• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Games 2014

tebunker

Banned
The problem with that line of thought is many other third party developers do put their games on the eShops. Activision and EA seem be the only hold outs. So why are the policies okay for everyone but them?
Because they know they are the big dogs and odds are, like I said, Sony and Ms are likely making it easier for them on their networks. Ubisoft may not get the same treatment. Maybe they value the relationship more than others. The point really was that Nintendo still has policies that cause some companies to not want to participate. This shouldn't be the case. They need a more open and accepting system that makes it easy for all to profit.

Glass Joe

Because they know they are the big dogs and odds are, like I said, Sony and Ms are likely making it easier for them on their networks. Ubisoft may not get the same treatment. Maybe they value the relationship more than others. The point really was that Nintendo still has policies that cause some companies to not want to participate. This shouldn't be the case. They need a more open and accepting system that makes it easy for all to profit.

What policies would those be? I'm genuinely asking. My bet is that Activision and EA, since they are "big dogs," are looking for a better royalty rate than everyone else gets.

EDarkness

I think this points to a much larger issue that I think gets ignored too much. Nintendo clearly has policies in place that do not make it beneficial to these large publishers to put their titles on eshop. Same goes for DLC and addons. Clearly MS and Sony are more open and probably give a lot more leeway to Activision and Ea in this regard. This is just one of many reasons why Nintendo doesn't get 3rd party support. People fail to recognize that it is Nintendos policies and fees that keep 3rd parties away not the power of the hardware.

Publishers are always going to go where there are lowers costs to entry and the opportunity to make more profit. It is a shame and clearly Nintendo has no intentions of hc agin their policies to make it easier for 3rd parties.

I doubt the situation is much different for indies as it is for publishers. Hell, I'd go so far as to say it's probably better for them. But for some reason Activision has avoided the eShop completely. No idea why, either. Perhaps this is the first step to Activision actually putting more stuff on the eShop. There's no reason for something like Angry Birds NOT being on the eShop.

tebunker

Banned
What policies would those be? I'm genuinely asking. My bet is that Activision and EA, since they are "big dogs," are looking for a better royalty rate than everyone else gets.
Essentially you nailed it royalties and fees, front page exposure, marketing exposure etc.

Sony and MS give more leeway to these big guys. It's also why a lot of indies like Nintendo because Nintendo gives them equal exposure and footing. So it is a double edged sword.

The point still stands though, if you are an Ea, Acti, Take Two or Ubi who are you going to work with? The company or companies that make it easier/cheaper for you to publish or the one that doesn't? If putting DLC on the WiiU costs 20% more to put on the eshop than it does on PSN/Live And you are going to get less sales, then where is the incentive? Same goes with Digital Releases.

It is up to Nintendo to make it an environment where 3rd parties can succeed and be profitable and to do that they need to have internal policies that make their system open and accessible.

This goes for VC too. There is clearly an additional cost/barrier to entry that makes it not profitable enough for companies to release their back catalogs of NES/SNES/N64 games etc on the VC and part of that are Nintendo's policies. There are no other explanations. Just think it through. It costs X for a developer to put in in VC format, costs Y to have it rerated, and then B to pass Nintnedo's submission process and then after all of that they have to give up a % of the sales. Nintendo can facilitate all off that to the benefit of both parties by making the easier/less restrictive to get a title running in the VC, offer development tools for little or no cost, fast track submission and or wave fees or lower the % cut of each sale. Or they can do any combination of this. The goal is to generate more support for their system and to get more games out.

It is clear though that Nintendo believes that they just need to sell more systems so that publishers couldn't ignore the user base and would be willing to put up with fees and policies that aren't conducive to higher profitability. They are quoted as saying this much and it clearly points to a deficiency in policies and management that they aren't willing to make changes to fix the situation.

Don't get me wrong I love my WiiU I own or have owned more games for it than most folks and will buy more going forward, but it is painfully obvious that it is Nintendos own internal policies that prevent a lot of games/DLC and support from coming to the system especially in a situation where they need as many games as possible on the system to help facilitate a healthy user base.

xandaca

Downloading Freefall is taking an absolute age (and my internet is perfectly good, in central London). No wonder the Wii U doesn't get much DLC, it'd probably take longer to download than it would to play the damn stuff.

