• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Games 2014

Here's mine:

New prediction league

Jan.: Wii Fit U
Feb.: Donkey Kong
Mar.: --
Apr.: --
May: Mario Kart 8
Jun.: --
July: Wii Sports Club (Retail)
Aug.: --
Sep.: Hyrule Warriors
Oct.: Bayonetta 2
Nov.: Super Smash Bros. IV
Dec.: Yarn Yoshi

2015 Feb.: Monolith's X
2015 Fall: The Legend of Zelda U

I agree with this, for some reason I don't see us getting X this year if only so it gives them a big game for the first quarter of 2015, like the Tropical Freeze delay. Sonic Boom is also missing from that list which could be an August / September title.

Interesting to note that they only showed of Kart and Smash for the first time at last years E3 so if they show off Metroid and Zelda like I expect we should definitely get them before the end of 2015.

Also we only saw 3D World at last years E3 and it was out in Nov, makes me excited about what they have that they haven't yet shared with us. I think we will see the game that Yoshiaki Koizumi teased at last years E3 at this years event whether it's Galaxy 3 or something totally different.

The biggest surprise for me at the last Direct was the lack of another Gamecube HD release which would have again launched in Sept time but then again we got new Smash, Kart, Bayonetta 2 and X footage so I can't complain too much ;).

prag16

Banned
The lack of even low hanging fruit like more GameCube HD remasters, Bayonetta 1 port, and N64 VC.. just baffling at this point. Guess we'll have to wait until E3.

jmizzal

I agree with this, for some reason I don't see us getting X this year if only so it gives them a big game for the first quarter of 2015, like the Tropical Freeze delay. Sonic Boom is also missing from that list which could be an August / September title.

Interesting to note that they only showed of Kart and Smash for the first time at last years E3 so if they show off Metroid and Zelda like I expect we should definitely get them before the end of 2015.

Also we only saw 3D World at last years E3 and it was out in Nov, makes me excited about what they have that they haven't yet shared with us. I think we will see the game that Yoshiaki Koizumi teased at last years E3 at this years event whether it's Galaxy 3 or something totally different.

The biggest surprise for me at the last Direct was the lack of another Gamecube HD release which would have again launched in Sept time but then again we got new Smash, Kart, Bayonetta 2 and X footage so I can't complain too much ;).

I keep saying the big Fall game that we havent seen is the big NFC game they hinted at in the investors meeting, they will make sure they get that out this year

Glass Joe

I took the stay tuned for future updates as to mean what it said more on the game in the future, since they didnt show a trailer. I didnt even realize they didnt say 2014 but I dont think they means much, it doesnt have a name or release date. If they knew right now that the game is 2015 I doubt they would have even shown it, it would be no where to be found like Yarn Yoshi and SMTxFE.

Or maybe Nintendo simply knows that the game scratches an itch for the core gamer audience? Something not currently represented on Wii U (outside maybe Monster Hunter). The same way they've been teasing us Mario Kart, Bayonetta, and Smash for quite a long while. Yarn Yoshi, however, will simply be the billionth kid-friendly platformer, nothing that non-U owners will be excited about. I'm not optimistic about a 2014 release, personally, especially outside Japan. Then there's translation to worry about - Though maybe they learned something with the worldwide release of Pokemon. Constantly re-translating a work-in-process story is probably not cost effective though.

I keep saying the big Fall game that we havent seen is the big NFC game they hinted at in the investors meeting, they will make sure they get that out this year

A visually impressive Pokemon Stadium where you get say 100 characters with the game but need the statues to unlock the others ?. They have to be looking at Infinity and Skylanders and thinking this is a potential goldmine when linked with Pokemon, esp in Japan...

HeySeuss

A visually impressive Pokemon Stadium where you get say 100 characters with the game but need the statues to unlock the others ?. They have to be looking at Infinity and Skylanders and thinking this is a potential goldmine when linked with Pokemon, esp in Japan...

If the WiiU launched with this and the toys to go with it just like Skylanders the WiiU might not be in the bad spot its currently in.

