• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WildStar |OT| The biggest MMO since the Big Bang

Jijidasu

Thanks for the info. I'd be rolling in Japan myself.

Where did you purchase/download, btw?
I'd play on a EU server (as that's where my friends are back home), but I don't want to screw myself over from the start. GMG says it's not available in my region yet... doubt it's coming to these shores any time soon so I'm curious if there's a work-around.

The game looks great, though. Surprised I hadn't heard of it literally until today!

I went straight off the official site since GMG doesn't work here. You might want to do the same if money isn't a problem as it provides the most simple, no-fuss route.

As for coming to Japan, I think that's one of those stay tuned things. But I think that'll be talked about later on.

Zand

Neo Member
So as someone who has been burned by more MMO's than I can remember, how would you try and sell this game to me? What would you say are the reasons it's worth checking out if most MMO's have been quite the disappointment at launch (TSW, Rift, SWTOR, TESO, GW2, Neverwinter)? I am slightly interested but I don't know anyone who actually has played the game or if it's really worth getting at launch.

If you really didn't like TSW, SWTOR, or GW2, then I doubt you'll like WildStar, those were all quite excellent games. Really depends on what you want from a game, and WildStar is very much like WoW, but with some nice changes, but also some glaring failures (at the moment).

Its combat is rather fun, but not as good as other "action" based combat like Tera / Blade & Soul. If you didn't like combat in GW2, I doubt you'll like it in WildStar. Combat in WildStar is all about pressing your builder skill repeatedly while watching for, and avoiding colored designs on the ground. ;p

Leveling up is your typical quest hub to quest hub method, just like WoW, and less fun than GW2. Though it does allow you to turn in/receive many quests without visiting/going back to a NPC, which is great. You can level up via PvP (bg's / arena's) if that is your thing too, and the game has Path's (Soldier, Explorer, Scientist, and Settler) which can be a nice distraction (I'll let someone else explain those).

Lots of other stuff. Good / bad. I'll advise making a NCSoft account and downloading the client, then picking up one of the 7-day trial keys that will be offered here, that will give you plenty of gametime to decide whether its the game for you or not.

Zand

Neo Member
Question about Adventures / Dungeons. During the Winter Beta, I leveled my Engi up to 14, and I was able to go to the solo instance up on the Moon (by far the best thing about WildStar I had experienced), but was that an "Adventure" or "Dungeon" or "Instance"?

I watched a twitch stream about Adventures, and it made them seem like group instances only. They also mentioned some Story instances starting at lvl35 (which I guess can be done solo, since they are most likely similar to GW2's Story missions).

I think I saw a list of Dungeons showing the first can be entered at lvl15, then lvl25, etc. Are there other solo instances to do as I level up between the Adventure/Dungeon lvl ranges? That Moon mission was quite fun, and a great change of pace/style from the planetside stuff.

Hixx

Question about Adventures / Dungeons. During the Winter Beta, I leveled my Engi up to 14, and I was able to go to the solo instance up on the Moon (by far the best thing about WildStar I had experienced), but was that an "Adventure" or "Dungeon" or "Instance"?

I watched a twitch stream about Adventures, and it made them seem like group instances only. They also mentioned some Story instances starting at lvl35 (which I guess can be done solo, since they are most likely similar to GW2's Story missions).

I think I saw a list of Dungeons showing the first can be entered at lvl15, then lvl25, etc. Are there other solo instances to do as I level up between the Adventure/Dungeon lvl ranges? That Moon mission was quite fun, and a great change of pace/style from the planetside stuff.

That was a Shiphand. Like solo mini-dungeons (though I do believe you can still do them in a group). I agree though, they seem to be a nice change of pace.

syoaran

Wait, so if I go and pre-order this now (UK), I can play immediately? I though the pre-order head start began on Saturday?
No.
It's an OP's test, which means the server is up for testing purposes only. Will be down in a few hours. They will likely do this a few times until Saturday. Characters will be wiped Friday night.

Its combat is rather fun, but not as good as other "action" based combat like Tera / Blade & Soul. If you didn't like combat in GW2, I doubt you'll like it in WildStar. Combat in WildStar is all about pressing your builder skill repeatedly while watching for, and avoiding colored designs on the ground. ;p

I dunno about DPS, but it's certainly much more complex than that for healing.

