• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Games 2014

69wpm

Was that rumor from AceBandage? Because he loves pretending that he's an insider.

Also it's hard to be optimistic about the upcoming lineup after the last 2 years or so. I remember when I was certain Pikmin and TW101 would be out by March. :(

If you refer to the MK8 one, no. It was from a guy who got banned for tweeting a provoking picture after the famous quote of an EA Sports Engineer (that the Wii U is crap).

North American Nintendo Direct mentioned a release date/year after EVERY game except X.

Japanese Nintendo Direct mentioned 2014 after X.

If it was intended for 2014, they'd say 2014. I hope I'm wrong, but it seems pretty clear.
"
It's not something official, juste a little word by Iwata, if it was something official there is no reason to talk about this game in the european and american direct + We would have had in the japanese direct, a red stripe with the "coming in 2014" but written in japanese.

Maybe it will release worldwide but they haven't a date at now.

Originally Posted by Muzy72

Was that rumor from AceBandage? Because he loves pretending that he's an insider.
(

AceBandage was right About Dk on wiiu, ""people will bleed", blood for the red ties of donkey kong lol.

Sendou

If you refer to the MK8 one, no. It was from a guy who got banned for tweeting a provoking picture after the famous quote of an EA Sports Engineer (that the Wii U is crap).

Tilmen?

:/

And source is someone whose name doesn't even return results when Googled.

(...) 0% of what Nintendo said will be kept past Mario Kart 8 apparently. We don't even seem to update the OP anymore either when games actually get dates either =( (although that's just a side note, I guess Smoker is busy).
(...)
I'm sorry, I'm quite busy currently (final phase of a project), I'll update the thread in the next few days. :)

Highwind

X better come this year. If they push it back I don't even know what I'll do to be honest.

I know exactly what to expect from Smash Bros and Kart. X is something you don't see often from Nintendo and after completing Xenoblade, this is one of the only things keeping me interested in the system right now.

inopedes

Banned
Quoting Iwata, "To create huge momentum, we would like to ensure that the release of titles such as “Mario Kart 8” is not a one-off event."

To me that means big games in quick(ish) succession and for the Wii U to create any sort of momentum it would need 1 per month till Xmas. After MK8 there's 7 months to fill which would require all Nintendo's announced games be released this year so X surely needs be a 2014 release.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I mean, it's obvious they just showed in the last Nintendo Direct two games that will come in 2015 and 2016. Why not? But I thought Wii U will be canceled by the end of the year. So, i'm confused now.

AniHawk

Quoting Iwata, "To create huge momentum, we would like to ensure that the release of titles such as “Mario Kart 8” is not a one-off event."

To me that means big games in quick(ish) succession and for the Wii U to create any sort of momentum it would need 1 per month till Xmas. After MK8 there's 7 months to fill which would require all Nintendo's announced games be released this year so X surely needs be a 2014 release.

x seems like it's leaning towards being done. 4 years of development is a long time for anything.

Zalman

Wow, I can't believe I'm actually sad during weekends now since there are no daily pics for Smash Bros. Looking forward to that game a lot. Hopefully it stays in 2014.

m0t0k1

Wow, I can't believe I'm actually sad during weekends now since there are no daily pics for Smash Bros. Looking forward to that game a lot. Hopefully it stays in 2014.

It will be alright if the game releases in 2015. As long if they give sakurai some rest. If he doesnt watch out with his rsi it could turn into permanent rsi if he is not carefull. Hate to see that happen.

Anth0ny

I think it'll absolutely stay 2014. This isn't the Wii where they could afford delaying the game a few months. They need that game for holiday 2014.

Luckily, I think the lack of SSE/cutscenes will help keep the dev time down. It'll be out this year.

Sendou

I think it'll absolutely stay 2014. This isn't the Wii where they could afford delaying the game a few months. They need that game for holiday 2014.

Luckily, I think the lack of SSE/cutscenes will help keep the dev time down. It'll be out this year.

Either it will be ready or it won't. I think Nintendo have already shown that they won't compromise quality to get games out of the door earlier. Shown most recently with Mario Kart 8.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Either it will be ready or it won't. I think Nintendo have already shown that they won't compromise quality to get games out of the door earlier. Shown most recently with Mario Kart 8.

I personally think that during the GC era they rushed their games in order to get them out the door. This time they seem to be taking their time with the games. Thus the games are amazing, but they take forever to come out. However, if the Wii U could have something like the 3DS's 2013 (the titles listed, if they're really good might be getting there), maybe sales would pick up some?