Nintendo seems so oblivious to the obvious things they should be on top of. Such a frustrating company.

spekkeh

Banned
Here's mine:

New prediction league

July: Wii Sports Club (Retail)
Oct.: Bayonetta 2
Dec.: Yarn Yoshi

2015 Feb.: Monolith's X

I reckon Zelda U is going to be a cross gen title (assuming they still want to be a core console developer by that time). They need a killer game for the new system that's not Mario and cross gen Zelda worked out really well for the Wii. That will likely be 2016.
I think it's going to be Miyamoto Gamepad game and SMTxFE for the remainder of 2015. Maybe some Pokemon Snap style thing, and then basically draught until the new system releases fall 2016 with Zelda U.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
So you guys believe there will be no more major Nintendo retail software for Wii U after 2015? Meaning we'll get Yarn Yoshi, SMT x FE, and another handful of games we don't know about, besides what was shown at the direct, and then nothing?

July: Bayonetta 2
Oct.:
Dec.:

2015 Q1.: Monolith's X
2015 Q2: Yarn Yoshi
2015 Q2: SMT x FE (optimistically could be 2016)
2015 Fall: Animal Crossing U

2016 is going to very dry and I don't even want to think about WiiU's situation in 2017. Zelda coming out in 2015 either means that WiiU will only get one Zelda or Nintendo may release another in 2017 but why would you.....why not save it as a launch title for your next system.

spekkeh

Banned
So you guys believe there will be no more major Nintendo retail software for Wii U after 2015? Meaning we'll get Yarn Yoshi, SMT x FE, and another handful of games we don't know about, besides what was shown at the direct, and then nothing?

I feel they're going to lose money on almost all of their AAA games, so I really don't see why they would do more than the bare necessity.

Zalman

I feel they're going to lose money on almost all of their AAA games, so I really don't see why they would do more than the bare necessity.
It's going to give them a bad reputation though. They shouldn't be seen as a company that never supports their systems.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I think it all depends on how MK8 and SSB4 sell. They need to be profitable with Wii U. If they can't achieve that with MK8 and SSB4 for sure they will start moving away from the console.

It's going to give them a bad reputation though. They shouldn't be seen as a company that never supports their systems.

They will support it, but if the Wii U owners won't buy the games, they can't do it for ever.

Shaanyboi

Banned

Well... I've said it before, but I imagine every major WiiU release will be treated like this at Nintendo....

Sendou

July: Bayonetta 2
Oct.:
Dec.:

2015 Q1.: Monolith's X
2015 Q2: SMT x FE (optimistically could be 2016)
2015 Fall: Animal Crossing U

2016 is going to very dry and I don't even want to think about WiiU's situation in 2017. Zelda coming out in 2015 either means that WiiU will only get one Zelda or Nintendo may release another in 2017 but why would you.....why not save it as a launch title for your next system.

You think Nintendo is not going to announce any games for Wii U for the next two years and still have Wii U be a thing in 2017? What a brilliant expert analysis.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I will play this game:

July: NFC title (could be also September - switched with Hyrule Warriors)
Aug.: Bayonetta 2
Oct.: Sonic Boom
Dec.: Animal Crossing

2015 Q1: Monolith's X
2015 Q3: SMT x FE
2015 Q4: Zelda U

Edit: this is only based on known announcement. I don't know if Miyamoto's game is the NFC one or not.

Edit 2: changed the Near Playable Communication to the Non Field Character. lol

ahm998

I am still surprise at how Iwata laziness with 3rd party.

I think better he payed more money for 3rd party to get multi & exclusive games or quit himself from nintendo.

So many good game on gamepad we miss like.

Dark soul 2
Naruto fighting games
MGSV
Guilty gear
Evil within
And more.....

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
\Enters thread
\Leaves thread Happy I didn't blindly blow my money on a Wii U

Nintendo listen to your damn fans for once!!!

How the mighty have fallen :(

Haha, drive by troll and admitting.

By blowing money on a Wii U, you mean playing some of the best games of 2013 and probably some of the best games in 2014? What a waste for a gamer.

69wpm

\Enters thread
\Leaves thread Happy I didn't blindly blow my money on a Wii U

Nintendo listen to your damn fans for once!!!

How the mighty have fallen :(

40s4Cat.gif

If you're so happy you could've kept it to yourself, yet, here you are.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I will play this game:

July: NPC title (could be also September - switched with Hyrule Warriors)
Dec.: Animal Crossing

2015 Q1: Monolith's X
2015 Q3: SMT x FE
2015 Q4: Zelda U

Edit: this is only based on known announcement. I don't know if Miyamoto's game is the NPC one or not.

I agree. Hopefully they'll announce new games other then Animal Crossing and NFC-game at E3

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
A recent post in the Direct thread raised a question in my head... What are EAD Kyoto up to?