EDarkness

Essentially you nailed it royalties and fees, front page exposure, marketing exposure etc.

Sony and MS give more leeway to these big guys. It's also why a lot of indies like Nintendo because Nintendo gives them equal exposure and footing. So it is a double edged sword.

The point still stands though, if you are an Ea, Acti, Take Two or Ubi who are you going to work with? The company or companies that make it easier/cheaper for you to publish or the one that doesn't? If putting DLC on the WiiU costs 20% more to put on the eshop than it does on PSN/Live And you are going to get less sales, then where is the incentive? Same goes with Digital Releases.

It is up to Nintendo to make it an environment where 3rd parties can succeed and be profitable and to do that they need to have internal policies that make their system open and accessible.

This goes for VC too. There is clearly an additional cost/barrier to entry that makes it not profitable enough for companies to release their back catalogs of NES/SNES/N64 games etc on the VC and part of that are Nintendo's policies. There are no other explanations. Just think it through. It costs X for a developer to put in in VC format, costs Y to have it rerated, and then B to pass Nintnedo's submission process and then after all of that they have to give up a % of the sales. Nintendo can facilitate all off that to the benefit of both parties by making the easier/less restrictive to get a title running in the VC, offer development tools for little or no cost, fast track submission and or wave fees or lower the % cut of each sale. Or they can do any combination of this. The goal is to generate more support for their system and to get more games out.

It is clear though that Nintendo believes that they just need to sell more systems so that publishers couldn't ignore the user base and would be willing to put up with fees and policies that aren't conducive to higher profitability. They are quoted as saying this much and it clearly points to a deficiency in policies and management that they aren't willing to make changes to fix the situation.

Don't get me wrong I love my WiiU I own or have owned more games for it than most folks and will buy more going forward, but it is painfully obvious that it is Nintendos own internal policies that prevent a lot of games/DLC and support from coming to the system especially in a situation where they need as many games as possible on the system to help facilitate a healthy user base.

We have no idea what "incentives" are provided to put games on the eShop for all parties involved. My understanding of the situation is that there are no real barriers for entry. However, I see no reason why Activision couldn't work something out with Nintendo if they really wanted to get their games on the eShop. They didn't have any problems making a Skylanders Wii U bundle. No other company seems to be having an problems with the eShop so what's the holdup with Activision?

tebunker

Banned
We have no idea what "incentives" are provided to put games on the eShop for all parties involved. My understanding of the situation is that there are no real barriers for entry. However, I see no reason why Activision couldn't work something out with Nintendo if they really wanted to get their games on the eShop. They didn't have any problems making a Skylanders Wii U bundle. No other company seems to be having an problems with the eShop so what's the holdup with Activision?

That's thing if there were no barriers then it would stand to reason that everyone would put stuff on the eshop. The fact that they don't let's you deduct that there are in fact barriers of some sort making it not profitable or as profitable.

EDarkness

That's thing if there were no barriers then it would stand to reason that everyone would put stuff on the eshop. The fact that they don't let's you deduct that there are in fact barriers of some sort making it not profitable or as profitable.

Who knows why people do or don't do things. It could be a simple fact of them not liking Reggie or Iwata. Which isn't a barrier, but more of their own personal feelings about it. All other companies don't have any issues, but this ONE company does? Yeah...something is up with that.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Hey guys if you're looking for a gamepad cradle + stand (Wii U Badic model anyone?) and are in a qualifying free shipping country, Amazon.it has the GAMEPAD CRADLE + STAND for €4,98!
It's usually €23.

Also BLOPS 2 for €10.

----

Btw, any The Pinball Arcade fans over here?
Had a chat with those guys and asked what the hell happened with the Wii U port, to which they replied
that they definitely still have plans for Wii U version, but we shouldn't expect to hear more about it until later this year tho.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Hey guys if you're looking for a gamepad cradle + stand (Wii U Badic model anyone?) and are in a qualifying free shipping country, Amazon.it has the GAMEPAD CRADLE + STAND for €4,98!
It's usually €23.