Uthred

Looks like if you didnt already have a character from the beta you cant create a new one, Noes my highwayman lootz ;)

Cider X

Has anyone tried the beta on a low end system? I'm interested in this but not sure if my laptop will run it. I'm perfectly fine with playing on low or medium settings at 1600x900.

i3
4 GB Ram
GeForce 740m 1GB

T.O.P

Banned
Has anyone tried the beta on a low end system? I'm interested in this but not sure if my laptop will run it. I'm perfectly fine with playing on low or medium settings at 1600x900.

i3
4 GB Ram
GeForce 740m 1GB

i7 4gb Ram and 5850HD Toxic here

Tried the beta at 900p medium settings and it ran like shit, even at low i had some problem, but it might've been unoptimazied at the time, donnow

mileS

i3
4 GB Ram
GeForce 740m 1GB

Like a lot of games lately this one is more CPU based. Basically if you don't have a super good CPU or one that's overclocked all to hell you're going to get shitty performance no matter what the settings are.

i3
4 GB Ram
GeForce 740m 1GB

I think it would run very poorly as a result of your CPU. You may want to get your hands on a guest pass after release to see how it runs for you.

erragal

If you really didn't like TSW, SWTOR, or GW2, then I doubt you'll like WildStar, those were all quite excellent games. Really depends on what you want from a game, and WildStar is very much like WoW, but with some nice changes, but also some glaring failures (at the moment).

Leveling up is your typical quest hub to quest hub method, just like WoW, and less fun than GW2. Though it does allow you to turn in/receive many quests without visiting/going back to a NPC, which is great. You can level up via PvP (bg's / arena's) if that is your thing too

You should preface your opinion with "I am a big GW2 fan and take my opinion with a grain of salt". There is no objective data that you could toss out to confirm your wild belief that GW2 had a good leveling system or a superior action combat system. In fact that goes against the grain quite heavily.

You are also underinformed about Wildstar. Attempting to characterize leveling up as 'wow like quest hubs, oh u can pvp I guess" shows either a lack of research or intentional downplay. In addition to traditional quest hubs interwoven with path content you have both dungeons and adventures. Dungeons are somewhat traditional with significantly harder tuning and of course a balance between trinity for team dynamics and a higher burden on individual players with more position requirements/harder interrupt mechanics.

Wildstar also has adventures which are branching scenarios similar to dungeons in concept but with more of am emphasis on recreating epic quest scenarios with group decision making. The combination of adventures, dungeons, overworld questing/paths/rare monsters and pvp is just a more fluid leveling experience than both GW2 and TSW.

Combine these detailed content plans, a game that was designed top down (Endgame already exists...GW2? Where was your endgame), and a combat system that hybridizes traditional hotkey mmo teamplay with more mobile/action elements and very lol-like skillshots meshes so well together.

I see nothing but emotion in your statement. Factually you could say "The Secret World has a more intricate story, compelling puzzles, deep characters, and the best mmo environments ever made", you could say "GW2 is a fun couple week leveling experience and has a lot of dynamic content for alt lovers" or "Swtor took a formulaic model and added a fun, engaging if a bit repetitive story structure while having all the bells and whistles that make it a solid, playable longterm game".

Einbroch

Banned

Well, I absolutely hated the combat of GW2 and love WildStar's combat. This also applies to a lot of people in this thread, I know for a fact that TheYanger hated GW2 combat but likes the combat in WildStar.

Your whole post is just incredibly reductive.

Crackbone

Well, I absolutely hated the combat of GW2 and love WildStar's combat. This also applies to a lot of people in this thread, I know for a fact that TheYanger hated GW2 combat but likes the combat in WildStar.

Your whole post is just incredibly reductive.

Personally I loved GW2 combat but I found the build diversity quite lacking. Generally the game was light on things to do and ways to do it.

Where I feel for me Wildstar works is that it is content rich for a mmo at launch and has the more twitch based combat that I enjoyed in GW2.

Those who discount the game as a wow clone with dumbed down GW2 combat aren't really taking the time to see what wildstar has to offer. Really that's their loss.

