• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WildStar |OT| The biggest MMO since the Big Bang

Zand

Neo Member
You should preface your opinion with "I am a big GW2 fan and take my opinion with a grain of salt". There is no objective data that you could toss out to confirm your wild belief that GW2 had a good leveling system or a superior action combat system. In fact that goes against the grain quite heavily.

You are also underinformed about Wildstar. Attempting to characterize leveling up as 'wow like quest hubs, oh u can pvp I guess" shows either a lack of research or intentional downplay. In addition to traditional quest hubs interwoven with path content you have both dungeons and adventures. Dungeons are somewhat traditional with significantly harder tuning and of course a balance between trinity for team dynamics and a higher burden on individual players with more position requirements/harder interrupt mechanics.

Wildstar also has adventures which are branching scenarios similar to dungeons in concept but with more of am emphasis on recreating epic quest scenarios with group decision making. The combination of adventures, dungeons, overworld questing/paths/rare monsters and pvp is just a more fluid leveling experience than both GW2 and TSW.

Combine these detailed content plans, a game that was designed top down (Endgame already exists...GW2? Where was your endgame), and a combat system that hybridizes traditional hotkey mmo teamplay with more mobile/action elements and very lol-like skillshots meshes so well together.

I see nothing but emotion in your statement. Factually you could say "The Secret World has a more intricate story, compelling puzzles, deep characters, and the best mmo environments ever made", you could say "GW2 is a fun couple week leveling experience and has a lot of dynamic content for alt lovers" or "Swtor took a formulaic model and added a fun, engaging if a bit repetitive story structure while having all the bells and whistles that make it a solid, playable longterm game".

You should have prefaced your response as "Fanboy to the rescue!". Though anyone reading your post, and its subsequent rants could tell that easily enough.

I wasn't bashing WildStar at all, nothing in my post was wrong in its description of WildStar, nor was I trying to sell GW2 as being a better game...that was just coming from your own prejudice against GW2 (a game which you seem to hate).

Leveling in WS is mostly questing via hubs in various areas, surprisingly similar to WoW, with dungeons (like WoW), and the ability to forgo questing / dungeons totally by leveling up via PvP. The Adventures (Story ones) you can run at 35+ sound great, much more developed than the later stages of GW2's Story quests. A big plus for WS are the Shiphand missions, and I hope there are more than 3-4 throughout the leveling experience.

Combat? It is nearly identical to GW2 in mechanics, except WildStar added in its telegraphs, which are overdone (imo). Both allow movement while attacking (though WS has stationary attacks, and GW2 has animation cycles); Both have a dodge mechanic, amazingly the default for both is 2 dodges before depleting that resource; GW2 is a bit less freeform than WS, but I like both styles (less than than the other games I mentioned though). It is a matter of preference.

Anyway, I plan on playing WS with GAF, just as I've played GW2 with GAF (a fantastic community, btw), and I hope to have as much fun in WS as I've had/have in GW2. Hopefully your fanboy-ism doesn't throw you into nerdrage as much as it has in this thread. Carry on!

Ferny

Also, class suggestions? I have a long, sad history of picking fairly useless and/or underpowered classes in games (not on purpose, that's just how it turns out), so for once I'd just like to pick something that doesn't have me gimped from the start. An idea of what to stay away from would be just as good as knowing what to pick. I'm getting bad vibes from the Spellslinger already, reminds me of my vanilla WoW Shaman that couldn't really outshine anyone in anything and felt like a burden in raids. Thinking Warrior, Medic, or Stalker might be safer picks.
I played a Spellslinger to level 20 and they are great DPS and from what I hear, great healers in certain aspects. Every class has things that they excel at more so than others. Spellslingers range is more than any other healing class so that helps and they provide things that others don't so far. I found them really fun DPS wise, no experience with healing but have heard good things about them.

Zand

Neo Member
Do any of the other threads have gaffer impressions? I'd really like to see what the beta was like.

Anyone try the game with something near a 6850 and 2500k? Not dropping any money on the game until I can be sure that it runs well.

Also, class suggestions? I have a long, sad history of picking fairly useless and/or underpowered classes in games (not on purpose, that's just how it turns out), so for once I'd just like to pick something that doesn't have me gimped from the start. An idea of what to stay away from would be just as good as knowing what to pick. I'm getting bad vibes from the Spellslinger already, reminds me of my vanilla WoW Shaman that couldn't really outshine anyone in anything and felt like a burden in raids. Thinking Warrior, Medic, or Stalker might be safer picks.