I'm sorry, I'm quite busy currently (final phase of a project), I'll update the thread in the next few days. :)

Sorry, didn't mean to rush you =(. I was just kind of down on everyone else just being super pessimistic. Anyways, good luck w/ your project and thanks as always!

Riki

x seems like it's leaning towards being done. 4 years of development is a long time for anything.
And judging from even the minor changes between reveal and now they are just working on polishing which is the end of development stuff.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Also this is the current JP Wii U lineup until June so far.

2/13 - Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
3/27 - Wii Sports Club Wii U SKU
4/3 - Just Dance Wii U
4/24 - NES Remix 1 & 2 Retail Version
5/15 - Sonic All Stars Transformed
5/29 - Mario Kart 8
6/26 - Kamen Rider: Battride War II

The WiiU has some great software, having a blast with 3D World.
As of now this is perfect for those PS4 droughts.
That's how I see my Wii U. It's a great complement to my PS4. It's also my #1 couch co-op system. More companies need to learn from Nintendo, in this regard!

maxcriden

Man, it's too bad Nintendo won't ever announce new games for this system again. Zelda U port to Nintendo Fusion confirmed?

:-|

Daytonabot

Banned
Just picked up[ a WiiU. Have not spent money on a nintendo console since the N64.
The WiiU has some great software, having a blast with 3D World.
As of now this is perfect for those PS4 droughts.
I got mine right before Christmas, when the Skylanders bundle first hit $220 from TRU via NewEgg, and I have nearly the same opinion. I play everything I can on PC, but the Wii U is filling in as the PC's sidekick until the PS4 actually has something exclusive worth playing. Since that could be The Order this fall, the Wii U's value has grown beyond what I originally expected. That's not to say I don't have concerns. For example, the PC version of Transformed will be a very tough act for MK8 to follow, and that's a major release for a whole quarter it appears.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Sadly, Batman Arkham Knight is not going to hit the Wii U. I was planning to buy Blackgate through the eshop, liking the idea to build some sort of Batman collection for the console (with City and Origins), but now I'm not sure about that...
I was planning to do something similar with Sonic (looking for a good deal for Lost world, due to the Boom announce), Scribblenauts (looking forward for the PAL Unmasked announce to pick up Unlimited), Skylander (looking for a good deal on Swap, hoping for the new chapter confirmed for Wii U) Infinity (I hope they'll announce a Marvel edition) and Assassins (still waiting for a good deal on IV hoping for the fifth episode)...

Some Nobody

I couldn't in good conscience build a library of multi-platform titles on the Wii U anyway. The Wii U's weaker system means they have to do things old school, unfortunately.

Vagabundo

Currently playing through:

Batman Arkham City
ZombiU (stalled a little)
Trine 2 (just snagged it on sale for €6 and never played the version I had on steam for some reason)
Zelda Wind Waker (playing that with my three yr old daughter on Sunday mornings)

Glass Joe

And previously with Wonderful 101, Game & Wario, Wii Fit, and Pikmin 3. All launch window titles heh. But I don't think there's any danger of Smash not making it in time, it seems to be coming along despite the creator's arthritis or whatever his hand issue is. I'd say worse case they'd delay the 3DS version to get the U version out if needed (and maybe they should anyway).

Draconian

And previously with Wonderful 101, Game & Wario, Wii Fit, and Pikmin 3. All launch window titles heh. But I don't think there's any danger of Smash not making it in time, it seems to be coming along despite the creator's arthritis or whatever his hand issue is. I'd say worse case they'd delay the 3DS version to get the U version out if needed (and maybe they should anyway).

I think it's some sort of tendinitis, and I think it spread to his other arm.

Effect

I wouldn't be surprised if this was the last Smash game where he takes such an active role even if he's willing to make another one.

jmizzal

Sadly, Batman Arkham Knight is not going to hit the Wii U. I was planning to buy Blackgate through the eshop, liking the idea to build some sort of Batman collection for the console (with City and Origins), but now I'm not sure about that...
I was planning to do something similar with Sonic (looking for a good deal for Lost world, due to the Boom announce), Scribblenauts (looking forward for the PAL Unmasked announce to pick up Unlimited), Skylander (looking for a good deal on Swap, hoping for the new chapter confirmed for Wii U) Infinity (I hope they'll announce a Marvel edition) and Assassins (still waiting for a good deal on IV hoping for the fifth episode)...