Also BLOPS 2 for €10.

----

Had a chat with those guys and asked what the hell happened with the Wii U port, to which they replied
that they definitely still have plans for Wii U version, but we shouldn't expect to hear more about it until later this year tho.

Hey, I hate you. Now I have to order BLOPS2 at that price.
Already played and finished, but I like the idea to collect the few third party series on Wii U :p

69wpm

Meanwhile, for fans wishing to keep their kart tyres warm and reactions sharp before 30th May, the Super Nintendo classic Super Mario Kart* will release on Nintendo eShop** as a Wii U Virtual Console title on 27th March. As part of a promotion to celebrate both this legendary title and Mario Kart 8, fans who purchase Super Mario Kart until June 30th 2014 can get a discount of £5.49 / 7,99 € on Mario Kart 8 if they purchase it on Nintendo eShop from the release of the game until June 30th, 2014, providing the purchase takes place on the same Wii U console.

Source

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

I'd say that MK8 limited edition is a better news to be reported ;p
Btw, I'd like to ask you all something:

1) Watchdog will be released end of May. I wonder when we'll get it on Wii U? I really hope it uses the gamepad in a good way (and it's not impossible, looking at Splinter Cell, not only at Zombi) and that it will hit the market soon (not at the end of the year, when there will be other games in competition)

2) Did we discovered something about those rumored games? I'm talking about: A) the AAA Wii U port from Tantalus Media B) the AAA Wii U version of a multi (PS360) game from Ubisoft Montreal C) the Minecraft rumors and D) the Frenchblog rumor about a Japanese Wii U esxlusive probably published by Nintendo

3) I'm gonna look to complete a little collection of brands for my Wii U: I was thinking about Sonic (I've just got Lost World, waiting for Sonic Boom); Scribblenauts: I'd buy Unlimited if they announce Unmasked for PAL release; Batman buying Blackgate, but no Arkham Knights make me sad; Assassins Creed buying Black Flag, if they announce the fifth episode also for Wii U; CoD (just bought BLOPS at those ridiculous price, waiting for a good deal for Ghost), due to the effort spent on that big online update - will they make another CoD for Wii U at Tryarch? I hope so!; Skylander and Infinity: I hope they'll confirm the new episodes for Wii U

Weng

Had a chat with those guys and asked what the hell happened with the Wii U port, to which they replied that they definitely still have plans for Wii U version, but we shouldn't expect to hear more about it until later this year tho.
Later this year... :( as long as it's still coming, I'm okay.

Glass Joe

The pinball game that was due out at Wii U's launch? Seems like if they were serious, they would at least put up a few tables to get the ball rolling instead of what appears to be an all-or-nothing approach.

jmizzal

I'd say that MK8 limited edition is a better news to be reported ;p
Btw, I'd like to ask you all something:

1) Watchdog will be released end of May. I wonder when we'll get it on Wii U? I really hope it uses the gamepad in a good way (and it's not impossible, looking at Splinter Cell, not only at Zombi) and that it will hit the market soon (not at the end of the year, when there will be other games in competition)

2) Did we discovered something about those rumored games? I'm talking about: A) the AAA Wii U port from Tantalus Media B) the AAA Wii U version of a multi (PS360) game from Ubisoft Montreal C) the Minecraft rumors and D) the Frenchblog rumor about a Japanese Wii U esxlusive probably published by Nintendo

3) I'm gonna look to complete a little collection of brands for my Wii U: I was thinking about Sonic (I've just got Lost World, waiting for Sonic Boom); Scribblenauts: I'd buy Unlimited if they announce Unmasked for PAL release; Batman buying Blackgate, but no Arkham Knights make me sad; Assassins Creed buying Black Flag, if they announce the fifth episode also for Wii U; CoD (just bought BLOPS at those ridiculous price, waiting for a good deal for Ghost), due to the effort spent on that big online update - will they make another CoD for Wii U at Tryarch? I hope so!; Skylander and Infinity: I hope they'll confirm the new episodes for Wii U

1. Hopefully Watch_Dogs for WiiU is still a early summer game since thats when Nintendo usually dont release games (June-July). I doubt Nintendo will release anything big right after Mario Kart anyways so that would be good for Watch_Dogs..

