• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Games 2014

Would a Wii U be a good purchase ATM? I'm currently looking at either a PS4 or a Wii U in March. Already have an XB1 which I'm petty happy with . I also never owned a wii and would love to play some of those games such as Mario galaxy and xenoblade etc.

The Wii library is very good, if you go for all the hidden gems anyway. It also looks a little nicer through the WiiU on an HDTV. The WiiU itself isn't exactly recommendable, but with the BC catalogue it's going to be worth it once there's a clearance sale or something. (And since no significant games will be released between tomorrow and June, you'll have plenty of opportunities for a cheap WiiU soon)

jmizzal

Would a Wii U be a good purchase ATM? I'm currently looking at either a PS4 or a Wii U in March. Already have an XB1 which I'm petty happy with . I also never owned a wii and would love to play some of those games such as Mario galaxy and xenoblade etc.

Unless you must have Sony exclusives you should get a WiiU with full backwards compatibility with Wii and already great exclusives you would be very happy. While being X1 and PS4 you would be looking at the same games and choosing which system to get them on instead of different games with X1 and WiiU

Rokal

I like my Wii U quite a bit, but keep in mind that the Wii stuff is still going to look pretty terrible (imo) on an HDTV. The SD visuals don't really improve through Wii U, and Wii games look as bad as they always have.

If you can tolerate the graphics, there are a few games worth checking out from the Wii backlog. Wii U games have been few and far between, but what is out there from Nintendo is pretty excellent.

Anybody else having problems with the Huluplus app? Yesterday, every time I tried to watch something, it would just get an error after a few minutes. Tonight, nothing plays at all. Just either forever loading, or loading followed by an error message :/

Roo

Anybody else having problems with the Huluplus app? Yesterday, every time I tried to watch something, it would just get an error after a few minutes. Tonight, nothing plays at all. Just either forever loading, or loading followed by an error message :/

It froze my Wii U twice yesterday.
Didn't check it today tho.

Yep, no denying it now. Buy that bad boy.

Tropical Freeze is coming out in 2 days, along with an already great back catalog of games released since the launch in 2012.

Then you have the Wii classics:

Super Mario Galaxy 1&2
Metroid Prime Trilogy
Xenoblade
Excite Truck
Skyward Sword
No More Heroes 1&2
Mad World

jmizzal

And people said Hyrule Warriors not gonna be big lol, the game is over Smash Bros on the Famitsu most wanted games list

http://www.gonintendo.com/s/222851-famitsu-this-week-s-most-wanted-games

01/01. [PS3] Persona 5 (Atlus, Winter 2014) – 562 votes
02/03. [Wii U] Mario Kart 8 (Nintendo, 05/29/14) – 549 votes
03/02. [PS4] Final Fantasy XV (Square Enix, TBA) – 470 votes
04/04. [PS3] Samurai Warriors 4 (Tecmo Koei, 03/20/14) – 371 votes
05/05. [PS4] Kingdom Hearts III (Square Enix, TBA) – 272 votes
06/15. [PS4] Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (Konami, TBA) – 257 votes
07/06. [3DS] Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth (Atlus, 06/05/14) – 244 votes
08/08. [PS3] 3rd Super Robot Wars Z Jigoku-Hen (Namco Bandai, 04/10/14) – 242 votes
09/16. [Wii U] Hyrule Warriors (Nintendo, 2014) – 236 votes
10/09. [PS3] The Evil Within (Bethesda Softworks, 2014) – 228 votes
11/27. [3DS] Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate (Capcom, Fall 2014) – 215 votes
12/07. [PS3] Tales of Zestiria (Namco Bandai, TBA) – 205 votes
13/12. [Wii U] Super Smash Bros. for Wii U (Nintendo, 2014) – 184 votes

EhoaVash

anyone know if it's possible to get a saved wii game data via sd card and make it work on wii u's Wii mode? my wii broke a year ago so never bothered to do a transfer thing. I tried downloading a saved data from that wii save site to my sd card but shit's not working in wii mode, what am i doing wrong.