Einbroch

Banned
Let's not just slam GW2, guys. We can compare and contrast, but mocking the game shouldn't be acceptable. They're our sister guild and are gracious in letting us host our forums and Mumble on their servers. Plus a lot of GW2 players are gonna play WildStar.

erragal

Let's not just slam GW2, guys. We can compare and contrast, but mocking the game shouldn't be acceptable. They're our sister guild and are gracious in letting us host our forums and Mumble on their servers. Plus a lot of GW2 players are gonna play WildStar.

Why should any of that matter? More specifically ...why did that guy come in this thread and spread misinformation about Wildstar and try to pump GW2. Now why they're trying to push a dead game...only they know.

GW2 isn't even the same type of game as Wildstar. It's not at all. It has no dynamic team based pve game. This is also a forum where freedom to apply honest criticism is encouraged. I said nothing untrue or even particularly controversial.

Also you should know how little of this forum actually joins gaf guilds. That's not going to convince anyone.

Einbroch

Banned
Why should any of that matter? More specifically ...why did that guy come in this thread and spread misinformation about Wildstar and try to pump GW2. Now why they're trying to push a dead game...only they know.

GW2 isn't even the same type of game as Wildstar. It's not at all. It has no dynamic team based pve game. This is also a forum where freedom to apply honest criticism is encouraged. I said nothing untrue or even particularly controversial.

Also you should know how little of this forum actually joins gaf guilds. That's not going to convince anyone.

What you said in your first post is absolutely fine. You made good points.

What you said in your second is not. "It's a bunch of dps players making alts repeatedly then trolling games with actual pve teamplay mechanics." It's just baiting people to come into this thread and defend their game of choice, completely derailing the thread and leaving sour tastes in everyone's mouths.

erragal

I was talking about WS.

Did you read the post you reaponded too? He directly compared it to GW2. He, and others of his ilk, are spreading misinformation. Assume at least some % are paid. That is how the internet works.

Edit: Baiting? They've already arrived. Two on the same page. Why aren't you scolding the two gw2 pushers that came in unsolicited? Silly.

Uthred

Did you read the post you reaponded too? He directly compared it to GW2. He, and others of his ilk, are spreading misinformation. Assume at least some % are paid. That is how the internet works.

Edit: Baiting? They've already arrived. Two on the same page. Why aren't you scolding the two gw2 pushers that came in unsolicited? Silly.

Holy shit, that is some high level paranoia

Einbroch

Banned

Ignore them, or correct them like you did in your first post. Getting on their level is just gonna bring the thread down and is a total bummer to read. I know, because I used to do it all the time in the GW2 thread and it just left everyone bitter.

erragal

Holy shit, that is some high level paranoia

Do you actually think that's paranoia? You are a bit naive if you don't think every single message board/review forum has paid marketers in it. Doesn't mean these specific ones are...but it's how the world works now.

Uthred

Do you actually think that's paranoia? You are a bit naive if you don't think every single message board/review forum has paid marketers in it. Doesn't mean these specific ones are...but it's how the world works now.

The guy expessed his opinion and preference, you offered additional information which was fine, but you took him expressing his preference as evidence of a) fervernt GW2 "fanboyism" and b) an intentional "attack" on Wildstar. You then escalated this assumption by implying there was a widespread attack on the game and a funded one at that. So yes I do think the post I quoted reads as paranoid.

erragal

Sorry for the potential derailment. Just overeacted that my first visit to the ot had two gw2 trolls already.

One thing I've seen a lot of mixed opinions about are elder gems. I personally love that alternate advancement (power gain after level cap for newer folks) is in from day one. I've also seen a some people really frustrated with it, usually citing that its just another grind.

For those against it, I'm just curious what it is that you dislike about the option.

@Uthred: We have completely different perceptions about human behavior. I hope yours works out for you.

Ferny

The argument against Elder Gens seems to be that those people who come in later on are at a disadvantage. Personally I don't think so as there are always going to be people who can't be there right at launch.

Einbroch

Banned
One thing I've seen a lot of mixed opinions about are elder gems. I personally love that alternate advancement (power gain after level cap for newer folks) is in from day one. I've also seen a some people really frustrated with it, usually citing that its just another grind.

For those against it, I'm just curious what it is that you dislike about the option.

I think it's great. Why? Because it always gives you something to look forward to. I can't even count the number of times a piece of loot has dropped that we had to disenchant because all the people in the raid that wanted it had it.