2. No info on any of those so far yet

3. COD next will def come out on WiiU, also Skylanders Activision has been support well, I'm really hoping the Disney Infinity for this year is the Marvel or Star Wars game they said was in development

Dash Kappei

Hey, I hate you. Now I have to order BLOPS2 at that price.
Already played and finished, but I like the idea to collect the few third party series on Wii U :p

Ahah I feel ya :p

Btw, if you wanna be BFFU (lol), send me a friend request over at my
NNID: Dash.Kappei

Dash Kappei

The pinball game that was due out at Wii U's launch? Seems like if they were serious, they would at least put up a few tables to get the ball rolling instead of what appears to be an all-or-nothing approach.

They couldn't. The Pinball Arcade is a platform in itself, which is out on:

X360 (only part of Season 1)
where they haven't been able to release new tables for more than a year, publishing rights issue that they're still working on, they're losing tons of money cause of that so they're not sitting idle waiting for the situation fix itself (but as you can see It's not like they're not "serious" on WiiU by this train if thought)

PS3 (S1,S2, S3 going on currently)
PS VITA (S1,S2, S3 going on currently)
PS4 (Season 1)
iOS (S1,S2, S3 going on currently)
Android (S1,S2, S3 going on currently)
Kindle Fire HD (S1,S2, S3 going on currently)
MAC OSX (S1,S2, S3 going on currently)
Windows 8 Store (Season 1?)
Steam (S1,S2, S3 going on currently)

prag16

Banned
due to the effort spent on that big online update - will they make another CoD for Wii U at Tryarch? I hope so!; Skylander and Infinity: I hope they'll confirm the new episodes for Wii U

I had started thinking the next CoD may be unlikely on Wii U. But since they took the time to bring Freefall to Wii U, and finally utilized the eshop, and have continued to maintain a Treyarch team specific to Nintendo platforms... I'm starting to think we WILL get the next CoD. And maybe even the rest of CoDs as long as they continue to release on PS360 (though 2015 could end up being the last year for that).

Even though it's a low volume product, Activision may very well see it as worthwhile to crank out to fill out the lineup alongside their licensed games and Skylanders...

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Ugh, why do I need the gamepad on when I'm playing Wonderful 101 with my pro controller.

My idiot dog chewed through my second charging cable, now I can't play W101 until my next one gets here, which will probably be at least a week.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I had started thinking the next CoD may be unlikely on Wii U. But since they took the time to bring Freefall to Wii U, and finally utilized the eshop, and have continued to maintain a Treyarch team specific to Nintendo platforms... I'm starting to think we WILL get the next CoD. And maybe even the rest of CoDs as long as they continue to release on PS360 (though 2015 could end up being the last year for that).

Even though it's a low volume product, Activision may very well see it as worthwhile to crank out to fill out the lineup alongside their licensed games and Skylanders...

Well, I hope so: Treyarch is really good at N platform (in terms of controls especially). I've just re-bought BLOPS2, and I'll look for a good Ghost deal so I hope they'll do another one on the console.
I really hope that Skylanders too will hit the wiiu once again, so when they'll announce the next one I'll be able to find a good deal for Swap force (as did for Giants bought at 29€ for Wii U)

1. Hopefully Watch_Dogs for WiiU is still a early summer game since thats when Nintendo usually dont release games (June-July). I doubt Nintendo will release anything big right after Mario Kart anyways so that would be good for Watch_Dogs..

2. No info on any of those so far yet

3. COD next will def come out on WiiU, also Skylanders Activision has been support well, I'm really hoping the Disney Infinity for this year is the Marvel or Star Wars game they said was in development

1) It seems that WD could be really late...we'll see!
2) That's a pity. If we can assume that the Japanese french one was bullshit, weren't the other official tips? I hope they turn out true!

3) I hope Disney will release marvel Infinity this year. I think that Star wars will follow as a 2015 title, considering the release of the new movie next year!

MLH

Ugh, why do I need the gamepad on when I'm playing Wonderful 101 with my pro controller.

My idiot dog chewed through my second charging cable, now I can't play W101 until my next one gets here, which will probably be at least a week.