I dont like the idea of yearly Batman games, WiiU now has 3 Batman games since launch each year, and will be getting another batman game, its over kill. Lego Batman 2, Batman AC, Batman AO and Batman AO Blackgate.

Arkham Knight is only XB1, PS4, PC, if it was on 360 and PS3 too I would have an issue

I dont like the idea of yearly Batman games, WiiU now has 3 Batman games since launch each year, and will be getting another batman game, its over kill. Lego Batman 2, Batman AC, Batman AO and Batman AO Blackgate.

Arkham Knight is only XB1, PS4, PC, if it was on 360 and PS3 too I would have an issue

Yeah, I can see why Wii U was skipped if they went uber next-gen only. Sales and the extra work to make a unique version wouldn't have been attractive.

Only Sega and Activision did that last gen on Wii. (Sanic and Collar Doody).

Effect

I think people should prepare themselves now for there not be Wii U versions of Assassin's Creed 5 (as a fan this series this is going to hurt) and Call of Duty this Fall as well. I fully expected this Batman game not to come even with Arkham City and Origins being on the system. They simply didn't sell. However even if they did I doubt Arkham Knight would have come if they are targeting the PS4 and XBO where the PS4 version is likely to be the lead sku due to it's sales. This isn't just an issue of the Wii U sales but the power and structure of the system itself. We're right back in Wii vs PS3/360 territory now but without the Wii's sales or even the competence Nintendo showed at pushing the Wii with marketing.

Thankfully I have my PC if the desire to play these games arises but it is disappointing and I'm more annoyed/upset with Nintendo then anything. These are the high profile, mass market games I expected the system to get at the very least (Call of Duty being the big one since even the Wii and DS got that) and it's likely even those won't come.

Thankfully I have my PC if the desire to play these games arises but it is disappointing and I'm more annoyed/upset with Nintendo then anything. These are the high profile, mass market games I expected the system to get at the very least (Call of Duty being the big one since even the Wii and DS got that) and it's likely even those won't come.

I will be buying a PS4 along the way, probably around the time that Evil Within surfaces, but yes it is really annoying.
I wish Nintendo could adress this issue in a plain way, without the PR bullshit, to all of us who had been there Day 1, just for the heck of it, to give us the necessary insight on how they perceive the WiiU and how they are going to proceed with it.

jmizzal

I think people should prepare themselves now for there not be Wii U versions of Assassin's Creed 5 (as a fan this series this is going to hurt) and Call of Duty this Fall as well. I fully expected this Batman game not to come even with Arkham City and Origins being on the system. They simply didn't sell. However even if they did I doubt Arkham Knight would have come if they are targeting the PS4 and XBO where the PS4 version is likely to be the lead sku due to it's sales. This isn't just an issue of the Wii U sales but the power and structure of the system itself. We're right back in Wii vs PS3/360 territory now but without the Wii's sales or even the competence Nintendo showed at pushing the Wii with marketing.

I dont know about AssCreed 5 but I fully expect the next COD to come to WiiU, Activision has a dedicated WiiU team at Treyarch and have so since the Wii days, COD makes so much money that the WiiU sales is not even hurting them at all, also Activision has been supporting WiiU with their licences games still.

diaspora

I just got SM3DW (DDP gave me enough cash for Trice 2 too!), and I gotta say, Peach is easily my favourite character. Mostly because cat Mario/Luigi creep me out a bit.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
I posted in the CoD thread, but we got an update with the Free Fall map on the Wii U tonight. Now we know DLC is possible with the Call of Duty games, but I doubt we get any of the paid stuff considering the userbase.

jmizzal

I posted in the CoD thread, but we got an update with the Free Fall map on the Wii U tonight. Now we know DLC is possible with the Call of Duty games, but I doubt we get any of the paid stuff considering the userbase.

What, I can play Free Fall map on WiiU right now? I guess I better get on COD now

jmizzal

Yeah, a popup in game tells you it's available amd takes you to the eshop to download it.

The map sucks

Lol but its a new map to try out tired of the other ones

Was the new Extinction mode paid content? I hope they put that on too, I mean if they are adding free maps why not add paid stuff.

This kinda proves my point of the WiiU team at Tryarch working on the new COD, this map was obviously not made for WiiU from the get go and they put in work to get it out

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
The WiiU is the weirdest system. The upcoming lineup sucks in terms of quantity, but it feels like every time I play a game on this thing, it's AMAZING. I don't really care about the lack of third parties, but a quantity of games more in line with what the 3DS had in 2013 would be nice...

