• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Games 2014

Some Nobody

Yeah then they changed places and DKC:TF got delayed even further after that. They never were scheluded for the same month as far as I know. Unless you meant something else?

They were never scheduled for the same month, but they were back-to-back (which to me is close enough) until Nintendo came to their senses and realized their next game was due in May. It's not quite precedent, but it's close.

69wpm

I know MK8 has been a 2014 title since it's announcement, don't shoot the messenger.. Let's speculate what might have happened:

Nintendo decided to release MK8 in Spring 2014, this is before they realised the Wii U wasn't going to be the success they wanted. In a normal scenario DK and SM3DW would end the great year of 2013.

Nintendo realises after the E3 (MK8 had already been announced as a Spring 2014 title) that the Wii U needs a system seller and DK and Mario might not be it. They grow the MK team (maybe Retro helping out meaning DK gets pushed back) so they can release MK8 in December instead of DK to have that huge system seller for Christmas.

In the middle of the development they stumble on the a game crashing/breaking bug and realise they won't be able to fix it so they pull SM3DW from December to November and hope it can generate enough momentum into February when DK releases. In February the MK8 bug gets finally fixed but the game won't be ready until May.

What seems weird to me is the fact that Nintendo wanted to release SM3DW and DKCTF one month apart at the end of 2013, meaning they had to have a game release in early 2014. Either Mario Kart was scheduled a lot earlier or another game got delayed, therefore they delayed DK into 2014 to fill it's place.

As I said, everything is highly unlikely, but why not think about what might have happened.

Just read an interesting rumour from a guy that is banned here, so take it with a grain of salt and don't open a topic about it. According to his source, Mario Kart 8 was a December '13 title and got delayed last minute because Nintendo found a game crashing bug. They couldn't fix it until February this year... the same time they announced the final release date.

If it was delayed 'last minute' why hadn't it been announced as a December title previously?

DKCTF was previously meant to be December. So Nintendo planned to release DKCTF and MK8 in the same month? I don't buy it.

69wpm

If it was delayed 'last minute' why hadn't it been announced as a December title previously?

The last minute was an error on my part, in the original tweet it says just "they found a game crashing bug". I misread that.

DKCTF was previously meant to be December. So Nintendo planned to release DKCTF and MK8 in the same month? I don't buy it.

No, DKCTF would've been pushed to 2014 anyway in favour of MK8 releasing in December. That would generate enough momentum through the holidays and in January when Nintendo sells less hardware anyway. DK could've been released in March or April when things cooled down.

Effect

With Darksiders 2 returning to the eShop does anyone know what the price is going to be. Can't view any press release for it or site covering it at the moment. If it's priced down I might just buy it instead of trying to track down a used copy. Especially since new copies are still over $40 I think and used are close to $30 from what I've seen.

I wish Tekken's price would be reduced as well. I really want to take advantage of the digital promotion more but many of these launch games haven't decreased in price.

tebunker

Banned
With Darksiders 2 returning to the eShop does anyone know what the price is going to be. Can't view any press release for it or site covering it at the moment. If it's priced down I might just buy it instead of trying to track down a used copy. Especially since new copies are still over $40 I think and used are close to $30 from what I've seen.

I wish Tekken's price would be reduced as well. I really want to take advantage of the digital promotion more but many of these launch games haven't decreased in price.

I gave up waiting and bought Tekken for $13 new at GameStop. Even bought warriors Orochi for the same. Figured why not?

m0t0k1

Not gonna lie outside of warriors weird technical issues it's a lot if fun. Tekken hands me my butt but who can complain for so little out of pocket?