You can get away with it: Tap SELECT/ MINUS button to switch to the screen you want to see, TV/ Game pad/ TV & game pad.

Edit: or do you mean the game pad needs to be switched on (i.e it's ran out of battery)? I'm sorry if that's the case.

Dash Kappei

Where did you get a second charging cable, directly from Nintendo?

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
You can get away with it: Tap SELECT/ MINUS button to switch to the screen you want to see, TV/ Game pad/ TV & game pad.

Edit: or do you mean the game pad needs to be switched on (i.e it's ran out of battery)? I'm sorry if that's the case.

Yeah, the gamepad has to be turned on to play even when you're just using the TV. Mine is dead because I can't charge it right now.

Where did you get a second charging cable, directly from Nintendo?

Bought it from Amazon, worked fine until my dumb dog bit it.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
I guess we can add One Piece Unlimited World Red to the 2014 games list =). It actually looks like a pretty decent game. It's digital only in the US tho, but I think it's retail in the EU?

69wpm

Probably fake, maybe just a place holder for Yarn Yoshi, but an Austrian online shop has put up Yoshi's Island U.

And this is the freaking small box art:

WU-YOLA.jpg

Edit: Box art seems to be from this one:

Ysbg.png

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Yoshi! I hope we'll know something at E3..
for One piece, being action, I could take a look...
btw, I've just received Sonic.
next could be skilander swap, if there will be a decent deal, or ken's rage 2 if Koei will drop the price again on the eshop

You know I wonder if Watch Dogs could be a surprise hit for the Wii U. I mean, I'm not expecting anything massive, but a favorable development that actually properly utilizes the gamepad properly could give it significant standing against the Ps4/xbone versions. The only real thing to worry about is how significant graphics people are. I know many people are still ridiculously picky about "needs to be 60fps 1080p", in which case they would never take the Wii U version, but Watch Dogs does seem like the game that could actually utilize the gamepad in a very interesting and unique way.

Mlatador

Banned
You know I wonder if Watch Dogs could be a surprise hit for the Wii U. I mean, I'm not expecting anything massive, but a favorable development that actually properly utilizes the gamepad properly could give it significant standing against the Ps4/xbone versions. The only real thing to worry about is how significant graphics people are. I know many people are still ridiculously picky about "needs to be 60fps 1080p", in which case they would never take the Wii U version, but Watch Dogs does seem like the game that could actually utilize the gamepad in a very interesting and unique way.

Good point. The game won't be a graphical showpiece anyway, so this is one "selling point" that's already out of the equation. What's left is gameplay. If that proves to be good, a well utilized Wii U Version could become the definitive version; and if the gameply prooves to be kinda okaish, but nothing out of the ordinary, then again, a well utlized Gamepad integration could pull it over into "good" terriory.

Well see.

Hiltz

Unfortunately, Watch Dogs seems to have a high chance of meeting the same fate as pretty much every other third party mature title released on it. The target demographic audience is hardly present on Wii U... and that's only part of the problem. It's delayed release is going to result in a stealth launch with no reason to pick it up over the other versions. No one bought Dues Ex because of the incentives the GamePad offered over the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 versions. Ubisoft could sell it for $10 less (like Warner Bros did with Batman: Arhkam Origins) and it still wouldn't make a difference.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Unfortunately, Watch Dogs seems to have a high chance of meeting the same fate as pretty much every other third party mature title released on it. The target demographic audience is hardly present on Wii U... and that's only part of the problem. It's delayed release is going to result in a stealth launch with no reason to pick it up over the other versions. No one bought Dues Ex because of the incentives the GamePad offered over the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 versions. Ubisoft could sell it for $10 less (like Warner Bros did with Batman: Arhkam Origins) and it still wouldn't make a difference.

Arkham Origins was also missing the online mode, thus it cost $10 less. Deus Ex Wii U was a great version of the game, but it cost significantly more than any other version at launch. If the Wii U version had cost $30 like the others, it MAY have stood a chance. Then again, I don't even think Gamestop stocked the game for Wii U, so Square-Enix kind of killed it. In general most of the 2013 Wii U third party games (Batman, Call of Duty, AC4, Deus Ex) were barely even mentioned by Nintendo, retailers, or the publishers themselves. Target, for example, refused to carry AC4, Arkham Origins, etc. b/c they got burned by their predecessors' sales on Wii U the previous year, and games like Wonderful 101 & Splinter Cell sold miserably as wel.