I'm also wondering if SMT x FE will ever materialize.

Some Nobody

The WiiU is the weirdest system. The upcoming lineup sucks in terms of quantity, but it feels like every time I play a game on this thing, it's AMAZING. I don't really care about the lack of third parties, but a quantity of games more in line with what the 3DS had in 2013 would be nice...

Judging by the fact that nothing existed for it at the time, I'm guessing work on the game had not long started when they told us about it. They just knew it would be a thing, and were desperate to tell us SOMETHING.

The next ND might give us something, but when in doubt put your faith in E3. If it's not there they have no plans for it until probably late next year.

And, personally outside of Smash Bros and X, I never knew about anything Nintendo had that I wanted anyway. MK8 looks beautiful but I won't be picking it up at launch.

Roo

Quality>>>>>Quantity

Effect

So you're saying you can download CoD DLC from the eShop, but you still can't download CoD itself?

Crazy. Crazier still when one realizes you can buy CoD games on PSN and XBL. Have been able to do that day one I believe since Modern Warfare 3. With PSN you can buy the code off of Amazon.com as well. It never made any sense at all why you couldn't buy Black Ops 2 or Ghosts off the eShop. Impulse sales would have been much higher had it been there. Especially when situations like this happen. It also stops the used game sale. I would be stuck with Black Ops 2 and Ghosts had they been on the eShop and possibly went on sale and my will was weak enough and I would be getting deluxe points. Which it was since I got Ghosts twice only to get rid of it twice.

Not just CoD but all of Activision's games. None of them are on the eShop last time I checked. Something like Skylanders I can understand since you need the portal. Everything else is fine. This goes for the few games EA has as well. They could still be making money off them.

tebunker

Banned
Crazy. Crazier still when one realizes you can buy CoD games on PSN and XBL. Have been able to do that day one I believe since Modern Warfare 3. With PSN you can buy the code off of Amazon.com as well. It never made any sense at all why you couldn't buy Black Ops 2 or Ghosts off the eShop. Impulse sales would have been much higher had it been there. Especially when situations like this happen. It also stops the used game sale. I would be stuck with Black Ops 2 and Ghosts had they been on the eShop and possibly went on sale and my will was weak enough and I would be getting deluxe points. Which it was since I got Ghosts twice only to get rid of it twice.

Not just CoD but all of Activision's games. None of them are on the eShop last time I checked. Something like Skylanders I can understand since you need the portal. Everything else is fine. This goes for the few games EA has as well. They could still be making money off them.

I think this points to a much larger issue that I think gets ignored too much. Nintendo clearly has policies in place that do not make it beneficial to these large publishers to put their titles on eshop. Same goes for DLC and addons. Clearly MS and Sony are more open and probably give a lot more leeway to Activision and Ea in this regard. This is just one of many reasons why Nintendo doesn't get 3rd party support. People fail to recognize that it is Nintendos policies and fees that keep 3rd parties away not the power of the hardware.

Publishers are always going to go where there are lowers costs to entry and the opportunity to make more profit. It is a shame and clearly Nintendo has no intentions of hc agin their policies to make it easier for 3rd parties.

Effect

I think this points to a much larger issue that I think gets ignored too much. Nintendo clearly has policies in place that do not make it beneficial to these large publishers to put their titles on eshop. Same goes for DLC and addons. Clearly MS and Sony are more open and probably give a lot more leeway to Activision and Ea in this regard. This is just one of many reasons why Nintendo doesn't get 3rd party support. People fail to recognize that it is Nintendos policies and fees that keep 3rd parties away not the power of the hardware.

Publishers are always going to go where there are lowers costs to entry and the opportunity to make more profit. It is a shame and clearly Nintendo has no intentions of hc agin their policies to make it easier for 3rd parties.

The problem with that line of thought is many other third party developers do put their games on the eShops. Activision and EA seem be the only hold outs. So why are the policies okay for everyone but them?

Glass Joe

I don't get why Activision has refused to participate in the eShop when almost every other publisher does so. Have any of the many video game journalists asked that question and gotten an explanation? It's weird. Especially since CoD is available for download on other platforms and the gameplay for multiplayer is online.

Shoot, I probably would have downloaded at least one of them by now.

The problem with that line of thought is many other third party developers do put their games on the eShops. Activision and EA seem be the only hold outs. So why are the policies okay for everyone but them?

EA is weird. Madden and Need for Speed are in the eShop. Mass Effect 3 is not.

Top Bottom