• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WildStar |OT| The biggest MMO since the Big Bang

How many of you plan to farm for C.R.E.D.D.? If it was realistically farmable I might check out the game, and by realistically I mean ~10hrs/week

Uthred

How many of you plan to farm for C.R.E.D.D.? If it was realistically farmable I might check out the game, and by realistically I mean ~10hrs/week

Every time I think about farming in a game to pay for its monthly fee I generally think that I could just work an hours overtime to pay for it and spend the X farming hours playing the game or doing something else. I might give it a go if it dovetails with what I'd be doing in the game anyway.

This is going to be incredibly difficult to call before the game gets going. The price will be decided on by the community and nobody will have enough gold to make it worth selling for at least a month. It'll be a while before the price stabilizes.

Despite comparisons to EVE's Isk, it isn't quite the same. Different style of game, different implementation. It'll be something to watch, for sure.

Einbroch

Banned

Probably never. Even mind-numbling work like mturking would pay many more times the hourly rate than what farming would.

Just isn't worth it unless I'm rolling in gold or found some exploit.

erragal

Are you good at playing the AH/reading market efficiencies? That's the only way you'll get a good time to Credd ratio from an ingame activity.

Probably never; $15 isn't that much to pay if I'm enjoying the game and Carbine keep to their monthly, important updates.

Also, where's GAF/PvP going to play? I don't really care about Exile/Dominion, but my vote is for Widow if we want to group as a GAF group on a PVP server.

Einbroch

Banned
Probably never; $15 isn't that much to pay if I'm enjoying the game and Carbine keep to their monthly, important updates.

Also, where's GAF/PvP going to play? I don't really care about Exile/Dominion, but my vote is for Widow if we want to group as a GAF group on a PVP server.

I'm going wherever Somnia's guild goes (which is a PVP server). Although I likely won't be joining it at early levels, it's always an option.

Jarnet87

Server names!
BovBm4nIQAIA1hY.jpg

Is there a way to tell what time zone the server is based in? Trying to avoid PST if possible, happens every time I play an MMO.

Einbroch

Banned
Is there a way to tell what time zone the server is based in? Trying to avoid PST if possible, happens every time I play an MMO.

Servers are not split into timezones. The servers are very, very large, much larger than other MMOs, so they didn't feel the need to split the servers. The servers themselves are hosted in Texas.

StMeph

Been busy with other things and games, so I've -- sadly -- missed out on the Open Beta weekends to give the game a shot. I've read up on the game somewhat, but some of the details are lacking.

A few questions:
- how does gameplay feel? is it responsive?
- what are Paths like, in practical terms? tacked on? integral to the experience?
- most of the media seems to be about the game's end-game, but how long is it expected to take to hit max level?
- is there cross-realm PvE play? or only PvP?
- how does the game perform on low-end systems?
- what server is GAFguild rolling on?

Buried at bottom of last page.

Drazgul

For those who've played the betas, is this a valid criticism?

The scariest thing however is the fact that the endgame, which they trumpet so loudly as being their focal point, is going to be a colossal mess. They sent 5+ years, or whatever, building and testing the game from 1-30ish. Then they do a huge patch in the winter beta and announce the end of the winter beta, 1 week after that patch. This patch raised the level cap from 32 to max. However all those great raids, and end game content they trumpet, the warplots, all of it only got a weeks worth of testing in beta and these few beta weekends. They gave at least a years worth of closed beta testing 1-32, and no doubt that content is pretty polished, and a whopping 1 week and 8 days worth of weekend tests for everything 33+. The devs posted on the forums how dismayed they were at this decision, or 'compromise' they labeled it, that they were forced to make with the financial people.

Full post @ http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/6295314#6295314

Somnia

I'm going wherever Somnia's guild goes (which is a PVP server). Although I likely won't be joining it at early levels, it's always an option.

Even if you don't join you are free to jump on our mumble with us as it's an open mumble. Make sure to PM me your info when we get going so I can friend you and get you in dungeon/adventure runs later on!