Yeah i got my wii u about in june last year and payed for a premium wii u + tekken €230 completly new and soon after that warrior orochi 3 hyper for €18 in fact i own about 15 games for the wii u and not a single one have i payed more then €35 and that was donkey kong the rest all under €30 like 25 for mario 3d world 29 for pikmin and 25 for w101 truly one of the positive points about a bombing system. But still those 2 games are my favorites i dont mind technical issues survived the ps1 and n64 days withouth problems so a bit of pop in and stuff doesnt bother me. I am really big on couch multiplayer i play at least 3 times a week with somebody close multiplayer. (friends that live close by and both my brother and sister play games) #luckyfew. And warriors uses the off tv play amazing you can do co-op with one on the wiipad and one on the tv. Also happy with tekken. Tekken ball sessions always brings the laughs and the tears you should really try that with a couple of people some drinks, food and bikini's :D

Mithos

Gold Member
With Darksiders 2 returning to the eShop does anyone know what the price is going to be.

€40 going up to €50 a week or two later it's looking in Europe at least, funny thing is you can get the physical version in stores for around €10-15.

Chozolore

€40 going up to €50 a week or two later it's looking in Europe at least, funny thing is you can get the physical version in stores for around €10-15.

I got 1 and 2 on steam for a small fraction of that. splinter cel blacklist is reduced now, so with my premium coupons in hand i'm torn between dk:tf, loz:ww or ss:bl

someone make my mind up for me, probably will not play any but in need of retail therapy. my backlog is gargantuan.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Just read an interesting rumour from a guy that is banned here, so take it with a grain of salt and don't open a topic about it. According to his source, Mario Kart 8 was a December '13 title and got delayed last minute because Nintendo found a game crashing bug. They couldn't fix it until February this year... the same time they announced the final release date.

Um knowing software development that's probably false. You don't suddenly discover you have a game crashing/breaking bug that's fundamental to your design and takes months and months to fix. If you do discover something, it's either rare or was introduced by a recent check-in. Thus you either workaround a game crash or temporarily remove the feature that introduced it until the bug is fixed. If a single bug was to delay a game's release by 6 months, nothing would get released.

The reason that projects get delayed is because developers underestimate the amount of time that features are going to take. It is possible they realized they had a fundamental flaw in their design, and thus needed to refactor/do some major changes in order to accommodate some new feature or whatever. It is also possible they had GENERAL stability issues for the game because of a design.

tldr; There were probably some complications leading to the delay, but it's very very unlikely that it was "a single game-crashing bug" that caused it.

Anth0ny

Now that X is all but confirmed to be a 2015 title in North America, I wonder what they'll have ready for this holiday besides Smash 4 =/

squid

Surely there'll be at least one or two unannounced games for later this year? E3 should give us something to look forward to.

Intelligent Systems might be ready to show off a new game. Maybe a new Paper Mario for WiiU? (I can dream...)

Or maybe we'll get Animal Crossing? Or whatever Miyamoto has been working on?

Anth0ny

I'm thinking:

September: Bayo 2
October: Hyrule Warriors
November: Smash 4

and like 2 gba virtual console games and nes remix 3

I'm thinking:

September: Bayo 2
October: Hyrule Warriors
November: Smash 4

and like 2 gba virtual console games and nes remix 3
Sounds about right.

mBEbGgn.png

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Surely we have another HD Remake coming to fill in some of the space, right?

Wow, folks are pessimistic o_O. So Iwata's plan to "have momentum after Mario Kart" is to not release any games until August/September? Lol I doubt it's THAT bad, but I guess we can be surprised by anything if we're super pessimistic xD. Also, why did the "summer" Hyrule Warriors turn into October?

Effect

Ah I see Darksiders 2 was added back to the EU eShop. Finally able to read the release. I thought it was gone from the US one as well and coming back Nevermind. :) Still wish the price was lower though.

Wow, folks are pessimistic o_O. So Iwata's plan to "have momentum after Mario Kart" is to not release any games until August/September? Lol I doubt it's THAT bad, but I guess we can be surprised by anything if we're super pessimistic xD. Also, why did the "summer" Hyrule Warriors turn into October?

The momentum after Mario Kart is Mario Kart itself until September.