In 2012 they released Nintendoland and NSMB U, in 2013 there was WWHD which Aonuma's team did as a small six month project, Pikmin 3 has been in development since 2008 so I can't imagine it was taking up the bulk of development manpower, 3D World was Tokyo, Wii Sports Club was Namco, Wii Party was NDCube, and this year DK is Retro, X is Monolithsoft, Hyrule Warriors is Koei, Smash is Namco. That leaves only NSLU and Wii Fit U for last year, and MK8 for May. That's like a third of their usual output, so is HD + 3DS really that hard?

Dl07

Neo Member
A recent post in the Direct thread raised a question in my head... What are EAD Kyoto up to?

In 2012 they released Nintendoland and NSMB U, in 2013 there was WWHD which Aonuma's team did as a small six month project, Pikmin 3 has been in development since 2008 so I can't imagine it was taking up the bulk of development manpower, 3D World was Tokyo, Wii Sports Club was Namco, Wii Party was NDCube, and this year DK is Retro, X is Monolithsoft, Hyrule Warriors is Koei, Smash is Namco. That leaves only NSLU and Wii Fit U for last year, and MK8 for May. That's like a third of their usual output, so is HD + 3DS really that hard?

Not necessarily. Nintendo announces things when they want to announce it. If they hadn't mentioned a new 3D Mario or HD Wind Waker we wouldn't have found out till E3. I expect we'll hear a lot more from them in the months to come.

Surely something will be revealed at E3. Nintendo tends to announce and release on a strange schedule, so I wouldn't be at all surprised to see something released sooner rather than later.

radcliff

EAD 1: Finishing MK 8

EAD 2: Wii Sports Club and probably Animal Crossing U

EAD 3: Legend of Zelda U

EAD 4: Not sure. These are the NSMB and Pikmin developers. They seem to put out a new game every 3 years so we should see something in 2015. It probably won't be another NSMB game as Nintendo usually limits those to 1 per console. I have theorized in the past that maybe it is 2.5D Metroid as the producer of this group (Hiroyuki Kimura) has worked on 2D Metroid titles in the past. This group also worked on the Big Brain Acadamy games so maybe something for the QoL platform as well.

EAD 5: Not sure, but these are the Wii Fit guys so maybe something for the QoL platform. This group just released Steel Diver:Sub Wars (Vitei). The Starfox and F Zero artist usually works with this group so maybe he is making something in one of those series. Or, maybe this is the group that is working with Miyamoto on his new IP. I would assume the group working on the new IP is either this group or EAD Tokyo 1 since the other groups seem to be accounted for.

Zalman

My input:

Mar.:
Apr.:
Jun.:
Jul.:
Nov.: X
Dec.: Super Smash Bros.

I also think there will be an unannounced 2014 game shown at E3 if not earlier.

prag16

Banned
You think Nintendo is not going to announce any games for Wii U for the next two years and still have Wii U be a thing in 2017? What a brilliant expert analysis.
Yeah if they drop support in late 2015/early 2016, they have to have the successor out late 2016 at the absolute latest.

parasky

Neo Member
My guess

Mar.: Drought
Apr.: Drought
Jun.: Drought
Jul.: Bayonetta 2
Aug.:Hyrule Warriors
Sep.: Super Smash Bros. (I already looks very far in development imo)
Nov.: Luigi's Mansion U
Dec.: X

Q1 2015: Yarn Yoshi
Q2 2015: SMT X FE
Q3 2015: Mario Party U
Q4 2015: Zelda U

2016: Announcement of Sequel hybrid portable/console system
2017: Release of hybrid console.
2018: Wii U phasing out
H1 2019: Wii U discontinuation

I don't think Nintendo has any kind of mission plan for the Wii U 2016 and beyond really.

tebunker

Banned
I would not be surprised at all to see yarn yoshi or smt v fe hit this year. I definitely think X will hit this year.

However it is February, we have no idea what the schedule really is going to look like, but you can look at the second half of last year for guidance and say we will probably see a game a month roughly from July through December on average. Some of these may not be revealed until E3 and even then I think we get dates for x. Bayonetta, yoshi and smt v fe then to fill out the last two fiscal quarters. Some of them may go in to early 2015 ala DKTF. We will also get one or two surprise type games.

New Wii U game listing: Cabela's Big Game Hunter: Pro Hunts, also on PS360:

http://www.gamefly.com/Rent-Cabela's-Big-Game-Hunter-Pro-Hunts/5007468/#axzz2tWzUqVaO

It was weird us not getting Cabela's African Adventures last year, but now we're getting this one, also I think this is the first one not on Wii.

