• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WildStar |OT| The biggest MMO since the Big Bang

Finally bought the game today. Does anyone have info on joining the Neo Empire Guild on Orias PVE?

I've gotten some messages asking what we're doing on head start for the guild. The current plan is that i'm going to try to get to level 12 or 13 (whichever one allows you to create a guild) as fast as i can and run to Illium to create the guild. We can create a temporary circle before that point, but i don't believe it will take too long to where we should bother. I plan on being on the guild Mumble with a few guild mates, and we'd love to have others come and chat as well! For those of you looking to join but don't have a character name reserved, whisper or add Mortality as a friend in-game once you have your character created. If the servers behave and i don't pass out, i should be able to get the guild up and running that morning.

HowZatOZ

Banned
How is Engineer tanking? Is it even feasible? I'm rolling Chua and so I can't go the traditional Warrior tank so figured I'd try something a bit different.

How is Engineer tanking? Is it even feasible? I'm rolling Chua and so I can't go the traditional Warrior tank so figured I'd try something a bit different.

As far as i'm aware, and from dungeon runs i've done, Engineer is a perfectly fine tank. Warrior was the weakest, but they buffed their threat generation to where i am happy to heal any of the 3. I dislike Stalker tanks the most just because a stealthy person has no business being that tanky, and i get jealous as a squishy Esper.

Edit: there's a new census site, and surprisingly it also shows that Medic is the most popular class. This may be the first game i can recall where Warrior or the equivalent is not the most popular class. link: http://watchwildstar.com/census#share-all-dividedby-character_class

Oh ouch dude, that sucks :( I got mine pretty much instantly and plugged it in, worked fine. Sure it wasn't misspelled at all?

Hard to mess up the ole' ctrl c/ crtl v sir. I got an email from GMG this morning and there was some madness going on yesterday and the code should work now. I'll try it out when I get home.

Ferny

I've been hounding my friend to just watch some of the devspeak videos because I know he would be into it but he kept making excuses not to watch it. I finally made him watch them last night and after watching just Raids and Warplots he was hooked. Bought it and everything.

+1

Hard to mess up the ole' ctrl c/ crtl v sir. I got an email from GMG this morning and there was some madness going on yesterday and the code should work now. I'll try it out when I get home.

They were/are also having issues with code redemption on the NCSoft website. They may still be ongoing, so if it still doesn't work that may be why.

I've been hounding my friend to just watch some of the devspeak videos because I know he would be into it but he kept making excuses not to watch it. I finally made him watch them last night and after watching just Raids and Warplots he was hooked. Bought it and everything.

+1

It's hard to resist the power of the devspeaks.

DrBo42

I've narrowed my choice between Esper and Medic as a main (I always play healer). My only complaint about the Esper are how incredibly dumb their healing constructs are. Balloons, really? Medic's range is a big problem for me but their effects are great IMO. Running out of time to pick.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
It's inevitable that there is a 'best dps' build in any game. The notion that you can just be a unique butterfly and still do the same numbers as someone else has never been true in any game. That said, when your 'required' dps build only takes half of your buttons or less, you have a LOT of room for experimentation and preference. Or even changing things on a fight by fight basis, which is where the smarter player will really shine. Just like how better wow players know when and how to vary their rotations, but in this case it's that and a combination of which abilities will be beneficial.

agreed. EVERY MMO has always supported "play as you want". That was actually one of the sadder days on WoW when they got rid of the traditional skill trees for the new forced trees. The reason they made the change was understandable.. As said... everyone wants to "put up the best numbers" making only a few builds (essentially a top 3 or so) viable to do so. I would guess blizz saw data showing that few enough people were playing outside of those types of builds that it wasn't worthwhile anymore to support the ability to make an open build.

So MMOs are what they have always been. You want to put up ridiculous numbers? Well, there will likely be 2-4 builds that will be heads and shoulders above the rest. Does that mean YOU have to use those builds? It depends on what your primary goal is. If it's to put up those kinds of numbers.. then yes. If it's to play however the heck it is you want to play, then absolutely not.

NIN90

Another stupid question: Bought the game on ebay and only got a headstart code so far. Am I supposed to get another code at some point? Because I used the key but the account page doesn't show that I actually own the game (for example, when I try to add a subscription plan it says that I need to buy the game first) nor do I see the option to download the client.

