• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Games 2014

Guys, I got a 3DS but I didn't set up a account yet, If I do it'll be the account I'll be using in the WiiU?

Edit: Sorry guys, I should have edited my last post with the question.

takriel

I pray to the three goddesses that the ZeldaU reveal/trailer will be every bit as epic if not more so, than TPs trailer was back in the day. Also some kind of Mon Hun 4 WiiU news would be epic...
Judging by what they've done with Skyward Sword and A Link Between Worlds, the first trailer we'll see will only show off the gameplay and nothing more. I really hope I'm wrong here and they do something epic, but the last two game reveals were very underwhelming...

Hindl

I already finished Zombie U, great game, Pikmin 3 I'll probably give it a try but I never have played the series before xD

Haha it was my first introduction too man. It's great and you won't be missing too much from not having played the others first. It's not the most story heavy game (although you should go back and play them, they're also great)

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
No Nintendo Direct announcement :(

It seems like Nintendo has made some change of plans regarding how they want to reveal 2014 games. It looks like even developers like Shinen (among others) aren't quite sure how their games are going to be revealed, going by how FAST is being handled. I seem to remember a few other games suffering from this uncertainty, which leads me to believe Nintendo had a Direct planned but decided to do something different at the last minute.

jmizzal

No ND in Jan no ND in Feb, when we had them last year in both Jan and Feb, i'm starting to feel like Nintendo doesnt even care anymore about the people who brought their system and are gonna let it have nothing after DKCTF until May with Mario Kart 8.

Even Sony had some spring announcements for Vita, at least Nintendo could use this down time to build the VC. They should be releasing N64, GBA and NDS games on the VC over this next few months to go with the indie games. But it looks like we will get 1 indie game and 1 VC NES or SNES game a week for the next 4 months and nothing at retail, and i'll stand by that until to show me something or say something about what they are doing.

cacildo

Maybe nintendo gave up on directs

And its funny, because nintendo has something big to announce at any moment now: DS vc games

Sendou

No. They have been going on and on about how good they have been to them.

Maybe they have nothing to announce you know? Nothing to promote? They had nothing in January and Bravely Default in one region is a small thing.

kitsuneyo

Could really use a Wii U Direct to restore some hope in the system.

A Bayo 2 release date would be nice.

at least Nintendo could use this down time to build the VC.

The VC stuff continues to completely baffle me. They make a new Dr Luigi game and then shortly after release... VC Dr Mario? Who's going to want that right now? The randomness and terrible game selections are just beyond belief. I would LOVE to see sales numbers for crap like NES Golf.

jmizzal

No. They have been going on and on about how good they have been to them.

Maybe they have nothing to announce you know? Nothing to promote? They had nothing in January and Bravely Default in one region is a small thing.

They need to stop waiting until a month before a game comes out to show things off, that havent worked so why do they keep doing it.

They have plenty of up coming games but they rather sit on it for months and months, they said over a year ago on GBA games on WiiU, we havent seen anything, they said they solved the issue for DS games on WiiU and they show one screen shot, Iwata says they want to improve in the VC release but they release one game a week, oh I guess they only meant Japan :/.

Effect

Said before but if they don't have anything to announce and DKCR:TF is the only thing coming out I don't believe will be a Nintendo Direct. They likely have nothing to announce. Mario Kart and Smash are far away. Hyrule Warriors looked very early. X likely isn't coming anytime soon. It also like Zelda will likely be E3 blowouts. Same goes for the NFC content. 3DS news might very well be at E3 as well. There isn't anything likely to come out soon right? They just released Dr. Luigi and NES Remix on the eShop. So I doubt they'd put something like that again so soon. As far virtual console goes...bahahahaha. As far as Bayonetta 2 goes. I don't expect them to do anything to push it. Wonderful 101 got a Direct I think because they thought they could market that to kids due to the superhero angle but then did nothing to actually advertise it outside of that to reach the kids effectively. I doubt Bayonetta 2 even gets a Direct dedicated to it.

The Quality of Life focus likely won't be revealed in a Nintendo Direct as it isn't aimed at the gaming crowd for the most part. That might be a press event near E3 or late in the year so they can get the attention of newspapers, TV stations, etc.

There are no third party games to focus on either but it's not like they would even do that if there were games ( who knows what was canceled in recent months as well) as they've refused to do that before when it could have helped. Unless they're working on Nintendo IP ala Next Level Games they're almost all (western and Japanese) working on games 3DS (which Nintendo still won't spotlight unless they themselves are published and even then), PS Vita, and cross over games for the PS3/360 and PS4/XBO. They won't focus an entire Direct on eShop titles, especially when so many don't have dates, don't really exist and are just promises, and can't be used as a retail release to push the Wii U's sales.