Somnia

For those who've played the betas, is this a valid criticism?

Full post @ http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/6295314#6295314

This is not valid at all. A lot of high end guilds have been brought in by Carbine to do end game raiding testing. All of genetic archives has been cleared and walkthroughs are out there, it is very balanced and doable. Now only a couple guilds have actually cleared it so don't freak out thinking its too easy =)

Now Datascape has been kept under wraps, but guilds have in fact raided it and tested it to my knowledge, they however aren't allowed to discuss it and are keeping it to their chest per Carbine.

Einbroch

Banned
Gameplay is very responsive, probably the most responsive game since WoW. Not that the games that have come out since have bad responsiveness, but it truly does give you that WoW feeling.

- what are Paths like, in practical terms? tacked on? integral to the experience?
They're probably not as integral as some would want them to be. However, they are definitely worth doing, as they do provide useful or fun items for endgame players. Some hardcore players are going to skip paths while leveling but definitely will get back to them when they hit the cap.

- most of the media seems to be about the game's end-game, but how long is it expected to take to hit max level?
Anywhere from 60 to 150 hours played, depending on if you do paths, crafting, housing, etc.

Cross-realm is for both PVE and PVP. Dungeons, adventures, raids, etc, all can be done across realms. You can chat with people on other realms as well. Only thing you can't do is any open world stuff.

Much better than previous betas, but still not 100% optimized. It's a CPU hog.

Stay tuned and check the OP for other guilds.

Somnia

Been busy with other things and games, so I've -- sadly -- missed out on the Open Beta weekends to give the game a shot. I've read up on the game somewhat, but some of the details are lacking.

A few questions:
Very responsive, its the only mmo since WOW that has felt extremely responsive and smooth with combat, this is my opinion and I know some will disagree

Eh some feel tacked on like soldier, but I like scientist, if you enjoy lore go that route. Plus it enables you to port an entire group to you and open a portal back to your capital town

Some people have hit 50 in under 20 hours played on beta, these are people who have tested for ages. So I would say dedicated players will get to 50 within the first few days, but actually getting to end game is another story. Attunment for Genetic Archives (20 man raid) will take a few weeks at best

cross-realm is for pve and pvp just /invite name@servername to invite others

This is up for debate and I won't really comment as I have a higher end system, but if you can play wow you can play this probably

I'm not rolling with GAF guild so no idea, my guild though (link on main page) is recruiting and rolling on a PVP server =P

Damn you Einbroch!

KePoW

Banned
This is not valid at all. A lot of high end guilds have been brought in by Carbine to do end game raiding testing.

What do they mean by "high-end guilds"??

Like guilds that have been formed throughout the WS beta? Or famous raiding guilds from other games?

If they claim it's famous guilds from other games, how exactly did Carbine manage to do that?

They had various guilds privately testing end game content for quite a while.

This doesn't really build any confidence. Closed private testing for higher end content is not something unique, and relies on a small test pool to exploit discover the problems. And what typically happens? A clusterfuck once the public sinks it's teeth in it.

Somnia

This doesn't really build any confidence. Closed private testing for higher end content is not something unique, and relies on a small test pool to exploit discover the problems. And what typically happens? A clusterfuck once the public sinks it's teeth in it.

Most of genetic archives raids are all online, you can go watch now.

Regarding guilds testing, its well known high and guilds who they personally invited.

So as of yet i don't think Yogscast will have a guild, Goon Squad is going Exile, and the Reddit guilds will be on Widow for NA, and Hazak for EU. If anyone else has a big community they'd like to avoid just let me know, but i rolled a dice and came up with Orias for the GAF PVE server.

TheYanger

They had various guilds privately testing end game content for quite a while.

This. That's a really uninformed post. If you were over level 20 in the closed beta, you had full beta access all the way until the open beta ended, basically. Not to mention the uber guilds that were actually testing the raids being 'in' to do so basically any time they wanted. I won't claim it'll be bug free cause I have no idea, but it HAS been tested plenty.