Realists are pessimists now? No one gives a shit about Iwata's plans anymore, considering that his launch window plan ended in actually no game at all in the launch window and not repeating the mistake this year turned into 2 games released from Jan to June. Calling wishful thinking suits these predictions more at this point, lol.

Zok310

Banned
Just picked up[ a WiiU. Have not spent money on a nintendo console since the N64.
The WiiU has some great software, having a blast with 3D World.
As of now this is perfect for those PS4 droughts.

Well then, add Fire emblem x SMT and Yarn Yoshi for 2015

It's laughable how last year's January Direct (aka the last time Nintendo generated positive WiiU news) was actually a preview of the system's whole life. Excluding some eshop titles that will still come and I guess that ,,NFC game''. Although I'm sure some Mario related cash grab also still awaits somewhere. A disastrous console all around that makes Sony's early PS3 mistakes look mild in comparison and puts into question whether a good Nintendo home console will even come out again under the current leadership. Especially now that resources are wasted on that QOL nonsense.

jmizzal

Realists are pessimists now? No one gives a shit about Iwata's plans anymore, considering that his launch window plan ended in actually no game at all in the launch window and not repeating the mistake this year turned into 2 games released from Jan to June. Calling wishful thinking suits these predictions more at this point, lol.

Well to be fair they have had at least one retail release every month since June last year up until Feb this year after to Iwata said they will release a game every month to keep releases up. I think the only month in NA was Dec without a retail release.

Now they say Mario Kart will start back momentum i'm pretty sure they will do the same this year.

Urko

Neo Member
Realist here. Here's how I see it:

Jan - Wii Fit U
Feb - DKC Tropical Freeze
March - Nothing
April - NES Remix 2
May - Mario Kart 8
June - Nothing
July - NES Remix 3
August - NES Remix 4
September - Sonic Boom
October - NES Remix 5
November - Hyrule Warriors
December -

Q1 - Yoshi's Baby Yarn

Q2 - Nothing

Q3 - Smash Bros Wii U, NES Remix 6

Q4 - Yarn Metroid

Q1 - Virtual Console Blowout (5 GBA games released)

Q2 - Bayonetta 2

Q3 - NES Remix 7

Q4 - X, NES Remix Ultimate Retail Collection

Q1 - This is the one I am still trying to figure out. Maybe Wii Sports 3.

Q2 - New New Super Mario Bros U2

Q3 - Wii U phased out, Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem revealed to be vaporware. Zelda U moved to QOL platform.

Muzy72

Banned
Was that rumor from AceBandage? Because he loves pretending that he's an insider.

Also it's hard to be optimistic about the upcoming lineup after the last 2 years or so. I remember when I was certain Pikmin and TW101 would be out by March. :(

jmizzal

i think bayonetta 2 is this calendar or fiscal year. it was playable last year. no way it sees e3 more than twice.

Bayonetta 2 was listed on their blog as a Summer title and its already being recorded in English so its def be out no later then Sept

tebunker

Banned
Now that X is all but confirmed to be a 2015 title in North America, I wonder what they'll have ready for this holiday besides Smash 4 =/
Um link? Seriously all but confirmed means nothing.

I hare the ASSumptions that get thrown around here like truths

Realist here. Here's how I see it:

Jan - Wii Fit U
Feb - DKC Tropical Freeze
March - Nothing
April - NES Remix 2
May - Mario Kart 8
June - Nothing
July - NES Remix 3
August - NES Remix 4
September - Sonic Boom
October - NES Remix 5
November - Hyrule Warriors
December -

Q1 - Yoshi's Baby Yarn

Q2 - Nothing

Q3 - Smash Bros Wii U, NES Remix 6

Q4 - Yarn Metroid

Q1 - Virtual Console Blowout (5 GBA games released)

Q2 - Bayonetta 2

Q3 - NES Remix 7

Q4 - X, NES Remix Ultimate Retail Collection

Q1 - This is the one I am still trying to figure out. Maybe Wii Sports 3.