This is showing up on my transactions page:

Date Applied Item Serial Code Status
29-May-2014 WS-EU: Preorder [BOX: United Kingdom] ****-****-****-****-C2JU Completed

Another stupid question: Bought the game on ebay and only got a headstart code so far. Am I supposed to get another code at some point? Because I used the key but the account page doesn't show that I actually own the game (for example, when I try to add a subscription plan it says that I need to buy the game first) nor do I see the option to download the client.

This is showing up on my transactions page:

Date Applied Item Serial Code Status
29-May-2014 WS-EU: Preorder [BOX: United Kingdom] ****-****-****-****-C2JU Completed

The head start code allows you to play for a couple of days until you recieve the boxed copy, which will then have the full retail code inside i believe. Here's the download: http://wildstarbeta.patcher.ncsoft.com/Wildstar.exe

zonq

Just throwing in that I'd be interested in joining any existing EU guilds as well! Preferably the EN PVP server, but before I'll have to play alone, I'll join wherever :p

Also, is this countdown accurate? Currently on vacation, but I wanna make sure I'm there to get my nickname on most servers, since the nick reserve screwed me over.

Somnia

Uhhh... is a third-party app really a good idea for security authenticators??

Here's the thing. You don't login to anything, google or otherwise. You don't state what it's for. All you do is supply a random QR code from ncsoft and it punches out a random 6 digit code every 60 seconds or so. There's no way to know where the code came from, etc.

Brick

Just preordered off of Amazon. Gonna be a good weekend, me thinks. Especially since I'll be finishing my shiny new PC this weekend as well and need something to christen it with.

Just throwing in that I'd be interested in joining any existing EU guilds as well! Preferably the EN PVP server, but before I'll have to play alone, I'll join wherever :p

Also, is this countdown accurate? Currently on vacation, but I wanna make sure I'm there to get my nickname on most servers, since the nick reserve screwed me over.
If you didn't get your desired nickname through the name reservation because someone else got it, then you can't register that name on any server for two weeks...

But yes, that's an accurate countdown.

Einbroch

Banned

Tankshell

So, bought game yesterday (UK), registered my serial/key against my NCSOFT account, that worked fine. It shows up as an EU serial number correctly.

Downloaded the client, attempt to login aaaaaand greeted with this:

"No valid WildStar game account found for the Europe Datacenter (Game Region). Your Datacenter (Game Region) has been changed to North America. Please log in again."

Anyone familiar with this error message? Is it normal to be getting this message at this point in time before the launch? I know the head start is not until Saturday 31st, I just would have expected to see a different error message to that effect.

Don't want to reach the weekend and still be seeing the same error message whilst you guys are all playing :)

desverger

Anyone familiar with this error message? Is it normal to be getting this at this point? I know the head start is not until Sat 31st, I just would have expected a different error message.

Don't want to reach the weekend and still be seeing the same error message whilst you guys are all playing :)

It's quite normal. Click the small gear icon in the launcher and make sure your region is set to Europe.

I think there is or has been a bug on the launcher that just defaults it to the US occasionally.. but like the message said, just log on again since your previous attempt switched it up.

Tankshell

It's quite normal. Click the small gear icon in the launcher and make sure your region is set to Europe.

I think there is or has been a bug on the launcher that just defaults it to the US occasionally.. but like the message said, just log on again since your previous attempt switched it up.

Launcher is definitely set to Europe. It just repeatedly fails and then attempts to automatically switch between the regions. Neither region logs in successfully...

Blitzhex

So, bought game yesterday (UK), registered my serial/key against my NCSOFT account, that worked fine. It shows up as an EU serial number correctly.

Downloaded the client, attempt to login aaaaaand greeted with this:

Anyone familiar with this error message? Is it normal to be getting this message at this point in time before the launch? I know the head start is not until Saturday 31st, I just would have expected to see a different error message to that effect.

Your game account or key is set to the NA region. Contact support asap they might help you switch your account to EU. What the message is saying is that you haven't got a valid eu account and are attempting to play on eu servers with a na account.

desverger

Launcher is definitely set to Europe. It just repeatedly fails and then attempts to automatically switch between the regions. Neither region logs in successfully...

OH I just read it quickly. Yeah, since it says no account in Europe, you definitely need to contact support and ask that they switch it up for you.

zonq

I don't think that's the case? Unless something has changed... http://www.reddit.com/r/WildStar/co...ervations_unlock_once_the_person_uses/chknt8r

If you reserved the name TharpDaddy, you get to make a character on every server in the first two weeks without fear of someone already taking it after you made your first char.