Bloodsent

So as of yet i don't think Yogscast will have a guild, Goon Squad is going Exile, and the Reddit guilds will be on Widow for NA, and Hazak for EU. If anyone else has a big community they'd like to avoid just let me know, but i rolled a dice and came up with Orias for the GAF PVE server.

I was under the impression you wanted to avoid Good Squad altogether though. Even if they are Exile, they could still roll Orias, which means we would still have to deal with their shenanigans (yep, I said it).

I was under the impression you wanted to avoid Good Squad altogether though. Even if they are Exile, they could still roll Orias, which means we would still have to deal with their shenanigans (yep, I said it).

Someone said above they're debating between a PVP server and RP-PVE. Either way they choose we shouldn't come across them.

docbon

I know you're trying to come across as flippant and funny but this is just a bad post.

1qMy5xh.png

Reddit's poll for those interested. If they don't split to multiple servers they seem to be leaning PVP.

http://strawpoll.me/1774179/r

From what I see so far, it looks like Pergo might be the PVP server bigger guilds are rolling on, according to http://wildstar.guildex.org/, with Widow in second. I'm not sure how accurate this is though.

Hype, can't wait for Saturday.
i don't know what server to roll for on PVP, but it's going to be fun questing in contested areas.
Anybody know how the rival mechanic works?

Somnia

1qMy5xh.png

From what I see so far, it looks like Pergo might be the PVP server bigger guilds are rolling on, according to http://wildstar.guildex.org/, with Widow in second. I'm not sure how accurate this is, though.

Sounds like Widow is going to be the goto server for Oceanic PVP guilds, so it will probably have more of a 24/7 presence than Pergo. I honestly don't think you can go wrong with either server population wise.

Somnia

Hype, can't wait for Saturday.
i don't know what server to roll for on PVP, but it's going to be fun questing in contested areas.
Anybody know how the rival mechanic works?

You should come roll with Acolytes (link in the OP), quite a few gaffers are joining us and are in their trial phase now (or member status in Docbons case).

Einbroch

Banned
You should come roll with Acolytes (link in the OP), quite a few gaffers are joining us and are in their trial phase now (or member status in Docbons case).

What server you all rolling on? My brother and my friend are curious about where we're rollin'.

Somnia

What server you all rolling on? My brother and my friend are curious about where we're rollin'.

We're still in debate between Pergo and Widow right now, we should know sooner rather than later. I will PM you the info and post in here when it's decided.

Zaph

For EU players I strongly recommend Hazak.

English PVP servers are always the strongest and last to die. Yeah, they're horrible at launch due to over-population and queues, but just persevere.

We're still in debate between Pergo and Widow right now, we should know sooner rather than later. I will PM you the info and post in here when it's decided.

How many members are in your guild?
Thinking of rolling Pergo, since it seems to be packed. So shorter Q times.

Somnia

How many members are in your guild?
Thinking of rolling Pergo, since it seems to be packed. So shorter Q times.

Somewhere in the 40-50 range right now with trial members. We're growing pretty quickly, but we decided to make our chapter an official chapter of the community pretty late so we're starting behind the ball a bit compared to some guilds. The good thing is some of the strongest leadership in our community are heading up this chapter.

Regarding Q times, remember most PVP is done cross realm not server vs server, while that is an option 99% of people will always do cross-realm.

docbon

Some of the polls are getting hit hard by bots, btw. There's no way more than half the userbase is cramming onto the PVP servers as dominion.

Retro

You'll also want to look into Penny Arcade, they've grown a pretty sizable community that tends towards obnoxiousness as well. Curse too, they usually have a sub-site and forums that are game-specific and they tend to create communities there that are pretty big.

Maybe look into whether Gaiscioch is rolling in WS or not, they have something like 3500 members and play across multiple games. They are usually well-behaved though, so if you're worried about the size of your guild, rolling with a big, ultra friendly guild might actually be a good thing.

Those are the big ones off the top of my head.

Top Bottom