Draconian

Deus Ex was also more than 2 years after that game first came out. Really should've been a launch title at a budget price, but that wasn't in the cards. Anyway, Watch Dogs will bomb...if it doesn't get cancelled first.

jmizzal

Another WiiU game rumor

"NiNTENDOMiNATiON ‏@TiLMEN 1h
RUMOR!!! A Nintendo Action Game is in development for #WiiU.
- not a big but Known franchise
- maybe eShop only
- reveal & release soon"

https://twitter.com/TiLMEN/status/444658509364609025

With GDC around the corner could get some info
I'm thinking Bayonetta 1 gets announced and released quick on the eShop with Bayonetta 2 getting a release date

Newegg just put up this promo get $10 gift card when you buy Bayonetta 2
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...44-L027A&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=1312731&SID=

Another WiiU game rumor

- maybe eShop only
- reveal & release soon"

I'm thinking Bayonetta 1 gets announced and released quick on the eShop with Bayonetta 2 getting a release date

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...44-L027A&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=1312731&SID=
I may be the only one hoping for it but Sin and Punisment 3!

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Well I picked up a Pro controller and Tropical Freeze up earlier today. Hopefully the word about it being better than 3D World are true since I thought that was just passable despite it being my most enjoyed 3D Mario game since Sunshine.

tebunker

Banned
Another WiiU game rumor

- maybe eShop only
- reveal & release soon"

What can be considered a known but not big franchise from Nintendo? The Wars series could fit. Something along the lines of Icarus level. I doubt it is Bayonetta because it is a Nintendo action game. I would still love to see the first Bayo on Wiiu.

Is FE considered a big franchise now? I guess it is since almost all fe ganes get translated.

It is possible it comes out of one of the one of games they have published like Eternal Darkness. I am going betvif anything comes from this it will be something fromnthe wars line.

jmizzal

What can be considered a known but not big franchise from Nintendo? The Wars series could fit. Something along the lines of Icarus level. I doubt it is Bayonetta because it is a Nintendo action game. I would still love to see the first Bayo on Wiiu.

Is FE considered a big franchise now? I guess it is since almost all fe ganes get translated.

It is possible it comes out of one of the one of games they have published like Eternal Darkness. I am going betvif anything comes from this it will be something fromnthe wars line.

The reason I say Bayonetta is that I think Nintendo would prob publish it if they brought it to WiiU

tebunker

Banned
The reason I say Bayonetta is that I think Nintendo would prob publish it if they brought it to WiiU

True this is possible, but the rumor is a Nintendo action game that is known but not Big. Bayonetta only tangentially fits that mold because of Bayo 2. One can hope though, because I would buy Bayo 1 as long as it ran as well or better than the 360 version and maybe had some small stuff added in for WiiU.

I am still more apt towards leaning to a known franchise like Wars, or Custom Robo or Golden Sun or something second tier like that getting an eshop update. I would love for something like Eternal Darkness getting a new game, almost as if Nintendo funded an eshop only sequel...

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
So how does Nintendo's account transfer work exactly?

I'm thinking about buying one of the refurbished deluxe Wii U's to replace my basic which has a lot of problems. Is it only done through a phonecall?

Also, does everything transfer over, or can you do it on a per account basis?
One more, could I just attach my HDD to the new one after the transfer, or would I need to redownload everything?

Yagami_Sama

Sin Punishment would be superb.

Even a HD remake of the first one would be great.

And I Bayonneta 1 would be awesome too. And I don't know why they didn't release this game or announce it yet.

Dash Kappei

I don't get it, is it possible to get the Star Wars tables as DLC for ZP2 instead of having their own app? Afaik on other platformss they have both an app and DLC for ZP2, similar to what happened with the MARVEL packs (which was MARVEL Pinball AND a stand alone app). Anyone knows how does it work?

Top Bottom