Not too shabby from Activision so far in 2014; Transformers: Rise of the Dark Spark and now Cabela's Big Game Hunter: Pro Hunts. More than Ubisoft that's for certain. Watch_Dogs was supposed to be out last year, and we have ZERO retail announcements so far this year from them, hell Watch_Dogs was in danger of getting canceled it seemed.

tebunker

Banned
New Wii U game listing: Cabela's Big Game Hunter Pro Hunts, also on PS360:

http://www.gamefly.com/Rent-Cabela's-Big-Game-Hunter-Pro-Hunts/5007468/#axzz2tWzUqVaO

It was weird us not getting Cabela's African Adventures last year, but now we're getting this one, also I think this is the first one not on Wii.

Is it too much to ask someone to create a true to arcade version of big buck hunter? I mean just give me an hd version of the latest version game with no extra crap for like $30 and I am sold.

Roo

Not too shabby from Activision so far in 2014; Transformers: Rise of the Dark Spark and now Cabela's Big Game Hunter: Pro Hunts. More than Ubisoft that's for certain. Watch_Dogs was supposed to be out last year, and we have ZERO retail announcements so far this year from them, hell Watch_Dogs was in danger of getting canceled it seemed.

Shovelware at its finest.

Neff

There will be at least two unannounced Wii U games shown at E3, also to release this year. I'm confident of that.

Shabby is probably the exact word I would use.

So im planning on picking up a Wii-U for me and my young daughter. Are there any games other than mario for me and her too play? She is only three but she is pretty damn good with a controller, I've actually watched her beat levels in spelunky LOL.

AniHawk

So im planning on picking up a Wii-U for me and my young daughter. Are there any games other than mario for me and her too play? She is only three but she is pretty damn good with a controller, I've actually watched her beat levels in spelunky LOL.

if you don't have it on other platforms, rayman legends is great. donkey kong is coming out next week too. that might be it as far as super accessible things go until mario kart.

oh and there are also party games like game and wario, wii party u, mario and sonic olympic games, and nintendo land. i couldn't tell you the differences between them though.

if you don't have it on other platforms, rayman legends is great. donkey kong is coming out next week too. that might be it as far as super accessible things go until mario kart.

oh and there are also party games like game and wario, wii party u, mario and sonic olympic games, and nintendo land. i couldn't tell you the differences between them though.

Thanks for the reply. Wii party U sounds good and of course Nintendoland. And I completely forgot about Rayman maybe pick that up if I can find it cheap. Looks like the only bundles around are the mario luigi deluxe bundle... I assume that doesn't come with Nintendoland?

wilflare

Thanks for the reply. Wii party U sounds good and of course Nintendoland. And I completely forgot about Rayman maybe pick that up if I can find it cheap. Looks like the only bundles around are the mario luigi deluxe bundle... I assume that doesn't come with Nintendoland?

both Wii Party U and NintendoLand are awesome :D
I enjoyed both, especially NintendoLand

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

Lego City Undercover. Nintendo Land has quite a lot of content that she might like, both single player or you can play co-op like Pikmin and Zelda mini-games. Wii Party U has also a lot of minigames (and if you need a wii remote it's a great pack-in). If you like winter sports Mario&Sonic at Sochi 2014 it's a good party game.

How big of a deal is it if a game is #1 on Amazon?

It's more about trends than the actual impact on overall sales in a country.

Roo

Personally, I can highly recommend you Wii Party U. It's a solid party game and it comes with a gamepad stand and a Wii Remote so it's not totally a waste if you don't like the game.

Phamit

no, the mario bundle doesnt come with Nintendoland.

I dont know if Pikmin or Scribblenauts is to special, but i would take a look on these two games.

But there are some games on the eShop, too, like Giana Sisters or Toki Tori

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Pikmin 3 might be a little too complex for a 3 years old, but the Pikmin Adventure from Nintendo Land should be a great substitute. And it has a lot of levels and co-op.
But of course the dad can play Pikmin 3, it's a great game.

Thanks for all the info guys! Wii party U comes with a remote? sounds like that's a no brainer. Im sure I'll be able to find Nintendoland for cheap, and the lego city undercover looks interesting.. maybe i should wait to see if the Lego Movie game will be any good? I assume it's also coming too Wii-U but if not I can just grab it for ps4.

Top Bottom