Oh, I was thinking the same, that the nick gets released as soon as the person created a character with that name. Goddamn! Now there's hoping that the person who reserved the nick plays on NA, and 14 days later, I'm lucky and get the nick. Thanks for the clarification, though.

npanciroli

Neo Member
Well the hype was too much for me and I bought it, will be playing on US PvE servers since I mainly solo and do dungeons in MMOs. Thinking Medic or Warrior for me.

Thanks to whoever posted the GMG code that was the tipping point.

arimanius

Oh, I was thinking the same, that the nick gets released as soon as the person created a character with that name. Goddamn! Now there's hoping that the person who reserved the nick plays on NA, and 14 days later, I'm lucky and get the nick. Thanks for the clarification, though.

Doh me too. I'm pretty sure my names will already be taken.

agreed. EVERY MMO has always supported "play as you want". That was actually one of the sadder days on WoW when they got rid of the traditional skill trees for the new forced trees. The reason they made the change was understandable.. As said... everyone wants to "put up the best numbers" making only a few builds (essentially a top 3 or so) viable to do so. I would guess blizz saw data showing that few enough people were playing outside of those types of builds that it wasn't worthwhile anymore to support the ability to make an open build.

So MMOs are what they have always been. You want to put up ridiculous numbers? Well, there will likely be 2-4 builds that will be heads and shoulders above the rest. Does that mean YOU have to use those builds? It depends on what your primary goal is. If it's to put up those kinds of numbers.. then yes. If it's to play however the heck it is you want to play, then absolutely not.

The real saddest part was making the classes TO "the" build; most of that nerfing was from really really smart dudes still finding wiggleroom to OP status and really really dumb people still finding wiggleroom to gimp themselves. Cue HACKMAIMHACKMAIM on any functionality or player agency. Fun.

I'll also be keeping an eye out for if WS shakes out to have indispensables to sweeten the pot of the classes and specs not top tier. That's where balance really shines, you're always wanted for something.

Shahadan

Try contacting support.

Edit: Carbine just confirmed this is the last time the servers will be up before headstart.

Just wrote a ticket. I really didn't know if I had to write it in english or french, and it wasn't really clear to me, so I hope whoever reads it will understand :p
I've bought my key on GMG, maybe they gave some people an US one? =/

desverger

Now that the servers are up, I took some time and installed a bunch of addons that I can recommend for everyone.

-ClassicQuestDialog: Basically combines all the quest text windows and makes the quest text presentation clean and simple, unlike the horrible mess that it is by default.
-BetterQuestLog: More minimalistic quest log, I find the default one too bulky for my tastes.
-Interruptor: Great addon for seeing those enemy cast bars and interrupt armor.
-JunkIt: Makes managing your inventory easier by providing a better salvage UI.

Taking this time to finally design my character. I don't know if i want to mess with facial sliders. I've been burned too many times by doing so and my character coming out as a hideous fish person.

Somnia

Addons I use

AMPPurchased: Shows you where you can go buy amps within the zone
AuraMastery: Still playing with this one, but you can set it to pop an icon up to tell you when to use abilities after a crit, etc.
BetterQuestLog: Just organizes quests better imo
BijiPlates: Better name plates
ClassicQuestDialog: Adds all the dialog to one window and 1 click to take quest
Galaxy Library: can view gear
GalaxyMeter: DPS log
IconLoot: Adds icons on the screen when you loot, makes it better to see what youre looting
Interruptor: Tells you when you can interrupt spells, not interrupt, etc
JunkIt: Sells junk gear auto
NavMate: Makes better icons on minmap
SpaceStash: Better inventory options and look
Threatmeter: uh duh
TrackMaster: You can track quests and harvest nodes, adds dot line on your screen to it

Einbroch

Banned
Taking this time to finally design my character. I don't know if i want to mess with facial sliders. I've been burned too many times by doing so and my character coming out as a hideous fish person.

I find that all you have to do is make the mouth slider smaller and you're good to go.

Gothos

Hm, is there a direct link for client download? My code for the game will arrive tommorow and I would like to have my client done by then :p Anyone could share the download address for the launching? I belive it's not unique to one's account.

Top Bottom