System update information? Not likely as what they deemed important on that front, by talking about it in the investor meeting, was them making it so you can launch into a game faster. Trying to address a problem no one has. That's not until the summer anyway. If they were going to do a system update that added the full account system that would have been talked about then instead of what they did talk about it. They also would have hinted at coming games over the next few months and didn't I believe.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
No ND in Jan no ND in Feb, when we had them last year in both Jan and Feb, i'm starting to feel like Nintendo doesnt even care anymore about the people who brought their system and are gonna let it have nothing after DKCTF until May with Mario Kart 8.

Even Sony had some spring announcements for Vita, at least Nintendo could use this down time to build the VC. They should be releasing N64, GBA and NDS games on the VC over this next few months to go with the indie games. But it looks like we will get 1 indie game and 1 VC NES or SNES game a week for the next 4 months and nothing at retail, and i'll stand by that until to show me something or say something about what they are doing.

Yeah, the company that sells video games to earn a profit doesn't care anymore about the people that help them make money.

They'll have a Nintendo Direct when they'll have a Nintendo Direct. There was never a strict schedule for them to have them, when Nintendo has something to share with it's audience they'll share it. It might be this month, or March, or not until E3.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
They need to stop waiting until a month before a game comes out to show things off, that havent worked so why do they keep doing it.

They have plenty of up coming games but they rather sit on it for months and months, they said over a year ago on GBA games on WiiU, we havent seen anything, they said they solved the issue for DS games on WiiU and they show one screen shot, Iwata says they want to improve in the VC release but they release one game a week, oh I guess they only meant Japan :/.

This is exactly my stance on this. They wait and wait until close to the release and then they show too much of that respective game, while keeping the rest in dark. They should announce some estimated dates for the rest of the year, even if they are not sure. Anyhow we leave in an age were the games are delayed (GTA V, WD, Driveclub, The Crew, The Division). Is better to announce something and delay than not announce. They need to keep their upcoming games "warm" and show some new footage for the already announced one. I mean look at Sony, they keep throwing bits and pieces about Driveclub , Infamous and Order. They don't have that many things coming until Fall but they know how to sell it. Nintendo is really underselling their 2014 line-up by a big margin by keeping this secrecy policy in place.

kitsuneyo

Right now they just need to reassure us Wii U owners that more games are in the pipeline. Just give us names or logos if necessary.

jmizzal

This is exactly my stance on this. They wait and wait until close to the release and then they show too much of that respective game, while keeping the rest in dark. They should announce some estimated dates for the rest of the year, even if they are not sure. Anyhow we leave in an age were the games are delayed (GTA V, WD, Driveclub, The Crew, The Division). Is better to announce something and delay than not announce. They need to keep their upcoming games "warm" and show some new footage for the already announced one. I mean look at Sony, they keep throwing bits and pieces about Driveclub , Infamous and Order. They don't have that many things coming until Fall but they know how to sell it. Nintendo is really underselling their 2014 line-up by a big margin by keeping this secrecy policy in place.

Yup, I understand saving Zelda and NFC games for E3 since we havent seen those, but at least give us new footage and info for X, Bayo 2, Mario Kart 8 and Hyrule Warriors, if it wasnt for the Miiverse updates we wouldnt get anything on Smash Bros.

Effect

In addition to not knowing how to properly sell their upcoming games or how to build up interest, once a game comes out they seem to just ignore it after the initial week. They could and should still be pushing games like Lego City Undercover, Pikmin 3, Super Mario 3D World, Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD. Or third party games like ZombiU, Call of Duty (focussing on pointer control. Hell have some good gameplay videos from Wiimote users on their youtube channel), Disney Infinity, Just Dance, and Skylanders. )Showing the quality games that Wii U actually does have at this very moment. Showing why you should pick up the system at this very moment and explaining games can be bought retail or on the eShop if they can't be found in stores. Montages of them in TV ads showing off the system itself and it's features. They don't have the luxury of not constantly pushing their product with it doing so badly.

Albo

Ninty have had a tendency lately of underwhelming game reveals showing little of the game, then showing very little until a month before the game's release, where they show the some of the best parts of the game off that sell it to people (SM3DW, DKCTF, WOW 101, WW HD etc).

Building up hype gradually over months is better at keeping people's interest imo, especially as people tend to judge a game on their first impressions of it in the initial reveal. Releasing very little in between even after an impressive reveal(for example like with watch dogs) loses people's interest. Smash bros u/3ds is a good example of them at least drip-feeding small reveals between the occasional bigger monthly reveals to maintain hype. More of that would be welcome.