Hiltz

And people said Hyrule Warriors not gonna be big lol, the game is over Smash Bros on the Famitsu most wanted games list

08/08. [PS3] 3rd Super Robot Wars Z Jigoku-Hen (Namco Bandai, 04/10/14) – 242 votes

It's kind of interesting how Nintendo decided to okay a Zelda-themed Dynasty Warriors game. The Dynasty series apparently sells pretty well for what it is, but Zelda has lost popularity in Japan, particularly on the home console, so it's kind of interesting to see how much Zelda's influence can be for this particularly repetitive series. I guess Nintendo made the right call in allowing the developer to make this spin off even if the quality of the game may be in question.

Effect

Well I ended up selling my copy of Call of Duty: Ghosts again and I think that's it with me and the series. I have TitanFall to thank as well. After playing that beta/stress test I couldn't go back to CoD and enjoy it. Ghosts was slow and boring to begin with due to how it was designed. TitanFall just highlighted it's flaws and general badness all the more. So thankfully Amazon had a brief period where they were willing to pay just under $20 for it when normally they are still offering $13.13 for it. Which is why I keep checking Amazon for the trade in prices as there are times when it simply goes high for a period and if your lucky you can catch it. I don't plan on getting TitanFall (PC) at launch but I am grateful for it finally making me just not bother with CoD. Unlike the other time where I sold my copy I didn't feel any hesitation or concern that I might regret it.

I still have Splinter Cell and want to try finishing that up. I have been enjoying that more then I ever did Ghosts. Even though they aren't the same type of game it satisfies an certain action desire I have.I rather be playing Resident Evil but no pointer controls when it should have them have stopped me from double dipping on the game as I still have my 3DS copy.

200 people voting in Famitsu are about as representative of sales success as Wonderful 101 making the NeoGAF Goty list.
Well actually, probably even less so.

Feindflug

That's easy, get a Wii U - lots of awesome Wii games you can play and of course the current Wii U exclusive library is excellent plus there are some really promising games coming to the system this year.

Just make sure to get The Wonderful 101 and Sin & Punishment: Star successor. :)

prag16

Banned
anyone know if it's possible to get a saved wii game data via sd card and make it work on wii u's Wii mode? my wii broke a year ago so never bothered to do a transfer thing. I tried downloading a saved data from that wii save site to my sd card but shit's not working in wii mode, what am i doing wrong.

What game is it? Certain games don't allow the gamesave to reside on an SD card. With homebrew, it is possible to copy saves out to SD.

My guess is the game in question doesn't allow this. It means you'd need homebrew on the Wii mode on your Wii U to bring that save data from the SD card to system memory so that the game could read it.

Effect

Don't know if this helps with the problem but with transferring just the save data (that doesn't have an online mode) you have to put in the game first in Wii Mode and create a new save. Then copy the old save over. For some reason the game doesn't detect the old save initially if it's copied over first. Still like said some saves simply won't copy if there is any online data attached to it. Mario Kart, Brawl, Call of Duty, The Last Story, etc are no goes without something like homebrew.

I never transferred my Wii data over and instead did this. Though I think it might be time to finally transfer everything and store my Wii so I don't have to many wires laying around. Has anyone else still not done the transfer?

jimi_dini

Another question:

I just noticed that the white Wii U Pro Controller is around 80EUR/45pounds (lol, they are fucking mental) at amazon and yesasia has it for 33EUR.

It is possible for me to import the controller and use it with a European console?

Still like said some saves simply won't copy if there is any online data attached to it. Mario Kart, Brawl, Call of Duty, The Last Story, etc are no goes without something like homebrew.

The Nintendo transfer utility even copies over those. BUT they will get deleted from your Wii. You could also use the Homebrew Channel to transfer saves, even copy-protected ones. I haven't tried it from Wii -> Wii U, because my Wii U hasn't arrived yet. But it definitely works when backupping those saves. I did that with my Endless Ocean 2 save.

69wpm

Another question:

I just noticed that the white Wii U Pro Controller is around 80EUR/45pounds (lol, they are fucking mental) at amazon and yesasia has it for 33EUR.

It is possible for me to import the controller and use it with a European console?.

Of course. But beware of import taxes.

prag16

Banned
wtf

at least yesasia is trustworthy. They don't sell crap. They import everything from Japan, Korea, etc. The controllers are listed to be from Japan. But nice to know. Will definitely never buy anything like that from ebay.