I'm running a i5 3570k with a 560ti, the games performance has improved a -lot- since Winter Beta. I get a steady 35+ fps everywhere. There should tons of 7-day trial codes available this weekend, plenty of time to test the game out.

As for classes, you really can't go wrong as a Stalker, they seem the most balanced of the classes I've played (Engi, Esper, Spellsinger to 15). Could never get past how bad the Warrior default builder animation was, so I dropped it.

Yoday

Do any of the other threads have gaffer impressions? I'd really like to see what the beta was like.

Anyone try the game with something near a 6850 and 2500k? Not dropping any money on the game until I can be sure that it runs well.

Edit: Boo, some quick googling says 20-30fps on medium. Might need to wait for some optimization.

Don't trust the googling on this, as performance is dependent on many factors like where you are, how many people are in the area, and when that benchmark took place. Your GPU will be just fine. This game is not very GPU heavy and even a middle of the road GPU will max out the game pretty easily. Your CPU will also be just fine, but the higher you can clock it the better. WildStar's current performance issues come from poor multi-core optimization, so really it isn't running how it should be for anyone.

I have a GTX 580 and a 2500k @ 4.2Ghz and I usually get somewhere in the 50s to 60s with dips into the 30's in populated areas. This will improve in time though as they further optimize their CPU utilization. This is easy to see in practice as dropping the visuals won't affect the performance at all outside of lowering the draw distance, which is CPU bound.

timkunedo

After watching the story trailer I really feel bad for the Aurin. I'll definitely be making an Aurin. Maybe not my first toon, but shortly after. The Dominion need to pay for their evil ways.

npanciroli

Neo Member
Had a friend try and get me into WoW again but after playing for 15 minutes on his account I couldn't because it felt so dated. Then I felt the itch to play another MMO and have been reading about this for awhile. Definitely going to try and get my hands on a trial as it looks amazing.

Does it have a simple way of finding groups for dungeons?

I've always played a tank in MMOs so stalker looks super fun in that respect.

Einbroch

Banned
After watching the story trailer I really feel bad for the Aurin. I'll definitely be making an Aurin. Maybe not my first toon, but shortly after. The Dominion need to pay for their evil ways.

Serious talk, the Dominion were chosen, literally chosen by the "Gods" to lead the people. This isn't some like made up thing, this is fact. Did they maybe get a little power hungry? Sure.

But you don't fuck with the Eldan and their decision.

Dunlop

A man after my own heart.

Too bad I'm going to be stomping on that heart when I gank you.
Bring it!

I used to love open world PVP back in vanilla wow. We were a server leading horde guild and knew the raid schedule for the top alliance guild (and they knew ours). I swear sometimes our raids would start an hour late as we tried to battle our way into MC or BWL lol

concerning low end PC's..this is the beast I run it on:

Win7 pro (64 bit)
4GB Ram
GTX560
AMD Phenom II x3 720 2.8ghz

generally 30-60 fps

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I wish I could like this game. I might give it another go but I was absolutely bored to death playing in the beta :(

Ferny

Had a friend try and get me into WoW again but after playing for 15 minutes on his account I couldn't because it felt so dated. Then I felt the itch to play another MMO and have been reading about this for awhile. Definitely going to try and get my hands on a trial as it looks amazing.

Does it have a simple way of finding groups for dungeons?

I've always played a tank in MMOs so stalker looks super fun in that respect.
It does have a group finder for dungeons, adventures, PVP, all that stuff.

I wish I could like this game. I might give it another go but I was absolutely bored to death playing in the beta :(
I'll tell ya my experience with the game was pretty much the same as yours. Leveled to about 12-13 in one of the beta weekends and found it so boring. It could have been the class (don't remember what it was) but I just found it dull. I gave it another try after the interface change and the big patch and loved all the changes. Now I can't wait for this weekend to play the hell out of the game.

erragal

You should have prefaced your response as "Fanboy to the rescue!". Though anyone reading your post, and its subsequent rants could tell that easily enough.

I wasn't bashing WildStar at all, nothing in my post was wrong in its description of WildStar, nor was I trying to sell GW2 as being a better game...that was just coming from your own prejudice against GW2 (a game which you seem to hate).

Leveling in WS is mostly questing via hubs in various areas, surprisingly similar to WoW, with dungeons (like WoW), and the ability to forgo questing / dungeons totally by leveling up via PvP. The Adventures (Story ones) you can run at 35+ sound great, much more developed than the later stages of GW2's Story quests. A big plus for WS are the Shiphand missions, and I hope there are more than 3-4 throughout the leveling experience.