Hiltz

Nintendo's reached its development capacity with supporting two platforms simultaneously, but even with some 2nd party publishing deals, it has obviously been problematic when there's so little third party support to fill in the rest of the gaps for Wii U (though it's kind of pointless anyway when so few Wii U owners buy ports). However, I don't see much of a point in a new Nintendo Direct right now. Nintendo has shown enough between December and January's financial speech to hold us over until at least March. Nintendo is committed to Wii U, and if you only have a Wii U, then your going to suffer through software droughts period. With that said, if Iwata's words can be believed, then momentum will pick up shortly after Mario Kart 8's release. It is what it is.We'll get some more Directs before E3 anyway.

cacildo

Ninty have had a tendency lately of underwhelming game reveals showing little of the game, then showing very little until a month before the game's release, where they show the some of the best parts of the game off that sell it to people (SM3DW, DKCTF, WOW 101, WW HD etc).

Never forgetting Pikmin 3, the worst offender

In fact they STILL spend direct time talking about Pikmin 3

jmizzal

Nintendo's reached its development capacity with supporting two platforms simultaneously, but even with some 2nd party publishing deals, it has obviously been problematic when there's so little third party support to fill in the rest of the gaps for Wii U (though it's kind of pointless anyway when so few Wii U owners buy ports). However, I don't see much of a point in a new Nintendo Direct right now. Nintendo has shown enough between December and January's financial speech to hold us over until at least March. Nintendo is committed to Wii U, and if you only have a Wii U, then your going to suffer through software droughts period. With that said, if Iwata's words can be believed, then momentum will pick up shortly after Mario Kart 8's release. It is what it is.We'll get some more Directs before E3 anyway.

What have they shown between Dec and Jan? DKCTF, NES remix, Dr. Luigi and a min of Hyrule Warriors with no info, as far as WiiU games and gave a month on Mario Kart with no trailer or real info. And the finical stuff is not for gamers so that stuff doesnt even count.

I mean they been showing DK for 3 months i'm really tired of seeing it, heck SM3DW didnt get that much coverage, which proves to me DK was done and ready to come in Dec and was pushed back since they had nothing else ready.

And its funny, because nintendo has something big to announce at any moment now: DS vc games
lol. It does kind of feel like that. We're into the Wii U's second year and typically that's when the software lineup just gets awesome. But it's about on par, or dare I say, worse than last years number of releases (judging that not all the project software will make).

Guys, I'm really excited for DKC TF. I'm hoping this will be a great start to a hopefully great year for Wii U.

Yeah, me too. I still have so much to play from last year.

But I also understand the people that are anxious about news for this year. Don´t understand why Nintendo is so secretive, that is not paying off, unless they want to do a Major blowout.

Albo

Seems to me they have plenty on the software side to cover in upcoming directs. Off the top of my head, DK, Yoshi's NI, kirby TD, Sonic Boom, MK8, Hyrule Warriors, Smash, Bayo 2, maybe X and potentially Majoras Mask 3DS reveal. Save Zelda U, SMT X FE, Miyamoto new IP, Yarn Yoshi, NFC game and maybe pokken fighters for E3 as well as games we don't know about (if any, lol). I'm sure there's some I forgot to mention but that's quite a lot to cover on the exclusive first party software front.

Having not played WW HD, Pikmin 3, Deus Ex or SM3DW yet, I'm all set on the wii u front for months to come anyway.

What have they shown between Dec and Jan? DKCTF, NES remix, Dr. Luigi and a min of Hyrule Warriors with no info, as far as WiiU games and gave a month on Mario Kart with no trailer or real info. And the finical stuff is not for gamers so that stuff doesnt even count.

I mean they been showing DK for 3 months i'm really tired of seeing it, heck SM3DW didnt get that much coverage, which proves to me DK was done and ready to come in Dec and was pushed back since they had nothing else ready.

Just imagine they would have released the game in December.
No games until May, lol.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
I do think the secrecy is hurting Nintendo and the Wii U. Just having some titles with even some vague release quarters would be better than the nothingness that's there now. Also, like people said, there's nothing wrong with promoting their older games, or the recent holiday third party games.... Anyways, I'm happy the Smash Bros. drip feed is there, although I feel I'm going to know everything about the game before it releases again =(.

freakzilla3000

WE ARE FINALLY GETTING OUR NINTENDO DIRECT!!!

Now that that is out of my system, I hope they at least tease some of their "big guns" such as Zelda, Metriod or something else.... Just a nice tease at the end or something to get us talking.

I expect a Mario Kart 8 release date, DKCTF, hopefully a nice little surprise and some VC news. All in all I hope Nintendo starts the year off with a bang.

We will see!

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I'd be ok with no new game announcements tomorrow, if they'll set firm dates for some (not only MK) of the already known games

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
I more want release dates of some sort. A firm release date for Mario Kart, and a better idea confirming which titles are definitely in 2014. Also some further looks into upcoming games. DKC has already been overexposed, so I don't really need more news about that, although I'm sure they'll at least mention it at the very least.

Top Bottom