"Niniendo" hahaha

Fake Wii controllers were (and probably still are) all over ebay. Even 3rd party amazon sellers at times as well.

I got a couple fake chinese knockoff wii remotes one time several years back and was able to get a full refund. Buyer beware.

I am playing Deus Ex and I have to say that I really dig the GamePad augmentations...see what I did there??:p

Anyways, do we know that Straight Right is working on a WiiU project or has it been revealed to be the Transformers game?

jmizzal

I am playing Deus Ex and I have to say that I really dig the GamePad augmentations...see what I did there??:p

Anyways, do we know that Straight Right is working on a WiiU project or has it been revealed to be the Transformers game?

We dont know yet, but I do know that Deus Ex will be my next retail WiiU game if I can find it at a good price, I see the 360/PS3 versions 19.99 or less

LaNaranja

I ended up buying Lego Marvel yesterday and I have to say coop without having to split the screen is awesome. It was a real pain in the ass when I played Lego Batman 2 on PS3. Besides a few rather large glitches this game has been a ton of fun.

Just picked up Injustice on Wii U for £8.37 on a complete whim. Have I done well?
Also picked up Zombi U and Resident Evil Revelations for 15 quid each.

Your joking right? Someone please tell me he's joking.

Famitsu most wanted lists have no relevance to sales. Its such a small poll even compared to the number of people that read famitsu let alone the gaming population.
I mean the fact that The Last Remnant PS3 is still there goes to show how irrelevant that list is.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Just picked up Injustice on Wii U for £8.37 on a complete whim. Have I done well?
Also picked up Zombi U and Resident Evil Revelations for 15 quid each.

Injustice story mode is simply great, imho.
Zombi U is the best Wii U game out there, so...Great choice!

Weng

Their first party stuff looks pretty cool.

Releasing those this year, and announching a new 3D full fledged Mario game at E3 will win back a lot of hearts.
Maybe you missed it but they released a new 3D full fledged Mario game called Super Mario 3D World last November and it was quite well received. I don't think it'd make much sense to announce another one instead of releasing something that's currently not available on Wii U (a new IP, Metroid, Star Fox, F-Zero, Animal Crossing...). Another Mario platformer would just invite more people screming "not another mario game" "not another platformer" "not another rehash".

Maxrunner

Just started playing Guacamelee on PC and pple talked about Flappy bird ripping off Mario...i mean there's statues in the game called Chozo....why this games is not on wiiu astounds me.....its basically calling all Nintendo fans to play it but, missing the point entirely by not being on a Nintendo platform on the first place...

Sendou

Just started playing Guacamelee on PC and pple talked about Flappy bird ripping off Mario...i mean there's statues in the game called Chozo....why this games is not on wiiu astounds me.....its basically calling Nintendo fans to play it but missing the entirely the fact that it needs to be on a Nintendo platform....

As far as I know Sony paid money (to some extent) to make it happen. I bet not releasing it on competing consoles was in the contract.

VanWinkle

Its coming to Xbox one and ps4...doesn't make sense....

Sony helped fund the game. It was released to PS3 and Vita and it was exclusive to that for many months before moving to Steam and now PS4 and XB1. Being a Pub Fund game doesn't require that you are exclusive to Sony platforms, but it does bring some level of timed exclusivity.

But yeah, they could bring it to a Nintendo platform now. They really should because I think Nintendo fans would love the game. It's amazing.

Koren

i mean there's statues in the game called Chozo....why this games is not on wiiu astounds me.....its basically calling all Nintendo fans to play it but, missing the point entirely by not being on a Nintendo platform on the first place...
Chōzo in japanese means "carved statue" or something like this, if I'm not mistaken. The "Chozo" in Metroid is one of the many translation errors in the game (such as "varia suit" which is a mistranslation for "barrier suit"... both are the same in japanese).

So it depends who developed the game, but it may be a coincidence.

Edit: BTW, I tried flappy birds... is it just me or, besides the Mario graphics, it's also mostly a ripoff of Balloon Fight?

wtfat least yesasia is trustworthy. They don't sell crap. They import everything from Japan, Korea, etc. The controllers are listed to be from Japan. But nice to know.
I remember a aviation control tower here having problems with the PC motherboards of their radars. It was rebooting under heavy use.