Now you can give upgrades of the same weapons to someone who already has that weapon. Make it no DKP or whatever if you want. I personally love it. It also gives some of the standins/etc a chance to get an item if it's worse than the version a "main" raider has.

Oh shit, I TOTALLY read that as the random-slot system that items have. IGNORE THIS POST!

Now why they're trying to push a dead game...only they know.

I'm a pretty hardcore GW2 player. I think WildStar is awesome, and I'm looking forward to seeing it evolve even further. It's not for me, but I have no ill-will towards it. But you need to check that "GW2 is dead" attitude, because it's both factually incorrect, and blatant trolling.

I would like to say though that the the "gw2 trolls" in this thread, as you call them, do not represent the GAF GW2 community. We are not in the habit of going into other MMO threads and bashing them, because we expect the same courtesy from the other MMO fans. We're all on the same team here. Many of the GAF GW2 regulars are pretty into WildStar, and I think everyone with their head on straight wants to see it succeed, because the world needs more good MMOs. Diversity is good for everyone and the genre.

You can like one thing, without breaking down something else just to prop the thing you like up.

(Apologies to the WildStar thread, I don't mean to derail, but this is a good reminder that an OT is not an insular community, GAF is pretty broad and people play many games at the same time. Ferny's post below this has it right - an OT is supposed to be a place to have fun and get caught up in the hype and enjoyment of something fun and new. Put the people that are getting you down on an ignore list and carry on.)

Ferny

I think that's as good a place as any to just stop these GW2 vs WS conversations.

Comparing the systems and all that between the two is fine, but let's not turn this into a battle or whatever. Not worth it.

erragal

I'm a pretty hardcore GW2 player. I think WildStar is awesome, and I'm looking forward to seeing it evolve even further. It's not for me, but I have no ill-will towards it. But you need to check that "GW2 is dead" attitude, because it's both factually incorrect, and blatant trolling.

It's not trolling. People have different standards for life, population, and content from their games. It has a smaller population than Eso...and well that game was doa.

Somnia

ROYAL RUMBLE Wildstar vs Guild Wars 2....Battle of the ages!

Ok enough if that shit lets move on.

Regarding Elder Gems, I heard there is a 150 (or 140) weekly cap on them AND if you finish the week with 90 you still can only goto cap the next week not over, so spend them wisely and get em all!

tumblr_n5q0og6e7P1sjbtwdo2_500.gif

tumblr_n5q0og6e7P1sjbtwdo4_500.gif

There's one thing we can all agree on: WildStar's animation team are top-notch.

tumblr_n5kbon8OPM1sq644go1_400.gif

Ferny

I upgraded my standard edition to a deluxe edition a couple minutes ago. Damn hoverboard. Once I found out that it can go over water, I had to have it.

erragal

tumblr_n5q0og6e7P1sjbtwdo2_500.gif

tumblr_n5q0og6e7P1sjbtwdo4_500.gif

There's one thing we can all agree on: WildStar's animation team are top-notch.

If you guys never tried Draken you should. I expected to be pretty meh...and then draken male warrior had by far my favorite animation set in the game. I'm not even playing the class/race and just adore the attention to detail + animalistic nature.

If you guys never tried Draken you should. I expected to be pretty meh...and then draken male warrior had by far my favorite animation set in the game. I'm not even playing the class/race and just adore the attention to detail + animalistic nature.
I would be going Dracken if they could be Espers. I think their animations are the best in the game.

Burt

Do any of the other threads have gaffer impressions? I'd really like to see what the beta was like.

Anyone try the game with something near a 6850 and 2500k? Not dropping any money on the game until I can be sure that it runs well.

Edit: Boo, some quick googling says 20-30fps on medium. Might need to wait for some optimization.

Also, class suggestions? I have a long, sad history of picking fairly useless and/or underpowered classes in games (not on purpose, that's just how it turns out), so for once I'd just like to pick something that doesn't have me gimped from the start. An idea of what to stay away from would be just as good as knowing what to pick. I'm getting bad vibes from the Spellslinger already, reminds me of my vanilla WoW Shaman that couldn't really outshine anyone in anything and felt like a burden in raids. Thinking Warrior, Medic, or Stalker might be safer picks.

Arksy

I got up to 14ish with Engineer but got sick of 1-2-1-2-1-2 useful spells and 5 other super situational ones.

Top Bottom