Combat? It is nearly identical to GW2 in mechanics, except WildStar added in its telegraphs, which are overdone (imo). Both allow movement while attacking (though WS has stationary attacks, and GW2 has animation cycles).

You mentioned yourself that you 'preferred GW2 combat' and felt its questing was more fun. You then failed to mention half of the content of Wildstar including only referring to the leveling experience. I had not once made a single post prior to responding to yours so your ability to peg me as a fanboy is lacking. I even cited the -actual- specifoc strengths of the games you generically called 'excellent' at the end of my post; something you failed to do entirely.

So yes you -did- try to sell it as a better game. Perhaps that wasn't your intent but your personal opinions bled right through. Declaring you're not biased but then showing said bias through language structure, missing information, and offhand comments is par for the course. It's still an opinionated, contentless evaluation.

Adventures begin at 25. There you go again with the offhand comparisons "surprisingly similar to wow". Were you surprised when GW2 and TSW and SWTOR amd Warhammer Online and Age of Conam and Rift used a hub system. Of those games Rift and Swtor are far and away the closest matches to wow...Wildstar pulls elements of the now classic hub system and incorporates slightly smaller early zones and dynamic environments with some random events + path quests that involve everyone nearby not

just people in your group.

Combat is not identical. I am not saying this to personally insult you...but you have a limited concept of combat. Regardless of superficial mechanical control similarities the under the hood combat system is drastically different. Real teamplay exists as opposed to the under-implemented combo system. There are more abilities on your bar, they are infinitely more customizable with tiers/amps and you have more non LAS abilities to incorporate.

Even the mechanics are drastically different. You may not -like- telegraphs but that doesnt make them any less well developed and cleanly designed. I suppose what impresses me and I -am- a fanboy of was the flawless incorporation of league style skillshots into a 3rd person game. In fact the best true combat system comp is Smite from a mechanical pov.

Also w/regards to combat is art and color choices. They follow the blizzard policy of visibility over pizzazz; in a wild pvp 15 v 15 you can somehow still make out every telegraph even while they're overlapping in various places. Environments/spell effects -never- occlude your vision.

I'm sorry you feel the need to spread misinformation. It'd be a lot easier to take you seriously if you cited real objectove flaws. You know, "uninspired early game content", "poor repeat low level content, terrible alt game", "inflexible difficulty level, can skew too hard for mixed skill level groups", "high skill cap on class/character control due to mixed mechanics between old game types and new"

Instead you choose to express unsubstantiated inarticulate low detail opinions as facts.

Jarnet87

Yes, let us discuss how awful the Aurin are.

I want to play Dominion but a friend who is getting the game wants to go Exile, because of the Aurin.

Michael-Scott-angry-stare-at-toby.gif

Dunlop

The Aurin are a boon for me.

Being a Granok, I will make a huge target on a PVP server but I count on dominion players getting tunnel vision/bloodlust every time they see a Aurin which leaves me free to squash them.

erragal

The Aurin are a boon for me.

Being a Granok, I will make a huge target on a PVP server but I count on dominion players getting tunnel vision/bloodlust every time they see a Aurin which leaves me free to squash them.

This is brilliant and 100% true. The cutest taunt is the strongest taunt.

erragal

Only six total PVP servers?

I think they're vastly underestimating the number of people that love open world PVP.

I am also skeptical that german and french language rp-pve servers will do better than one rp-pvp server. Maybe they have some weird data about the game demo in those countries...but rpers love to congregate on one server to begin with. We'll see what happens. Looks like Pago or Pergo for me though.

We're going to wait to see where communities like the Yogscast and Goon Squad end up before we choose. If anyone gets info on those let is know.

We're going to wait to see where communities like the Yogscast and Goon Squad end up before we choose. If anyone gets info on those let is know.

I heard that Goon Squad is split 50/50 between a PVP server and the RP-PVE server (as in, they will have a presence on both, not deciding which).

StMeph

Been busy with other things and games, so I've -- sadly -- missed out on the Open Beta weekends to give the game a shot. I've read up on the game somewhat, but some of the details are lacking.

A few questions:
- how does gameplay feel? is it responsive?
- what are Paths like, in practical terms? tacked on? integral to the experience?
- most of the media seems to be about the game's end-game, but how long is it expected to take to hit max level?
- is there cross-realm PvE play? or only PvP?
- how does the game perform on low-end systems?
- what server is GAFguild rolling on?

Top Bottom