The motherboards were fakes, chinese copies. Of course, they were bought from retailers with top notch reputation.

I've already seen fake memory cards sold by the most known brick'n mortar retailer chain here.

My sister has bought a bag from a well-known brand in a shop which has a worldwide reputation. She had a little issue with it. Someone from the bag's brand said it seems to be a legit bag, except that they never produced the color combination. They don't know whether it's a (perfect) copy or a production error.

I know someone that bought a GBA game which was actually a copy from Amazon (not an amazon seller, from Amazon itself).

I'm pretty sure that you can buy fake products everywhere. Retailers buys from other people, and the chain is long enough for problems to arise. Most of the time, you should be safe with shops with such a good reputation like yesasia, but you should still check, just in case.

Anth0ny

Wii Sports Club bundle coming to Japan March 27th

http://www.gonintendo.com/s/223028-japan-getting-wii-sports-club-wii-u-bundle

I thought it would come after all sports were out, I wonder if when it will come to the west

pi91oAN.jpg

QgoQXep.jpg

The circle is now complete. Instead of bundling it with the game that was supposed to be the new Wii Sports, they're literally bundling it with Wii Sports. And it's white! And it comes with a Wii Remote? lol

Sendou

pi91oAN.jpg

QgoQXep.jpg

The circle is now complete. Instead of bundling it with the game that was supposed to be the new Wii Sports, they're literally bundling it with Wii Sports. And it's white! And it comes with a Wii Remote? lol

oh noes

But really I guess the answer you may be looking for is that neither of those bundles were (or are going to be) released worldwide.

Chōzo in japanese means "carved statue" or something like this, if I'm not mistaken. The "Chozo" in Metroid is one of the many translation errors in the game (such as "varia suit" which is a mistranslation for "barrier suit"... both are the same in japanese).

So it depends who developed the game, but it may be a coincidence.

It's no coincidence:

Guacamelee-3-620x.jpg

69wpm

Just read an interesting rumour from a guy that is banned here, so take it with a grain of salt and don't open a topic about it. According to his source, Mario Kart 8 was a December '13 title and got delayed last minute because Nintendo found a game crashing bug. They couldn't fix it until February this year... the same time they announced the final release date.

Sendou

Just read an interesting rumour from a guy that is banned here, so take it with a grain of salt and don't open a topic about it. According to his source, Mario Kart 8 was a December '13 title and got delayed last minute because Nintendo found a game crashing bug. They couldn't fix it until February this year... the same time they announced the final release date.

Sounds like such a bullshit "rumor" I don't even have words to express how I feel. Who is this from?

Remember that Spring 2014 date was announced in June 2013. If they found a game breaking bug right before that it would have taken them ~9 months to fix it? Sounds right? Not to me.

Also DKC:TF was supposed to be December 2013 title before it was delayed to help the drought right now. You think they would have scheluded two of their big hitters to the same month knowing that they have little else after?

Riki

The game has been a Spring 2014 title forever now.

Some Nobody

Sounds like such a bullshit "rumor" I don't even have words to express how I feel. Who is this from?

Remember that Spring 2014 date was announced in June 2013. If they found a game breaking bug right before that it would have taken them ~9 months to fix it? Sounds right? Not to me.

Also DKC:TF was supposed to be December 2013 title before it was delayed to help the drought right now. You think they would have scheluded two of their big hitters to the same month knowing that they have little else after?

Considering DKC:TF was supposed to hit in November at first with Mario being a December title, technically they already did, they just changed their minds.

Sendou

Considering DKC:TF was supposed to hit in November at first with Mario being a December title, technically they already did, they just changed their minds.

Yeah then they changed places and DKC:TF got delayed even further after that. They never were scheluded for the same month as far as I know. Unless you meant something else?

jmizzal

I dont believe that it was Dec 13, maybe it was earlier in 2014 but then moved to May after finding the bug, they never once said or hinted at it coming out in 2013. I could buy them moving DK to Feb 2014 after MK8 had to slip deeper in the year.

Top Bottom