metroid is a better quality franchise. DKCR felt like an incredibly lazy, and forgettable effort- though to be fair, there haven't been any DK games that weren't afaik.

I don't get the DK hate. To me DKCR 3D is one of the best platformers ever. Do you just not like platformers? I would never think of DKCR as lazy or forgettable. And I think there have been plenty of great DK games.

diaspora

I don't get the DK hate. To me DKCR 3D is one of the best platformers ever. Do you just not like platformers? I would never think of DKCR as lazy or forgettable. And I think there have been plenty of great DK games.

Platformers are great, DK isn't, it's an incredibly mediocre franchise.

Sorry, but calling DKCR "lazy" tells me you know zilch about the kind of work it takes to craft a good 2D platforming level.

It doesn;'t matter. It had too many platformers (I don;'t mind but others sure as hell do)

Metroid + Mario 3d gives you a wider audience than

DK + Mario

They had tons of platfromers scheduled in the 1st year

NSMB
Luigi
Sonic
Rayman
DK
Mario 3D World

This would be fine if they mixed it up with some other types of games.

If Nintendo was smart they would have had Retro do Metroid or something similar 1st and DK later at a time that tons of other platformers were not being released.

I love Mario 3d World, NSMB is a good game, Rayman is best on the Wii U, and I will love DK....but that doesn't change that they have tons of platformers already, a DK came out on Wii fairly recently, and they just released DK on 3DS.

This kind of hurts DK Wii U.

Top Bottom