Q2 - New New Super Mario Bros U2

Q3 - Wii U phased out, Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem revealed to be vaporware. Zelda U moved to QOL platform.

lol at wii u retail games in 2016

starmud

im actually questioning if wiiu will see animal crossing, unless its at the end of its life as an easy cash grab to get the faithful to buy a box >___> it feels like nintey might have different plans for the franchise and where it needs to go to evolve... especially given the audience for the title.

though part of me wants to believe it will be a 2014 christmas title/bundle in japan... /not so much

jholmes

I'm not sure if I missed something, but why is X "all but confirmed" as 2015? Because there was no date or title on the Nintendo Direct?

Effect

I'm not sure if I missed something, but why is X "all but confirmed" as 2015? Because there was no date or title on the Nintendo Direct?

Yeah that's confusing me as well.

I guess one could assume Nintendo will have to push some titles back simply due to having a lack of them to cut down on the months without games. Especially once third party retail support finally drys up or it already has since I don't believe at all Watch_Dogs is releasing on the Wii U at all in the end. X might be one of the games pushed back outside of Japan in that situation. The same way Donkey Kong was pushed back to now when it was originally slated for December of 2013. That's not confirmation it's being pushed back though. That's speculation at best. There could be more first/second party titles coming that could fill out 2015.

However if nothing like that shows up at E3 then I would join the club with thinking X is pushed to sometime in 2015 and there will continue to be large gaps with no retail titles being released.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
The Japanese direct had a 2014 date but the U.S. had no date.

Yeh, that.That's at least something to practically be pointing to.

Why has this essentially become a troll thread? 0% of what Nintendo said will be kept past Mario Kart 8 apparently. We don't even seem to update the OP anymore either when games actually get dates either =( (although that's just a side note, I guess Smoker is busy). Apparently 0 games will come out except some of the big ones being announced. I'm pessimistic for sure, but this is kind of ridiculous. Why would Nintendo even mention "momentum after Mario Kart 8" if they have nothing? They might as well not mention it. My guess at the titles this year:

Lego Hobbit - 4/8 US, 4/11 EU
Mario Kart 8 - 5/30 Worldwide

NFC Game, Smash, Bayonetta and Hyrule Warriors this year for first party (maybe NFC = Animal Crossing?) - Smash = holiday game since NONE of the other titles make much sense for the holidays

Third Parties: Sonic Boom, some holiday Lego game, Just Dance 2015, Disney Infinity 2, next Skylanders, that Transformers game, and other licensed stuff here and there, especially anything geared towards kids (while the 360 has picked up some of that market, it's unproven whether the XB1 or PS4 will do well w/ that market).

Anth0ny

Um link? Seriously all but confirmed means nothing.

I hare the ASSumptions that get thrown around here like truths

North American Nintendo Direct mentioned a release date/year after EVERY game except X.

Japanese Nintendo Direct mentioned 2014 after X.

If it was intended for 2014, they'd say 2014. I hope I'm wrong, but it seems pretty clear.

Why would Nintendo even mention "momentum after Mario Kart 8" if they have nothing? They might as well not mention it.

Iwata's idea of momentum is one HUGE game. Like he always says, one game can change everything!
no it really can't
NSMB U was supposed to create momentum after launch. 3D World was supposed to create momentum. Now it's Kart. Next it'll be Smash.

This is Iwata's Nintendo. He is going to talk bullshit at every Nintendo Direct, not come anywhere close to delivering on his word, then apologize at the next shareholders meeting. I can see it now:

"Mario Kart 8 was unable to create the momentum we were expecting for our Wii U platform. This was due to longer than expected development times and lack of software released on the Wii U. We intend to create momentum for the platform going into the calendar year 2015 with Super Smash Bros, New Super Mario Bros U 2 and Super Mario 3D World 2. Please understand."

Top Bottom